View Full Version : best norman bbq

blangtang
11-09-2009, 12:21 AM
I have out of town family visiting this week. they have expressed their desire when they arrive to get some 'real deal' bbq. Last time they were here I took them to Harv's. It was a few years ago; don't know if they are still in biz...

I recently had Ray's and thought it pretty good. The relatives seemed to get a kick out of the little bbq shacks.

any suggestions?

thx!

kevinpate
11-09-2009, 07:05 AM
I have out of town family visiting this week. they have expressed their desire when they arrive to get some 'real deal' bbq. Last time they were here I took them to Harv's. It was a few years ago; don't know if they are still in biz...

I recently had Ray's and thought it pretty good. The relatives seemed to get a kick out of the little bbq shacks.

any suggestions?

thx!

If the bldg truly adds to the fun of the meal for them, take them to Vann's on N Porter, an old converted station.

If you want the best Q in town, take them to the Red Zone, or whatever they call the foodie side over at Sooner Legends these days. Danged good eats at the totally revamped old Ramada on W Lindsey.

As you know there are also other places.

Other choices in town are Ray's, which you've done, and Rib Crib and Rudy's.
Of those, I'd vote Ray's, or If your kin is into WWE wrasslin', take them to JR's so they can say they've been. Sayin' you've been may just be the biggest reason to enter, but maybe that's just me. For that matter, Coach's has a passable offering or two, but I can't bring myself to rec any of these over Vann's or RZ

king183
11-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I still like Harv's as the best. Ray's is good, as is the new Iron Starr on campus corner.

BFizzy
11-09-2009, 01:16 PM
The only "real deal" BBQ in Norman is at Van's Pig Stand.

nik4411
11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I would have to recommend vans as well

kevinpate
11-10-2009, 06:55 AM
FWIW, I dinna mean to ignore the up and coming newcomer Iron Starr at Campus Corner.

It's fairly high end though, and I concede my old school bias just dinna
even think to include urban Q on the same plane as 'real deal' Q.

It's still taking a long slow time to get my brain wrapped around good Q and
nice surroundings. I grew up with Q on butcher paper or paper plates for fancy times. I'll get there some day. My preference for Red Zone over Vann's, though not by much at all, proves, even if only to me.

ChargerAg
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
I would vote Ray's I used to be a big fan of the sausage he cooked but that was only until i got the turkey one day. Now I order it every time.

yukong
11-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Ray's without a doubt.

blangtang
11-16-2009, 11:32 PM
well to get back to the subject, we walked friday night to the ironn star and it was okay. they told us it would be an hour to 1.5 hour wait when it was 15 or 20 minutes.

I'd still give rays a big advantage food-wise, but the atmosphere and location for the IS is great. they have some good happy hour specials.

chuckey
12-16-2009, 12:35 PM
regarding this ray's place--where exactly is it in norman?
thanks!

swh113
12-17-2009, 08:25 AM
It's in the old Pizza Hut on West Lindsey...near the Pizza Shuttle

rcjunkie
12-17-2009, 08:46 AM
The name escapes me, but on East Alameda, toward Lake Thunderbird there's a place thats serves excellant BBQ & catfish. Fri. and Sat. nights are very busy, but it's worth the wait and short drive. You can't miss it, just look for all the cars.

I'll post the name as soon as my memorary comes back.

BoulderSooner
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
iron star is great .....

Soonerman
12-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Billy Sims is pretty good. They just opened in Norman by Hastings.

ChargerAg
12-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Where did Billy Sim's BBQ come from? Is Billy Simms really running the place or did he just sell his name? I wonder what Darrel Ray thought we he learned that Billy was starting his own place.

t3h_wookiee
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't know if he's still there, but Harv's had the best BBQ in the area, hands down! Plus he's an awesome man. :)

Uncle Slayton
01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Ray's, in my opinion, is the best bbq in Norman. The "Ray's the Roof" could be the best sandwich in bbq, and Ray and his staff are just good folks.

And the cake...my god.

ChargerAg
01-31-2010, 09:41 AM
What is the "ray's the roof sandwich"? i have eaten here probally 30 times and don't recall ever seeing this sandwich.

nik4411
01-31-2010, 09:47 AM
so far from what i've seen it seems oklahoma bbq favors a sweet sauce. how do you all think OK bbq compares with other regions of the country

Uncle Slayton
01-31-2010, 10:13 AM
What is the "ray's the roof sandwich"? i have eaten here probally 30 times and don't recall ever seeing this sandwich.

It's pork or brisket (not sure about the brisket part, since I never get anything but pork, but there's a choice of meat) topped with a thin-sliced hot link, served on a bun.

Good stuff, and a huge freakin' sandwich.

nik4411
01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
It's pork or brisket (not sure about the brisket part, since I never get anything but pork, but there's a choice of meat) topped with a thin-sliced hot link, served on a bun.

Good stuff, and a huge freakin' sandwich.

wow that sounds great.