View Full Version : MAPS 3 logo observations

Larry OKC
11-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Sorry about the small size, but it is the largest I could find (clicking on the thumbnail does bring up a larger image).

It is the Designer in me, but does anyone else notice something odd about the MAPS 3 logo (link courtesy of Doug)?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/coretoshore/maps3/map3logo.jpg

kevinpate
11-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Well, not sure what you're going for, but I do find it a tad odd that the far left of the logo has three circles, similar layout to a typical traffic light, AND the light that's all lit up is the yellow CAUTION light.

king183
11-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Well, not sure what you're going for, but I do find it a tad odd that the far left of the logo has three circles, similar layout to a typical traffic light, AND the light that's all lit up is the yellow CAUTION light.

That was exactly what I noticed as well.

jbrown84
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
LOL I think you are reading waaaay too much into it.

bbhill
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Its a subliminal thing though. Logo designers do look waaay into their logos and refine to the most minute details. I'm not sure if a professional design company was commissioned for the logo or what, but I do agree that this is somewhat questionable. lol

Larry OKC
11-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Let me begin this by saying this was just a random thought and really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of MAPS 3...just an observation is all

The Circles to the left confer the concept of completeness etc, no problem there.

As kevinpate correctly pointed out, 3 in a row, like they are (especially with the yellow one in the middle) suggest a traffic light. Some questions. Since this is MAPS3, shouldn't the 3rd (bottom) circle be highlighted? And if the traffic light image is valid, the yellow light means "caution, proceed with care". Not exactly a strong message to be sending for the pro-vote. Would be more logical to highlight the bottom circle (again, the 3rd one for MAPS 3) and make it Green (proceed full speed ahead). Can also tie in to any "green" elements of the projects.

kevinpate
11-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Its a subliminal thing though. Logo designers do look waaay into their logos and refine to the most minute details. I'm not sure if a professional design company was commissioned for the logo or what, but I do agree that this is somewhat questionable. lol

Exactly, which just added to the humor of it for me. Between the YELLOW light in the logo and Dawg's KOOL-AID adorned blog entry and post here earlier, I've had lots of merriment for a Monday.

And though none of it was intended, it WAS and IS appreciated. One of my young adult kiddos lives a hair or three due north of Mobile Bay. Doses of merriment, and IDA downgrading to a TS, were very well received at my casa today.

zachnash
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Because I enjoyed reading this thread during the MAPS 3 campaign, I thought I would drop in and direct you to the front page of the City's Web site - City of Oklahoma City | News (http://www.okc.gov)

When I created the logo I didn't intentionally mean for the yellow dot to represent the caution color on a stoplight. It was more for balancing the dots - but after having it brought to my intention I stopped and said, "hmmmm."

So in honor of the passage of MAPS 3 I present to you, the new MAPS 3 logo. Thanks for all the discussion on this topic.

1-2-3...Go

CuatrodeMayo
12-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Cool!

jbrown84
12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Haha. Awesome!

C. B.
12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Very nice! I hope Larry gets a piece of the design fee. :congrats:

proud2Bsooner
12-10-2009, 02:26 PM
This makes me think of one of the great quotes from Mitch Hedberg:

"On a traffic light green means go and yellow means yield, but on a banana it's just the opposite. Green means hold on, yellow means go ahead, and red means where the f*** did you get that banana?"

kevinpate
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
because i enjoyed reading this thread during the maps 3 campaign, i thought i would drop in and direct you to the front page of the city's web site - city of oklahoma city | news (http://www.okc.gov)

when i created the logo i didn't intentionally mean for the yellow dot to represent the caution color on a stoplight. It was more for balancing the dots - but after having it brought to my intention i stopped and said, "hmmmm."

so in honor of the passage of maps 3 i present to you, the new maps 3 logo. Thanks for all the discussion on this topic.

1-2-3...go

nice!

John
12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Because I enjoyed reading this thread during the MAPS 3 campaign, I thought I would drop in and direct you to the front page of the City's Web site - City of Oklahoma City | News (http://www.okc.gov)

When I created the logo I didn't intentionally mean for the yellow dot to represent the caution color on a stoplight. It was more for balancing the dots - but after having it brought to my intention I stopped and said, "hmmmm."

So in honor of the passage of MAPS 3 I present to you, the new MAPS 3 logo. Thanks for all the discussion on this topic.

1-2-3...Go

Well played... :kicking:

betts
12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I like it.

Spartan
12-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Wow. Good thing Larry LIVES for semantics.. this thread made me chuckle.

soonerguru
12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow OKCTalk makes things happen.