View Full Version : lasik surgery!

dmoor82
11-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I had lasik at the Clearsight center F/Gary Wilson it has been the best purchase I have ever made!!! I always had glasses growing up and now I see 20/20 w/o any contacts or glasses! I am so happy! any1 else had this surgery? if so where,and by who?

PennyQuilts
11-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm planning to have it done, next year. I was waiting until we got back home so that I could get touchups at the same place it was done. How old are you, if you don't mind my asking? I know I can expect to wear reading glasses, perhaps, but was wondering how close something needs to be before you need reading glasses. I quilt and was wondering if I'd end up having to wear glasses to do work that is, say, 14 - 18 inches from my eyes.

dmoor82
11-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I am 28 and I am a delivery driver,and I never need reading glasses!but I was told when I get older I might need them! but I plan on having a touchup before then!

kevinpate
11-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Not moi. When your eyes are where mine are, lasik is just an expensive means to lesser prescription lenses.

On the bright side, there's not been a whale of a lot of eye change in the past 20 years, so I don't gritch much.

Luck to you PQ, and to others whom it's already helped.

mugofbeer
11-07-2009, 03:40 PM
PQ, for those of us that are 'of age' for reading glasses.....I got my lasik when I was about 45. I didn't need reading glasses before but I do now and I need the 3.5 power cheapies you buy at Walgreens. Beyond that, I see fine and would highly recommend the procedure - you will be blind without your readers for up close sight, though.

PennyQuilts
11-07-2009, 09:07 PM
PQ, for those of us that are 'of age' for reading glasses.....I got my lasik when I was about 45. I didn't need reading glasses before but I do now and I need the 3.5 power cheapies you buy at Walgreens. Beyond that, I see fine and would highly recommend the procedure - you will be blind without your readers for up close sight, though.

How far out do you need the reading glasses for? What constitutes "upclose?"

mugofbeer
11-07-2009, 10:25 PM
How far out do you need the reading glasses for? What constitutes "upclose?"

I need reading glasses for anything much within 5-6 feet. I'm fine for things like hiway signs. You'll need them for the computer and your desk work.

PennyQuilts
11-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks, Mug. Since I quilt so much, I was worried about that.

Wambo36
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Had my surgery when I was 40. Almost 50 now. Started seeing problems up close in the last year. Normal print I can read up to 18 inches. Closer I use 1.25 readers. All of this is depends on the lighting conditions of course. KP don't take anything for granted. I hope you've been evaluated by an optometrist. My wife had 20/2000 vision with a bad astigmatism and she is seeing 20/20 and 20/30 right now. She had her surgery 10 years ago also.

kevinpate
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Nada taken for granted, but thanks.

Looked into it a few times over the last umpteen years. Have yet to have anyone tell me my own end result would be anything other than a lesser lens prescription. I've the sort of eyes that when I remove the lenses to look at a chart, I can only say "Where'd you move the wall ... the one that had that chart on it silly?"

I've been told the only thing scarier than watching me trying to drive without my specs is watching close enough to be a passenger in the car with me.

(Not sure what all the commotion was about. We managed to keep it between the ditches and we did get home safely.)

Wambo36
11-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I hate to hear that but I fully understand. My wife almost didn't have the surgery for fear it would make her unable to wear contacts. She knew what it was like to be basically blind without contact or glasses. It was somewhat humorous to watch her try to find her glasses when the cat would knock them off of the night stand.

mugofbeer
11-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Whatever you do, don't look for the cheapest. Look for someone who has plenty of experience and charges a fair price. Cheap isn't the way to go with your eyes.

PennyQuilts
11-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Whatever you do, don't look for the cheapest. Look for someone who has plenty of experience and charges a fair price. Cheap isn't the way to go with your eyes.

Agreed. My long time optomistrist is affiliated with an outfit that does them. I am going to talk to him about my options in January. Yes. I have an eye doctor's appointment IN OKLAHOMA! It is exciting to be this close to getting back home.

Wambo36
11-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Check with your eye doctor to see if the group he's affiliated with ever runs specials. Our eye doctor steered us towards TLC at the time, because that's who he's affiliated with. I think they were the most expensive back then. He told us about specials that we qualified for because of our professions that knocked the price down by a third or a fourth. That made them comparable to everyone else.

PennyQuilts
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Check with your eye doctor to see if the group he's affiliated with ever runs specials. Our eye doctor steered us towards TLC at the time, because that's who he's affiliated with. I think they were the most expensive back then. He told us about specials that we qualified for because of our professions that knocked the price down by a third or a fourth. That made them comparable to everyone else.

Mine is also affiliated with TLC - great tip, thanks.

ronronnie1
11-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Lasers and my eyes *cringe* However, there is a surgery being performed down in Panama where they can actually change your eye color. Brown eyes to blue. OMG, what I wouldn't do for blue eyes. I should thankful - being genetically blessed and all, but still... Vanity reigns supreme.

Bunty
11-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Just get blue colored contacs.

Bunty
11-23-2009, 11:58 PM

You could have gotten laserized for mono vision and not even need reading glasses. But some people can't adjust to monovision. In other words, one eye would be adjusted to favor near vision while the other eye would be adjusted to favor distant vision. That's how my contacts are adjusted and so I don't need reading glasses when wearing contacts. But my clearest vision like for looking at my old coins, my jewelry, or whatever close up work, is without using any lenses or glasses at all. My eye doctor wondered, though, if I would miss that nearness vision without glasses because laser surgery even adjusting for mono vision might take it away. But as much as it costs to get contacts every year, it's still kinda tempting to go for lazik surgery.

flippity
12-03-2009, 08:10 AM
I have really bad astigmatism and I wear gas permeable (hard) lenses and have since i was 13-14. I"m 40 now...someone told me that you have to not wear contacts for one month for each year you've worn contacts...so if i stopped wearing contacts now I'd be able to get the surgery in 2+ years....is this still true with the new technology? just curious. I can never get a pair of glasses that I can see well out of.

mugofbeer
12-03-2009, 08:21 AM
You could have gotten laserized for mono vision and not even need reading glasses. But some people can't adjust to monovision. In other words, one eye would be adjusted to favor near vision while the other eye would be adjusted to favor distant vision. That's how my contacts are adjusted and so I don't need reading glasses when wearing contacts. But my clearest vision like for looking at my old coins, my jewelry, or whatever close up work, is without using any lenses or glasses at all. My eye doctor wondered, though, if I would miss that nearness vision without glasses because laser surgery even adjusting for mono vision might take it away. But as much as it costs to get contacts every year, it's still kinda tempting to go for lazik surgery.

My surgery was about 6 years ago and this is an area where technology advances each year so I am sure there are things available today that weren't around when mine was done. Talk with the doctor about what is out there ( which I know you said you did, but for the other folks) .

Bunty
12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I have really bad astigmatism and I wear gas permeable (hard) lenses and have since i was 13-14. I"m 40 now...someone told me that you have to not wear contacts for one month for each year you've worn contacts...so if i stopped wearing contacts now I'd be able to get the surgery in 2+ years....is this still true with the new technology? just curious. I can never get a pair of glasses that I can see well out of.

My girlfriend has both astigmatism and near sightedness that requires very high powered correction. After having a couple of corrective touch-ups she is very happy she had lasik done. She had it done in her mid 40's. But do ask an eye doctor about how well of a lasik surgery candidate you would be.

Not wearing contacts for one month for each year worn is a new one on me.

mugofbeer
12-04-2009, 10:15 PM
My girlfriend has both astigmatism and near sightedness that requires very high powered correction. After having a couple of corrective touch-ups she is very happy she had lasik done. She had it done in her mid 40's. But do ask an eye doctor about how well of a lasik surgery candidate you would be.

Not wearing contacts for one month for each year worn is a new one on me.

I'm not trying to get you in trouble with her but about how old is she? She sounds like she is in the same boat as I am at 50.

ExtremistPullup
06-21-2010, 02:45 PM
I had lasik at the Clearsight center F/Gary Wilson it has been the best purchase I have ever made!!! I always had glasses growing up and now I see 20/20 w/o any contacts or glasses! I am so happy! any1 else had this surgery? if so where,and by who?

same here best money I've ever spent.

Its funny Gary Wilson's picture on is website must be 30 years old though.

They took a picture of me with him after the surgery and I was who is this guy.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8762/compareeu4.jpg

dmoor82
06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
same here best money I've ever spent.

Its funny Gary Wilson's picture on is website must be 30 years old though.

They took a picture of me with him after the surgery and I was who is this guy.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8762/compareeu4.jpg

WOW! thats the same guy?geez! yea, Clearsight center is a little more expensive than others around but they have the best equipment and most experienced staff!still The best purchase I've ever made!

gemani
10-06-2010, 03:54 AM
hi;
i have share very use full information Pros of the nose right: It really works in making nose smaller, your nose is made up of 80 percent cartilage so molding it is a scientific and medical principle that not all are aware of. When you get the actual nose right tool you have to read and review the instructions because there are many ways to use the actual nose right
thanks
-------------------------------------
nose right scam (http://healthmad.com/medicine/nose-right-review/)