View Full Version : North Park Mall

Patrick
08-09-2004, 10:32 PM
North Park Mall has always offered a nice variety of upscale local shops. In the 1970's the mall did extremely well and remained fully occupied. But in the late 1980's and 1990's the mall declined. At one point, things at the mall were so bad off that the entire south half of the mall was closed off to the public. Since that time several new tenants have moved into North Park and all of the common places have been reopened. But, the mall still has a lot of vacant areas. I'd say, just from looking at it, North Park is probably about 60% leased. North Park could use the same thing 50 Penn Place could use......namely, anchor stores, preferably, two, one at the north and one at the south ends. Unlike 50 Penn Place, North Park has the space to work with. And it is a large enough mall to support two upscale department stores. The locaton seems to be great...right in the heart of Quail Creek, not far from Nichols Hills, and still close to Edmond.

The one thing North Park could really use though is a renovation plan. Unlike 50 Penn Place, North Park hasn't seen a renovation. It still has the old dark brown brick floors from te 70's. With the right redevelopment plan and committments from 2 major anchors North Park could be an awesome upscale shopping destination. The cinema already seems to attract quite a few people to the mall. Add a couple of new large anchor stores, and you'd have the perfect mix.

Here's their website in case you were interested: http://www.northparkmallokc.com/

http://www.photolms.com/northpark2.jpg

mranderson
08-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Actually, Northpark is across the street from Quail Creek. It is in front of Camelot.

A lot of people think Quail Creek is extreemly high end, however, I can almost afford a home there myself. Here is what we could do with Northpark.

Close it and convert it into a Nordstroms, Bloomingdale's or Macy's. :D

Patrick
08-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Actually, with Northpark's size, you could make it into three or four department stores. It's actually a pretty good sized mall. And it actualyl has quite a few stores right now, so it isn't like it's vacant by any means.

It depends on which end of Quail Creek you're talking about. There are some homes back there that are over a million bucks!

Thunder
07-13-2008, 08:02 PM
There a store that mom saw on tv, Oh My Gosh, that she thought was interesting. We don't know where the North Park mall is, so can someone direct me? lol I should take her out there by surprise. We always joke around why the store is named, Oh My Gosh, specifically with customers repeatly saying that when they look at the prices. lol

The past Christmas, I think the day after or two, I specifically instructed my brother to say Oh My Gosh whenever mom ask him where he got her the (forgot name of it), because she wanted a different color. Well, I planned the timing, when we talked about it and I told her to just ask him. So, she called on him, he came, and then asked where he got it at. He said... Oh My Gosh. The expression on her face was priceless. Bro didn't know about a store named Oh My Gosh, just that I instructed him to say it. I just burst out laughing. It seem mom took him seriously, just her expression was priceless.

I'm not sure what Oh My Gosh sells, but I should take her out there to check it out. Location, please. lol

CCOKC
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
The Se Corner of North 122nd and May

okcustu
07-13-2008, 08:09 PM
122nd and May take Hefener Parkway north to 122nd and go left

Or from 235/broadway ext make a right from 122nd exit

Toadrax
07-13-2008, 08:09 PM
It would be neat if they could take one of our crappy dying malls, and make them ultra modern living arrangements for younger people. We would have own our private movie theater and it could be fun. :D

FritterGirl
07-13-2008, 08:13 PM
122nd and May take Hefener Parkway north to 122nd and go left

Or from 235/broadway ext make a right from 122nd exit

Huh?? Go left? Where?

Hefner Parkway is West of May Avenue. Therefore, one would take the Hefner Parkway north to 122nd, then turn RIGHT and travel approx. 1.5 miles eastward to May Avenue.

Northpark is located on the SE intersection of 122nd and May, so again, you'd turn RIGHT - either onto May Avenue (at which point you could turn left into the mall), or you would continue straight on 122nd, and then turn RIGHT into the north side of the mall.

Thunder
07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks, guys. The only thing that is helpful is 122nd and May. I guess this is in Edmond? I'll start on the highway, probably north on I-35. I get off on 122nd, go west to May?

okcustu
07-13-2008, 08:32 PM
not quite edmond still south of quail springs

OKCDrummer77
07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
No, 122nd doesn't go all the way through from I-35 to May. You could use Hefner or Memorial to do that. Also, you could use the Kilpatrick Turnpike. That would be much faster, but would cost $1.00.

GWB
07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks, guys. The only thing that is helpful is 122nd and May. I guess this is in Edmond? I'll start on the highway, probably north on I-35. I get off on 122nd, go west to May?

Google is your friend. oh my gosh oklahoma city - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=oh+my+gosh+oklahoma+city&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

okcustu
07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
No, 122nd doesn't go all the way through from I-35 to May. You could use Hefner or Memorial to do that. Also, you could use the Kilpatrick Turnpike. That would be much faster, but would cost $1.00.

no take 235/broadway ext

MonkeesFan
07-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow, I never heard of that mall and I lived in Oklahoma all my life! *hangs my head in shame*

FritterGirl
07-13-2008, 09:02 PM

Thunder, if you're going up from the Mid-Del area, you've got a couple of options if you want to avoid I-35 and the turnpike, since you'll have to pay to get on the turnpike.

1. Take I-40 west all the way across to I-44 going East (North) towards Tulsa. This will eventually turn into I-77, or what is called the "Hefner Parkway." 122nd street is approximately 10 miles north of I-40, about 1 mile north of Lake Hefner. At 122nd Street, you'll turn right (East), and continue East to May Avenue. The mall will be across the street on your right.

2. Take I-40 west to I-235 and then exit onto I-235 heading North. Exit at 122nd street, and turn left (west). Continue west on 122nd for approximately 5 miles. When you get to May Avenue, the mall will be on your left.

This is a small mall by today's mall standards. It houses mainly locally-owned boutique shops - mainly women's clothing, home decor and a few gift shops, including a high-end pet shop, a B.C. Clark's Jewelers (assuming it's still there) There are also a few restaurants - a CityBites, Poblano Grill Mexican Restaurant, and Shogun Japanese restaurant. There is also a $1 movie theatre. By far, one of the most popular places there is a large store called the Shoe Gallery, which sells "discount" fashion shoes, clothing and accessories.

If you are going to spend the gas money to go up there, you might as well make a day of it and head up to Quail Springs Mall, too, which is only a mile north of North Park, along Memorial Road between May and Penn.

Thunder
07-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I'll take route #2. lol

I-235, is that the one just before downtown or to the west of the state fair park?

kevinpate
07-14-2008, 04:12 AM
it is the one just east of downtown

SeinfeldBlock
07-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Way too much discussion on how to get to 122nd/May.

That mall (imo) doesn't have a shot either. I was in there in say, 2003, and there was absolutely nothing to offer. It was dead then.

Didn't I see in the news a few months ago that someone was assaulted there (in front of the movie theatre)? My friend worked there and her car was broken into numerous times. Honestly, I'm not the least bit impressed with that whole area. I used to live there and said no thank you to it all.

I just don't get Oklahoma City and their super nice neighborhoods RIGHT NEXT to a horribly run-down area.

hipsterdoofus
07-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I just don't get Oklahoma City and their super nice neighborhoods RIGHT NEXT to a horribly run-down area.

Yes...we should make sure that poor people can only build next to other poor people, and we should put a moat in between them and the rich people.

FritterGirl
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Way too much discussion on how to get to 122nd/May.Not when people ask specifically HOW to get there.

That mall (imo) doesn't have a shot either. I was in there in say, 2003, and there was absolutely nothing to offer. It was dead then. Have you been there lately, say, in the past 5 years or so? Obviously not. This is a "neighborhood" mall, one that provides specialty stores that for the very most part, are one-of-a-kind (in the City), and locally owned.

Just because a mall doesn't offer the same plebian chain retail franchises that other malls have does not mean it "does not have a shot."

Didn't I see in the news a few months ago that someone was assaulted there (in front of the movie theatre)? My friend worked there and her car was broken into numerous times. Honestly, I'm not the least bit impressed with that whole area. I used to live there and said no thank you to it all.

There was an assault there a few months ago. It was a very RANDOM occurrence. Not sure when your friend worked there. It might have been years ago.

Truth be told, the occupancy rate of Northpark has been steadily on the increase, with better and more quality stores going in every day.

Not sure what beef you have with the area, either, unless you are referring to "apartment row" on 122nd, which I will admit is not the greatest place to be. The experience there, however, is not at all different from the experiences in other cities where multiple apartment complexes are allowed to be built back to back to back.

The surrounding neighborhoods, including Quail Creek (north and south of 122nd), and even Camelot, which is experiencing a revival of sorts, are extremely NICE upper middle-class parts of town.

metro
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I have to agree with Frittergirl, if anything Northpark has been on an incline for quite some time, it's in better shape than Crossroads Mall. It's mainly all boutique upscale stores.

CCOKC
07-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Ill throw my two cents in about North Park. I have to agree with Metro and Fritter Girl that this mall is a real gem. These are the type of stores I wish we had in downtown. Mostly local upscale that are unique to the city. Definitely give it a try if you haven't been there lately.

hipsterdoofus
07-14-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't know that they get much business in North Park, but they at least keep up the building nicely. My wife went and walked there a lot when she was pregnant...not lots of people there, but its pretty nice inside all the same.

SeinfeldBlock
07-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Have you been there lately, say, in the past 5 years or so? Obviously not. This is a "neighborhood" mall, one that provides specialty stores that for the very most part, are one-of-a-kind (in the City), and locally owned.

Just because a mall doesn't offer the same plebian chain retail franchises that other malls have does not mean it "does not have a shot."

Funny, I didn't say anything about wanting it to offer "chain retail franchises."

I used to live in Camelot, too.

Joe Kimball
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
It's a pleasant mall. I eagerly anticipate more fruits of their incline.

The movie theater is a slight exception, according to my last visit. I once coughed during a movie and the screen shook.

hipsterdoofus
07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
It's a pleasant mall. I eagerly anticipate more fruits of their incline.

The movie theater is a slight exception, according to my last visit. I once coughed during a movie and the screen shook.

I agree that the movie theater is the seediest part of the mall...but I was always glad to have a dollar theater nearby.

metro
07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Shogun's restaurant is always constantly packed and usually you have to call ahead for reservations.

SoonerDave
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Shogun's restaurant is always constantly packed and usually you have to call ahead for reservations.

Which was precisely the case for our family Saturday night....Shogun's was packed, and yummy as always.

My wife and I go there once a year for our anniversary, plus maybe one extra time for a treat, but I must admit in the evenings the mall is mostly closed and at least "kinda" spooky. Not "I'm gonna get jumped" spooky, but just "eerily inactive," if that makes sense.

Several years ago, there was a big sign out front of NorthPark promising that a big "demalling" was on tap, but it never happened...as I recall, Kambers had a very nice store at North Park several years ago, and I think Streets had a ladies clothing store there....

solitude
07-14-2008, 03:19 PM
FritterGirl nailed it. Northpark Mall is a gem of a mall. You find mostly upscale and locally-owned stores and even the Shoe gallery and the theater aren't all that bad. In fact, the theater is much better since Starplex took over.

Bad neighborhood? The only thing I can think of surrounding Northpark that's not the greatest is the apartment complex to the mall's northeast. It was a wonderful place at one time, but yeah, it's gone down a few notches, but other than that you have nice, clean upscale neighborhoods.

Karried
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
They do have some really nice upscale stores and it's a great place to walk. Poblanos is great for lunch and if you want to hit a Dollar movie, that's there too.

I don't shop there often as I find their prices very expensive ( but they do carry some nice quality items) You get what you pay for I guess.

It's a nice mall.

ddavidson8
07-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I used to live in both Camelot and Quail Creek. I grew up in the area. If you can honestly say, besides the apartment row already mentioned, that the area is undesireable you are nuts. It's one of the nicest areas in the city besides Nichols Hills. It's definately older, but I'm sure most of those homes have held their value or appreciated.

And if you think you've seen nice areas right next to crappy areas, you obviously haven't been to the armpit of America - Houston.

jbrown84
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
That mall (imo) doesn't have a shot either. I was in there in say, 2003, and there was absolutely nothing to offer. It was dead then.

I will join everyone else in completely disagreeing with everything you said. Northpark, although it went through a dry spell and near-closure, has found a niche in local boutiques and women's stores and is at almost full occupancy. If it doesn't have anything to offer for you, then stay away, but there's plenty of people that disagree, even if the only attraction is the restaurants and the theatre. Northpark also benefits from a much more attractive exterior than maybe ANY mall in OKC and definitely more attractive than Quail Springs and especially Crossroads.

The area around it is also very nice.