View Full Version : OUHSC ranked #4 on top academic institutions

silvergrove
11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Best Places to Work: Industry 2009 - Top 40 US Institutions (http://www.the-scientist.com/fragments/bptw/2009/academia/bptw-academia-top40.jsp)

Our low cost of living helps a lot with the pay compared to universities on the east coast. I noticed that infrastructure/environment was a weakness for the Health Sciences Center but that could be due to the "anti-stem cell" bill that our legislator tried to shove through.

dismayed
11-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Lots of good news about central Oklahoma these days. Thanks for posting this.

Dar405301
11-02-2009, 09:51 PM
as impressive as that is, the fact that the samuel roberts noble foundation in ardmore is number nine, giving OK 2 of the top 10 spots, is amazing. priceless. only california had 2 institutions in the top 10. i was elated to see that table. thanks for sharing!

Patrick
11-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm surprised they mentioned "infrastructure" being a downside, since we have a million different crains up right now, and construction happening all over the place.

mugofbeer
11-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm surprised they mentioned "infrastructure" being a downside, since we have a million different crains up right now, and construction happening all over the place.

Yeah, it would be interesting to get more information on that issue. I can't imagine with all the development out there in the last 20 years that, if nothing else, infrastructure would be one of the main PLUSSES.

Pete
11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Perhaps they are judging the infrastructure on the present and not all the construction that is in progress. Still, great distinction!

They also had the same weakness for UCLA which is strange, especially considering it's on the main campus and adjacent to Westwood Village and the nicest parts of L.A.

johnnyincog
11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
more info

Elevating Youth :The Scientist [2009-11-01] (http://www.the-scientist.com/2009/11/1/47/2/)

Patrick
11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Perhaps they are judging the infrastructure on the present and not all the construction that is in progress. Still, great distinction!

They also had the same weakness for UCLA which is strange, especially considering it's on the main campus and adjacent to Westwood Village and the nicest parts of L.A.
Maybe all they were looking at is the old childrens hospital building which is a dump. Everything else has been completely rebuilt. They're nearing completion of a complete remodel of Presby tower (brand new ER and trauma center, brand new diagnostic center, brand new ICU's, brand new and expanded OR, new outpatient surgery center, working on new step-down ICU's) and Everett Tower (the new childrens hospital and womens/newborn pavilion) was completely gutted as it used to be University Hospital. All of the academic buildings have been refurbished and there's a new Allied Health building. Family medicine center isn't all too old. OU physicians building (aka the crystal palace) is pretty first class. The expansion of the Stanton Young research building was completed awhile back. Work is always being done at the research park. Current construction projects include: just completed 14 story OU childrens physicians building, the new childrens hospital atrium and parking garage, expansion of Dean Mcgee eye institute, OU cancer building, OU diabetes center, OU surgery center, new research building at OMRF, etc. Plans are in the works to demolish the Presby parking garage and expand the hospital to the east.

Dustin
11-05-2009, 01:13 AM
http://www.manhattanconstructiongroup.com/wp-content/gallery/20090204020256/3188_ouci_project_sheet_1.jpg

Very excited about this building going up!! The OU Cancer Institute is really going to propel us in the medical world!