View Full Version : Police Checkpoint tonight

jstanthrnme
10-31-2009, 01:35 PM
The OK County Sherrif is setting up a checkpoint tonight. Obviously they want to keep the location as secret as possible, but do any eyes and ears out there know where they will set-up?

betts
10-31-2009, 01:41 PM
What are they checking?

jstanthrnme
10-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Drinking, Drugs, Insurance, Tags...pretty much anything with regards to driving vehicles.

I'm hoping they don't set up somewhere between here and Norman tonight, because the last thing I want to deal with after the game will be waiting with all the other traffic at a checkpoint.

Hawk405359
10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Heh, I wonder if another state employee will send an angry e-mail after this one.

kevinpate
10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Heh, I wonder if another state employee will send an angry e-mail after this one.

what does a state employee have to do with a county sheriff checkpoint? is the county So tag teaming with OHP or some other agency?

Hawk405359
10-31-2009, 02:38 PM
what does a state employee have to do with a county sheriff checkpoint? is the county So tag teaming with OHP or some other agency?

There was a story on the news about it a little big back. When they did the last checkpoint, there was a man arrested for having drug possession who was a state employee. He used his state account to send an angry e-mail (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11228080)to the Sheriff about it, who not only responded, but passed along the fact that this guy had used a state computer to do this.

I was just pondering if we'd see a similar situation this time.

mrbob
10-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I bet they will be around Bricktown tonight, all lot of 21yr old kids will be dress up and most business are having low dollar shooters and drink specials.

oneforone
10-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Traditionally, the sheriff's does not do check points on OKC streets because OCPD does their own. The checkpoint is usually on off ramp or in one of the suburban cities like MWC, Del City, Choctaw,Bethany, Warr Acres etc. If you come acrossed it be ready for a long wait. Every vehilce is stopped and checked. The main thing they are checking is license and insurance. The rest they catch while checking those items. I had to go through the one at NE 10th and Spencer Road just a few weeks ago.

In my opinion, your stupid if you drink and drive on a holiday weekend. Your ten times likely to get caught. Even the smaller cash strapped cities have extra officers out on any holiday when parties are present. I rode with an officer on Halloween a couple of years ago. He made two DUI arrest within about a two hours of each other. Each time the person was just driving stupid. One ran a red light right in front of him doing about sixty.

dismayed
11-01-2009, 09:19 AM
I still get a kick out of Norman setting up a checkpoint on I-35 itself a couple years ago after a game, bringing all highway traffic to a stop. The public outcry was so tremendously negative that the city council basically had to hold a press conference and promise never to do that again.

kevinpate
11-01-2009, 09:32 AM
There was a story on the news about it a little big back. When they did the last checkpoint, there was a man arrested for having drug possession who was a state employee. He used his state account to send an angry e-mail (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11228080)to the Sheriff about it, who not only responded, but passed along the fact that this guy had used a state computer to do this.

I was just pondering if we'd see a similar situation this time.

I forgot ALL about that Darwin moment. Sheesh.

soonerguru
11-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I still get a kick out of Norman setting up a checkpoint on I-35 itself a couple years ago after a game, bringing all highway traffic to a stop. The public outcry was so tremendously negative that the city council basically had to hold a press conference and promise never to do that again.

That is so like the Norman cops.

wsucougz
11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
take us to county.

edcrunk
11-01-2009, 03:01 PM
take us to county.
Hahah, Take us to county, take us to county, take us to county, take us to county!

nik4411
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM
yea they have checkpoints in norman quite often.

jstanthrnme
11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
This checkpoint was on SW 15th between Portland and Meridian. 26 Arrested.

NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-county-sheriffs-checkpoint-nets-26-arrests/article/3413844?widgetOffset0=50&custom_click=headlines_widget#comment)

MsProudSooner
11-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I was there!

I got my new insurance verification a couple of weeks ago so I knew I was in good shape. I handed it to the cop and he said "It expired 3 days ago." He carried it over to someone else, then walked back and said, "Oh, it says 2010!"

Superhyper
11-05-2009, 12:58 PM

I didn't think they were allowed to do that, doesn't the federal Highway bill have restrictions on what local police can do?

OKCRT
11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
If the police get their way with Maps3 you will possibly see many more of these check points. Just something else to hold someone up and waste their time.

kevinpate
11-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Nopers.

If those opposing MAPs3 succeed, it doesn't put one thin dime into the public safety arena. It just means the current 'temp' tax expires on cue, unless extended for another reason before it expires at the end of its run.

No extra roadblocks, not a one.

Chance23
11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
I didn't think they were allowed to do that, doesn't the federal Highway bill have restrictions on what local police can do?

Local LEO tends to operate in their own bubble, regardless of what anyone else says. Until they get caught doing something huge, they don't change anything.

dismayed
11-08-2009, 11:44 AM

I believe that was part of the problem, yes.

Chef
11-08-2009, 01:46 PM
If the O.C. Police Officers would set-up 5 or 6 of these everyday they could get the City back in the black in no time. The City could afford to hire 200 more Officers, who could do 5 or 6 more. The City could be rolling in cash, the Officers could come out and support MAPS and get back on our good side.

RealtorJoe
11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
If the O.C. Police Officers would set-up 5 or 6 of these everyday they could get the City back in the black in no time. The City could afford to hire 200 more Officers, who could do 5 or 6 more. The City could be rolling in cash, the Officers could come out and support MAPS and get back on our good side.

I believe money from tickets and what not goes to the city general fund. So it would not directly affect the budget of OCPD.

andy157
11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I believe money from tickets and what not goes to the city general fund. So it would not directly affect the budget of OCPD.Your exactly right, revenue generated by traffic fines does go to the General Fund. According to the supporters, and the City, the massive revenue generated by MAPS 3 will go to the General Fund as well. The City claims the Police will benefit from MAPS 3 because the pie will be so much bigger. So why wouldn't the P.D. benefit from the additional fine revenue? Whats the difference?