View Full Version : Conan O'Brien Pokes Fun at OKC

soonerkev
10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
I was on Hulu and came across this clip from The Tonight Show. I am not sure when this was, but it is just further reasoning why I am not fan of Conan. Hulu - The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: Everyone Works In Oklahoma City! (http://www.hulu.com/watch/86343/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-everyone-works-in-oklahoma-city)

jstanthrnme
10-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Its a joke! C'mon, lighten up. Him saying Oklahoma has a high employment rate on the Tonight Show is publicity you can't buy!

Dave Cook
10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
You're just further reasoning why we need more people in this city with a sense of humor.

LakeEffect
10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
You're just further reasoning why we need more people in this city with a sense of humor.

:congrats:

circuitboard
10-29-2009, 07:46 PM
LOL I thought it was funny, it's just a joke! :LolLolLol

hipsterdoofus
10-29-2009, 07:52 PM
dang - you find that offensive? To me its even funnier because i don't think OKC is known for hookers, and dumpster divers - he could have come up with something more realistic and it may have hurt more i suppose.

kevinpate
10-29-2009, 07:53 PM
dang - you find that offensive? To me its even funnier because i don't think OKC is known for hookers, and dumpster divers - he could have come up with something more realistic and it may have hurt more i suppose.

who knew Conan and Brian Bates partied? :LolLolLol

hipsterdoofus
10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
who knew Conan and Brian Bates partied? :LolLolLol

Yeah he could have been a lot rougher - he basically just did a comedy bit that doesn't make fun of OKC at all...

Dave Cook
10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
And the official spoke with a realistic Oklahoma accent, too.

I'm so dern offended, I could just pert near spit nails.

z28james
10-29-2009, 08:38 PM
thats a funny clip, good okc name drop too.

ddavidson8
10-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Go back and watch the last three or four seconds. The fact that the PR man and hooker walk right in front of Conan shows that the joke is on him as much as anyone in OKC.

smooth
10-29-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't find that the least bit funny. Just another way for outsiders to take the stereotype and say "see, I told you they were all rednecks."

VERY bad publicity.:numchucks

hipsterdoofus
10-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't find that the least bit funny. Just another way for outsiders to take the stereotype and say "see, I told you they were all rednecks."

VERY bad publicity.:numchucks

What is redneck about that skit? people need to lighten up.

jstanthrnme
10-29-2009, 09:30 PM

Yeah he could have been a lot rougher - he basically just did a comedy bit that doesn't make fun of OKC at all...

He had some jokes about Newark NJ a few weeks ago, which were pretty funny.

Hulu - The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: Mayor of Newark Bans Conan (http://www.hulu.com/watch/99366/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-mayor-of-newark-bans-conan)

gen70
10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Jokes are made about all cities at one time or another. No big deal.

metro
10-30-2009, 08:00 AM
This was posted back in August.

http://www.okctalk.com/arts-entertainment/17993-tonight-show-w-conan-obrien-3.html

hipsterdoofus
10-30-2009, 02:57 PM
He had some jokes about Newark NJ a few weeks ago, which were pretty funny.

Hulu - The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: Mayor of Newark Bans Conan (http://www.hulu.com/watch/99366/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-mayor-of-newark-bans-conan)

True - ended up getting the city a lot of publicity as well as a huge donation to the mayor's charity...so sounds like Mick needs to get on the ball and ban Conan from OKC ...he's probably too busy pushing maps though.

dcsooner
10-30-2009, 05:05 PM
That was too funny, not disrespectful at all. Loosen up

gmwise
10-30-2009, 05:52 PM
All he is doing is trying to get a "FREE" trip and vacation to OKC out of the Chamber..lol

smooth
10-30-2009, 06:32 PM
That was too funny, not disrespectful at all. Loosen up

Anytime someone makes Oklahoma City look like a bunch of hick rednecks, it's disrespectful. We are trying to change that stereotype, not compound it.:numchucks

gmwise
10-30-2009, 06:50 PM
1st we need to get rid of people like Sally Kern to overcome the Oklahoman stereotype.

venture
10-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Stereotypes are there for a reason. You want us to talk with more nasal and be cosmopolitan like New York? Got a lot of work to do.

Local Oklahomans and companies probably push the stereotype more than Conan and any other person out there though. Why not complain about Oklahoma Farm Bureau insurance? Jude, Jody and Sons? Cattlemens? How about all the people the local news puts on air? How about the local media just in general? While I will say that a lot of them are plain spoken with a more Midwest/Great Lakes accent (in other words, not really one at all)...you have folks like Linda and Robin that have a pretty thick Okie accent.

Is it bad? No. It is just who Oklahomans are. Many of us transplants don't really care about it, we'll shrug it off and move on. We can probably come up with dozens of things to make fun of the areas where we were raised. People will come here regardless if the cost of living is low, well paying jobs are plenty, and the community is safe and inviting. Eventually you become numb or immune to all this stereotypical garbage or retarded politicians that are stuck in the 1930s way of thinking. For the most part, whatever Sally Kern or whomever spews about...doesn't impact me. Yeah it can be upsetting, but it doesn't stop my daily routine or cause me to change things up. I'm going way off on a tangent now, but I'll wrap it up saying people give too much weight to comics, politicians, etc on just how much impact they have on your daily life. I watched the skit, laughed, found it some what entertaining, and then moved on and haven't given it any other thought.

hipsterdoofus
10-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Anytime someone makes Oklahoma City look like a bunch of hick rednecks, it's disrespectful. We are trying to change that stereotype, not compound it.:numchucks

I still don't see what was redneckish at all about that - the hookers? The dumpster divers? It was a very generic bit and its pretty sad if you think it makes okc look bad.

venture
10-30-2009, 09:40 PM
I still don't see what was redneckish at all about that - the hookers? The dumpster divers? It was a very generic bit and its pretty sad if you think it makes okc look bad.

The only thing I could tell would be the southern accent and cowboy tie thing. OH NOES!!!!

Jon27
10-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Wait wait wait......so a TV personality makes a joke about OKC. We have one of the best economies and lowest unemployment rates. Doesn't look like people are thinking we're a buncha backass rednecks. To me, the joke is on HIM. California is almost bankrupt. I was in LA a few years ago, it ain't that great. The entire city is covered in spray paint, and the traffic makes I-40 look like a country road.

Now on the flip side, if the joke was talking about Lincoln Nebraska, and something about a corn shuker. We would all think this was hysterical.

Matt
10-30-2009, 09:51 PM
This so-called "skit" is probably the worst thing to happen to our fair city since the May 3rd tornado.

Shame on you, Coco. Shame on you.

hoya
10-31-2009, 12:40 AM
I must say, that was hilarious. It's the standard Conan comedy style, no different than when he had a TV come down with Bob Dole's face on it. It's his normal "fake" news, stuff that's so over the top ridiculous that everyone knows it's fabricated.

gmwise
10-31-2009, 08:49 AM
..... stuff that's so over the top ridiculous that everyone knows it's fabricated.

sorted like the local TV news..or the local weather woodymen..

okcpulse
10-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Okay, guys, I had all my friends here in Texas watch the skit, and while we all thought it was humorous, no one thought any less of OKC. In fact, they have a positive impression of OKC (at least those that have been there).

You guys need to stop being so hard on yourselves.

smooth
10-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Okay, guys, I had all my friends here in Texas watch the skit, and while we all thought it was humorous, no one thought any less of OKC. In fact, they have a positive impression of OKC (at least those that have been there).

You guys need to stop being so hard on yourselves.

Friends in Texas? That says it all. :ou2

jstanthrnme
10-31-2009, 12:20 PM
appearantly someone needs the services of a horny dude relaxer...

windowphobe
10-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Geez, people. We're talking Conan O'Brien here. The same Conan O'Brien who used to present on a semi-regular basis a Masturbating Bear.

smooth
10-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Geez, people. We're talking Conan O'Brien here. The same Conan O'Brien who used to present on a semi-regular basis a Masturbating Bear.

Yes. Granted. Conan is a terrible "comic." (I can't stand him) Obsene and rude. However, it could be the greatest, cleanest comic in history and that bit would still be offensive.

bandnerd
10-31-2009, 06:33 PM
I thought it was funny, especially the bit about the urban outside coin collector. That part rung pretty true!

Some people need to remove the sticks that are so far wedged up their *()@)#$('s that they can't even take a joke. How many of us have said something negative about somewhere/someone else? We all have that blood on our hands. We should be able to both dish AND take.

dalelakin
10-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Bitter party your table is now available...Bitter your table is now ready.:pat_head:

kevinpate
11-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Bitter party your table is now available...Bitter your table is now ready.:pat_head:

[Oklahoma City] Tragedy struck a local eatery earlier today, with 38 deaths.
OKCPD Detectives believe the sad turn of events all began with one young and inexperienced hostess.
"Near on as we can figure, the lass called out for a table for the bitter party, and that right there is when the stampede began. We're still looking for the remains of the hostess, but she was a tiny thing, new to the area, so she just dinna know she was calling the entire wait area at once. To compund matters, these were all your typical size locals. Y'all won't be wanting footage, I can assure you of that."

Yeah, I warped.

gmwise
11-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Kevin....

Tisk tisk..

lol

trousers
11-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Dr...we have a patient that needs a piece of lumber extracted from their anal cavity.

zuluwarrior0760
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM
First of all, this bit was mildly funny.....and I don't take it as a "shot"
at OKC, but a satirical view of skewed unemployment numbers.

Second, OKC is the most sensitive city on the planet by and large,
and maybe they have a right to be but it's time to put all that behind.

The same people who take offense to this are the people who beam with pride when Reba McEntire's voice comes over the airport PA system to say which celebrities are "from Oklahoma"...I'm not aware of many other large cities that still feel the need to name drop at their own airport......

hipsterdoofus
11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
The only thing I could tell would be the southern accent and cowboy tie thing. OH NOES!!!!

No kidding - the spokesman looks more stereotypical texan than someone from OKC - thats whats so funny - people getting their panties in a wad about something that doesn't even represent OKC....Maybe we should send "In your corner" to investigate this heinous act!

venture
11-01-2009, 09:16 PM
First of all, this bit was mildly funny.....and I don't take it as a "shot"
at OKC, but a satirical view of skewed unemployment numbers.

Second, OKC is the most sensitive city on the planet by and large,
and maybe they have a right to be but it's time to put all that behind.

The same people who take offense to this are the people who beam with pride when Reba McEntire's voice comes over the airport PA system to say which celebrities are "from Oklahoma"...I'm not aware of many other large cities that still feel the need to name drop at their own airport......

So agree with you on OKC people being way to sensitive. It is like listening to 6 year old saying he is a big boy and not a little kid anymore and not to make fun of him. This city has that stupid "Big League City" bullcrap stuck in their head and how goo-goo people go after every little poll/ranking comes out. Get over it people. Those of us that live enjoy it and know it is a great city, but the attitude and the chest thumping that we are big boys now is getting old and just childish.

About the airport thing, I've only seen small city airports do the whole local celeb announcing the names of the other local celebs. Again, desperation of trying to act like a "big boy" instead of being proud of your city and working on things to make it better. Talk is cheap...move on.

Stan Silliman
11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
You want to see jokes about Oklahoma City? Come to my show Nov 9th. Geesh.

kevinpate
11-03-2009, 09:39 AM
You want to see jokes about Oklahoma City? Come to my show Nov 9th. Geesh.

where, time, order #, ticket price, smoke free or not, etc.?

Stan Silliman
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
where, time, order #, ticket price, smoke free or not, etc.?

I've got a note about under "Arts & Entertainment". At the Speakeasy NW 51st & Western. Monday 8:30 to 10:30 SMOKE FREE & FREE to get in.

It's a nice little place. I'll do about 40 minutes with a few OKC jokes.

ourulz2000
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
That made me laugh - thanks Conan - lighten' up people.

smooth
11-03-2009, 12:28 PM
That made me laugh - thanks Conan - lighten' up people.

I guess if a bad comedian (I use the term comedian loosly) making fun of a city that has a redneck stereotype image and that city is trying to show it is no worse than any other major city, is your idea of funny, I guess that is your right... I for one, will live in the REAL world. Anyone who makes fun of my city is on my crap list.:fighting2

kevinpate
11-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I've got a note about under "Arts & Entertainment". At the Speakeasy NW 51st & Western. Monday 8:30 to 10:30 SMOKE FREE & FREE to get in.

It's a nice little place. I'll do about 40 minutes with a few OKC jokes.

Thanks Stan. Been meaning to take in one of your sets (danged ol' life interjections anyhow.)

Hopefully, Monday eve will remain as clear as it presently appears to be.

hipsterdoofus
11-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I guess if a bad comedian (I use the term comedian loosly) making fun of a city that has a redneck stereotype image and that city is trying to show it is no worse than any other major city, is your idea of funny, I guess that is your right... I for one, will live in the REAL world. Anyone who makes fun of my city is on my crap list.:fighting2

Geesh, I think people who get overly defenseive give us a bad image - you have to be able to take a joke.

Stan Silliman
11-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks Stan. Been meaning to take in one of your sets (danged ol' life interjections anyhow.)

Hopefully, Monday eve will remain as clear as it presently appears to be.

So Kevin, did you make it out? I didn't meet you if you did. I ended up doing a 75 minute set which included a smathering of Oklahoma City jokes.

kevinpate
11-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Nopers. Had the choice to go out and play or stay home and fetch tea for my reason for living who has been way under the weather. Easy choice.

Please keep plugging them dates, and eventually I'll have my stars aligned.