View Full Version : Are the Police more aggressive these days?

mheaton76
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey this could just be me...but has anyone else noticed that the police seem to have a stepped up aggressive posture these days?

I used to never get speeding tickets in OKC, but have had three in the last year - I'm not driving any faster than I have in the past and generally try to keep it within 5/10 over at the very most. The last three tickets they have consistently said I was going 5/7 mph more than what my speedometer read when I've been pulled over.

Also, and this kind of freaked me out, I was driving to the thunder game yesterday and was driving to la luna to grab a bite. I turned on 10th street from broadway to try an approach from the west to avoid the Ford Center traffic. A police officer turned and followed me nearly the whole time.

I can't think what I could have possibly been doing wrong or to raise any suspicion. I drive a late model Volvo, Tag is current, lights are good - and I'm pretty clean cut. Still, I was being followed...and I was freaked out because everytime those lights flash behind me it seems to work out to about $125 dollars outta my pocket.

Is it just bad luck, or?

Midtowner
10-29-2009, 01:17 PM
That stretch between 13th and 23rd on Broadway is a big 'ol speed trap. Nice open road, no traffic, 30MPH limit and plenty of places to hide. My assistant got a ticket there just last month.

mheaton76
10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Once I noticed I was being followed I think I was seriously hovering at about 20 mph just to be on the safe side.

OKCTalker
10-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Evan White may feel a little paranoid about getting ticketed, and it's not from the pot.

mugofbeer
10-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Cops gotta make those quotas! City gotta make some money!

smooth
10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey this could just be me...but has anyone else noticed that the police seem to have a stepped up aggressive posture these days?

I used to never get speeding tickets in OKC, but have had three in the last year - I'm not driving any faster than I have in the past and generally try to keep it within 5/10 over at the very most. The last three tickets they have consistently said I was going 5/7 mph more than what my speedometer read when I've been pulled over.

Also, and this kind of freaked me out, I was driving to the thunder game yesterday and was driving to la luna to grab a bite. I turned on 10th street from broadway to try an approach from the west to avoid the Ford Center traffic. A police officer turned and followed me nearly the whole time.

I can't think what I could have possibly been doing wrong or to raise any suspicion. I drive a late model Volvo, Tag is current, lights are good - and I'm pretty clean cut. Still, I was being followed...and I was freaked out because everytime those lights flash behind me it seems to work out to about $125 dollars outta my pocket.

Is it just bad luck, or?

You may need your speedometer checked. They DO get out of calebration on occasion. The judge will believe the cop before the defendant. It has been that way for decades. On occasion, a defendant will prove a case, but it is rare.

The cop following you. Well! it's just a car. The cop have just been behind you. Do you really believe a cop should say "oh. There's a citizen in front of me. I guess I should change lanes." Not rational. They are drivers who have the right to the road. Yes. I say paranoid.

If any of those citations were in School zones, then you deserve a citaion... Even for one mile over. Most experienced cops will give you a warning on occasion if you are nice and let them do their job. The fact you have been cited before and it shows on their records check is probably why you get cited a lot. My advise? Slow down and obey the traffic laws.

No. They are no more aggressive than 30 years ago.

mheaton76
10-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I will get the speedometer checked...That is a good suggestion.

Hawk405359
10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Maybe you've just become more inattentive to things like speed when driving? I've had it happen before, especially when I make a drive over and over again. I commuted an hour to school for several months and one of those days I noticed lights behind me. I looked down and realized I was going 15 over. I couldn't tell you I was going that fast then, and I can't say I didn't deserve a ticket.

mheaton76
10-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Yea, one of things that changed was the commute...norman to okc every day. I really have tried to be a good boy when it comes to speed though, especially after the first two tickets ... the thing that surprised me was the speed they said I was going versus what I saw on the speedometer (usually 5 to 7 mph difference).

soonerguru
10-29-2009, 06:36 PM

Is it just bad luck, or?

No, you are not being paranoid. They are definitely going after more inner-city traffic violations than they have in the 17 years I've lived here. Seriously, you used to have to try to get a moving violation in the city in the past.

Now I frequently see them staked out all over town. Perhaps this is a revenue-oriented change due to their huge TWO PERCENT budget cut.

Dustin
10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I've noticed Edmond police are really agressive but not OKC. There are at least three Edmond cops I see on my way to UCO every day.

bdhumphreys
10-29-2009, 07:44 PM

Do you have a "Yes for MAPS!" bumper sticker?

I'm just sayin....

mheaton76
10-29-2009, 07:58 PM
A big Yes for MAPS! banner prominently displayed on the Volvo, Blair. lol...

hipsterdoofus
10-29-2009, 09:11 PM
I know I don't ever see OHP on broadway EVER - used to see them on LHP. Wish they'd be there ticketing the idiots that don't get over when the lane ends at 36th street - don't even get me started.

soonerguru
10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I now have Yes for MAPS yard signs. Will the cops bring the K-9 unit around for a sniff?

mugofbeer
10-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I dont know if cops are being more aggressive but those intersection cameras certainly are!

MikeOKC
10-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I know I don't ever see OHP on broadway EVER - used to see them on LHP. Wish they'd be there ticketing the idiots that don't get over when the lane ends at 36th street - don't even get me started.

Is the part of the Broadway Extension you're talking about a state or federal highway? They're on LHP because it's a state highway. They are not a state police as some states have, they are, in fact, Highway Patrol with certain specific jurisdiction.

LakeEffect
10-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Is the part of the Broadway Extension you're talking about a state or federal highway? They're on LHP because it's a state highway. They are not a state police as some states have, they are, in fact, Highway Patrol with certain specific jurisdiction.

Broadway Extension is US 77, so wouldn't they have jurisdiction? I recall seeing a OHP car with someone pulled over in the past 6 months. That said, almost every Sunday trek up to Edmond for church, we pass OKC cops on Broadway Extension. I've always wondered why they cover Broadway Ext. so much, but the OHP doesn't...

hipsterdoofus
10-30-2009, 06:44 AM

I'm talking about all of it I guess - I've seen some up at like Britton or so parked under the bridge, but not very often.

I was more looking for a way to gripe at the idiots that cause all the traffic problems at 36th by not getting over even though there is a sign that says "lane ends" - I think we need some stop sticks in that lane :bright_id

iron76hd
10-30-2009, 07:28 AM

Their juridiction is the State of Oklahoma. City streets, state highways, Interstates. If it is in this State it's their juridiction. Their are special rules for the turnpike, but that's a long story.

5/7 mph over? I can't imagine having the time to stop that when their are so many others 15-30 over everywhere..

Most of the time if you see several officers or troopers working a certain area it's due to recent traffic accidents due to speed or specific complaints from citizens.

OKCTalker
10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Broadway Extension is US 77, so wouldn't they have jurisdiction? I recall seeing a OHP car with someone pulled over in the past 6 months. That said, almost every Sunday trek up to Edmond for church, we pass OKC cops on Broadway Extension. I've always wondered why they cover Broadway Ext. so much, but the OHP doesn't...

Broadway Extension is also I-235, which gives OHP rights to it.

okcmomentum
10-30-2009, 09:01 AM
The last three tickets they have consistently said I was going 5/7 mph more than what my speedometer read when I've been pulled over.

If you have larger wheels than the stock wheels on your vehicle I understand that will throw the accuracy of your speedometer off as well.

hipsterdoofus
10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Broadway Extension is also I-235, which gives OHP rights to it.

I don't jurisdiction, but I believe it is like this - I-35 from I-35/I-40 up to I-44, Broadway Extension North of that, the whole thing is US 77, but the whole thing is not 235.

Kerry
10-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Here is a little trick that has saved me. I drive through rural Georgia a lot and when I get to a little town I use my cruise control to make sure I don't speed. As I approach and leave a small town I set my cruise control at every speed limit sign. That way I don't find myself speeding up in a 35 mph zone just because I am use to driving faster. It really helps.

hipsterdoofus
10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Here is a little trick that has saved me. I drive through rural Georgia a lot and when I get to a little town I use my cruise control to make sure I don't speed. As I approach and leave a small town I set my cruise control at every speed limit sign. That way I don't find myself speeding up in a 35 mph zone just because I am use to driving faster. It really helps.

Except most cars I know of the cruise doesn't work below 45.

workman45
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Except most cars I know of the cruise doesn't work below 45.

I've used that trick many times and never had a problem setting 35 in any of my Ford's.

so1rfan
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I get out of a speeding ticket by telling the officer that I am so intoxicated I didn't see the speed limit sign. He generally forgets all about the speeding violation.

Blazerfan11
10-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Here is the guy doing the anti-police push polls wink wink

kd5ili
10-30-2009, 10:58 AM
My wife has a great way of getting out of tickets...actually a pair of them.

hehehehehe

-Chris-

Kerry
10-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I've used that trick many times and never had a problem setting 35 in any of my Ford's.

I have never tried to see how slow I can go on crusie control, but I also drive a Ford and have never had a problem setting it at 35. If yours can, this is the best way to avoid speeding - even if there is other traffic around.

hipsterdoofus
10-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I have never tried to see how slow I can go on crusie control, but I also drive a Ford and have never had a problem setting it at 35. If yours can, this is the best way to avoid speeding - even if there is other traffic around.

I don't think I've tried in my car but used to have a ford ranger that would not do below 45, I believe - also noticed that on other cars.

DaveSkater
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Get a nav man from RadioShack for under a hundred bucks and use the MPH readout on it. GPS calculated speed is way more accurate than that dial in your dash. Especially if you've modified the original tires or wheels. Mine is always spot on when I drive by one of those radar speed signs (with the readout). It indicates that my car's speedo is off by 6mph.

And use the cruise when you can.

Hawk405359
10-31-2009, 11:37 AM
The cop following you. Well! it's just a car. The cop have just been behind you. Do you really believe a cop should say "oh. There's a citizen in front of me. I guess I should change lanes." Not rational. They are drivers who have the right to the road. Yes. I say paranoid.

Come on now, every citizen who has a cop car pull out behind him thinks that. Even if it's nothing 99 percent of the time, you naturally have that moment of "oh crap, what'd I do?" when you see a cop car pull out after you pass.

I know that it's them returning to the station, going on another call, or a dozen of other reasons they have for it, but it's still the initial thought. Once one scared me witless when it pulled out behind me and turned out on the lights, only to pull over the person ahead of me after I pulled over. I hadn't been speeding and I knew it, but those initial thoughts are based solely on your first instincts.

smooth
10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Come on now, every citizen who has a cop car pull out behind him thinks that. Even if it's nothing 99 percent of the time, you naturally have that moment of "oh crap, what'd I do?" when you see a cop car pull out after you pass.

I know that it's them returning to the station, going on another call, or a dozen of other reasons they have for it, but it's still the initial thought. Once one scared me witless when it pulled out behind me and turned out on the lights, only to pull over the person ahead of me after I pulled over. I hadn't been speeding and I knew it, but those initial thoughts are based solely on your first instincts.

You might read the ENTIRE post I quoted. The poster said "the entire time." That is NOT a "moment of 'oh crap.'" It's longer.

gmwise
10-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Hawk...
Guilt does affect us all...

Hawk405359
10-31-2009, 12:47 PM
You might read the ENTIRE post I quoted. The poster said "the entire time." That is NOT a "moment of 'oh crap.'" It's longer.

I did read the entire post, I just don't think there's anything paranoid about it. It's normal when someone is aware of the presence of an authority figure to feel like you are the reason they're there, just like it's relief when they inevitably make a turn you don't or don't follow you when you stop. Even if you know logically that they have to drive to different places like everyone else, there's still that anticipation and worry that they will turn their lights on because of your actions.

It'd be one thing if he thought every officer was stationed where they were because they were looking for him, but getting anxious if an officer spends time behind you? I think most citizens would be. This is especially true when it's someone like a police officer who most of us only ever come into contact with under "bad" circumstances.

Hawk...
Guilt does affect us all...

How do you know I'm guilty? Are you following me!? I swear it was like that when I got it!!

bbhill
10-31-2009, 12:58 PM
I'd say yes the cops are more vigilant these days. There is one cop in particular that parks in front of my home apartments in okc in an unmarked patrol car no less than 2-3 times per week. Speed limit is 25 on a long stretch of straight road that really should have a limit of at least 30 or 35, but the cop will pull over someone going 26. Not a school zone or anything. I'm not sure how this is in any way related to a police officers duty of preserving the peace, but oh well. . .

Urban Pioneer
10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I now have Yes for MAPS yard signs. Will the cops bring the K-9 unit around for a sniff?

I had three signs in the yard and all three were trashed this morning.

gmwise
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM
....How do you know I'm guilty? Are you following me!? I swear it was like that when I got it!!

likely story..if it doesnt fit you must acquit...lol

MikeOKC
11-01-2009, 02:39 PM
1) Concerning OHP, I didn't realize they now had jurisdiction anywhere in Oklahoma. It certainly hasn't always been that way. They were Highway Patrol and not a state police agency. When did that change?

2) I agree that there are many arrogant and bullying cops, however, I have done ride alongs with officers and have been shocked at what they have to put up with. For example, I can be pretty liberal when it comes to economics, maybe "populist" is a better term, but socially I can be fairly conservative on some issues. I part ways with my liberal brethren on matters of race and this whole victimization among blacks crap spouted by Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and many others. What I have seen time and time again on ride alongs is eye-opening and can't be denied --- cops have to deal with so many black males and their hip hop culture which lacks respect for property, lacks respect for authority, they will not cooperate if it involves "ratting out" another black male, and just dealing with that alone every night garners my respect for most cops. I couldn't do it. This whole race thing is a cultural problem that nobody is allowed to talk about without being called a racist. Some things are just too obvious to ignore. White people commit many crimes, black people commit many more violent crimes and the investigations are always harder due to the cultural law of not talking to the police. I'm liberal on most things, but I will not rollover and drink the Kool-Aid, I can see and think for myself.

kevinpate
11-02-2009, 07:19 AM
1) ... cops have to deal with so many black males and their hip hop culture which lacks respect for property, lacks respect for authority, they will not cooperate if it involves "ratting out" another black male, ... the investigations are always harder due to the cultural law of not talking to the police.

If it makes any difference, the same 'code of silence' will often preclude forward progress in the following situations:

cops talkin on other cops, either to the prosecutor or to the defense team aiding the cop (might reveal sumthin on sumone else ya know)

street defendant associates, of any race, talking straight up to a defendant's attorney or investigator. Tough at times even when defense folks are hired, and not appointed by the court.