View Full Version : Connie Chung working with Chamber?

Blazerfan11
10-28-2009, 09:42 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs078.snc3/14552_183581633614_581033614_3775652_1026290_n.jpg

Steve
10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Oh boy, that brings up memories. A much-needed distraction back in those dark days - the Connie Chung Memorial Museum (a portapotty), the t-shirts, the cheers when she left... I'm pretty sure it was the bombing that killed her career.
The hatred and sorrow at the heart of everything was way too raw - it was far easier to hate on Chung. And in an odd way, for whatever reason, I still can't stand her.

ronronnie1
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
I vaguely remember the whole Connie Chung/OKC bombing dust up. My cousin told me about the "Bite Me, Connie" t-shirts, but I don't remember what she said to deserve the hate?

I'll google for the quotes.

Steve
10-28-2009, 11:48 PM
In our darkest hour, she was interviewing Jon Hansen and suggesting that we were a hick town, a third world country, with inadequate emergency personel and hospitals to handle the mess. She was very, very condescending.

Dustin
10-29-2009, 02:33 AM
B!1C# is what she is... im glad she got fired right after that insensitive comment she made.

Platemaker
10-29-2009, 07:05 AM
And in an odd way, for whatever reason, I still can't stand her.

I feel the same way!

OKCTalker
10-29-2009, 07:17 AM
She should be forced to marry Maury Povich as punishment. Wait - she already DID!

Pete
10-29-2009, 08:42 AM
A month after her condescending on-air interview with the OKC fire chief, she was forced out as co-anchor on the CBS Evening News.

She and Rather had not been getting along for some time and over their two-year partnership, their news ratings hit the cellar.

The OKC interview was more or less the final straw and when she was demoted by CBS, she was far less than gracious.

Steve
10-29-2009, 09:17 AM
It's amazing how delusional condescending people can be. They think they're the smartest people in the world, constantly talk down to others and amazingly don't realize how much they're hated.
Glad there's no one like that here on OKC Talk. They make ordinary discussions almost unbearable.

Doug Loudenback
10-29-2009, 11:08 AM
:bow::bow::bow:

mugofbeer
10-29-2009, 04:38 PM
It's amazing how delusional condescending people can be. They think they're the smartest people in the world, constantly talk down to others and amazingly don't realize how much they're hated.
Glad there's no one like that here on OKC Talk. They make ordinary discussions almost unbearable.

Come on Steve, if this little hick town had more Democrats, less churches, rail transit and more "hip" places to party on the weekends, Connie would have been far more gracious and professional with the Chief.

I wish the clip of her interview and the response the Chief gave to her was on UTube somewhere. It is truly one of the all time classics.

Steve
10-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Mug, you just had to be there to understand it. This wasn't about being hip or not - she seemed to think we didn't even have hospitals.
Seriously.

soonerguru
10-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Mug, you just had to be there to understand it. This wasn't about being hip or not - she seemed to think we didn't even have hospitals.
Seriously.

I always cite this example when people try to say we don't have a "negative" image elsewhere! How can that be construed as positive? This is like the lazy East Coast view.

Surely our image has improved since then -- largely because of the bombing coverage itself.

Still, it's just hard for some people in OKC to accept that a lot of people out there have no idea OKC is even a city.

Steve
10-29-2009, 08:13 PM
The truth is, and I say this having once lived on the east coast and still having loved ones on the east coast, that this is part of fly-over country for them. Majority of folks are either ignorant and condescending of anything west of Ohio or east of Nevada.

Lauri101
10-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I feel the same way!

I still have my tshirt that says

"Will Rogers never met Connie Chung"

After all these years, I still dislike the idiot!

mugofbeer
10-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Seriously.

I'm sorry Steve, I guess my attempt to be funny didn't come accross. I was kidding. (smile)

Believe me, I saw it. It was a rare classic moment of TV that made her look like a pompous ass.

Steve
10-29-2009, 09:27 PM
No offense taken. Sometimes these message boards lose tone of response, etc.
You should have seen her arrive in her stretch limo...
On the flip side, Tom Brokaw was a class act. His calliber of journalism is sadly missing these days. Rather came later on. Don't remember much about Jennings, other than he was in the mix.
There was no Fox or MSNBC, just CNN. I also remember getting really pissed because I had been blocked from seeking interviews with survivors and their families at what's now OU Medical Center, and yet Oprah got the red carpet treatment.
Anyway, I'm sure this whole thread is taking a totally different direction than intended by Blazer, so I'll shut up now. This reminds though - I'll need to be sure to get back my "brick" cell phone and press pass from the museum pretty soon.

Blazerfan11
10-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I will try and locate the clip and youtube-a-matize it.

metro
10-30-2009, 08:03 AM
No offense taken. Sometimes these message boards lose tone of response, etc.
You should have seen her arrive in her stretch limo...
On the flip side, Tom Brokaw was a class act. His calliber of journalism is sadly missing these days. Rather came later on. Don't remember much about Jennings, other than he was in the mix.
There was no Fox or MSNBC, just CNN. I also remember getting really pissed because I had been blocked from seeking interviews with survivors and their families at what's now OU Medical Center, and yet Oprah got the red carpet treatment.
Anyway, I'm sure this whole thread is taking a totally different direction than intended by Blazer, so I'll shut up now. This reminds though - I'll need to be sure to get back my "brick" cell phone and press pass from the museum pretty soon.

I hear Zach Morris is looking for a new cell phone, if you get your "brick" cellphone back, you might want to sell it to him.

Steve
10-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Nah, actually I'm quite fond of that phone. Spent many a night cruising OKC streets with that five-pound technological marvel, looking for "good" crime stories to crank out. The bombing marked the end of my stint as a cop reporter.

Urban Pioneer
10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I met Brian Williams at the memorial anniversary last year and was thoroughly impressed how real he is. He is a good segway from Brokaw and showed genuine humility and empathy while here.

The worst person that I have experienced in this town Jerry Seinfeld. As much as I liked the shoe, the man is an ass on the level of Chung.

Blazerfan11
10-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Wish we could be more creative in the types of people we bring to town. Why is it always jerks like Seinfeld? This country is flooded with talent, I wish we could go for more cutting-edge stuff. We don't have to be Austin, but we should strive for getting acts that would encourage people from all over to come to OKC and spend their $$$$.

CCOKC
10-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I met Brian Williams at the memorial anniversary last year and was thoroughly impressed how real he is. He is a good segway from Brokaw and showed genuine humility and empathy while here.

The worst person that I have experienced in this town Jerry Seinfeld. As much as I liked the shoe, the man is an ass on the level of Chung.

Brian Williams was on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" last week and was truly hilarious. Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=35&prgDate=10-24-2009) .

Matt
10-31-2009, 10:29 PM
I hear Zach Morris is looking for a new cell phone, if you get your "brick" cellphone back, you might want to sell it to him.

Nah, he's still good:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/917/zackphone.jpg