View Full Version : Halloween 2009 and the past:..

Generals64
10-28-2009, 11:52 AM
What do you remember about Halloween?....I know this will be a short viewed thread but I can really remember some of the Best of Times on Trick or Treat night....And you???????

papaOU
10-28-2009, 03:19 PM
What do you remember about Halloween?....I know this will be a short viewed thread but I can really remember some of the Best of Times on Trick or Treat night....And you???????

I posted this on another thread but I'll do it again here.

Tainted treats. It seems that all the stories concerning trick-or-treat candy that has been tampered with are a myth. Any instances of this sort are usually limited to one family and the person doing the tampering is a relative. That's not to say we should let our guard down.

My favorite memory is the fresh popcorn balls or caramel apples.......

MsDarkstar
10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I have so many memories of Halloween...

One year, my mom was in the hospital on Halloween so my grandpa took me trick-or-treating. That year one of the older neighbor boys & his friends hid in the bushes and jumped out to chase us unsuspecting younger kids.

Then there was the year that one of the neighbors, who was in the Air Force, put on his flight suit complete with helmet & sat very still on the front porch. Everyone thought hew as a stuffed dummy but when you got close to see for yourself he'd grab you. Sad that nowadays if someone did that they'd probably get in trouble :/

Other memories...
- when I got too old to trick-or-treat, I decorated the courtyard like a haunted graveyard & handed out candy.
- my great-grandmother's homemade caramel apples (Yes Generals64 I'm talking about the one you know!)
- Went to a church sponsored Halloween event one year NE of Norman; they had the goriest scariest haunted house I've ever been to.
- the church Halloween parties when I was growing up...back then, we dressed up & it wasn't unusual for there to be Sunday School teachers dressed like witches and vampires. Looking back on it now, I can see how odd that was lol.

Generals64
10-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Ms. Darkstar:...your Great Grandmother made a Cinnamon = Dipped candied apple....boy I wish you hadn't mentioned that...making me hungry. I miss the fun we had with ALL the kids in the neighborhood. I remember one Halloween that even the guys that didn't like you or you didn't like all got along together that one night of the year. There was a group from another neighborhood came over and started some junk with the younger kids....Bullies in otherwords...our Bigger guys took care of the situation so we all went around form them and got them their candy.....The Homemade Costumes that our parents could come up with makes me question many things again...Burnt Cork made a good beard for a hobo....How many young guys would dress up like a girl back then was hilarious.....your mom's bra with Water Balloons in them....Got cannon fodder afterwards also. .... Those were the days.....Popcorn Balls....home-made fudge...FRESH HOT COOKIES>>>Yee-Haw..

Generals64
10-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Well, tonight's the night...All the spooks and Goblins will be knocking on your front door expecting some sort of Treat......PapaOU, even though there is a game tonight (OSU vs. TEXAS) you gotta provide a nice candy treat....

papaOU
10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Well, tonight's the night...All the spooks and Goblins will be knocking on your front door expecting some sort of Treat......PapaOU, even though there is a game tonight (OSU vs. TEXAS) you gotta provide a nice candy treat....

no, no.................

OU home and plays at 6:00 as well.

Thinking about propping the screen door open and leave the porch-light on.....

When the kiddies ring the bell or knock on the door............

My 2 yearold pit will hit the front door barking and growling......

I may have a yard full of candy.......

Or a front porch covered with poop...........

gen70
10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
ha! Ha!

Generals64
10-31-2009, 09:06 PM
ha! Ha!

I have a 18 month 1/2 pit and 1/2 American bull Dog....He was scared to death tonight. We only had 26 trick or treaters.....I told my wife not to put thecoffin out there....she never listens.....I have plenty of Candy to eat though. that's why I Love her so...she always thinks of me...

CCOKC
10-31-2009, 09:53 PM
My neighbor and I decorate our houses for Halloween and dress up to give candy to the little and not so little ones. My house is on a major street in inner NW OKC so people see our houses and stop just to look. My neighbor bought his house because it looks like a big castle and he loves to decorate for Halloween. He has the best decorated house in town and puts me to shame. This year he dressed like an mummy and his wife was a female mummy which is a regular mummy wearing a tutu. We had trick-or-treaters steady from about 6:15 to 9:15. Usually, I shut the light off about 8:45 and call it a night. This year they just kept coming. I don't know why, maybe it was the warm weather for October 31st, Saturday night, full moon, the end of daylight savings time or just the combination of all of that. The kids coming after 9 were young too. Like toddler young. I couldn't believe it. Those kids should have been in bed by then.

FRISKY
11-01-2009, 12:24 AM
We give new, crisp $100 bills to all the Trick-or-Treaters that come to our house. So far it has cost us $0. I thought we had a Trick-or-Treater one year, but it was just a tumbleweed blowing across the front forty. ;)

papaOU
11-01-2009, 01:58 AM
I have a 18 month 1/2 pit and 1/2 American bull Dog....He was scared to death tonight. We only had 26 trick or treaters.....I told my wife not to put thecoffin out there....she never listens.....I have plenty of Candy to eat though. that's why I Love her so...she always thinks of me...

Well mine is a full-blood very large blue. we sometime call him big head. Anyone that sees him falls in love with him and are astounded by his size.

Maybe the coffin is for you old timer.............

papaOU
11-01-2009, 01:01 AM
My neighbor and I decorate our houses for Halloween and dress up to give candy to the little and not so little ones. My house is on a major street in inner NW OKC so people see our houses and stop just to look. My neighbor bought his house because it looks like a big castle and he loves to decorate for Halloween. He has the best decorated house in town and puts me to shame. This year he dressed like an mummy and his wife was a female mummy which is a regular mummy wearing a tutu. We had trick-or-treaters steady from about 6:15 to 9:15. Usually, I shut the light off about 8:45 and call it a night. This year they just kept coming. I don't know why, maybe it was the warm weather for October 31st, Saturday night, full moon, the end of daylight savings time or just the combination of all of that. The kids coming after 9 were young too. Like toddler young. I couldn't believe it. Those kids should have been in bed by then.

If you go to NW 45 and Portland, turn east there are 2 homes there that really go out. One is built similar to a castle and a very large tree in the front yard is carved to look like a dragon. Pretty cool anytime of year day or night.

papaOU
11-01-2009, 01:37 AM

Norman had their trick or treat Friday night so as not to conflict with the game Saturday night..............

gmwise
11-01-2009, 07:44 AM
I remember my youth,so every year I make the porch inviting,dressing up as Gomez Addams, lots of candy ready, and every year I always have to go out and get my victims....lol

bandnerd
11-01-2009, 08:30 AM
We never did much for Halloween--very rural area. One year, my mom and sister were in a nearby city for ballet class, and dad and I were at home by ourselves. Someone actually came to the door to trick or treat. We were not prepared, so dad ended up going in the back and raiding the stash of candy that had been purchased for the band boosters. He came back, smiling, with two king size Snickers for the trick or treat kids.

They were quite happy with us.

papaOU
11-01-2009, 11:20 PM
no, no.................

OU home and plays at 6:00 as well.

Thinking about propping the screen door open and leave the porch-light on.....

When the kiddies ring the bell or knock on the door............

My 2 yearold pit will hit the front door barking and growling......

I may have a yard full of candy.......

Or a front porch covered with poop...........

Well no candy or poop either.......

someone did close the screen door.........

then unscrewed the porch-light.......

these Hispanics have no sense of humor

CCOKC
11-02-2009, 12:22 PM
If you go to NW 45 and Portland, turn east there are 2 homes there that really go out. One is built similar to a castle and a very large tree in the front yard is carved to look like a dragon. Pretty cool anytime of year day or night.

It's 44th. Trust me on this.

papaOU
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
It's 44th. Trust me on this.

You are correct.