View Full Version : Are you ready for some propaganda!!!

Blazerfan11
10-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Went to KFOR Today and looked at the number on the coming MAPS3 ad campaigns. In the 2 weeks before the vote they will be running $75,000 worth of ads. The campaign is being run by Normanite Pat McFerron and CMA Strategies.

metro
10-27-2009, 10:09 AM
That's not much for TV ads. Besides who cares when it's PRIVATELY funded. It's not taxpayer dollars being spent.

FritterGirl
10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
...and it's no more propogandist than any campaign that could be launched from the opposition, nor the push-polling that is currently underway. Not really getting your point, there, Blazer. As metro noted, $75,000 in the local market across what I'm going to guess is a generous cross-section of top-rated programs, plus news, over the three major networks, plus some cable, is really NOT that much.

Blazerfan11
10-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Consider the $5,000,000 that goes to the chamber in tax dollars. That allows the excess to go to these campaigns.

That's not much for TV ads. Besides who cares when it's PRIVATELY funded. It's not taxpayer dollars being spent.

metro
10-29-2009, 08:56 AM
If I'm not mistaken, there are ways to find out who the donors are and how much they donated, etc. Personally I don't care, the Chamber is not out to make a profit for themselves, but the City, and I strongly believe they help improve the quality of life. I'm not going to fear-monger over this. And again, $75,000 for a tv campaign is not much money.

OSUFan
10-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Consider the $5,000,000 that goes to the chamber in tax dollars. That allows the excess to go to these campaigns.

No it doesn't. They can't use any city funds to fund their campaigns.

betts
10-29-2009, 09:18 AM
They ask for donations to fund campaigning like this. I don't know if donations comprise their entire budget, but they do get them.

OSUFan
10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
I would think it is all public info. It would be illegal (I'm pretty sure) to fund these campaigns with any tax payer money. I imagine monies the Chamber gets from city funds go into a different "pot".

Blazerfan11
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Like I said, the tax-payer funds they get allow for the money they receive in donations to go to the fancy ad campaigns. It creates a cushion to ensure there is enough money in the pot, and they can go forward with this stuff.

In short, people are being paid for the right to be told what to like, anyway you look at it. Chamber donations are for companies who elevate the costs of their goods and services so they have extra cash for stuff like this. If the founders and Jesus were alive today, they'd never stop throwing up.

No it doesn't. They can't use any city funds to fund their campaigns.

MikeOKC
10-29-2009, 11:46 PM
In too many cases, politics is politics, the people benefiting financially are helping fund the promotion of MAPS 3. That's no great shock. It's not good government, but that's how it's done.

Oops. Here come the posters saying that it's all out of "love for our city" and altruism. (cough cough....riiigghhtt)

Blazerfan11
10-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Just found out Today 2 ads run during the OSU-OU game will cost $12,000...2 thirty-second spots. Hearst-Argyle loves synthetic progress almost as much as Cornett I bet!

betts
10-30-2009, 12:45 AM
In too many cases, politics is politics, the people benefiting financially are helping fund the promotion of MAPS 3. That's no great shock. It's not good government, but that's how it's done.

Oops. Here come the posters saying that it's all out of "love for our city" and altruism. (cough cough....riiigghhtt)

Mike, are you one of the "anyone local with money has to be a bad guy" kind of people? How shortsighted is that? Have you actually driven the Core to Shore area? I don't care who develops it and who profits from said development if they do a good job. I don't care if they're doing it out of altruism, love for our city or love of profit. If they can take a blighted piece of the city and improve it, that's a good thing. Remember that frequently we benefit personally from someone else benefitting financially. If we build ANYTHING in town, there's a builder, an architect, a landscaper, a plumber, an electrician, etc benefitting from that construction. Is that a bad thing? Is it bad to keep the money in the city, or would you rather Marriott does the development and takes the profits elsewhere? Anything to keep money out of the hands of locals? I don't get it. I have nothing to gain financially from any of the proposed MAPS projects, but I donated to the campaign, because I think it's good for the city. There will be volunteers working on the campaign who are doing it for no reason other than that they care about Oklahoma City and want to help make it a better place in which to live.

LakeEffect
10-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Just found out Today 2 ads run during the OSU-OU game will cost $12,000...2 thirty-second spots. Hearst-Argyle loves synthetic progress almost as much as Cornett I bet!

Private donations fund the ads... supporters (and those against) are free to pay for these ads. I find it funny that you think $12,000 in private spending would make people upset.

metro
10-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I agree with cafeboeuf and betts. Are we supposed to be upset about a private political campaign that most of us support anyways? This isn't real money folks, that's pocket change in the ad world. Secondly, who cares if people profit like betts said, at the end of the day, it still improves our city and makes it a nicer place to live and visit. Much rather see those slumyards cleaned up for something the general public can actually use or stand to look at, especially considering our new highway will be going right through the area, and I don't want visitors to see Hubcap Alley or all the junk yards, 3 feet tall weeds, and homeless walking around.

iron76hd
10-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Remember that frequently we benefit personally from someone else benefitting financially.

That's been said over and over. They people benefitting financially are talking my tax dollars to do something I dont want or believe is beneficial to the city at this time!

Your Opinion and then their is mine. I have my reasons and you have yours.

Anyone watch the story done last night where the city took 1.4 MILLION Dollars of STIMULUS money and used it for the BOATS?????? WOW!!! that was on channel 4 i think!!!!

Finally!! Do some digging and find out what Cornett and the City Manager are really doing with the money they get...

...I guess who needs roads or bridges..

the explaination that CORE gave was an even bigger joke!!!

Blazerfan11
10-30-2009, 08:14 AM
ugggh

Mike, are you one of the "anyone local with money has to be a bad guy" kind of people? How shortsighted is that? Have you actually driven the Core to Shore area? .....

Blazerfan11
10-30-2009, 08:17 AM
I will say it again. The Chamber receives $5,000,000 in tax-payer funding. This creates a cushion that allows for Private donations to fund things like this. It is like with The United Way where you can "Designate" funds to go to a certain area...those funds go there, but money was going to go there anyway and when you do that, it just pushes other money into other funds.

Private donations fund the ads... supporters (and those against) are free to pay for these ads. I find it funny that you think $12,000 in private spending would make people upset.

OSUFan
10-30-2009, 08:23 AM
That's been said over and over. They people benefitting financially are talking my tax dollars to do something I dont want or believe is beneficial to the city at this time!

Anyone watch the story done last night where the city took 1.4 MILLION Dollars of STIMULUS money and used it for the BOATS?????? WOW!!! that was on channel 4 i think!!!!

Finally!! Do some digging and find out what Cornett and the City Manager are really doing with the money they get...

Instead of telling everyone to do some digging why don't you just tell us what evil thing Cornett and the City Manager are doing with our tax money? Instead of vague innuendo and accusations why don't you tell us since you know?

Hundreds of millions of dollars went to streets and bridges in the last GO Bond.

Blazerfan11
10-30-2009, 08:24 AM
The Yes people have the money, but the no people have the talent.

YouTube - MAPS for Millionaires dot org commercial mapsformillionaires (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmaj2r4CXtU)

jbrown84
11-02-2009, 06:38 PM

The Internet Law of Exclamation
First recorded in an article by Lori Robertson at FactCheck.org in 2008, this states: “The more exclamation points used in an email (or other posting), the more likely it is a complete lie. This is also true for excessive capital letters.”

Popsy
11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
1.4 million for boats seems like a good deal for the tax payers compared to the OSU professor that received 1.2 million in stimulus funds to study the living habits of his grand parents in Alaska for 18 months.

Slivermoon
11-02-2009, 08:51 PM
The Yes people have the money, but the no people have the talent.

YouTube - MAPS for Millionaires dot org commercial mapsformillionaires (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmaj2r4CXtU)

Where exactly is the talent in this stale YouTube post?

Blazerfan11
11-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Here is the anti MAPS3 piece. Brilliant. YouTube - Dramatic Neo-Liberal Mayor (Final Edit) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OshDRXzWSIo)