View Full Version : New highrise at I-44 & Broaday Ext?

sroberts24
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Small GRoup Architects has a high rise on their website... says I-44/Broadway

www.smallarchitects.com

Pete
10-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Here are the renderings... Looks like about 18 floors.

Perhaps for MidFirst?

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/44broadway1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/44broadway2.jpg

Steve
10-26-2009, 11:02 AM
That would be my guess.... (Pete, you'd make a great reporter if you don't mind accepting a huge paycut)

sroberts24
10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
This would be awesome to see anywhere in the city! Downtown sure but just a great addition to the city if it is ever done.... wish the website would provide some information bout it

Pete
10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
As far as location, MidFirst owns the vacant land directly behind their current HQ on the I-44 access road.

Also, they may be working with CHK to acquire the former OK Homebuilders property and related parcels, as it's due west of the current MidFirst building.

sroberts24
10-26-2009, 03:44 PM
yeah I saw the pic u had up briefly that wouldn't be bad... honestly i don't care where it is as long as its in OKC, good looking building

Pete
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
I tookthat aerial down because I had made a mistake.... Had highlighted property to the east (Dept. of Corrections) instead of CHK-owned property to the west.

sroberts24
10-26-2009, 03:52 PM
gotcha... so is it between midfirst and the paragon?

Pete
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Here's a corrected aerial, with the MidFirst properties shown in yellow and CHK shown in pink. CHK owns just about everything west and north as well:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/midfirstaerial.jpg

OKCRT
10-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Sure would look good downtown. I had heard rumors of more skyscrapers being built downtown right after Devon announced their plans. I haven't heard anything else since then. Does anyone have any inf. on anymore skyscrapers going up downtown?

It would have been nice if Chesapeake would have built one downtown instead of the campus they decided on. OKC needs a few more skyscrapers downtown.

Doug Loudenback
10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Downright purdy. Sure would like to know more.

progressiveboy
10-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Sure would look good downtown. I had heard rumors of more skyscrapers being built downtown right after Devon announced their plans. I haven't heard anything else since then. Does anyone have any inf. on anymore skyscrapers going up downtown?

It would have been nice if Chesapeake would have built one downtown instead of the campus they decided on. OKC needs a few more skyscrapers downtown. Since it appears Mid First will be building this proposed building at I-44, I do not see any new skyscrapers being built in downtown. There may be a possibility that mid-rises will be built such as condos or even a major hotel like Westin or Hyatt in downtown but since there are no other major energy companies looking to build, I would bet that this will not happen in the near future, IMO.

stlokc
10-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I think most of us on this board have a bias towards Downtown, and I certainly count myself in that community, but if this building does get built at that intersection, I don't really have a problem with it. I-44 and Broadway should be a marquis intersection in OKC, and it almost qualifies as inner city, being only a mile or two from Crown Heights, etc. At present that area is underdeveloped and somewhat tacky and there are thousands and thousands of cross-country travelers that go through there every day.

Would it be better for the health of the city if Mid-First had waited until Devon Tower had been built and then bought that building, thus helping to alleviate the future huge rise in CBD vacancy? Of course. But if they aren't going to do that, this is infinitely better than outer Memorial Road or some other such nonsense.

As for future skyscrapers downtown, I would hope to see a new hotel and some new residential, but office towers are probably a long way off. That's OK, in my opinion. Sop up some of that vacancy first!

hipsterdoofus
10-27-2009, 08:13 AM
I realize that its nice to see a more prominent downtown skyline - but heck, if I didn't NEED to be downtown, I wouldn't want to build a building down here either and make people deal with all the issues of working downtown.

hoya
10-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Stlokc, my understanding is that there's very little Class A office space available downtown. Most of the stuff we have coming out of our ears is Class C. So there is an actual shortage of good office space here.

BDP
10-27-2009, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't want to build a building down here either and make people deal with all the issues of working downtown.

Personally, I'd much rather work downtown than deal with the issues of working at I-44 and Broadway. Downtown you have so much more at your disposal. I'd much rather do what I need to do after work during my walk back to my car, than have to get in 5 o'clock traffic and drive 5 different places just to do a few errands. Downtown isn't perfect, but it is much more convenient to work there than anywhere else in the city, imo. Not to mention, it's a much more enjoyable environment than the sterile isolation of suburban offices.

hipsterdoofus
10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Personally, I'd much rather work downtown than deal with the issues of working at I-44 and Broadway. Downtown you have so much more at your disposal. I'd much rather do what I need to do after work during my walk back to my car, than have to get in 5 o'clock traffic and drive 5 different places just to do a few errands. Downtown isn't perfect, but it is much more convenient to work there than anywhere else in the city, imo. Not to mention, it's a much more enjoyable environment than the sterile isolation of suburban offices.

Sorry - most of my errands are not downtown at all, but rather closer to where I live - so working downtown, I DO have to drive places to do errands. Not only that, I agree that I-44 and Broadway isn't great now, but heck, neither is driving THROUGH there on Broadway every day - I'd much rather be north of I44 than south of it and have to drive through the intersection. You act like working in a suburban office you would not be near any other people - like its in a desert or something - you do realize that there are multiple offices in single buildings in places besides downtown?

metro
10-27-2009, 09:18 AM
That would be my guess.... (Pete, you'd make a great reporter if you don't mind accepting a huge paycut)

It was sroberts that made the find.... But Pete would make a good one as well. Too bad this couldn't be built downtown, but we do need more MIDRISES in the city's other business corridors. I'll see if I can find out from a friend who works at MidFirst corporate. Hopefully this comes to fruition.

metro
10-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Since it appears Mid First will be building this proposed building at I-44, I do not see any new skyscrapers being built in downtown. There may be a possibility that mid-rises will be built such as condos or even a major hotel like Westin or Hyatt in downtown but since there are no other major energy companies looking to build, I would bet that this will not happen in the near future, IMO.

Yes, but we do have other companies who can build midrises besides energy companies. American Fidelity comes to mind as just one.

BDP
10-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Sorry - most of my errands are not downtown at all, but rather closer to where I live - so working downtown, I DO have to drive places to do errands. Not only that, I agree that I-44 and Broadway isn't great now, but heck, neither is driving THROUGH there on Broadway every day - I'd much rather be north of I44 than south of it and have to drive through the intersection. You act like working in a suburban office you would not be near any other people - like its in a desert or something - you do realize that there are multiple offices in single buildings in places besides downtown?

Sorry - you're different than me. That's fine. I was just pointing out that your "issues" are conveniences to other people. If you choose to do your stuff by your house, no biggie.

And, yes, I understand there are "are multiple offices in single buildings in places besides downtown?" (I assume you were just trying to be a smart ass, right?). My point was that in a suburban office environment you are separated from other services and amenities. Unlike downtown, you always have to drive to do anything outside of the office. Your daily life is your car, the freeway, and that office. Hey, some people like that.

Like many people here, I assume you view driving as more convenient and enjoyable than walking. I do not. I have worked in the worst of suburban office environments and would view the opportunity to rejoin an urban office setting as a benefit, not as someone "making me deal with the issues of downtown". All things being equal, I would choose downtown over any other office location in the city any day.

If Mid-First and their employees, or whoever, value locating next to an interchange over locating next to services within walking distance, that's fine. But I personally would love for my employer to give me the opportunity to work within the downtown community over working next to a freeway.

hipsterdoofus
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Sorry - you're different than me. That's fine. I was just pointing out that your "issues" are conveniences to other people. If you choose to do your stuff by your house, no biggie.

And, yes, I understand there are "are multiple offices in single buildings in places besides downtown?" (I assume you were just trying to be a smart ass, right?). My point was that in a suburban office environment you are separated from other services and amenities. Unlike downtown, you always have to drive to do anything outside of the office. Your daily life is your car, the freeway, and that office. Hey, some people like that.

Like many people here, I assume you view driving as more convenient and enjoyable than walking. I do not. I have worked in the worst of suburban office environments and would view the opportunity to rejoin an urban office setting as a benefit, not as someone "making me deal with the issues of downtown". All things being equal, I would choose downtown over any other office location in the city any day.

If Mid-First and their employees, or whoever, value locating next to an interchange over locating next to services within walking distance, that's fine. But I personally would love for my employer to give me the opportunity to work within the downtown community over working next to a freeway.

Pros and Cons - I used to be excited by the idea of working downtown - I admit there is a different atmosphere - but I also say its a pain at times too - I just think there are many on this board that chide those who don't want to build their business downtown - and I think there are as many reasons to build on the outskirts as there are to build downtown - legitimate reasons. Too many people on here seem to think that "Oklahoma City" is just downtown and that the people who build up at Memorial and Hefner Parkway are not part of the community, for instance.

Pete
10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
The biggest reason for promoting downtown development is that it creates critical mass and allows for a concentration of services and attractions that benefit the entire community.

Also, downtowns tend to be a central gathering point for citizens and visitors alike, and has a lot to do with how a city is perceived and judged.

That's why people like Larry Nichols deserve so much credit. Of course it would be cheaper to build out in the boonies and for the most part, it would be easier for their employees to commute as well. But he wants to do something that is good for the entire city, not just his business. If more business owners did the same we'd all benefit.

Having said all that, I realize that not all businesses need to be downtown. But wherever possible, a central location should be encouraged for all the reasons mentioned.

Steve
10-27-2009, 10:31 AM
It was sroberts that made the find.... But Pete would make a good one as well. Too bad this couldn't be built downtown, but we do need more MIDRISES in the city's other business corridors. I'll see if I can find out from a friend who works at MidFirst corporate. Hopefully this comes to fruition.

yes, nice work by sroberts for finding the rendering. But my compliment was sincerely aimed at Pete for deducing that the tower was for MidFirst.

mugofbeer
10-27-2009, 10:33 AM
The biggest reason for promoting downtown development is that it creates critical mass and allows for a concentration of services and attractions that benefit the entire community.

Also, downtowns tend to be a central gathering point for citizens and visitors alike, and has a lot to do with how a city is perceived and judged.

That's why people like Larry Nichols deserve so much credit. Of course it would be cheaper to build out in the boonies and for the most part, it would be easier for their employees to commute as well. But he wants to do something that is good for the entire city, not just his business. If more business owners did the same we'd all benefit.

Totally agree with this. Furthermore, when we return to $4-5/gallon gas (or more), even OKC will see a trend toward urbanization. Its far easier to set up or improve mass transit systems when business and shopping are in centralized areas rather than disbursed all over a huge area. As you hit that critical mass of people downtown, government help is no longer needed. Additional development will be privately funded rather than publicly supported and even shopping starts to look inward. Just look at Dallas as an example in the Turtle Creek and Uptown areas.

BDP
10-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Too many people on here seem to think that "Oklahoma City" is just downtown and that the people who build up at Memorial and Hefner Parkway are not part of the community, for instance.

Well, I do think that downtown there is much more of a community than Memorial or Hefner Parkway or the Expressway. Downtown creates much more of an identity for the city as well. But that's just me. And, really, I don't think many people here feel that way or at least don't put that much value on it, as that is not how the city is built at all.

I do think that companies who locate downtown do so in large part to be part of a community and those that build on the outskirts do so mainly for cost or infrastructure concerns. Devon is doing what it is doing precisely because they think it will help foster a better business community and elevate the image of the city's business community in a way that building on Memorial can not. The reality is that they have that luxury and many companies do not.

I'm not trying to make value judgments for these companies, but their actions do speak to what their corporate values are. Clearly, cost is a very important factor and it just may not make sense for a company to build or locate downtown. Downtown may not even have the infrastructure they need. But clearly community is not much of a concern in deciding on a location if you build on the very edge of a city, except maybe when trying to build an insular and self contained community, which many prefer to do.

In the end, it is probably more of a function of the culture of the community. In many cities being part of the urban community is seen as a positive and desirable aspect of daily life, which helps the companies located in such an environment recruit nationally for the best employees. Here, I don't think it is much of a concern for many people. They are perfectly happy avoiding large groups of people and place more importance on being able to drive and park than they do walking. So, companies see no real advantage to providing easier access to a variety of outside services on a daily basis to their employees by locating in a denser more urban location.

As for those who want to see more development in the city's core, I think some just see the potential for an elevated profile for the city such development can provide. They recognize that many people view a city's health and attractiveness based on the vibrancy and strength of its downtown community. So, when a major city tenant opts not to participate in that effort through building in the core, many see it as a lost opportunity that we just really don't get that much in Oklahoma City. I don't think it stems as much from a disdain of the suburban work environment, or even that company in particular, as it does a desire to continue to try and create a competitive urban work environment in the city's core.

If the developers of this project don't feel it is in their best interest or in the interest of their employees to locate it or a similar project downtown, then so be it. Hopefully, we can attract others and maybe even reach a point where the issues you and some other have with downtown are overcome by the benefits, community experience, and excitement that a thriving urban environment can provide in an effort to diversify the city's lifestyle portfolio and, in turn, increase its competitive position.

mugofbeer
10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
The architechtural drawing of the MidFirst building is nice and would be a nice addition along I-44 but personally, I would rather see them come downtown and remodel some of the space vacated by Devon once they move. It would be better for the city overall.

OKCisOK4me
10-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I think it's sweet where this is gonna go up, if it ever gets under way. I love that stretch of I-44. It's almost swallowed by trees and has much green density. Another building rising above the veil would be nice to see--especially east of the Valliance Bank building!

Urbanized
10-27-2009, 11:43 AM
BDP, I think you have really summed up why both Devon and Chesapeake are doing their respective building/campus construction. Both of these companies have stated in the past that one of their biggest challenges is to lure enough quality people when their industry is in expansion mode.

When times are good, the energy field is highly competetive, and OKC-based companies are currently at a bit of a natural disadvantage to Houston companies. This is mainly due to the fact that there are more jobs in the energy sector in the Houston area than in the OKC area. If you are a recent graduate with a degree in geology or engineering or whatever other field applies, your first instinct might likely be to head to Houston, just because there are more positions in that field.

After reading what executives of Devon and Chesapeake have said publicly, it appears that they are earnestly looking to make quality of life a deciding factor in luring employees. They are both just taking different approaches. Chesapeake is apparently working to create a "second city center," with a more suburbanized version of downtown conveniences. Shopping options, dining options, community feel. I think it is one of the reasons you're seeing development of places like Classen Curve or potentially could see Whole Foods or a like merchant lured there, even subsidized, just to create that attractive environment around the CHK campus to gain a competetive edge in quality of life for potential employees.

Devon, on the other hand, is pursuing the downtown version of this. Hence the Devon TIF, and the interest they are showing in the downtown neighborhood. Again, it is a strategy to create a more appealing environment for employees and potential hires; a competetive hiring edge. This is not to say that their approach isn't also community-minded and altruistic (it absolutely is); only to point out that it also serves a strategic purpose for the company.

Larry Nichols has also indicated publicly that he would like to lure companies here from other communities (Houston?), which again fits the strategy of making the city more appealing for new recruits.

But I'm with you; having worked downtown for most of the past 20 years and also having briefly experienced life in an isolated (nice) office building on the fringe, I would MUCH prefer downtown. The opportunities abound daily for entertainment, errand-running, dining options, an NEARLY everything else I need on a regular basis. Most of these errands are walkable. Therefore I put far less than 1,000 miles on a vehicle each month, spend almost nothing on fuel, have more time on my hands, see people I know and like more, quite often by chance meetings walking down the street, and overall I feel more connected. To me, that's something that you just can't find in the suburbs, which are by their nature insular.

metro
10-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Anyone do any more research on this? Steve?

Steve
10-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Inquiries have been sent out. MidFirst is, by nature, a bit shy when it comes to press.

C. B.
10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
I work on each and every MidFirst building project.
Something like this has never been on the radar for them.
I could be wrong, but I feel confident in saying this is NOT a MidFirst project.

OKCisOK4me
10-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Which of two proposals actually get finished in this area first?! This design? Or the design for the new interchange?

metro
10-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I work on each and every MidFirst building project.
Something like this has never been on the radar for them.
I could be wrong, but I feel confident in saying this is NOT a MidFirst project.

Which is fine by me, meaning there is another corporation with the funding to build such a project (hopefully), also giving the hope that MidFirst (a growing company) will eventually have to spring for bigger digs, hopefully downtown!

sgt. pepper
10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
for a long time i heard some where (sorry but i can not remember) that Chesapeake was wanting to build a high rise residence tower for their employees in that area? i could be WAY off base.

Pete
10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I doubt it would be a CHK project as they use Rand Elliott pretty much exclusively, and these renderings are from an architectural group in Edmond.

sroberts24
03-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Would really like some info to come out on this

Pete
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Seems like this was just a concept...

But very odd that the architects would go through so much trouble and detail and would also include a specific location.

okcpulse
03-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I spoke with SmallGroup, the firm that designed the building. They informed me that the building was designed for an undisclosed developer who plans to build the tower for a potential corporate tennant. No details on that were released.

sroberts24
03-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I spoke with SmallGroup, the firm that designed the building. They informed me that the building was designed for an undisclosed developer who plans to build the tower for a potential corporate tennant. No details on that were released.

Thats great! Anything if the plans are still a go with this economy and all?

Dar405301
03-10-2010, 01:38 PM
did they say when contruction would begin?

Plutonic Panda
03-14-2014, 11:56 AM
So just saw this from (JTFs) link off of the Lumber Yard, could this still happen? If this was not built, was anything built in its place? This is a beautiful tower and would be awesome to have in OKC. Hope it is NOT built downtown as OKC needs to improve on having 15-20+ story buildings out in its suburbs to increase profitability and have more justification for investing out there.

on edit: I just realized this is where Chesapeake's campus is, but this would be good for part of the NE part of the I235/I44 interchange. I thought it was in a different place and it took me a second glance to realize where it was going to be. If anything else, north of the interchange along Broadway ext. would be cool.

Maybe once the economy gets back up and going this might be brought back to life, well, the design and interest building something like it anyways. I don't see why someone would spend that much time and not plan to do anything with such a beautiful building.

Bellaboo
03-14-2014, 12:18 PM
At one time I think people were speculating MidFirst would have this tower built.....but I'm sure it's dead.

Just the facts
03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
This tower is dead, and that assumes it was ever alive. My guess it was part of a pitch for/by MidFirst Bank in case they sold out to Chesapeake.

Spartan
03-14-2014, 02:10 PM
So just saw this from (JTFs) link off of the Lumber Yard, could this still happen? If this was not built, was anything built in its place? This is a beautiful tower and would be awesome to have in OKC. Hope it is NOT built downtown as OKC needs to improve on having 15-20+ story buildings out in its suburbs to increase profitability and have more justification for investing out there.

on edit: I just realized this is where Chesapeake's campus is, but this would be good for part of the NE part of the I235/I44 interchange. I thought it was in a different place and it took me a second glance to realize where it was going to be. If anything else, north of the interchange along Broadway ext. would be cool.

Maybe once the economy gets back up and going this might be brought back to life, well, the design and interest building something like it anyways. I don't see why someone would spend that much time and not plan to do anything with such a beautiful building.

Huh?

So much here... So much "Huh?"

Snowman
03-14-2014, 05:59 PM
for a long time i heard some where (sorry but i can not remember) that Chesapeake was wanting to build a high rise residence tower for their employees in that area? i could be WAY off base.

I heard some people say they wanted Chesapeake to build a tower; but given how they were purchasing land, the plans released and most recent developments it seemed more likely their plan was expanding their campus west at a similar density, in any case at this point they have no need of expatriation.

Plutonic Panda
03-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Huh?

So much here... So much "Huh?"Alright.... I'm sorry Spartan, what exactly was I not clear about so I can reiterate.

catch22
03-18-2014, 12:34 AM

Huh?

So much here... So much "Huh?"

http://noodlytime.com/postimages/wow-such-tower.png

bombermwc
03-18-2014, 07:02 AM
I asked a few contacts at MidFirst about this when this was all buzzing around and they didn't seem to think much of it. When CHK was in their buying frenzy, it would have made sense for them to purchase the corporate building of Midfirst (ie The Midland Group) at 999 NW Grand (right next to the I-44 facing structures of CHK. Of course, that all went to pot, so nix on the building sell-off. The sizes of the buildings are similar, so my best guess was it was just for moving the MidFirst folks if CHK ended up wanting that tower (which is actually pretty nice).

Plutonic Panda
03-18-2014, 10:35 AM
http://noodlytime.com/postimages/wow-such-tower.pngsooooooo, you wouldn't like to this built?

Plutonic Panda
08-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Here are the renderings... Looks like about 18 floors.

Perhaps for MidFirst?

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/44broadway1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/44broadway2.jpg

That would be my guess.... (Pete, you'd make a great reporter if you don't mind accepting a huge paycut)Steve and Pete... What happened to you guys??? Looking at these posts and it's awesome to see u getting along and joking!

OKCisOK4me
08-23-2014, 01:51 AM
Why are we quoting 4 year old posts??

bchris02
08-23-2014, 03:23 PM
There have been rumblings both on here and in Steve's OKC Central chat about American Energy Partners building a 15-20 story tower at that location. At this point, is that something that is more than just speculation? I would love to see this tower built.

OKCisOK4me
08-23-2014, 03:48 PM
That tower shown beforehand was for Midfirst Bank.

AEP is rumored to build between Britton & Wilshire on Broadway Extension.

Two totally separate rumors separated by 4 years and 2 miles...