View Full Version : MAPS Senior Aquatic Centerss

lasomeday
10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Here is what the www.yesformaps.com website says about the aquatic centers.

There are going to be 4 or 5 and cost 10 to 12.4 million a piece!

Health and Wellness Aquatic Centers for Seniors

The Senior Health and Wellness Aquatic Centers included in the new MAPS proposal reflect the demographic shifts taking place in our community (the number of seniors is expected to double by 2030). They (4-5) will be evenly geographically distributed throughout the city and will serve as community gathering places, provide significant aquatic elements for exercise and therapeutic benefits, and will each be programmed to meet the specific needs of their individual areas. The Centers demonstrate a new way of thinking about health and wellness in Oklahoma City and set a new standard for our residents' quality of life, as well as helping us keep pace with competing cities.

PROJECT DETAILS

Cost: $50 million

Description: This project will construct multiple state-of-the-art health and wellness aquatic centers for senior citizens at locations around the city.

Background:

Seniors are an ever-growing demographic in America, and Oklahoma City is no exception.
Many American cities are establishing world-class aquatic senior centers.
These centers will promote a healthier community.

Pete
10-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I can understand the special needs of seniors and acquatic programs are great for them, as they are low-impact.

But I wonder if these will be reserved for their exclusive use? I can see the senior programs getting priority, but everyone should be able to use these facilities, even if only on a limited basis.

kevinpate
10-25-2009, 05:18 PM
I can understand the special needs of seniors and acquatic programs are great for them, as they are low-impact.

But I wonder if these will be reserved for their exclusive use? ...

I've seen nutthin' to date to suggest da younger whippersnappers will have any access. Depending on where they draw that line for 'baby' seniors, that has a certain appeal to me.

Pete
10-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I'd be very surprised if they tried to exclude everyone but senior citizens, especially since all taxpayers will be footing the bill.

I can see where a good percentage of the programs and hours could be reserved for the elderly.

Can you imagine if they built a bunch of expensive public pools then mandated no one over 60 was allowed?

kd5ili
10-25-2009, 06:09 PM
As much as I can understand the reasons why some would want to keep these for seniors only, Pete is correct on this...it will be a hard sale to ask everybody foot the bill for something that only a percentage will be allowed to use.

-Chris-

Pete
10-25-2009, 06:25 PM
It's pretty easy to schedule, really.

Just let the seniors have the facitlites early (morning and afternoon) and let everyone else have access from like 4PM on.

I'm an avid swimmer and have never seen any older people at my various pools in the late afternoon and beyond.

mugofbeer
10-25-2009, 06:26 PM
They have wonderful "taj Mahal" recreation centers in the Denver area with aquatic areas reserved for seniors. The seniors tend to use the facilities much more in the mornings and weekdays while kids use separate pools and rec areas later in the days and on weekends.

kd5ili
10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I wonder...do they make senior swim diapers?

:sofa:

-Chris-

jbrown84
10-25-2009, 08:30 PM
lasomeday, why are you so alarmed at this (and several other projects)??

It seems you want MAPS 3 tailor made exactly to your desires to vote for it. Don't you know any seniors who would benefit from these centers? Maybe YOU will benefit from them when you are a senior, assuming they are reserved strictly for that age group, which is unlikely.

Please be willing to accept that some of the projects may not be your favorite, but for somebody else, it's a different project that they don't care much for. It's called spreading the wealth.

You say the convention center is too expensive. Tell that to local owners of Bricktown and downtown restaurants and hotels (and the people employed at these establishments) who rely on convention business for their success. These aren't evil corporations sucking money from the taxpayer to fund their tropical vacations. Try to put things in perspective. We need this convention center not to get ahead, but to even compete with SMALLER MARKETS.

Hawk405359
10-25-2009, 08:33 PM
I doubt such facilities would be reserved exclusively for them, but I think it's likely that they'll be designed with more of a senior audience in mind than a younger one like most pools, so they may not be as useful as a normal swimming pool.

Seniors are a major voting class, much bigger than the younger crowd. Putting something suited for them is designed to get their votes.

Larry OKC
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Not against them at all but I think a valid point is raised: $10 to $12 million for an indoor swimming pool? Am sure some other things will be included as hinted at with the "Health and Wellness" and "serve as community gathering places" but the emphasis is on the "Aquatic" part. Another thought, with the City struggling to keep neighborhood pools open (for budget reasons), where is the money coming from to run and maintain these facilities? Maybe they should come up with a Senior version of the "Spray grounds" :LolLolLol

mugofbeer
10-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Not against them at all but I think a valid point is raised: $10 to $12 million for an indoor swimming pool? Am sure some other things will be included as hinted at with the "Health and Wellness" and "serve as community gathering places" but the emphasis is on the "Aquatic" part. Another thought, with the City struggling to keep neighborhood pools open (for budget reasons), where is the money coming from to run and maintain these facilities? Maybe they should come up with a Senior version of the "Spray grounds" :LolLolLol

I like that, Senior Spray Grounds! There would be far more to these centers than just swimming pools. It sounds like they would be essentially health centers and may be open to the general populace too. Many cities (mainly north of here) have started providing these types of rec centers funded through property taxes and have been extremely successful.

kd5ili
10-25-2009, 08:59 PM
I know this would be expensive, but...

With the declining physical fitness of our populace, maybe some cities (hint hint) could think about public gyms, where you would just need a card to proove residency (kinda like a library card). Have both weights and cardio equipment, plus maybe some classes. If we started to get more folks into shape, maybe the medical costs would go down. More importantly, we would be making a healthier population.

-Chris-

Larry OKC
10-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I know this would be expensive, but...

With the declining physical fitness of our populace, maybe some cities (hint hint) could think about public gyms, where you would just need a card to proove residency (kinda like a library card). Have both weights and cardio equipment, plus maybe some classes. If we started to get more folks into shape, maybe the medical costs would go down. More importantly, we would be making a healthier population.

-Chris-

Many of the suggested MAPS 3 projects have that goal in mind (think the only ones that don't mention health as a reason are the Convention Center and Fairgrounds)

lasomeday
10-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I would love for these to be built for the entire community. I think the price also has a fund incorporated in it for the continued maintenance, but we don't know that. $10 million is a lot for an indoor pool. It would have to be an olympic size with diving and a lazy river to cost that much.

Why don't they just convert some of the empty Wal-Mart's or Albertson's around town into these community pools. There is plenty of parking and they are actually in pretty good locations.

Larry OKC
10-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Using existing buildings may work (but may actually be cheaper to build from scratch, witness the County Jail situation). Location was definitely good otherwise they wouldn't have built there to begin with. Realize they only need a handful but are there enough empty Wal-marts and Albertson's around? Most of the former Wal-marts have become Wal-Mart neighborhood markets and didn't all of the Albertsons eventually become Homelands? Anyway, your idea may still be a good one...think there are a few defunct former gyms around that might better fit your idea (may have to be upgraded) but probably already have showers, locker rooms, pools etc). The old American Fitness that used to be on nw expressway and Council may have been ideal (but has since been converted into a fabric store).

Blazerfan11
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
theyll built a 4394208 egg omlette in memory of jimmys egg before they built this crap you idiots

PennyQuilts
10-26-2009, 05:27 AM
I want a place to swim where I will be the best looking thing there. No one under fifty or in decent shape, I say!

jbrown84
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm not aware of any old Walmarts that were converted to Neighborhood Markets. Homeland and Williams did take over most of the old Albertson's. I know of one in Edmond that was split and became a Conn's and something else.

Reusing big box stores is a good idea and there's no reason they can't do that.