View Full Version : Another Very Solid Ranking from Businessweek

mheaton76
10-23-2009, 10:06 AM
More good news from Businessweek for the OKC metro area:

Forty Strongest U.S. Metro Economies: Oklahoma City, OK - BusinessWeek (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1022_40_strongest_us_metro_economies/4.htm)

Doug Loudenback
10-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the link, mheton76, but, damit, we're 3rd behind two baja Oklahoma towns, San Antonio and Austin. The portal article is at Forty Strongest U.S. Metro Economies: Employment and Economic Muscle - BusinessWeek (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1022_40_strongest_us_metro_economies/1.htm). Let's get after those Texas rascals!

Kidding aside, this is yet another excellent report of/for/about our fine city in what has become a very nicely put together chain.

jbrown84
10-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Ugh, why such an ugly picture, though?

swilki
10-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Ugh, why such an ugly picture, though?

Ugly? When you compare it to most of the other pics, I would say it makes us look like we have a vibrant downtown area. Just imagine when the Devon Tower is built, it will be awesome.

jbrown84
10-25-2009, 06:57 PM
It's not my favorite view. It makes the skyline look really flat. And the lighting is bad and it's grainy. I have seen worse though.

EBAH
10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
I think the picture is ok, even if a bit on the grainy side. I think the coolest thing about this article is that all of the top 10 cities are in our region. Oklahoma and Texas owned the heck out of this list. It's really just more evidence that the future of the national economy lies in the Texas/Okla corridor.

jbrown84
10-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I think it's more about the fact that oil and gas is doing well, relatively, compared to the general economy.

CCOKC
10-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Did anybody hear this Saturday morning? I had my radio on but must have slept through it. Anyway, another bit of good press for us.
What Makes Oklahoma City Recession-Proof? : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114130247&ft=1&f=1006)

metro
10-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Ugly? When you compare it to most of the other pics, I would say it makes us look like we have a vibrant downtown area. Just imagine when the Devon Tower is built, it will be awesome.

Especially if you compare it to the picture they used for Dallas/Ft. Worth. It makes our skyline look bigger. Dallas's picture was horrible.

jbrown84
10-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Did anybody hear this Saturday morning? I had my radio on but must have slept through it. Anyway, another bit of good press for us.
What Makes Oklahoma City Recession-Proof? : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114130247&ft=1&f=1006)

Good story. Except for the part about people wearing cowboy boots to work at office jobs. Ridiculous assumption on his part.

mheaton76
10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
And then there's this:

Unemployment In Detroit Is The Nation's Worst By A Mile (http://www.businessinsider.com/unemployment-by-the-numbers-2009-10)

Blazerfan11
10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I like how Cornett goes on Bloomberg, FOX Business, and other shows talking about the "Economic Conservative miracle of Oklahoma City" and NEVER mentions the taxes...one would think therefore they are totally worthless and we need to stop voting for them. Kind of reminds me of Chile'.

Platemaker
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Yet those taxes are still lower than many place... bad example.

Blazerfan11
10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Right, but an addition to the sales tax...not even worth mentioning regarding our success? Seems odd not to mention it when trying to sell another one!

dalelakin
10-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Great to have the recognition.

I am baffled though, why do most of the others cities that are listed mention the surrounding communities as well as the main focal city? For example Austin/Round Rock, Dallas/FTW/Arlington. Yet OKC and Tulsa are always mentioned in these articles alone. Never any mention of Edmond and Norman for OKC and Jenks and Broken Arrow for Tulsa. Curious why that is?

MikeOKC
10-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Decent article. I agree that Cornett using the word "conservative" is a joke. Almost all the progress and development that has changed the vibe of this city was seeded with public money. If people don't think government can play a role as an economic stimulant, just look at Oklahoma City! Hardly an example of anti-government conservatism.

Lots of good media lately which is GREAT!

MikeOKC
10-29-2009, 11:54 PM

I am baffled though, why do most of the others cities that are listed mention the surrounding communities as well as the main focal city? For example Austin/Round Rock, Dallas/FTW/Arlington. Yet OKC and Tulsa are always mentioned in these articles alone. Never any mention of Edmond and Norman for OKC and Jenks and Broken Arrow for Tulsa. Curious why that is?

In the case of Round Rock, they are an economic engine for the Austin Metro. Lots of business and industry. Edmond, let's be honest, is a place for people to go home and sleep at night after working in Oklahoma City. Big difference between RR and Edmond/Norman.

Blazerfan11
10-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Was it Hamilton or Madison that coined the phrase and concept of "infant industry" where you basically use Tariffs and Subsidies to get Country on your feet..essentially treat it as you would your kid...and then when it matures let it off on its own. Our Country has a very rich Keynsian tradition..as do almost all successful Countries. Cities and States adopting these ideologies can be problematic, as we are seeing with our City..it's time to let the city walk on it's own..as Cornett and his friends like to say "let the market decide" or whatever the latest lingo is.

Look for Oklahoma City to be a huge talking point for the Right in the 2010 elections and ESPECIALLY the 2012 elections. I think this is one reason they scheduled Cornett to speak at the last convention, and having him on all these fancy business programs. The Chilean model is being followed quite closely by quite powerful people with a real eye on us...

Decent article. I agree that Cornett using the word "conservative" is a joke. Almost all the progress and development that has changed the vibe of this city was seeded with public money. If people don't think government can play a role as an economic stimulant, just look at Oklahoma City! Hardly an example of anti-government conservatism.

Lots of good media lately which is GREAT!

metro
10-30-2009, 08:10 AM

And to further add to what MIKEOKC said, Ft. Worth metro has a larger population than the OKC metro area and the 17th largest city in the U.S. (larger than OKC). Arlington is the 50th largest metro in the U.S. MUCHHHH larger than Edmond or Norman. Not to mention Arlington has Dallas Cowboys Stadium, Texas Rangers Stadium, Six Flags, and other major attractions that bring in millions of people a year. If you count Arlingtons surrounding suburbs, there is over a million people in that microplex. For comparison, OKC metro is about 1.2 million. As Mike said, Edmond is a bedroom community of OKC where people sleep at night and raise their family while most work in OKC. Not even in the same league.