View Full Version : A loss for the area

easternobserver
10-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Apparantly the Midwest City Sun is shutting its doors.....

The Sun - The Sun says goodbye (http://www.mwcsun.com/local/local_story_294125544.html)

Lauri101
10-22-2009, 03:33 AM
Sadly, I said goodbye to The Sun several years ago when local ownership gave way to an out-of-state consortium. I was a charter subscriber and enjoyed the paper when they covered more than chili cook-offs or obscure events of EOC.

Too bad to see it go, but newspapers nationwide are not doing well. All the blogs, twitters, facebooks and my spaces in the world don't make up for the tactile enjoyment of paging through a newspaper and working a crossword puzzle at the kitchen table.

woodyrr
10-22-2009, 05:47 AM
...enjoyed the paper when they covered more than chili cook-offs or obscure events of EOC.

I'll echo that comment. We subscribed 25 or so years ago when they first started publishing, but let it go after a while. Recently, the Sun has been throwing complimentary papers and informative content simply wasn't there.

bombermwc
10-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Can't say that I was ever impressed by the Sun. The did offer some nice local tibits here and there, but generally I was always dissapointed. It's always been one of those papers that will print whatever someone is willing to pay for. They never actually investigate their stories.

One perfect example is their coverage of high school activity. A ceratin school is always predominenty featured because the staff is tilted that way. It never mattered if another school did better at the same event though, they would only put in what some PR person wrote up and had printed. Not great journalism.

old okie
10-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Sad about the Sun. Worked w/them for years to have them cover school-related information; but IF you wanted them to print something, you had to contact them; they did not actively 'seek out' information. However, once contacted, they were great; often sent photographer, wrote up good story, etc.

Time marches on...and things change.

gmwise
10-31-2009, 08:45 AM
...they would only put in what some PR person wrote up and had printed. Not great journalism.

Yup its a way for newspapers to survive but to survive like that is like being a pennysaver.