View Full Version : Bricktown Condos/Homes?

HFK
02-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi,

A few months ago, while deciding on where to buy a house, I did a bit of research on the availbility of housing (non-rental) in Bricktown. Turns out that there's not much available to anyone of average means (apparently a Doctor has purchased and renovated a large loft). However, it sounded as though condos were being considered. Does anyone here know anything more about the potential for non-rental residential properties in Bricktown?

I've decided to go rural: I'm building a house in the Tri-Cities area. If there had been Bricktown options I may have stayed urban.

Thanks,

Frank

downtownguy
02-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Frank, if you can hold out a little longer, you will have a lot more options with the latest development being proposed for Deep Deuce. Meanwhile, have you considered The Montgomery (actually in downtown's arts district)

Patrick
02-08-2005, 12:34 AM
downtownguy is right. The latest proposals for the Hill, as it's called, the land just west of Deep Deuce, calls for either condos that can be purchased or residential homes.

Downtown housing is just beginning. You have to remember, no one even knew downtown existed after 5 PM just 10 years ago. It will all take time!

I'd say within the next 10 to 15 years, there will be many more housing options to choose from in downtown. The ball is just beginning to roll.

Patrick
02-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Here's the article that was posted awhile back on The Hill proposals:

Urban Renewal recently put out requests for proposals to develop the Hill just to the east of Deep Deuce (between Deep Deuce and I-235). 3 proposals were made by various developers. Urban Renewal should be making a decision soon.

I'll enclose the article that appeared in the Oklahoman several months ago:
---------------
"Three groups pitch housing for coveted downtown area
By Steve Lackmeyer
Staff Writer

Three development groups are pitching residential projects valued between $22.1 million and $36.7 million for one of Oklahoma City's most coveted downtown properties. The 12.6 acres, on what is known as the "hill" at NE 1 and Stiles, overlooks Deep Deuce, Bricktown and the health-sciences district with a view of the downtown skyline.

Two of the proposals delivered Wednesday to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority are linked to other nearby developments.
------------
(1) Atlanta-based Wood Partners, listed No. 6 among the country's top 50 apartment complex builders by Builder Magazine, proposes building 300 lofts in a series of three- story buildings.

The project would be designed by Architectural Design Group and would be planned to connect with a $12 million residential, retail and office development by Robert Meinders on Sheridan Avenue dubbed "the Steel Yard."

Project architect Scott Dedmon said the two projects would be owned by different developers, but would be designed as part of one master plan.

The apartments would be lofts, he said, featuring stained floors, exposed duct work and 10-foot-high ceilings.

Dedmon called the hill one of downtown's most valuable sites for new housing.

"It's in the core of everything right now with everything going on in Bricktown, downtown and the health sciences center," Dedmon said.
-----------
(2)Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners, meanwhile, would build 84 lofts and 134 brownstone residences in conjunction with a development just north of the property dubbed "Oklahoma City Town Center."

The team includes Town Center developers Pat Garrett, Bert Belanger and Anthony McDermid, and Somerset Partners, which bought the existing 294-unit Deep Deuce Apartments last year.

As part of the proposal, Somerset promises to build new for-sale brownstones on several Deep Deuce properties the company owns but has not been developed.

Project architect Hans Butzer said the proposal also suggests the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority consider buying adjacent land owned by the Oklahoma Transportation Department to allow for possible development of an $11 million residential high-rise.

"It's a high profile site, immediately adjacent to the highway, and while it's not a part of this property, it really would make a great location for a high rise," Butzer said.

The proposal by Butzer's team calls for a mix of rental lofts, live/work spaces along Stiles Avenue, townhomes for sale.

"This project needs to re-establish our standard for downtown housing," Butzer said. "While Deep Deuce was good, it's not at a quality we're all looking for."
-------------
(3)The third proposal by The Hill at Bricktown LLC. suggests building 141 upscale homes in a development that would make a strong connection to Deep Deuce's history as a former black business and entertainment district.

Homes and streets would be named after historic figures and places, while all three developments propose memorials to Deep Deuce literary legend Ralph Ellison.

Those involved with Hill at Bricktown LLC include Oklahoma City historic preservationist Marva Ellard; William Canfield, founder of Novazyme Pharmaceuticals, and oilman and contractor Steve Clark.

Ellard said Canfield became interested in the development after trying to recruit scientists to work in the nearby health research park.

"The lack of downtown housing for sale became a drawback in getting people to move here," Ellard said. "A lot of professionals were accustomed to living in an urban environment."

Ellard said homes would sell between $175,000 and $340,000.

JoeVan Bullard, urban renewal director, said representatives from surrounding areas will be asked to review the proposals, with presentations to be made to the agency's commissioners in January.

"With the proposals that came in, I think we definitely do have a market for homes for sale," he said.

Bullard said commissioners want to see construction started by late 2005.

"One of the discussion points with the commissioners as they visit with the three teams will be, 'Are you ready to go?'" Bullard said. "We believe the market is there, and the sooner we can hit that, the better."
----------
The proposals

(1) Alta Bricktown
Developer: Wood Partners.
Designer: Architectural Design Group.
Cost: $22.1 million.
Proposal: 300 loft apartments leasing between $735 and $1,035 a month.

(2)The Hill
Developer: Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners.
Designer: TAParchitecture.
Cost: $36.7 million.
Proposal: 84 loft rental apartments, 134 Brownstone residences for sale.

(3)The Hill at Bricktown
Developers: The Hill at Bricktown LLC.
Designer: Humphreys & Partners Architects.
Cost: $34.4 million.
Proposal: 141 upscale homes for sale. "

Luke
02-08-2005, 04:38 AM
How I'd love to see brownstones lining the streets of downtown OKC! Reminiscent of Boston and New York City...

http://www.kidport.com/RefLib/WorldGeography/England/Images/BrownStones.JPG

http://www.hobinarc.com/images/lowrise_brownstones_13.jpg

http://www.bu.edu/celop/i/SL-BayStateRd.jpg

Midtowner
02-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Hopefully, there's something nice still available when I'm done with law school. Would be great to have a brownstone downtown.

TStheThird
02-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Which of the three proposals do you like the best?

Midtowner
02-08-2005, 01:40 PM
#2,

Patrick
02-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Seems like most of us picked proposal #2 last time, The Hill, by Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners. It included a mix of rental and for sale property, plus it tied in with the Town Center concept.

Proposal #1, although very impressive, and developed by one of the nation's leading apartment managers, was just another downtown apartment complex. We need more opportunities for people to buy homes downtown.

Proposal #3 reminded me a lot of a suburban upscale neighborhood. It would just be typical houses, nothing urban and high rise. This would probably be last on my list.

Luke
02-09-2005, 04:34 AM
Patrick, good assesment. The brownstones would be unique to OKC. THe other two ideas, while nice, would not. And I think downtown needs uniqueness.

Karried
03-14-2005, 08:38 AM
I like #2 as well, the facade offers a bit of variety and the elevations are not all the same exact cookie cutter design. Plus, it looks like there is a small amount of lawn in the front which is better than just a gray sidewalk between the street and your front door.

Midtowner
03-14-2005, 08:53 AM
There's a real fixer-upper just north of the Deep Deuce Apartment complex :D

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Brownstones make me puke... but if it's what people want, go for it!

Patrick
03-15-2005, 02:26 PM
At least they're different.

Midtowner
03-15-2005, 02:47 PM
At least they're different.

I'd personally love to have them down here. If I could ever convince my s/o that having no yard was okay, I'd be signing up for one in a few years :D

swake
03-15-2005, 03:18 PM
The Brownstone style development downtown in Tulsa is very nice, and almost full.

http://www.thevillagebuilders.com/index.htm

floater
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
I also like brownstones. Their high density nature make it easier to form neighborhood connections. Imagine coming back home from work and old Mrs. Potter is there, sitting on the stoop, drinking a glass of iced tea on a warm fall day. You get your leftovers from yesterday and join her in conversation outside, with a view of the skyline...:)