View Full Version : Digital?

Pages : [1] 2

Thunder
10-21-2009, 04:01 AM
I gave up cable. I'm absolutely positive that my TV has digital tuner already built in, so I don't need to buy a digital tuner box....right? Well, I finally found the option to set up the local digital channels, but when I set it to scan for them...nothing. I've set it to scan several times and it found no such channels available locally. It scans for analog and digital channels. Still... There is nothing. I have no luck finding the local digital channels online. For example, going on kfor.com, they only provided the channel 4.2 for their 24/7 Weather Plus. Well, I punched in that channel...nothing. Just how in the world am I going to be able to pick up these free channels?!

Martin
10-21-2009, 05:53 AM
nope, you need a digital tuner box to receive digital cable channels from cox. either that or a cable card... but i doubt your tv has a cable card slot.

-M

Lord Helmet
10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Even if your TV has the digital tuner, you'll most likely need an antenna. Many times a cheap set of rabbit ears will do. That's what I use on my hdtv as a backup to satellite when storms roll in.

woodyrr
10-21-2009, 08:04 AM
One problem that I have is that when scanning the TV wants to default to the "cable" input. The TV has to be set to scan "antenna". It is not really obvious which it is set for or how to change it. Anyway, it is something else to check. Good luck.

hipsterdoofus
10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah I'd recommend some good rabbit ears should work - you can also build an attic antenna from a 2x4 and some wire coat hangers :-)

smooth
10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah I'd recommend some good rabbit ears should work - you can also build an attic antenna from a 2x4 and some wire coat hangers :-)

You will need DIGITAL "rabbit ears," AND the digital tuner if your television is not an LCD, LED, Plasma or DLP (recently manufactured). I have never heard of a "cable card" or "cable card slot."

OKCisOK4me
10-21-2009, 11:16 AM
You will need DIGITAL "rabbit ears," AND the digital tuner if your television is not an LCD, LED, Plasma or DLP (recently manufactured). I have never heard of a "cable card" or "cable card slot."

The cable card allows you to have the digital cable and high def channels without having the box with the digital clock on it from Cox. But I wouldn't recommend that if you are paying for cable and your TV has that option. I did that when I first got Cox and the thing had issues all the time, so I finally went with the box. But the reason they give the option is for people that don't want to pay for the digital receiver box which is something like $15 extra a month. The card was a lease deal for something like a $1.40 if I remember correctly.

Thunder
10-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Okay, I need the digital rabbit ears. I'll get that. Do I need the converter box? It's a DLP.

I wasn't talking about cable. I'm talking about the 13 free channels locally.

Martin
10-21-2009, 01:07 PM
my bad. i thought thunder was talking about digital cable not over-the-air dtv.

if the tv has a digital tuner, then a digital antenna is all that's needed.

thunder, what's the make and model number on that tv? maybe we can pull up the manual and tell you for sure.

-M

Thunder
10-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, when I was moving, I found the receipt paper on the tv with the model number. Now, I can't find it. I know I put it in the last box, but it is gone. It's a 50" Philip DLP.

Martin
10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
the model number will also be on the tv itself... probably somewhere on the back.

if that's not easily accessible, if you bought it new, tell us when you bought it... that'll help nail it down.

-M

OKCMallen
10-21-2009, 01:28 PM
I had a decent digital antenna and couldn't pick up all of the digital channels at 50th and Western. The power on the signals is ****e.

gmwise
10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
KOCO is hell to stabilized on it

OKCisOK4me
10-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Any regular old bunny eared antennas that have the coax cable twist turn plug into the back of your TV will work just fine. Just look for the "over-the-air" markings on boxes. Best Buy has an antenna that works fine for $19.99.

If you live in your own house, vs. an apartment or a condo, you can buy antennas for much more that are outdoor antennas and can be amplified as well. Those run $50 and up. This will definitely help with the reception. I have a friend who lives in Edmond, and he has trouble receiving CBS and OETAs with his indoor antenna that he sets up on top of his entertainment center. Other than that he receives every other station. I told him it may be that his TV is ground level, whereas I live in an upstairs condo so there's less interference at my level.

drumsncode
10-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I think placement of the antenna can make a big difference as some people have pointed out. I have mine sitting up very high.

Look for a signal strength display/meter in your menu system of your TV. If you're lucky, it will have one to help you adjust the antenna. The RCA converter box I have has one.

Normal rabbit ears with do perfectly, assuming you have a decent signal available.

My mother lives at 31st and May, and she gets all the signals with over 60% strength, which is more than enough.

I live way out around Coffee Creek and Penn on very flat land, and I get signal strength over 50% with proper antenna adjustment. And actually, I have two devices getting digital signals. One gets them through some very old rabbit ears, and the other device grabs the signal with a very cheap old bow-tie shaped antenna.

If you continue to have trouble let us know. Everyone should have the fun of receiving free digital TV!!

Charlie40
10-21-2009, 08:26 PM
There is NO such thing as a Digital antenna, Any regular outdoor mounted UHF/VHF combo antenna will give you the best reception possible.

smooth
10-22-2009, 08:45 AM
There is NO such thing as a Digital antenna, Any regular outdoor mounted UHF/VHF combo antenna will give you the best reception possible.

Yes there is. Go into Best Buy or Conns and see for yourself.:fighting2

Charlie40
10-22-2009, 11:39 AM

An antenna is an antenna, they just put Digital on them to charge more to the uninformed public.

SoonerDave
10-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Boy, now THAT's some serious, conclusive proof!!! They sell it at Best Buy!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "DIGITAL" ANTENNA, except in the minds of the marketing folks who know that slapping the world "DIGITAL" on an 89-cent antenna convinces people to pay $39.95 for it.

All an antenna does is pick up signals. Period. It doesn't say "ooh, THIS signal is DIGITAL. Yum!!" The *content* of the signal may be digital *information*, which is decoded by the receiving device (in this case, a digital tuner) but the signal itself is just that - a signal.

Most of the over-the-air TV stations broadcast their signals over the UHF spectrum, and as a result the old "loop" antennas tend to work better than the rabbit ears. That said, I think Channel 5 still broadcasts its signal in an attenutated fashion over a VHF channel, and as a result their signal can be very tricky to pick up - particularly in far SW Oklahoma City. Its been a while since I checked that, and I had heard that KOCO was trying to get a clearance or waiver to boost their signal, so that issue may have changed since then.

Charlie40
10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Current OKC stations broadcasting on VHF include Channel 5, Channel 9 and Channel 13. All other Major OKC stations are broadcasting in UHF.

SoonerDave
10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Current OKC stations broadcasting on VHF include Channel 5, Channel 9 and Channel 13. All other Major OKC stations are broadcasting in UHF.

Charlie, I thought KOCO was the only one airing their digital broadcast over VHF...??

windowphobe
10-22-2009, 08:54 PM
After analog was shut off, KWTV and KETA both reclaimed their old VHF channels.

The Digital TV Transition: List of Stations Transitioning (http://www.dtv.gov/stationlist.htm?l=EN&zipCode=73112&x=0&y=0)

SoonerDave
10-23-2009, 05:46 AM
After analog was shut off, KWTV and KETA both reclaimed their old VHF channels.

The Digital TV Transition: List of Stations Transitioning (http://www.dtv.gov/stationlist.htm?l=EN&zipCode=73112&x=0&y=0)

OOOOkay, gotcha...

Lord Helmet
10-23-2009, 07:57 AM

I'm using plain Jane rabbit ears. Nothing special about them. They just screw into the coax outlet on my TV. Nothing about them would make them "digital"

Cost me like $12.

Charlie40
10-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm using plain Jane rabbit ears. Nothing special about them. They just screw into the coax outlet on my TV. Nothing about them would make them "digital"

Cost me like $12.

Exactly there is no such thing as a digital antenna. it is all hype

drumsncode
10-23-2009, 08:58 AM
While we're talking about digital and scanning and all that. Someone mentioned on another thread that all the main stations have a sub-channel now. I didn't realize KWTV had one (they didn't have one a while back), but I scanned again and there it was in all its digital glory --- Channel 9.2

Now that KFOR, KOCO, and KWTV all have that extra channel, I expect them to use it wisely!

Thunder
10-23-2009, 09:55 AM
I bought it about 3 years ago.

On the dtv.gov website, they are showing that all of the stations broadcasting to my residential location is to be strong signal. Not all of them are using the same signal wave.

I checked Walmart online, trying to figure out the best antenna to get and some have an amp for boosted strength and clarity. I live in an apt, so I am unsure which kind to get.

bluedogok
10-23-2009, 10:49 AM
How far from the towers are you?

A simple UHF antenna should work if you are in a typical wood frame apartment. I have a $10.00 antenna (similar to this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8280834&type=product&id=1171058630499)) hooked to one of my newer TV's to pick up the sub-channels that are not carried by Directv and I am about 15 miles from the towers here in Austin. It is sitting on the window sill but that window is on the east side on the house and the towers are in NW Austin.

OKCisOK4me
10-23-2009, 11:24 AM
While we're talking about digital and scanning and all that. Someone mentioned on another thread that all the main stations have a sub-channel now. I didn't realize KWTV had one (they didn't have one a while back), but I scanned again and there it was in all its digital glory --- Channel 9.2

Now that KFOR, KOCO, and KWTV all have that extra channel, I expect them to use it wisely!

When did you rescan?! If it's that recent, I may have to do so myself. I'd be interested in seeing 9's 9-2!

drumsncode
10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
When did you rescan?! If it's that recent, I may have to do so myself. I'd be interested in seeing 9's 9-2!

A couple days ago. I did it when I read a post on this board, coupled with those commercials NEWS 9 has been running that tells us we should re-scan. I'm puzzled why they didn't just come right out and say they had a new channel.

As of yesterday, it was just broadcasting the same signal as 9.1. Still, I'm thrilled that they have it.

Charlie40
10-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Now if we can just get Retro Television to be broadcast on one of the stations sub channels.

hipsterdoofus
10-24-2009, 09:01 PM
You will need DIGITAL "rabbit ears," AND the digital tuner if your television is not an LCD, LED, Plasma or DLP (recently manufactured).

NO - I don't even think there is such a thing as "digital rabbit ears" - rabbit ears is the old style antenna - and it WILL work with dtv converters just fine - I've used them. I will say that you may have better luck with a digital style antenna, which generally does not look like rabbit ears - more like 3 pairs of v's sticking out each side (the hoverman style anyway).

In fact, when I was using a converter, my old rabbit ears with a UHF Bowtie antenna worked better than some newer rabbit ears I had that plugged in to be amplified.

bluedogok
10-25-2009, 11:13 AM
The old "rabbit ears" are for picking up the VHF signal, the "bowtie or hoop" antennas are for picking up the UHF signal. All the TV signals have been moved to the UHF spectrum so the VHF could be sold for next generation cell service. Eventually there will be no TV service on the VHF (2-13) spectrum.

hipsterdoofus
10-26-2009, 07:49 AM
The old "rabbit ears" are for picking up the VHF signal, the "bowtie or hoop" antennas are for picking up the UHF signal. All the TV signals have been moved to the UHF spectrum so the VHF could be sold for next generation cell service. Eventually there will be no TV service on the VHF (2-13) spectrum.

Actually, I don't believe that is true - there are digital stations that run on VHF, just not very many of them - including KOCO ABC which runs on digital channel 7.

MsDarkstar
10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
On my way to work this morning Jack & Ron on KISS-FM were interviewing someone from News Channel 9 about the digital conversion. They said to go to Are You NEWS 9 Ready? (http://www.news9ready.com/) for resources on making the switchover & getting all your channels. If you go to the "links" section, there's a link to something that's supposed to help you choose an antenna AntennaWeb (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx). Hope this is helpful!

drumsncode
10-27-2009, 11:52 AM
What we're missing here is an update from "Thunder". Please tell us how it's going for you, so we can see if you need any more help. We gotta have you up and running for the big Texas/OSU game this weekend, don't we? ;-)

Thunder
10-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I bought the RCA Multi-Directional Digital Flat Amplified Antenna at Walmart for $30.

I got some channels that come thru perfectly clear, including 1080p HD from KFOR.

Some of the channels is not coming thru clear, as in totally bad static or nothing. OETA is dangerously weak among other channels that I can remember.

The amp is hooked, but I don't know if I need that and if it is causing inference on some of the channels.

I do know that CC is horrible thru the antenna, because the line by line scrolling is not as smooth as on cable and the font is not the same.

My tv is up against the east wall of the apt and the antenna is facing the east window behind the tv.

hipsterdoofus
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I bought the RCA Multi-Directional Digital Flat Amplified Antenna at Walmart for $30.

I got some channels that come thru perfectly clear, including 1080p HD from KFOR.

Some of the channels is not coming thru clear, as in totally bad static or nothing. OETA is dangerously weak among other channels that I can remember.

The amp is hooked, but I don't know if I need that and if it is causing inference on some of the channels.

I do know that CC is horrible thru the antenna, because the line by line scrolling is not as smooth as on cable and the font is not the same.

My tv is up against the east wall of the apt and the antenna is facing the east window behind the tv.

I don't think there are any broadcasts yet in 1080p

Thunder
10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't think there are any broadcasts yet in 1080p

KFOR is already there. lol

hipsterdoofus
10-27-2009, 02:41 PM
KFOR is already there. lol

Sorry no, KFOR broadcasts their news at 1080i - I don't think there are any 1080p broadcasts yet.

drumsncode
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Here's what I would try, based on what I did on my own setup. Pick up the antenna and hold it in various places, at various heights, at various angles. See if your signal strength changes drastically. It makes a big difference in some situations. I can walk in front of my TV and it will knock out the signal on some of the weaker stations.

You may have to do quite a bit of juggling, but hopefully you'll find the magic spot and position, assuming there is one.

Thunder
10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Can I extend the cable to the antenna? It's connected with 1 foot cable.

I am having a hard time to move them, because if I do, I have to scan each time I move. Right now, I do not have KOCO SD or HD. It picked up those channels, but it is blank black.

drumsncode
10-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I was hoping your TV setup menu had a signal strength indicator. If so, it will really help you. Let me know, then we'll keep talking about it.

bluedogok
10-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Can I extend the cable to the antenna? It's connected with 1 foot cable.

I am having a hard time to move them, because if I do, I have to scan each time I move. Right now, I do not have KOCO SD or HD. It picked up those channels, but it is blank black.
Yes. With the digital signal you will not get snow, it will either be there or not, the closest thing to snow would be a pixelated picture.

1080i is the highest broadcast standard, most stations broadcast in 720p or 1080i. The only 1080p sources are Blu-ray or HD-DVD (now defunct) and you can get some PPV movies over Directv in 1080p, I think Dish or some cable/FIOS services may have it as well.

Thunder
10-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh, okay. I meant KFOR have Widescreen 1080 and even shows and other news on NBC is widescreen 1080 and/or HD. I get that just fine.

I have some channels that is static (or snowy as stated).

I do have something about signal strength (or weak) indicator and something about fixing it, but not sure.

Thunder
10-28-2009, 03:43 AM
I removed the amp that was supplied with it and everything is much better now. There are some strange channels, but they must be much further away, so I don't care about those.

Thunder
10-29-2009, 04:30 PM
KFOR did an excellent job maintaining their HD perfect strength during the storm last night while KOCO and KWTV went dead blank.

Bunty
11-02-2009, 11:20 PM
While watching KWTV 9.1 today I saw a trailer go across that suggested people rescan their TV channels to insure they're getting the best signal from KWTV. Maybe they changed to a UHF channel.

Bunty
11-02-2009, 11:24 PM

True, but hardly worth arguing about since about all that's available now are digital channels.

Thunder
11-02-2009, 11:39 PM
While watching KWTV 9.1 today I saw a trailer go across that suggested people rescan their TV channels to insure they're getting the best signal from KWTV. Maybe they changed to a UHF channel.

That explains the black blocky images and the disappearance of the CC during the TPIR.

KOCO is the worst weakest signal ever!

Bunty
11-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I've noticed that KOCO tends to require more exact postioning of the antenna than most of the other channels. They're not supposed to shoot a strong signal toward the southwest to protect a TV station in Lawton broadcasting on the same channel.

Charlie40
11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I've noticed that KOCO tends to require more exact postioning of the antenna than most of the other channels. They're not supposed to shoot a strong signal toward the southwest to protect a TV station in Lawton broadcasting on the same channel.

That was prior to the analog cutoff, they dont have that restriction any longer.

drumsncode
11-04-2009, 07:37 PM
For what it's worth, I spotted this on the News9Ready.com site, and it explains why they are asking everyone to rescan lately:

Since the digital television conversion in June 2009, 500 stations across the country have reported spotty or complete signal loss in some portions of their viewing areas. VHF signals seem to be the most susceptible to interference and reports of VHF signals failing to penetrate buildings that are located relatively close to station transmissions have not been uncommon.

NEWS 9 in Oklahoma City has had some reports of weakness and interruption of its VHF signal, but has recently taken additional steps to address the problems some viewers were experiencing. NEWS 9 is now transmitting both a VHF and a UHF signal with reported success in the areas that experienced signal loss. All viewers with digital televisions not connected to cable or satellite, and viewers who use a digital converter box must rescan their channel line up to receive the strengthened signal.

bluedogok
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I worked at Britton & Broadway and we could barely get a signal in the building unless you were on the east windows.

Bunty
11-04-2009, 08:51 PM
For what it's worth, I spotted this on the News9Ready.com site, and it explains why they are asking everyone to rescan lately:

Thanks for that. So that explains why 9.1 and 9.2 are identical. One is VHF and the other is UHF. Pick which is strongest or doesn't drop out. But both channels come in at the same strength on my set.

OETA 13.1 and .2 and KOCO 5.1 and .2 still seem troublesome for some people.

Bunty
11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I worked at Britton & Broadway and we could barely get a signal in the building unless you were on the east windows.

How would this be since you were probably in sight of the broadcast tower?

bluedogok
11-05-2009, 07:33 AM
How would this be since you were probably in sight of the broadcast tower?
It wasn't "line of sight" when you were on the second or third floor and on the west side of the building, all the concrete got in the way of the signal. I've had the same problems down here with cell service and concrete tilt-wall buildings, the tower was on the other side of the building.

Shake2005
11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Exactly there is no such thing as a digital antenna. it is all hype

Could I interest you in a $200 HDMI cable by Monster Labs then?

Charlie40
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Could I interest you in a $200 HDMI cable by Monster Labs then?

Nope!!

Bunty
11-05-2009, 08:26 PM
That was prior to the analog cutoff, they dont have that restriction any longer.

But they're showing 170 Mhz on my receiver, which translates to VHF channel 7.