View Full Version : Halloween in Norman this year?

kbsooner
10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Since it has been conveniently announced that the OU game will be at 6pm on the 31st, any chance that Norman as a community will try to have trick or treat festivities on the 30th to avoid the conflict?

gamecock
10-20-2009, 01:09 PM
I certainly hope they will; I don't want to have to choose between going to the game and going trick-or-treating with my children. Who would make such a decision?

gamecock
10-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Someone just sent out this City of Norman Press Release:

With the recent announcement of the time for the University of Oklahoma home football game on October 31, 2009, the City of Norman is recommending Trick or Treat be observed in Norman, on Friday, October 30, 2009 in hopes of protecting participating children from the increased traffic. The increased traffic might also impact families that travel within Norman and into surrounding communities to celebrations with friends and other family members.

For those parents seeking an alternative to door-to-door Trick or Treating, many nursing homes and assisted living centers usually participate in Trick-or-Treat, and other organizations may also plan to participate – parents may wish to consult their local newspapers for ads from businesses and organizations that may host special events. Sooner Mall merchants have announced they will hand out treats from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday, October 30, 2009.

Superhyper
10-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Perhaps the key is to trick or treat AT the game. Then everyone's in the same place! Now what security would think of this, I can't imagine...

LordGerald
10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Someone just sent out this City of Norman Press Release:

With the recent announcement of the time for the University of Oklahoma home football game on October 31, 2009, the City of Norman is recommending Trick or Treat be observed in Norman, on Friday, October 30, 2009 in hopes of protecting participating children from the increased traffic. The increased traffic might also impact families that travel within Norman and into surrounding communities to celebrations with friends and other family members.

For those parents seeking an alternative to door-to-door Trick or Treating, many nursing homes and assisted living centers usually participate in Trick-or-Treat, and other organizations may also plan to participate – parents may wish to consult their local newspapers for ads from businesses and organizations that may host special events. Sooner Mall merchants have announced they will hand out treats from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday, October 30, 2009.

Go Trick or Treating in Norman on Friday night. Load up. Then hit your own community the next night. There's going to be lot of fat kids in the metro.

scootweather
10-21-2009, 01:12 AM
It is called FOOTBALL DOESN'T MATTER. Shame on Norman stating to have trick or treat the day BEFORE Halloween. I feel bad for the kids if they have to go out on the 30th.

scootweather
10-21-2009, 02:11 AM
I am also wondering where this said "press release" from Norman is that states this? I can't find it on their site.

gamecock
10-21-2009, 09:13 AM
It's on the main page...right after the welcome...

Welcome To The City Of Norman (http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/)

For those of us with young children and OU tickets, it will make life a lot easier. Gameday traffic, as they mention, is also a problem that will be avoided. I am very glad they are making this suggestion.

kevinpate
10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Unless my memory is faulty, Norman has shifted the night for trick or treat several times over the past few decades. No biggie on this end.

MsProudSooner
10-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Lots of cities have done this in the past. It's a non-issue - and common sense to boot.

NikonNurse
10-21-2009, 02:10 PM
As someone who has a birthday on October 30th....for 42 years now...many trick or treat nights have been shifted to October 30th. Especially in case of Halloween falling on typical church days in Oklahoma (Sundays, and Wednesdays). It made planning for my BD party pretty easy on many occasions.

oneforone
10-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Here is a swell idea.... Take the kids on both nights or go to a haunted house or carnival on Halloween night. Use this is an opportunity to have a memorable weekend with your kids. We all know they will be teenagers complaing about not being able to do their own thing before long.

Take them door to door in Norman on Friday. Then take them into Moore and let them walk the neighborhoods in Moore on Saturday. It's not like they check ID during trick or treating.

When I was kid/tween we hit three or four neighborhoods in one night. We were out the door at 5:30 and did not comeback until ten. Then again we lived off of 104th and Penn so we were able to cover alot of territory on foot. Unlike todays kids who ride in a car and hit a few houses at a time.

We carried the old school 5 gallon bucket Pumpkins. There were six of us kids (blended family). We brought home so much candy that we could have opened up our own candy store.

Monkeypony
12-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Noble has a cute tradition on Halloween,
All the businesses downtown stay open and let the kids trick o treat at all their establishments,
the kids have a blast and it provides a fun afternoon/evening for everyone. Norman should do something similarll.