View Full Version : Best Hospital for Birthing in OKC

jessicarobbins
10-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Anyone have any recommendations on hospitals for prenatal/maternal care in OKC? I am looking around before I make any decisions.

If you ate comfortable telling me- about how much did you end up spending for the actual birth and hospital stay with or without insurance?

Thanks for any advice,
Jessica

kevinpate
10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Only one of the kiddos born in this part of the state was born at Norman Regional. Nothing but good to say, and the facilities are even better today.

Only down side at all is they broke him in the process. Couldn't be helped, no long term issues arose. Given the alternative, was the right call. Just never had anyone break one of the older sibs.

RedDirt717
10-19-2009, 02:49 PM
I've heard that the surgeons were douche bags at Norman Regional, not that that has anything to do with their prenatal/maternal care though. Hell I was born at Norman Regional 26 years ago.

My mother is the nursing manager at Mercy Hospital on Memorial in the labor and delivery department. She's worked for about 7 different hospitals in OKC since she's been a nurse and has said that Mercy is far and away the best department she's ever worked for.

So take that for what it's worth.

Millie
10-19-2009, 05:04 PM
My doctor only delivers at Mercy, so I didn't shop around for hospitals. No complaints about my experience, and the food was very good.

My doctor billed the insurance company $2000 for his part of the delivery and for all of my prenatal care. I don't remember what the hospital stay cost.

kevinpate
10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
not one of my kiddos, but thinking back on it, a younger kin was born at Mercy. He's such a vibrant and strong young adult today, I actually forgot he was born and spent time in their neo ICU. Given where he's gotten to, they deserve a nod from our family tree as well.

PennyQuilts
10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Thirty something years ago I gave birth at the OU health science center - OMG what a hellhole and awful experience. No insurance so I went to the $90.00 clinic. I still have scars all over both my hands where they couldn't get the IV connected (nursing students). They hooked up an internal monitor (you can't imagine how much that hurt in hard labor) and then the machine wasn't working so they had to remove the connections and do it, again. They tried to give me a C-section but the baby came too fast. Used forceps. Spinal headaches. A social worker got into a screaming argument with the lady in my semi private room because she was trying to coerce her into giving up her baby for adoption. The father of the child and the husband of the mother got into another fight, each standing on the opposite sides of the woman's bed. With the spinal headache, I was ready to just shoot myself. The baby had complications so they couldn't bring him to me.

Good times...

I was glad to see that place torn down. Anyplace NOT that place would probably be peachy keen. A young relative just had a good experience at Deaconess. It has been too long to compare but both my girls were born at Baptist and it was fine.

Good luck!

ewoodard
10-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I had two grandkids that were born at Mercy and the staff and rooms were outstanding. One of which was Down's, and the care was outstanding. One grandchild born at Childrens nothing but good things there as well.

Luke
10-22-2009, 11:46 AM
We just had our second daughter at Lakeside Women's Hospital which is by far the best birthing hospital in the metro.

Elizabeth Pearl was born Oct. 12th.

:)

Zoedith
10-22-2009, 11:48 AM
My brother's kids were born at baptist and they really liked the hospital.

My first son was born at Deaconess and I do NOT recommend that hospital.

Our second son was born in July at Integris in Yukon and it was a wonderful experience. After the way we were treated at Deaconess we were relieved and shocked at how good a hopital can be. I am also more pleased by my new doctor and the new pediatrician. I have started taking our first son to the same Dr.

PennyQuilts
10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
We just had our second daughter at Lakeside Women's Hospital which is by far the best birthing hospital in the metro.

Elizabeth Pearl was born Oct. 12th.

:)

Oh Congratulations! How wonderful. New life!

hipsterdoofus
10-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Ours was born at Lakeside - I don't think they are quite as well equipped as a full hospital - but if there are problems, they are just a mile or so from Mercy - so they can ship people over there quickly. I will say that from what I can tell you get more personalized care there since they are so small.

CuatrodeMayo
10-27-2009, 08:01 AM
I'll be the 3rd thumbs up for Lakeside. Our daughter was born there in december and we loved it.

kd5ili
10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Our last 2 children were born at OU Medical Center, and both experiences were great. Not so much with our first born at Baptist. I will say though that I have heard that Lakeside is absolutely wonderful. I work at OU so our insurance wouldn't cover the same there, and our OB doesn't work out of their either...so it wasn't an option for us.

-Chris-

epriddy
11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I just gave birth to my first child 9 weeks ago at Mercy Hospital in OKC. I loved it! I was honestly a little sad when I left. They were extremely helpful and attentive. It almost felt like a vacation!

PennyQuilts
11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Congratulations!

Getting any sleep?

OKBound
12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
My oldest was born in a TX hospital and the nurses there were not attentive at all. Thank goodness my Mom and my husband was there.

I have had two planned c-section deliveries at Lakeside. The first was a healthy baby boy born in 2008 and the nursing staff was tops on their patient care of both of us.

Our second child was a girl with Trisomy 18 and she was not expected to make it to the due date. Just before the delivery this past August, we learned there was no heartbeat and that we were delivering a stillborn baby. My ob/gyn, the anesthesiologist, the ob nurse and the nursery nurse and all the staff were all so wonderful and compassionate. They all even gave us a sympathy card, signed by all of the staff involved with the delivery. They had a pink butterfly posted outside of my room so that all staff, including housekeeping, knew there was not a live birth and they placed me in a room away from the other rooms with babies.

If we do decide to try for one more child, we wouldn't hesitate for a moment to have our child at Lakeside.

PennyQuilts
12-04-2009, 05:10 AM
OKBound, how sad about the child you lost. That must have been a heartbreaking time and I am sorry you left the hospital with empty arms. I am glad the staff was sensitive to your loss.

kevinpate
12-04-2009, 05:33 AM
I just gave birth to my first child 9 weeks ago at Mercy Hospital in OKC. I loved it! I was honestly a little sad when I left. They were extremely helpful and attentive. It almost felt like a vacation!

Congrats. However, if child birth seemed like a vacation, it might be time to interview a new travel agent
8^)

PennyQuilts
12-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Congrats. However, if child birth seemed like a vacation, it might be time to interview a new travel agent
8^)

hahahha!! Oh Kevin, that is funny.