View Full Version : Possible hacking into FBI e-mail system

Keith
02-06-2005, 06:04 AM
I sure would have thought that the FBI would be so secure, that their e-mail system would be literally unhackable(is that even a word).

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The FBI said Friday it has shut down an e-mail system that it uses to communicate with the public because of a possible security breach.
The bureau is investigating whether someone hacked into the www.fbi.gov (http://www.fbi.gov/) e-mail system, which is run by a private company, officials said.

"We use these accounts to communicate with you folks, view Internet sites, and conduct other non-sensitive bureau business such as sending out press releases," Special Agent Steve Lazarus, the FBI's media coordinator in Atlanta, said in an e-mail describing the problem.

The FBI computer system that is used for case files, classified and sensitive information, and internal communications is unaffected, Lazarus said.

The bureau is in the process of switching its e-mail accounts, officials said.

Lawmakers and the Justice Department's inspector general have criticized the FBI for taking too much time and spending too much money to upgrade its computer systems.

A $170 million project, Virtual Case File, may have to be scrapped because it is outdated and inadequate, FBI Director Robert Mueller acknowledged Thursday in testimony on Capitol Hill.

Midtowner
02-06-2005, 09:35 AM
It's an email/PR site run by a private company. Wouldn't be newsworthy without the FBI somehow attached.

I'll bet ebay is more secure than the fbi.gov site. There's nothing sensative there, so who cares?

hailmary57yd
02-07-2005, 03:24 AM
So, who gonna investigate when people's e-mails are hacked? I don't think that Police can investigate for hackings and computer crimes.

Midtowner
02-07-2005, 07:58 AM
I think that federal law enforcement is in the same situation that the U.S. army was immediately after WWII with air power. They founded a seperate force, the air force to better handle the new technology.

I think law enforcement needs to do the same thing in respect to computer crime.

james
02-13-2008, 04:50 AM
even i would be able to come up with a better defence against hacks then to just change acounts and update the software if it was me i put in multy viruses so that evencuelly a virus would destroy the hackers programing

Martin
02-13-2008, 06:09 AM
your first post is to a three-year old thread getting mad about a three-year old issue. just sayin'.

-M

Midtowner
02-13-2008, 07:48 AM
At least we know he knows about the search function.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-13-2008, 07:53 AM
At least we know he knows about the search function.

Well, he is a l337 h@x0r with his multy viri...Search functions are as second nature to him as blinking.

MadMonk
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Now, if he can only find his shift button and those elusive . and , keys. :D