View Full Version : Instead of Whole Foods, could OKC put together a public market?

urbanity
10-14-2009, 10:12 AM
News | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12729/Default.aspx)

betts
10-14-2009, 10:35 AM
This is a cool idea. Of course, it doesn't satisfy the needs for staples like paper goods, cereals, etc that still require a trip to a supermarket.

The problem with the Farmers Public Market, for me, is its location. It's too far to walk to, and that's what I would like.

Now, this is what I'm looking for:

"The McAnallys are not the only city developers aiming to create a public market.

Veteran Bricktown developer Chuck Ainsworth also envisions such a market in the popular entertainment district.Ainsworth considered putting one into his Candy Factory project, and recently has been discussing the possibility of putting one into the Sherman Iron Works building on the opposite side of the block.

The building, on the corner of Main Street and Oklahoma Avenue, has tall ceilings and an open floor plan in its single-story portion that would work well for the concept. The two-story part of the building also has potential. Together, the building would provide 18,000 square feet of space.

Ainsworth believes an Oklahoma City market there would stack up well when compared to others, such as the River Market in Little Rock, Ark., that he says appears to be a great success.

“I think people like Kamp’s, Big Sky Bread Company, the Grateful Bean Café and produce growers, farmers, beekeepers and various craftsmen are out there and would love to participate in something like this,” he said. “But what is missing is someone who could be kind of the quarterback of the deal — someone with an enormous amount of energy to pull something like that together. So the crux of the deal is finding someone or some entity that can operate one.”

PLEASE!

Pete
10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Great to see some locals starting to flirt with this idea, but if you read the thread I started on a similar development in Milwaukee (which is fantastic, BTW) you will see it took some very dedicated people a lot of time and money to pull this off, and then it took a few years for the project to be successful:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/18930-milwaukees-public-market-model-downtown-bricktown-grocery.html

Platemaker
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
The problem with the Farmers Public Market, for me, is its location. It's too far to walk to, and that's what I would like.

I still say that an Exchange Ave. streetcar past the Farmer's Market to Agnew would be a likely extension of the MAPS III streetcar... problem solved...

VOTE 'YES' DECEMBER 8th!!!

betts
10-15-2009, 07:14 AM
I still say that an Exchange Ave. streetcar past the Farmer's Market to Agnew would be a likely extension of the MAPS III streetcar... problem solved...

VOTE 'YES' DECEMBER 8th!!!

That would solve my problem. I'm actually really excited about the streetcar concept. It's a great car alternative when the weather is inclement, you've got too much to carry or it's a little too far to walk.

EBAH
10-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I love the idea of a central market, and would go pretty frequently. But I'd prefer to have both (a whole foods too).

proud2Bsooner
10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
I already frequent Farmer's Market, mostly because it brings back memories for me. But we love to shop in the antiques area, then to the produce and plant vendors, then off with some yummy tamales. It is one of my family's favorite Saturday activities.

Some people complain that the produce isn't local. But that is not entirely true. Peaches, tomatoes, potatoes, grean beans, peanuts, onions, corn and other items from the state can be found there. You just have to know when to go. Obviously, things like apples and kiwis are going to be shipped in.

The plant nurseries grow most of their own flowers, plants and shrubs on site.

RedDirt717
10-15-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd like to see this idea floating the around the street car path.

By the time I finish my second Bachelors Degree, and second masters (about 3-4 years), most of the bigger maps III stuff should be done. That is, of course, assuming the bill passes in December. I'll be (hopefully) sticking around the metro and not moving back to DC. One of my favorite things about DC was the "Eastern Market" farmers market. It was about a 30 minute ride on the Metro and had tons of fresh non chemically altered foods, granolas, bread flowers, fruits, vegetables, etc. I used to go out there every other week on Sundays in the Summer with a few friends or a girl and grab some groceries, sit and people watch. It was one of my favorite parts of living in DC.

OKC could do something like this every Sunday or every other Sunday in one of the MAPS III spots.

Grab a street car ride, buy some groceries, sit by one of the fountain areas and listen to some live music, go home and watch some sunday football from my 4th story condo overlooking the park. It's an idea that would dramatically change the way people entertain themselves in the local area, and OKC would constantly be buzzing with activity.

Sounds like something that would keep our talent in Oklahoma city and attract more business to the area.

fire121
10-15-2009, 10:04 AM
This is partially related. The farmers market area will take a pretty serious blow at the end of the year. Sterling's Produce will cease operations. Hopefully someone will come in and take over the building. I think the potential exist for an upgraded Sterling type market to continue in that spot with an expanded variety of products. The place could use a face lift or just a cosmetic remodel and really be a neat place.