View Full Version : Tree "trimming" in Bricktown

betts
10-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Has there been any discussion of putting utilities underground in Bricktown? I was walking there this morning and noticed one of the utility companies was drastically trimming trees that interfered with power lines. They were finally looking nice after the ice storm and now they're looking scalped again. I hate the fact that we have to have large "shrubs" there rather than being able to let them grow.

gmwise
10-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I have been bitching about utilities needing to bury the lines,before ANY more rate hikes.
The ice storms affect the same areas almost every year and the 3 stooges on the Corporation Commission keep taking the bribes and not even trying to do good.

jbrown84
10-11-2009, 02:52 PM
They really need to bury the ones that follow the Oklahoma River. I don't know how they can build the new boathouses with powerlines going directly over them. Plus it looks terrible.

LordGerald
10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Has there been any discussion of putting utilities underground in Bricktown? I was walking there this morning and noticed one of the utility companies was drastically trimming trees that interfered with power lines. They were finally looking nice after the ice storm and now they're looking scalped again. I hate the fact that we have to have large "shrubs" there rather than being able to let them grow.

The utility lines are only part of the problem, especially on Main Street. Bricktown, as a district, needs a complete makeover and an urban forestry plan. There is nothing more embarrassing than to see the Bradford Pears along Oklahoma between Main and Sheridan. Thank goodness the Spagetti Warehouse decided to replace those, but if you follow Bricktown, and see the hodge-podge of tree growth, from Main Street, to the Ballpark, it is pretty ridiculous.

jbrown84
10-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Well said. Jim Cowan, you listening?

oknacreous
10-11-2009, 06:31 PM
The utility lines are only part of the problem, especially on Main Street. Bricktown, as a district, needs a complete makeover and an urban forestry plan. There is nothing more embarrassing than to see the Bradford Pears along Oklahoma between Main and Sheridan. Thank goodness the Spagetti Warehouse decided to replace those, but if you follow Bricktown, and see the hodge-podge of tree growth, from Main Street, to the Ballpark, it is pretty ridiculous.

Clap! Clap! Clap! If Bricktown is really the pride of OKC, there should be some basic attention to the landscaping. It makes such a huge difference...look at how the ABC TV crew were fawning over the beauty of the OU campus during the telecast yesterday, even mentioning the landscaping specifically. In Bricktown, I have to apologize to my out-of-town visitors for the piles of dirt around the canal.

gmwise
10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I am wishing they would pay as much attention to landscaping as they do MAPS.
Not just in Bricktown, but Downtown.

metro
10-12-2009, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if with the $95 plus million loan from the Devon TIF, if we see some major improvements, including burying of utility lines. We already know about the new sidewalks, bike lanes, steet signage, curbs, etc. that will give downtown a cohesive look to it, if someone wants to read this comprehensive plan, I'm sure you can find something about the landscaping and utility lines.

russellc
10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Saturday morning at the Race for the Cure, I noticed most of the trees on the South side of the Ballpark are gone. There were a few left that were only half a tree. They weren't growing right to begin with, and then I guess the last ice storm damaged them too.

OKCMallen
10-13-2009, 09:49 AM
the 3 stooges on the Corporation Commission keep taking the bribes and not even trying to do good.

That's a pretty strong statement. Proof?

John
10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Saturday morning at the Race for the Cure, I noticed most of the trees on the South side of the Ballpark are gone. There were a few left that were only half a tree. They weren't growing right to begin with, and then I guess the last ice storm damaged them too.

That's what happens when you plant Bradford Pears. Worst. Tree. Ever.

Will probably get replaced by a 'real' tree.

foodiefan
10-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Hopefully they (the City) will consult with the experts at the OSU Extension Center. . .or perhaps Steve B from Sunshine Nursery before they plant anything.

TulsaRobert
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
That's what happens when you plant Bradford Pears. Worst. Tree. Ever.

Will probably get replaced by a 'real' tree.

Even still, if they like the look of those trees, there are several similar (yet hardier) trees, like the New Bradford or Cleveland Select.

westsidesooner
10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Hopefully they (the City) will consult with the experts at the OSU Extension Center. . .or perhaps Steve B from Sunshine Nursery before they plant anything.

:congrats::congrats:

I'm tired of seeing the city plant trees, then have to go back a year or two later and hatrack them. All it takes is a little common sense and planning beforehand. Which shouldn't be that difficult.

gmwise
10-13-2009, 06:12 PM
:congrats::congrats:

I'm tired of seeing the city plant trees, then have to go back a year or two later and hatrack them. All it takes is a little common sense and planning beforehand. Which shouldn't be that difficult.

nooo,
you're assuming those dumbasses have common sense.

LakeEffect
10-13-2009, 07:31 PM
nooo,
you're assuming those dumbasses have common sense.

Play nice.

Urban Pioneer
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
The trimming crew massacred the big oaks outside of Covenant Life Baptists "Calvary" at 2nd and Walnut.

betts
10-15-2009, 07:23 AM
The trimming crew massacred the big oaks outside of Covenant Life Baptists "Calvary" at 2nd and Walnut.

Yeah, they were hard at work in Deep Deuce yesterday. It's sad. I'm just glad they buried lines in Maywood Park.

metro
10-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Thus the reason we need an Urban Forestry Dept. within the City staff. I believe there was something passed, or at least plans for one, not sure how/when it will be funded. Edmond and Norman already have an excellent one FYI.

gmwise
10-15-2009, 09:46 AM
yes we do
but until Mayor Micky can milk it for something its not happening

progressiveboy
10-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Even still, if they like the look of those trees, there are several similar (yet hardier) trees, like the New Bradford or Cleveland Select. It would be nice to see OKC plant live oaks. These trees shed their leaves but do not lie dormant in the winter. So the leaves stay green in the winter. This tree looks stately and grows in the South/SW part of the USA.

Dar405301
10-15-2009, 11:38 AM
i live in jacksonville, and i love the live oaks! would they be able to withstand oklahoma winters though?

westsidesooner
10-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't know about live oaks, but Black Jack Oak trees do well here. They tend to be very messy though. They tend to keep their leaves late into the winter (which makes them prone to ice damage). Plus they are very slow growing. Anyone have any ideas as to a strong, fast growing tree that does well here......ash maybe? Like I mentioned earlier it wouldnt take anything more than a consultation with an arborist to fix our poor leadership as far as horticulture is concerned. Maybe we should send the city a # to call.

betts
10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't know about live oaks, but Black Jack Oak trees do well here. They tend to be very messy though. They tend to keep their leaves late into the winter (which makes them prone to ice damage). Plus they are very slow growing. Anyone have any ideas as to a strong, fast growing tree that does well here......ash maybe? Like I mentioned earlier it wouldnt take anything more than a consultation with an arborist to fix our poor leadership as far as horticulture is concerned. Maybe we should send the city a # to call.

I think they're strong: chinese pistache are a really nice city tree. They grow relative rapidly, shed nothing but leaves, and they turn a beautiful orange-red color in the fall.

foodiefan
10-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Thus the reason we need an Urban Forestry Dept. within the City staff. I believe there was something passed, or at least plans for one, not sure how/when it will be funded. Edmond and Norman already have an excellent one FYI.

but until then, they could at least consult with the County Extension/OSU. . .and I'm bettin' it would be at no cost. . . as in FREE.

foodiefan
10-15-2009, 01:32 PM
The County Extension Center has a list of "Oklahoma Proven" trees, shrubs, landscaping plants that will grow best in our area. The Fact Sheets/publications are free. . .they will even mail them to you, or give you an on-line reference. For individuals, Oklahoma City OSU Cooperative Extension Center, 405-713-1125. . .ask to speak to a Master Gardener. For the City/Mayor, ask to speak with Ray Ridlin.

progressiveboy
10-15-2009, 03:20 PM
i live in jacksonville, and i love the live oaks! would they be able to withstand oklahoma winters though? They grow in Dallas- Fort Worth and Big D can have somewhat cold winters. The only thing about the live oaks in Dallas is they are slow growing and takes years for them to reach a nice decent size. Yes, OKC does have live oaks planted in the area, however, they are slow growing as well but seem to withstand the Oklahoma winters ok. I previously lived in Florida, now talk about majestic, grand old oaks they are quite breath taking especially with the spanish moss draping down so gracefully.

Platemaker
10-15-2009, 04:49 PM
They grow in Dallas- Fort Worth and Big D can have somewhat cold winters. The only thing about the live oaks in Dallas is they are slow growing and takes years for them to reach a nice decent size. Yes, OKC does have live oaks planted in the area, however, they are slow growing as well but seem to withstand the Oklahoma winters ok. I previously lived in Florida, now talk about majestic, grand old oaks they are quite breath taking especially with the spanish moss draping down so gracefully.

They grow here just fine... they are slow growing no matter the climate. Some in the South are pre-Columbus.

Pete
10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Bricktown is included in the comprehensive $95 million streetscape project being funded by the Devon TIF.

There are very specific trees identified for areas with overhead utilities.

Unfortunately, I didn't see anything in the proposal that talked about buyring utilities in this area.

jbrown84
10-18-2009, 09:31 PM
They have also ripped out ALL the trees (mostly Redbuds, I believe) surrounding the old Post Office. The flower bed is completely barren and has been for a few weeks. I would like to know why in the world they would do this.

Urbanized
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Bricktown is included in the comprehensive $95 million streetscape project being funded by the Devon TIF...
Are you sure about that Pete? It would be great for Bricktown of course, but I'm pretty sure the streetscape area stops at the tracks. Not that a neighboring CBD with dramatically improved appearance and walkability won't help Bricktown immensely anyway.

Also, I agree with betts; Chinese Pistache should be among the top of the list for preferred street trees. When the Automobile Alley district got a new streetscape in 1999, we were lucky enough to have recommendations from an OSU landscape professor who served on our design committee. Chinese Pistache was his street tree recommendation, and Elliott + Associates worked those recommendations into the streetscape master plan.

Ten years later, those trees have proven to be extremely hardy and attractive. They aren't too dense, like the ever-present and locally overdone Bradford Pears. Also, while they put off a really nice canopy, they don't get out-of-control size-wise.