View Full Version : BancFirst Tower

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

bombermwc
08-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Remember, the place is a commercial venture too. Things like lighting do NOT bring in more money, rather they simply COST money in utilities. It won't attract more tenants or higher rent just because its a little less dated from the outside. So if we are to hope for any renovations to the building, it has to be something that makes monetary sense to the owner...ie Cotter. Adding structure on the setback for retail, hey that could do it. Changing windows to be more efficient...well that only works if the building were paying the utilities instead of the tenants, or if they were seeking some sort of certification, or had some grant to help with it or something.

Also be conscious of those things taking away from it being an International Style structure. If it's altered too much, it looses its identity. And at the end of the day, it's gonna look like what it is, some stuff slapped on to try and make it look better. It's like when you were a teenager and your parents tried to use "cool" words. Something about it just doesn't sit right.

Mr. Cotter
08-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Remember, the place is a commercial venture too. Things like lighting do NOT bring in more money, rather they simply COST money in utilities. It won't attract more tenants or higher rent just because its a little less dated from the outside. So if we are to hope for any renovations to the building, it has to be something that makes monetary sense to the owner...ie Cotter. Adding structure on the setback for retail, hey that could do it. Changing windows to be more efficient...well that only works if the building were paying the utilities instead of the tenants, or if they were seeking some sort of certification, or had some grant to help with it or something.

Also be conscious of those things taking away from it being an International Style structure. If it's altered too much, it looses its identity. And at the end of the day, it's gonna look like what it is, some stuff slapped on to try and make it look better. It's like when you were a teenager and your parents tried to use "cool" words. Something about it just doesn't sit right.

Except tenants are leaving because, among things, the building is not updated and it is often uncomfortable. Most of the space Devon left is still vacant, and prospective tenants aren't going to pay market rate for a submarket building. Investments should be made now to attract tenants, fill the building, and then receive a return.

bombermwc
08-08-2014, 07:24 AM
If that's true, then I'm all for some renovation. It wasn't long ago that the space was full and things were all ok there....my what a few years and a big ass building down the street can do LOL.

Here's the problem I have with things like this. Infrastructure is the #1 key to keeping a tenant. The build-out is decided by the tenant so if you don't like the way a suite looks, fine...rip it out....comes out of your pocket anyway (at least partially). But if the guts of the building suck, then get off your landlord butt and do something about it. Make sure your HVAC works well and doesn't leak all over or is so loud you can't hear yourself. Keep those light fixtures working and don't take 2 weeks to replace things like ballasts. If you can't provide the electrical needed, then fork it over and get it added. And if your common areas still look like they did when the building was built, (and you aren't a historic structure), then you need to get cracking on doing something about it. Even historic structures need help keeping things working. Far too often landlords drag their feet in the name of saving a buck, only to piss the tenants off, bring the building into disrepair, and ultimately cause the venture to fail. I would hope that someone like Cotter would realize that if these things are really happening, it would be in his best interest to put some money into the place. If he thinks he's just going to sell it off, he's going to have a loss if the building is in the state you describe. Lower occupancy is a real killer to purchase price. Hey, the ROI may be long, but I personally wish we had more people committed to that long term ROI so they would hang around. I despise short term landlords just looking to turn properties over for a buck. They do nothing but a disservice to their tenants and the area.

OKVision4U
08-08-2014, 10:23 AM
You are so "spot on". This location could be an incredible anchor for retail / dining for its lower levels.

The Cotter Tower could be that location but it would have to have a "new identity" to offer for the new / large anchor tenants. A band-aide will not get it this time. A complete re-do is what is needed now. I like the idea of adding a new "top" for it w/ a fresh look coupled w/ a new windows and a several large upscale retail for the lower levels. The Colcord has it new look sitting beside the new Devon Tower. The Cotter Tower could be the new look w/ the Skirvin too.

It does need to Re-Invent itself to be put in the front again of the OKC relevance in real estate. The good news for the Cotter Ranch Tower is that Devon spend a Billion down the street and thus, helped secure the Cotter Ranch Tower's future PROVIDING, they act accordingly. ....or, they will continue to be old news.

There is nothing Historic about this building, it is just a tower that needs to stay current, or get left behind.

A new top, new skin, new lighting, new street experience and this tower can be the Hottest Real Estate Property in OKC. ...or not.

Pete
08-08-2014, 10:58 AM
One thing that would go a very long way towards modernizing and providing more space would be to expand the base as close to the street as possible, especially on the south, west and north sides where there is nothing but expansive plaza nothingness.

Could make the whole thing a 2-story glass structure:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cotter2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cotter3.jpg

shawnw
08-08-2014, 11:10 AM
That would be awesome

OKVision4U
08-08-2014, 03:40 PM
A 2-story glass structure in the lower levels would be really a great idea! The property has so much potential w/ so many things that could be done to make it The HOT place. ...

....they may just continue to bleed it dry though.

bombermwc
08-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Totally agree....push out the ground floor to be a useable space. If you want a fancy looking stone floored entry, fine. But DO something with the rest of the space. It's the most expensive real estate in OKC and it's just sitting there catching rain water and bird poop.

I really with Cotter wouldn't have been so stupid about the Underground plans too. That glass structure would have been step 1 to modernizing SOMETHING about the place. You can tastefully blend the modern style with international (since its so freaking bland), but I still would caution against just re-capping (which doesn't actually do anything but kill the style) and gutting the lobby structural elements. Lets not destroy what makes the place International (would hate to kick ourselves for it later). But that's not to say that you can't do something with a glass structure. I'm thinking a metal frame (think something like this (http://us.123rf.com/450wm/dotshock/dotshock1203/dotshock120300677/12690487-metal-roof-top-structure-with-glass-construction-background-from-museum-du-louvre-in-paris-france.jpg) at the Lourve, but not as a pyramid). Exposed mechanical so you keep natural light coming in from the ceiling. Say, attach it at the top of the lobby structure and extend that height out to the edge. You can either get a multi-level structure out of it, or something like a retail space for "open air-ish" dining or shopping. Imagine the smells that could fill an open space like that from a coffee shop or eatery.

Just a small example and I'm sure we could all come up with great examples of something to do that would be immeasurably better that the bricks.

bchris02
08-23-2014, 03:15 PM
I think the building looks much, much better with the corners lit. Maybe with the Chase logo likely coming down, they can light the entire building and not just the corners. I know I've seen old pictures of it with the entire top lit up.

HOT ROD
08-24-2014, 03:21 PM
personally, I like the neon ring and just that alone (no or a much smaller corp logo on the left please). I think the incandescent lights are a bit old fashioned.

To me, the full neon ring at the top has a bit of flair to an otherwise boring/ugly box.

HangryHippo
08-25-2014, 10:52 AM
personally, I like the neon ring and just that alone (no or a much smaller corp logo on the left please). I think the incandescent lights are a bit old fashioned.

To me, the full neon ring at the top has a bit of flair to an otherwise boring/ugly box.

I would really like to see the neon taken down the corners of the building.

Anonymous.
10-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Well that didn't last long, all the lights they replaced up top have failed again already.

Also this weekend they had the interior lights on inside a large portion of the floors and you could see how many unoccupied floors there are. The building looked like a movie set for an abandoned office tower.

bchris02
10-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Well that didn't last long, all the lights they replaced up top have failed again already.

Also this weekend they had the interior lights on inside a large portion of the floors and you could see how many unoccupied floors there are. The building looked like a movie set for an abandoned office tower.

The lights have been out on the east side for a couple of weeks now. It looks ridiculous. If they aren't going to have all corners lit they should just not light them at all. As for friday, personally I really liked the building lit up the way it was. Usually it is way too dark.

Anonymous.
10-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Yea the corner lamps went back out a week or so after I updated this thread saying they finally fixed them. Really disappointing.

I agree, it was neat that the interior lights were all on like that - but it was creepy how empty it was.

Mr. Cotter
10-06-2014, 01:07 PM
The lights have been out on the east side for a couple of weeks now. It looks ridiculous. If they aren't going to have all corners lit they should just not light them at all. As for friday, personally I really liked the building lit up the way it was. Usually it is way too dark.

They were taking aerial photos of the building Friday night, and asked everyone to leave their office lights on. They are usually turned off by custodians if the tenants leave them on at night.

ChowRunner
10-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Ackerman Mcqueen was making a promotional video of downtown OKC this weekend and asked for most lights to be left on.

warreng88
10-06-2014, 01:24 PM
That explains a lot. I was at the Skirvin for an event and noticed a lot of lights were still on.

soondoc
10-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Any chance some investor or current owner might jump at the chance to restore this building. I for one think it could be pretty cool and wouldn't require a complete re-do. It may needs lots of work but would be much cheaper than a new building. Surely someone could come up with some cool ideas and make this place pop. I think some type of rooftop and re-think the lighting situation. The building looks dead, therefore gives the public the assumption that it is and that only lowers the value of the place.

If I owned the place, I'd put some money into, update it and do some cool lighting and give it a more vibrant presentation, leave some freaking lights on at night so it looks like it isn't on life support. I'd then either rent it for more money or sell it for more than what they'd ever get out of it right now. It's really a depressing building to look at actually.

bchris02
10-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Any chance some investor or current owner might jump at the chance to restore this building. I for one think it could be pretty cool and wouldn't require a complete re-do. It may needs lots of work but would be much cheaper than a new building. Surely someone could come up with some cool ideas and make this place pop. I think some type of rooftop and re-think the lighting situation. The building looks dead, therefore gives the public the assumption that it is and that only lowers the value of the place.

If I owned the place, I'd put some money into, update it and do some cool lighting and give it a more vibrant presentation, leave some freaking lights on at night so it looks like it isn't on life support. I'd then either rent it for more money or sell it for more than what they'd ever get out of it right now. It's really a depressing building to look at actually.

A few weeks ago they left many of the lights on because they were filming and wanted the skyline to appear more vibrant. It was unbelievable what kind of difference it made. I agree it wouldn't take much at all to make the building really pop. From what I've heard Pete say though the current owners just don't care and aren't interested in being part of OKC's downtown renaissance.

soondoc
10-30-2014, 10:23 AM
BChris, that would be a good start for sure. What the owner or the people of OKC don't realize is that if this building continues this path it is headed for major trouble. Not only will it kill the property value, but it could end up vacant. If that happens, the neglect of building could be so bad that it end up being demolished. This was the tallest building in OKC for many years and still the second tallest in the city. Would be sad to see it go and I could see it happening if things don't change.

As the owner, I wish the city could force him to update things or force a sell perhaps. It could be deemed a health risk or some type of neglect of city code or something. I just can't imagine him letting it get to the point where he loses more money because of declining property value. Do some things to bring it to life and it is a win-win for all involved. Who is the owner and what can be done? Is he willing to sell and BChris, do you want to go in with me and buy the place and restore it and make lots of money? I have about 500 dollars currently I could add and we could find some other investors and make this happen! ;)

UnFrSaKn
10-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Hoping Continental moves in and takes ownership somehow.

Plutonic Panda
10-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Hoping Continental moves in and takes ownership somehow.I would rather Continental build a new 40+ story building and someone else renovate this tower and turn it into spec a office space.

soondoc
10-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I like some of these ideas. I would hate for it to get to the point where it ends up abandoned. What can be done it about this legally? Also, stupid question but how to you like someone's comments on here? I see people do it all the time but don't know where to click on to do so. :D

catch22
10-30-2014, 02:47 PM
You cannot "Like" comments in a "Wiki" article. If a topic is just a regular forum thread, you can, but a lot of threads are in the Wiki format and not the Forum Thread format.

gopokes88
10-30-2014, 02:56 PM
BChris, that would be a good start for sure. What the owner or the people of OKC don't realize is that if this building continues this path it is headed for major trouble. Not only will it kill the property value, but it could end up vacant. If that happens, the neglect of building could be so bad that it end up being demolished. This was the tallest building in OKC for many years and still the second tallest in the city. Would be sad to see it go and I could see it happening if things don't change.

As the owner, I wish the city could force him to update things or force a sell perhaps. It could be deemed a health risk or some type of neglect of city code or something. I just can't imagine him letting it get to the point where he loses more money because of declining property value. Do some things to bring it to life and it is a win-win for all involved. Who is the owner and what can be done? Is he willing to sell and BChris, do you want to go in with me and buy the place and restore it and make lots of money? I have about 500 dollars currently I could add and we could find some other investors and make this happen! ;)

The city can't do anything, but the free market can and will. FNC is going to get a renovation, the Clayco's towers, and a few others we don't know about yet will pick off a lot tenants. That provides competition and competition makes you grow stronger or thins out the herd.

soondoc
10-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Who is the owner of the Cotter Tower? Just imagine someone coming in and making this place a hip place to be. They could expand the base for shopping and retail, add some roof type stuff and give it a cool factor. Why is their not much interest in this. In its current state, I'd think it could be bought for a bargain. Anyone with any design or photo shop skills, could you come up with a new and improved look for this building just to give us some stuff to dream of? I think that would be cool stuff and the more ideas the better. Heck, maybe someone who reads these boards will pass it on and someone with money might run with it.

FighttheGoodFight
10-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Who is the owner of the Cotter Tower? Just imagine someone coming in and making this place a hip place to be. They could expand the base for shopping and retail, add some roof type stuff and give it a cool factor. Why is their not much interest in this. In its current state, I'd think it could be bought for a bargain. Anyone with any design or photo shop skills, could you come up with a new and improved look for this building just to give us some stuff to dream of? I think that would be cool stuff and the more ideas the better. Heck, maybe someone who reads these boards will pass it on and someone with money might run with it.

Cotter Ranch Properties of San Antonio I believe.

GaryOKC6
10-31-2014, 10:23 AM
I agree that the overall exterior design should be maintained, but there could be much better-designed sidewalk interaction without harming the architectural integrity of the building. The massive setbacks and plazas are the biggest liability of the structure, which I SUSPECT is what Cuatro was alluding to.

I've always envisioned an attached (or freestanding) and (mostly) outdoor covered dining area - a la Cafe du Monde's outdoor area - on the NW plaza across form the Skirvin. If it were a place that served breakfast in the morning and/or cocktails in the evening I think it would absolutely kill thanks to proximity to hotels.

I rode past the Skirvin just last night and contemplated the Red Piano Bar, and how it usually seems mostly empty, which is a shame because it's a great spot. It was smoking hot when the Skirvin first reopened, but I think now it's mostly just hotel guests rather than locals on most nights, because it is not attached to any "scene" or neighborhood of venues. If Cotter had my aforementioned outdoor spot, and perhaps the space catty-corner to the Skirvin (across from B.C. Clark) were activated by a great restaurant/bar/lounge, I think the Skirvin would actually see its bar numbers go UP, because the corner would attract more locals.

Sorry to digress, but for YEARS I have felt that intersection has tons of unexplored potential.

What keeps me out of the Red Piano Bar is not because it's not part of the scene. It is the fact that it is so over priced. I don't mind spending a little extra for a drink in a nice place but it is over the top. There are just too many other choices around. It is the difference between an 80.00 tab and a 160.00 tab.

I have noticed some of the changes at Cotter though. I go to the petroleum club a lot and they have done a good job remodeling so far. The new dining room on the north side of floor 35 is awesome.

Bellaboo
10-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Cotter Ranch Properties of San Antonio I believe.

My wife toured an open house that was bought by James Cotter (Cotter Tower owner) on the West side of lake Arcadia. It was in the millions asking price. Not sure if it is his permanent residence.

bchris02
08-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Does anybody know if the Chase signage is coming down after the new Chase branch gets completed? I heard somewhere a while back that it is supposed to but I can't find it.

The lighting on Cotter Ranch Tower has only been half working for the past several months (looks awful). Could that be why they aren't fixing it?

bchris02
10-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Looks like the Chase signage is starting to come down as I predicted. On the west side it is half done. Only parts of the LEDs are still lit.

I'm hoping they remove the LEDs if they don't fix them. It looks better with no illumination than it has the past six months. It has been an eyesore when trying to get a good night skyline photograph.

bchris02
10-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Since the Chase logo is coming down, does anybody know if new illumination is going up? It would be really nice if they would either restore the LED crown at the top or restore the original illumination.

http://city-sentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1245426625_1245426625-okcskylineatnight.jpg

HOT ROD
10-14-2015, 04:44 PM
nice pic

Eddie1
10-14-2015, 08:56 PM
That's funny, I didn't even realize it was OKC pre-Devon!

bchris02
10-14-2015, 09:29 PM
That's funny, I didn't even realize it was OKC pre-Devon!

Correct. I wish they would light up the Cotter Ranch Tower like that again.

GoThunder
10-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Walked around downtown quite a bit tonight. It really does look bad with the lighting gone. My (optimistic) hope is that they wouldn't bring down the lighting and signage if they didn't have something already in mind to replace it with.

bchris02
10-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Walked around downtown quite a bit tonight. It really does look bad with the lighting gone. My (optimistic) hope is that they wouldn't bring down the lighting and signage if they didn't have something already in mind to replace it with.

I'm hoping. It has somewhat been an eyesore all summer. Maybe they will at least fix the LED panels, many of which have been out since the spring. You would think with Thunder season coming the city would have a vested interest in making it presentable since its the second most prominent building in the skyline and will be visible in TV shots.

HOT ROD
10-14-2015, 11:24 PM
the red aviation beacons on top work for me, if nothing else. It would be nice if some of the floors were lit actually.

Really it is Sandridge that needs to be lit moreso than Chase/Cotter whatever it is called now.

AP
10-15-2015, 06:40 AM
That's a good looking photo with that crown lit. I don't ever remember FNC being that bright.

With the crown lit, it gives the building the look of a different shape at the top.

bchris02
10-20-2015, 04:00 PM
That's a good looking photo with that crown lit. I don't ever remember FNC being that bright.

With the crown lit, it gives the building the look of a different shape at the top.

Yeah that's the original incandescent lighting, prior to the LED crown that was installed sometime in the 2000s when the Chase signage went up. That photo looks like it was taken sometime in the 90s, prior to the BankOne logo. It also doesn't have the Renaissance Hotel which was constructed sometime in 1998 or 1999.

Last night, the LED's were turned off which in my opinion looks better than having only a portion of them lit. I wonder if they plan to keep it dark or if they are going to do something with the illumination. The original lighting would probably require a lot more upkeep than fixing the LED crown.

HOT ROD
10-21-2015, 04:10 PM
As I mentioned before, I hope they leave it dark save for the aviation red beacons. Then put the Chase or whoever anchor tenant on the left indented corners (rather than center). See Continental tower for example.

To to me this would be best because it is classy, iconic, gives some lighting without being ridiculous like the led was imo, AND would not cost much to operate or maintain. Sometimes simple is best!

baralheia
10-21-2015, 04:12 PM
I personally would like to see the original illumination return - even if done in a more energy efficient manner.

jccouger
10-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Time to tear it down.

bchris02
10-21-2015, 04:19 PM
As I mentioned before, I hope they leave it dark save for the aviation red beacons. Then put the Chase or whoever anchor tenant on the left indented corners (rather than center). See Continental tower for example.

To to me this would be best because it is classy, iconic, gives some lighting without being ridiculous like the led was imo, AND would not cost much to operate or maintain. Sometimes simple is best!

This would work well. Sometimes simple is the best, especially if the owners don't want a lot of upkeep. However, I am not sure if the Chase logo is going back up. I had heard a long time ago that it's tied to the branch and when the new downtown branch opens, that branch will be closing and therefore the signage taken down.

I think restoring the original illumination in a more energy efficient manner (if possible) would look the best.

GoldFire
10-21-2015, 06:36 PM
I assume there's been no word on a possible new branch moving in?

HOT ROD
10-22-2015, 12:26 AM
Maybe Bank of America could go up then? Do they already office somewhere downtown? We need a presence from the big banks IMO.

Personally, I think just the Chase logo (without the letters) in the left corners, indented; along with the aviation beacons would be a HIT.

bchris02
11-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Per the other thread on the Chase Bank, the branch will soon move out, which explains why the Chase signage has been removed.

Does anybody know what the future is for that location or possible new signage atop OKC's second most prominent skyscraper? I would imagine if another bank branch moved in, they would put their logo atop the tower.

Pete
12-01-2015, 06:08 AM
Don't know if anyone has noticed, but there is no illuminated cross on this building this year.

The one on Sandridge Tower was turned on the day after Thanksgiving.

bchris02
12-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Don't know if anyone has noticed, but there is no illuminated cross on this building this year.

The one on Sandridge Tower was turned on the day after Thanksgiving.

I am sure it has to do with the fact they've turned out all the illumination. Last year it took a few days after Thanksgiving for them to turn the cross on, but if it doesn't appear within the next few days, I would guess its because its tied to the building lighting, which at the crown is in bad shape. Personally I am fine with only one illuminated cross. I wish a building or two in downtown would do something a little more creative for Christmas. Wouldn't it be nice to have the Sandridge Tower illuminated in red and green (instead of the white they did when they illuminated it) or if one of the buildings did a giant illuminated Christmas tree?

As for the regular tower illumination, hopefully if a new branch moves into the tower after Chase moves out, that branch will illuminate the tower with their own logo. Would be definitely nice to see the tower lit again.

Mr. Cotter
12-01-2015, 09:49 AM
The cross lights have nothing to do with the other exterior illumination. The cross is just made up of a bunch of florescent ballasts up against glass accessible to the service portions of the building.

GoldFire
12-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Just an FYI, the cross is now lit up on this tower as well.

Pete
12-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Just an FYI, the cross is now lit up on this tower as well.

Since when?

I can see it out my window and it wasn't on last night.

Pete
12-01-2015, 05:41 PM
You were right!

They are on now... Just took this:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skyline120115.jpg

ChaseDweller
12-01-2015, 08:04 PM
The horizontal pieces of the cross are in my office. They were installed last night and this morning. They are just standard industrial fluorescent light fixtures like you would hang in your garage. Fugly.

ChaseDweller
12-01-2015, 08:05 PM
But, our new lobby looks awesome.

Hall Estill Keeps It Local - 405 Magazine - December 2015 - Oklahoma City (http://www.405magazine.com/December-2015/Hall-Estill-Keeps-It-Local/)

Pete
12-01-2015, 08:08 PM
But, our new lobby looks awesome.

Very nice!

This artwork is similar to the lobby in the new Lincoln clubhouse. I bet it's the same artist.

http://www.405magazine.com/images/cache/cache_a/cache_4/cache_2/Places-01-HallEstill-685a824a.jpeg?ver=1448313899&aspectratio=1.5009380863039

bchris02
12-01-2015, 08:29 PM
The horizontal pieces of the cross are in my office. They were installed last night and this morning. They are just standard industrial fluorescent light fixtures like you would hang in your garage. Fugly.

I am sure there would be quite a few angry calls made to the building owners if they didn't put them up though. I sure wish they would fix the permanent illumination on the building.

ljbab728
12-01-2015, 09:27 PM
I am sure there would be quite a few angry calls made to the building owners if they didn't put them up though. I sure wish they would fix the permanent illumination on the building.

Maybe you can organize some angry calls to the building owner. :D

Bullbear
12-02-2015, 08:45 AM
I have aways found the cross illumination at Christmas a bit odd myself. I never look at Crosses as a symbol of Christmas more of Easter. But that's just me.

HangryHippo
12-02-2015, 08:52 AM
I have aways found the cross illumination at Christmas a bit odd myself. I never look at Crosses as a symbol of Christmas more of Easter. But that's just me.

Me too. I've always associated them with Easter.