View Full Version : BancFirst Tower

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Pete
06-06-2019, 12:26 PM
50 Penn Place is probably the single best example along with the former BOK Plaza tower in downtown. Union Bank in NW is another excellent example. Valliance Bank may be considered a form of International as well (mainly due to the four prominent columns on the corners).

50 Penn, yes.

Fidelity / old BOK Plaza, stretch and not a good example.

Union Bank, not a good example.

Valiance Bank, definitely not International style.

Ryan
06-06-2019, 03:05 PM
This is not in the same league as the demolition of the old Hale building, or the Mercantile. I’ve previously pondered the idea of its outright demolition as a positive for the city supplying a need for class A office space and room to build. The building is a metaphorical wal-mart sack of dog turds in the skyline.

jn1780
06-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Why can't we do something that makes it look better, but not look identical to two of our most recent towers?
It will obviously get approved immediately, but someone has to point out how unoriginal the ideas for this tower are.

Rover
06-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Why can't we do something that makes it look better, but not look identical to two of our most recent towers?
It will obviously get approved immediately, but someone has to point out how unoriginal the ideas for this tower are.
It won’t look identical

hoya
06-06-2019, 03:41 PM
This is not in the same league as the demolition of the old Hale building, or the Mercantile. I’ve previously pondered the idea of its outright demolition as a positive for the city supplying a need for class A office space and room to build. The building is a metaphorical wal-mart sack of dog turds in the skyline.

Nah, this building is amazing, but whatever style you like best is a plague of locusts from hell.

Wow, hyperbole is fun.

TheTravellers
06-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Had time to post this, but not to answer my question about what other International Style buildings are in OKC? :doh:

GoGators
06-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Whether or not you like this style of architecture is one thing. Whether or not this redesign should happen is one thing. Saying that tearing it down would be a plus for the city is ridiculous.

95% of OKC (commercial and residential) is an actual architectural wal-mart sack of dog turds. This building definitely isnt that.

Ryan
06-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Whether or not you like this style of architecture is one thing. Whether or not this redesign should happen is one thing. Saying that tearing it down would be a plus for the city is ridiculous.

95% of OKC (commercial and residential) is an actual architectural wal-mart sack of dog turds. This building definitely isnt that.

Is it? Look we have the old Bok. Even continental Resources is pretty cubical. Definitely 50 penn. and the Oil Center If we’re talking about NW expressway. But that building downtown belongs in downtown Amarillo at best. If OKC’s CBD has anymore of them I’d jump off the Devon towr or even worse move to Austin

chuck5815
06-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Dang, I thought most folks would be pretty fired up about these sharp looking renderings. It's about time the boys spent some real money on what is a key building in the Core.

hoya
06-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Dang, I thought most folks would be pretty fired up about these sharp looking renderings. It's about time the boys spent some real money on what is a key building in the Core.

I am happy that they are going to do a lot of work on the building. I am happy that they'll be restoring it to full modern office space. I am a bit disappointed that they're making a seemingly needless cosmetic change.

G.Walker
06-06-2019, 06:24 PM
If you read Steve's interview in the article...the CEO of Bancfirst stressed that you can do all the work to the HVAC, but its still a single glass pane window. In other words it does no good to upgrade the HVAC if you are not going to upgrade the windows. As modern glass windows promotes energy efficiency. So it just not cosmetic is also cost effective in the long term.

hoya
06-06-2019, 07:38 PM
You could replace the glass windows without altering the appearance. The change in exterior is a conscious choice.

TheTravellers
06-06-2019, 08:00 PM
You could replace the glass windows without altering the appearance. The change in exterior is a conscious choice.

That's kind of what I was asking, wondering why the choice to do it that way instead of just replacing the windows and leaving the rest as is. Cost, can't fit new windows into the old window openings, aesthetic, ...?

David
06-07-2019, 08:06 AM
I assume they want to make a BancFirst statement on the city skyline, and I don't really blame them for that.

jn1780
06-07-2019, 09:27 AM
I assume they want to make a BancFirst statement on the city skyline, and I don't really blame them for that.

That's true. This is better argument then the HVAC argument people keep bringing up. That's like saying you need to change the whole exterior of the house because you have old windows.

I still think this building would look great if you removed the patterned glass and gave everything else a new paint job. But its not my building.

Rover
06-07-2019, 09:46 AM
It is a square pillar with glass and virtually no outstanding architectural features as it stands - barely any features whatsoever. It wasn't great even when it was new. The best thing it has going for it is that it exists and it is fairly tall, This building as it exists would be outstanding in Wichita Falls. Now, all of a sudden that someone wants to invest $100 million to upgrade it in both systems and aesthetics, people are whingeing all over the place. Probably the same ones who are still using their Liberty Bank paper checks. You know, those ATM thingees just ruin the good ole days of standing in line for a teller. LOL.

Rover
06-07-2019, 09:56 AM
That's true. This is better argument then the HVAC argument people keep bringing up. That's like saying you need to change the whole exterior of the house because you have old windows.

I still think this building would look great if you removed the patterned glass and gave everything else a new paint job. But its not my building.

Interesting analogy since people are upgrading their houses all over the place in OKC, and much of it starts with replacing the windows with high efficiency modern windows. The framing is replaced with the window and is usually part of an extensive re-painting, re-landscaping, re-paving of driveways, re-design of the entries, etc. Most are definite upgrades and is reflected on the sales price they command when they do so to improve the curb appeal.

BancFirst wants their employees, as well as current tenants, prospective tenants, and their customers to feel proud of being there and doing business there. Curb appeal is always important. This is a definite improvement.

Of Sound Mind
06-07-2019, 10:32 AM
it is a square pillar with glass and virtually no outstanding architectural features as it stands - barely any features whatsoever. It wasn't great even when it was new. The best thing it has going for it is that it exists and it is fairly tall, this building as it exists would be outstanding in wichita falls. Now, all of a sudden that someone wants to invest $100 million to upgrade it in both systems and aesthetics, people are whingeing all over the place.

BancFirst wants their employees, as well as current tenants, prospective tenants, and their customers to feel proud of being there and doing business there. Curb appeal is always important. This is a definite improvement.
This!

TheTravellers
06-07-2019, 11:18 AM
I think what most of us that are "whingeing" (why the Brit spelling?) about is that we're wondering why they can't just replace the glass and only the glass on the tower and leave the rest of the original architectural details intact? Doesn't seem that much to ask, but nobody has ever answered why they're doing a complete re-skin and making it generic (technical issues, aesthetics, cheaper, don't care about past history/architecture, ...).

5alive
06-07-2019, 12:50 PM
"whingeing" ...I had to look this up to discover it was real word and not a misspelling lol

BoulderSooner
06-07-2019, 01:16 PM
I think what most of us that are "whingeing" (why the Brit spelling?) about is that we're wondering why they can't just replace the glass and only the glass on the tower and leave the rest of the original architectural details intact? Doesn't seem that much to ask, but nobody has ever answered why they're doing a complete re-skin and making it generic (technical issues, aesthetics, cheaper, don't care about past history/architecture, ...).

because they own the building and want to make it look like that

Rover
06-07-2019, 01:35 PM

The word and the spelling was learned at my office in Basingstoke, England. It’s meaning is very descriptive of a number of people who just find something to whine about in everything, even when they might not even have much feeling, knowledge, or expertise on the subject.

It’s funny you think they are making it generic because it is exactly what it is now. It was a cheap version of contemporary architecture at the time.

And what they are doing isn’t cheap. LOL, we could still have the previous owner and keep the look. THAT was being cheap. But so many would have loved to keep the homage to plain and cheap.

Just wondering how that tie-die and macrame are holding up in the pantheons of fashion. Lol. Let’s all grab our Nehru jackets and head down to protest at Liberty Bank.

bombermwc
06-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Well we all got butt hurt pretty fast there huh?

There's some truth said in this above though. This building isn't old enough for any historic anything, so the owners are free to do whatever the F they want. It's going to update the look of the place a lot and bring value.

I'm still torn between having that iconic International structure. But not so torn as to want to go make a dang protest about it. Basically squaring off some rounded arches isn't that big for me as International is known for the MINIMAL aspect of detail features. Cookie cutter comes to mind. And by far my least favorite buildings. But it is our best classic example of it, regardless if it was done on the cheap. Second hand, but i hear the REAL cheap is Oklahoma Tower (which is also technically International Style) because i hear its floors are so un-level that pencils roll on desks???

jedicurt
06-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Well we all got butt hurt pretty fast there huh?

There's some truth said in this above though. This building isn't old enough for any historic anything, so the owners are free to do whatever the F they want. It's going to update the look of the place a lot and bring value.

I'm still torn between having that iconic International structure. But not so torn as to want to go make a dang protest about it. Basically squaring off some rounded arches isn't that big for me as International is known for the MINIMAL aspect of detail features. Cookie cutter comes to mind. And by far my least favorite buildings. But it is our best classic example of it, regardless if it was done on the cheap. Second hand, but i hear the REAL cheap is Oklahoma Tower (which is also technically International Style) because i hear its floors are so un-level that pencils roll on desks???

i'm sort of on this boat as well. i think it adds diversity in our skyline that helps to make it stand out more... but it's all the choice of the building owners. and i hope i'm wrong and it doesn't just blend in with the rest of the skyline. but what happens happens...

jn1780
06-07-2019, 02:58 PM
I don't think anyone offering criticism is really protesting or hope the design isn't not approved. We will see what the final product looks like a rendering doesn't really show the true color of the glass.

TheTravellers
06-07-2019, 03:10 PM
because they own the building and want to make it look like that

That sounds like something a 5-year-old, or the parent of a 5-year-old would say. It's a valid answer, but not very satisfying or informative.

HOT ROD
06-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Oklahoma Tower is not International-Style but is Modern. Really wish it were taller. ....

SEMIweather
06-07-2019, 11:44 PM
i'm sort of on this boat as well. i think it adds diversity in our skyline that helps to make it stand out more... but it's all the choice of the building owners. and i hope i'm wrong and it doesn't just blend in with the rest of the skyline. but what happens happens...

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any way around it blending in with Devon and BOK if the renderings are accurate.

Rover
06-08-2019, 07:40 AM
That sounds like something a 5-year-old, or the parent of a 5-year-old would say. It's a valid answer, but not very satisfying or informative.
So, the adult answer is,” let’s just vote and see how everyone else wants us to spend our $100 million”? Uh, most investors or shareholders are adults and they don’t think that way. The public? I really doubt many are disappointed in this plan. So, that leaves some vocal critics who can’t agree on much of any plan. I wonder how many of those actually update their own houses, paint it different colors, etc.

JRod1980
06-08-2019, 08:58 AM
They should just implode the building and build a basketball court , but not just any basketball court. They should build a basketball court that has architectural integrity and pays homage to the days of yesteryear. It should have wooden baskets for goals and wooden backboards. That way we can all remember how horrible to original design was and never truly feel like we are moving forward. Once they build this court that we wanted, then we can complain about how they missed the mark on making it look new.

TheTravellers
06-08-2019, 11:52 AM
So, the adult answer is,” let’s just vote and see how everyone else wants us to spend our $100 million”? Uh, most investors or shareholders are adults and they don’t think that way. The public? I really doubt many are disappointed in this plan. So, that leaves some vocal critics who can’t agree on much of any plan. I wonder how many of those actually update their own houses, paint it different colors, etc.

Oh c'mon, FFS, get real. There has to be more behind it than one person at BancFirst saying "I want to do it this way and screw everybody else, we're doing it". All I'm looking for is the motivation behind it, there has to an actual reason and not just "I want to".

Bellaboo
06-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Oh c'mon, FFS, get real. There has to be more behind it than one person at BancFirst saying "I want to do it this way and screw everybody else, we're doing it". All I'm looking for is the motivation behind it, there has to an actual reason and not just "I want to".

Realistically, the bank owners and their board made an educated decision on how they want their bank to portray itself. This building will be stunning compared to what it is today.

jn1780
06-08-2019, 02:18 PM

Because everything else at Bancfirst is blue. Website, logo, etc. It really is that simple. Lol, I think even Walmart exec's are tires of that color judging by new vest designs.

TheTravellers
06-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Realistically, the bank owners and their board made an educated decision on how they want their bank to portray itself. This building will be stunning compared to what it is today.

We'll see about the last part. :) And all I've been asking for is the "education" behind that decision and have been lambasted for it... Thanks to jn1780 for coming the closest to answering my question, did not know that their color/company image is blue, I don't bank there, have never been to their website, etc., so that kind of makes sense.

Laramie
06-08-2019, 05:25 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst053019aa.jpg
New crown on BankFirst Tower should add one more floor to its height.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skyline082518.jpg
You will be impressed with the skyline when First National, BankFirst & Omni are completed.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bobs9.jpg
Will make for a great complementary blend of the skyline; especially if Omni looks anything like it's proposed. Skyline should look full with new infill towers. Omni, like BOK Park Plaza should look taller from I-40 crosstown. Can't wait to see what the new lighting at night will do for the skyline once all these projected are completed.

HOT ROD
06-09-2019, 07:40 PM
hopefully it becomes 520 feet. :)

that will be the fourth tallest in the state.

Laramie
06-10-2019, 11:20 AM
At 520 or 517 feet, it would eclipse Tulsa's First Place Tower 516' & Mid-Continent Tower 513' currently the state's 4th & 5th tallest structures.

Don't have any idea how much height the crown will add. BankFirst Tower is listed at 500 feet.

Pete
06-12-2019, 10:02 AM
From their submission to the Downtown Design Review Committee.

Their plan is to cover the vertical fins/mullions with the same color as the glass.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst061219a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst061219b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst061219c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst061219d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst061219e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst061219f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst061219g.jpg

Sooner.Arch
06-12-2019, 10:08 AM
are there trees in the planters? might be a dumb question but wouldnt they put it in the renders and plans...

SagerMichael
06-12-2019, 10:16 AM
“Lighting at every vertical mullion” “internally illuminated signage”. I would love to see some night renderings to show that off. If I had any say I’d light up the entire building blue like how Sandridge lights their building

G.Walker
06-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Wow, this building is going to look great when the upgrade is complete, I can't wait. Two thumbs up for BancFirst for investing back into downtown!

bucktalk
06-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Wow, this building is going to look great when the upgrade is complete, I can't wait. Two thumbs up for BancFirst for investing back into downtown! Exactly!!!

baralheia
06-12-2019, 12:16 PM
I'm glad that we can see more detailed plans... that's resolved most of my reservations about the upgrade. The building will still be International-style, but updated. The darker slate-blue color should hopefully make the building stand out and differentiate it from the Devon Tower / BOK Park Plaza buildings, and the updated crown should look pretty cool. I'm excited for the changes!

Motley
06-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Are they still adding height to the crown?

baralheia
06-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Are they still adding height to the crown?

It doesn't look like it, since the mechanical penthouse is exposed on the latest drawings that Pete posted... unless I'm missing something.

Laramie
06-12-2019, 03:38 PM
By the looks of the new crown & the 14' signage it might add 13' of new height to the crown; not enough to dethrone Tulsa's First Place Tower 516' & Mid-Continent Tower 513' currently the state's 4th & 5th tallest structures.

shawnw
06-12-2019, 07:29 PM
Just curious, are these changes reversible? Or will it be like 101 Park that can't ever go back even if desired down the line?

KayneMo
06-12-2019, 09:14 PM
By the looks of the new crown & the 14' signage it might add 13' of new height to the crown; not enough to dethrone Tulsa's First Place Tower 516' & Mid-Continent Tower 513' currently the state's 4th & 5th tallest structures.

How do you figure an additional 13'? I believe the 500' figure is to the top of the penthouse, which the crown doesn't surpass.

Laramie
06-13-2019, 09:17 AM
How do you figure an additional 13'? I believe the 500' figure is to the top of the penthouse, which the crown doesn't surpass.

We do know that the new crown will add height; how much is the question. It may be an incorrect estimate on my part; just eyeing the new crown with the 14 feet BankFirst lettering.

BankFirst Tower (formerly Cotter Ranch tower) is listed at 500 feet now without the new crown. We'll see what the actually height is once they add the new skin & crown addition.

BoulderSooner
06-20-2019, 03:43 PM
this was approved at DDRC today in the consent docket without discussion

Anonymous.
07-10-2019, 10:01 AM
I believe the tower has experienced some type of damage over the holiday break. There has been a massive amount of "water damage/restoration" type of companies surrounding the building since the weekend and there is even an entire fenced off area to the east of the building that has trailers with large generators, propane, and water pumps of some sort. The response makes me believe the damage is rather catastrophic.

I wonder if this will delay any of the timeline for the tower improvements.

Pete
07-10-2019, 12:34 PM
We just told that yesterday a chilled water pipe broke on the 17th floor and they are cleaning up the affected floors.

GoldFire
07-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Yes, floors 4-17 on the south side have water damage due to the leak. The leak happened in the middle of the night and it sounds like it ran through the floors for several hours before it was discovered and shut off early in the morning.

Jeepnokc
07-10-2019, 09:08 PM
I believe the tower has experienced some type of damage over the holiday break. There has been a massive amount of "water damage/restoration" type of companies surrounding the building since the weekend and there is even an entire fenced off area to the east of the building that has trailers with large generators, propane, and water pumps of some sort. The response makes me believe the damage is rather catastrophic.

I wonder if this will delay any of the timeline for the tower improvements.

When I officed at One North Hudson, a 6 inch main broke on the top floor over a weekend. They came in full force to prevent further damage and mold. Took off all the baseboards and drilled holes in them and had massive dehumidifiers everywhere, I was surprised ho much damage mitigation they can do.

OkieNate
07-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Noticed today at the top of the building on the west side, something that looked like it could be a part of the new crown. Has anyone else noticed this? Its only like one section.

Southsider2
07-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Good catch^ there’s one on the east side now as well. If it’s not the crown I have no idea what it could be. Window washing equipment maybe?

jn1780
07-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Here is a picture of the two sets of framework. I imagine some test panels will be hung on these structures and this is not the start of construction. Doesn't look like a permanent structure at all.

Pete
07-18-2019, 02:22 PM
^

Thanks for that.

I suspect the engineers are testing how best to anchor the new crown to the roof.

I'll get out there with my drone for a closer look.

HOT ROD
07-19-2019, 01:58 AM
I suspect it will be part of the apparatus to replace panels of the building.

First Canadian Place in Toronto got reskinned (https://www.blogto.com/city/2010/06/first_canadian_place_gets_a_new_skin/) using a scaffolding apparatus that started from the top and went down. BancFirst will need to do similarly before they can do anything with the crown. :)

Pete
07-19-2019, 07:01 AM
This is a crappy drone photo from last night. It was so crazy windy I couldn't really get a good one.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst071819a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bancfirst071819b.jpg