View Full Version : New Partnership to help shelter animals

PennyQuilts
10-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Nice article in today's paper about money coming in to help animals at the shelter.

Here is part of the article:

"About 19,000 dogs and cats are euthanized at Oklahoma City’s animal shelter yearly. City officials and animal advocates hope a partnership with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals will help bring those numbers down drastically as the group pumps $600,000 into local animal welfare efforts over the next three years."

And "Oklahoma City is the ninth city picked for the program since it began in 2007. The city beat out a host of other communities for the program in part because of the partnership between the city’s animal welfare division and the Central Oklahoma Humane Society, said Pam Burney, ASPCA’s vice president for community outreach.

The group, led by Christy Counts, will work with the ASPCA and the city to implement a variety of programs. In addition to increasing adoption, the program will increase spay/neuter efforts in the areas of the city that are responsible for the highest number of strays that end up at the animal shelter.

Another top priority is increasing the number of foster homes available for shelter dogs and cats. Animals often come to the shelter with health or behavior problems that could be corrected if they had some time outside of the shelter with a foster family."

Read more: NewsOK (http://newsok.com/animal-group-oklahoma-city-forge-partnership/article/3406878?custom_click=headlines_widget#ixzz0TFmjWNW Q)

gmwise
10-07-2009, 07:39 AM
I am pretty happy about this.

PennyQuilts
10-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Me too.

We hope to help with fostering when we get back.

Some of my rescue friends help to transport animals cross country - well - they take a leg of the trip. I had no idea that was such an involved deal. Volunteer rescue transport folk carry the dogs about a hundred miles or so and hand them off to the next transporter. Of course, this is mainly breed specific rescues - in my case, Samoyeds. I've read that some long haul truckers carry rescue animals with them on their routes to deliver, which is nice because it keeps them company, is easier on the dog and keeps costs down.