View Full Version : October 7, 1998

gmwise
10-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Shortly after midnight on October 7, 1998, 21-year-old Shepard met Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson in a bar. McKinney and Henderson offered Shepard a ride in their car.Subsequently, Shepard was robbed, pistol whipped, tortured, tied to a fence in a remote, rural area, and left to die.

Matthew Shepard Foundation: Matthew Shepard Foundation (http://www.matthewshepard.org/site/PageServer)

PennyQuilts
10-06-2009, 03:29 PM
GM, was that the one where the victim was gay and they killed him up related to that? Or am I misremembering? Well, duh - if I just read it I'd know. Sorry.

gmwise
10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
GM, was that the one where the victim was gay and they killed him up related to that? Or am I misremembering?

Yea,you're not as old as that..yet lol
He was singled out by his killers.
The killers claim only to planning on robbing him and his home.
The bar witnesses said the killers are vehement gay haters.

fuzzytoad
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM
the following Oklahomans also died on October 7, 1998:

Terri Simon
Malenda Ware
Donna Williamson
Perry Harkrider Jr.
Kenneth D Vaughn
Lois Mae Dannar
Mabel L Beard
Dallas "Bud" Monroe Bishop
Charles F Patten
Federico Zeri
Susan Clardy
Deborah Dickson
Consuelo Hernandez
S. Yale Andekman
Lyle N Baker
Wilma J Eschbach
Sarah Orella Geiser
Donald L Kirk
Bill H McKissick
Joseph Baum
Jimmy Caesar
Murray L Korda
Haru Matsukata Reischauer
Myron Scott
Edwin L Zehnder
Ervin Jeffers Sam
Elma T Stephens
George Perritt
Marion Karl Pogue
Frank Lee Baker
Federico Zeri
Susan Clardy
Deborah Dickson

If I missed anyone here, I apologize... the list I had was limited.. I happened to know someone who died on that day and I find it extremely offensive that someone would use the death of another to push an agenda.. Many Oklahomans died on October 7th, 1998. They weren't all white, they weren't all Christian and they weren't all gay..

I'm sorry that Mr. Shepard was killed so brutaly. I'm also sorry, for him, that people like you use his horrific death as a means to try and prove a point.

ronronnie1
10-06-2009, 09:40 PM
^^^Were these Oklahomans brutally beaten to death for no other reason then simply being gay??? Nope? That's what I thought. Now run along with your tripe.

And as far as Mat Shepard's gay-hating killers: I guess they're being treated to a whole lot of gay sex in the joint. Poetic justice if there ever was.

fuzzytoad
10-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Wow, so in order for them to be memorialized here on OKCTalk, they had to be murdered because they were gay?

I guess I missed something in the FAQ.. I coulda sworn it said nothing about not being elligible for memorial posts if you were murdered for A.) being a single white mother, B.) owning the wrong car in a certain neighborhood, C.) having more in your house than the poor unfortunate soul who broke in to rob you, D.) anything else I missed which will never be sensationalized by Liberals.

ronronnie1
10-06-2009, 09:56 PM
If you wanted to "memorialize" these people, start a new thread. Don't hijack this one just to spew your not so subtle homophobia.

fuzzytoad
10-06-2009, 10:02 PM
If you wanted to "memorialize" these people, start a new thread. Don't hijack this one just to spew your not so subtle homophobia.

2 of the people I listed were gay.. try again.

venture
10-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Fuzzy, don't be a douche. It is obvious you are trying your hardest to troll this thread. The Shepard killing is symbolic to the issues we as a country still have in respecting everyone. Yes others died on that day, both natural and unnatural causes were to blame. Does that mean the killing of MLK Jr shouldn't be remembered by all, especially the African American population, and what it meant on the state of the nation then (even still today)?

Now I know he was just a kid from Colorado, but to millions his death showed that there is still great evil and hate in this country. Trying to belittle that for the sake of trolling and push your own agenda is pretty down right disrespectful and speaks highly for what type of person you are. It also reflects that we as a nation still have a long distance to go to cure the the infection of bigotry and hatred. Now please, if all you want to do is be a douche, be flat out rude, and totally disrespectful just for the sake of getting a rise out of people - either delete OKCTalk from your favorites or maybe look into joining others in a public discussion on these topics to better educate yourself. It is amazing what a veil of secrecy thanks to this board not requiring the use of real names, does to allow people from all sides to come out and just flat out troll, spew hate, and be down right retarded. One last thing I would ask. Would you post the above if your REAL name was attached to that post, knowing full well that any one of us could look up your phone number and invite you to a discussion away from the boards? My guess, probably not.

gmwise
10-07-2009, 01:10 AM
Well my original reason for posting this is to asked are we in the same place as we were 10 years ago, as a nation towards tolerance.
I noticed we acknowledge December 7th, 1941, to be always vigilant and proactive about our nations' defense.
I noticed we acknowledge many dates throughout the year.
I guess Fuzzytoad answered how much work there is left to do.
We need to be more proactive against tolerating hate disguise as "righteous indignation".

""When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis "

Fascism will be defeated again!

Venture79:
Would you post the above if your REAL name was attached to that post, knowing full well that any one of us could look up your phone number and invite you to a discussion away from the boards? My guess, probably not.

Thats how Internet hoods work..

progressiveboy
10-07-2009, 03:38 AM
the following Oklahomans also died on October 7, 1998:

Terri Simon
Malenda Ware
Donna Williamson
Perry Harkrider Jr.
Kenneth D Vaughn
Lois Mae Dannar
Mabel L Beard
Dallas "Bud" Monroe Bishop
Charles F Patten
Federico Zeri
Susan Clardy
Deborah Dickson
Consuelo Hernandez
S. Yale Andekman
Lyle N Baker
Wilma J Eschbach
Sarah Orella Geiser
Donald L Kirk
Bill H McKissick
Joseph Baum
Jimmy Caesar
Murray L Korda
Haru Matsukata Reischauer
Myron Scott
Edwin L Zehnder
Ervin Jeffers Sam
Elma T Stephens
George Perritt
Marion Karl Pogue
Frank Lee Baker
Federico Zeri
Susan Clardy
Deborah Dickson

If I missed anyone here, I apologize... the list I had was limited.. I happened to know someone who died on that day and I find it extremely offensive that someone would use the death of another to push an agenda.. Many Oklahomans died on October 7th, 1998. They weren't all white, they weren't all Christian and they weren't all gay..

I'm sorry that Mr. Shepard was killed so brutaly. I'm also sorry, for him, that people like you use his horrific death as a means to try and prove a point. How sad that you are being such a bitter person. I think just the fact that a young man lost his life so brutually and senseless just because people have hatred and loathe for a gay person is a tragedy. Maybe you should join up with Sally Kern and show your true colors, and I guess that would be quite ugly.

Thunder
10-07-2009, 04:07 AM
Is fuzzytoad related to one of the killers? He's so mean!

gmwise
10-07-2009, 05:28 AM
The question is, is he a self hater or..just intolerant.

ronronnie1
10-07-2009, 06:54 AM

You read my mind.

Caboose
10-07-2009, 08:02 AM

Why are so many on this thread so intolerant of fuzzytoad?

PennyQuilts
10-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Testosterone. This is a Y chromosome shoving match. Someone is going to start windmilling, pretty quick.
And yes, I noticed Ron Ronnie.

DaveSkater
10-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Well my original reason for posting this is to asked are we in the same place as we were 10 years ago, as a nation towards tolerance.
I noticed we acknowledge December 7th, 1941, to be always vigilant and proactive about our nations' defense.
I noticed we acknowledge many dates throughout the year.
I guess Fuzzytoad answered how much work there is left to do.
We need to be more proactive against tolerating hate disguise as "righteous indignation".

""When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis "

Fascism will be defeated again!

Venture79:
Would you post the above if your REAL name was attached to that post, knowing full well that any one of us could look up your phone number and invite you to a discussion away from the boards? My guess, probably not.

Thats how Internet hoods work..

It is precisely this reason that I try to be polite and get along even with dissenting viewpoints. My real name IS Dave and yes I do SKATE. A LOT. It would be very simple to find me.

So, happy faces for everyone. To the original subject: That was a heinous crime, and didn't it sponser new hate-crime legislation guidelines? Terrible incident all the way around.....

And to Fuzzytoad: sorry to hear about the loss of someone near you on that date as well. I can certainly appreciate your angst over that particular date.

The date that I lost my best friend is etched like acid in my mind. I'm glad the day was uneventful otherwise....

JohnDenver
10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Fuzzytoad, you know how many people died on 9/11 who were not in NYC, DC or PA?

:whiteflag

Do you post a listing of all those people on 9/11 too? The logic astounds me.

Kerry
10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
So person A assaults person X (who is gay) and is charged with 2 crimes: assault and hate crime

Person B assaults person Y and is charged with 1 crime: assault

Where is the equal protection under the law for person Y?

JohnDenver
10-14-2009, 08:56 AM
So person A assaults person X (who is gay) and is charged with 2 crimes: assault and hate crime

Person B assaults person Y and is charged with 1 crime: assault

Where is the equal protection under the law for person Y?

There is already a thread you are participating in (regarding a hate bill) that is a better place for this question.