View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

jmarkross
11-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Not as crazy as one might think. Maybe Thunder was thinking about Topping out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out)?

Exactly....

OKCisOK4me
11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Not as crazy as one might think. Maybe Thunder was thinking about Topping out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out)?

They did that when they were building the West Endzone at the Boone.

Soonerfan19654
11-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Topping out and Christmas trees?! What?!

Lauri101
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Nice pics, but can you see through the Colcord or are those just lights turned on in the rooms?

At 4:30 AM? Not sure really - I didn't even notice the effect until after I looked at the shots on Flickr. Usually at that time of day there are no lights on in the rooms.

scootinger
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM

It's probably at least 6 months or so until they reach that point, though.

Pete
11-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Here's a great photo courtesy of Russian Sam from about a week ago.

Little different angle than we are used to seeing and from this perspective you can see the rotunda starting to take shape:

http://www.tnttri.com/OKCTalk/devon 11-15-10.jpg

Cowboy
11-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Nice photo by Russian Sam! It would be nice if we had a construction camera somewhere south of the building so we got pictures with full sun hitting the structure. Preferably a ways south, like on the other side of the Myriad Gardens somewhere. Don't get me wrong though, the camera on the Oklahoma Tower is great too! I'm a displaced "Okie" living in Peoria, Arizona and I'm always interested in what's happening in the Sooner state. I also love tall buildings. Unfortunately, the tallest one in Phoenix is only 38 stories and less than 500 feet tall! (kind of sad for the 5th largest city in the U.S.) I appreciate all the great photos, diagrams and other info about the Devon Tower.

Mike63
11-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Wow....very nice. Thanks Russian Sam!

On another note....I noticed they finally filled the gap in the windows on the north side of the tower. I wonder what the delay with that was? Since the windows are all stacked and appear to interlocking can a pane be replaced at a later date? I would think surely they can.

Pete
11-25-2010, 06:47 PM
There is still a gap on the west side; and I don't mean where the construction elevator is operating.

It's on one of the western corners and none of floors have been glassed in yet.

Kerry
11-25-2010, 09:42 PM
You know what is kind of weird is how easy you can see inside the building with the windows on. Is going to be like that after they are done? I can't think of any buildings I have seen under construction where you can see in like that. Is it just the sun getting in some how and illuminating it from the inside?

UnFrSaKn
11-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Was thinking the same thing.

jmarkross
11-26-2010, 03:16 AM
There is still a gap on the west side; and I don't mean where the construction elevator is operating.

It's on one of the western corners and none of floors have been glassed in yet.

I wonder of that has to do with air flow, remembering how the windows popped out one night during Santa Ana Winds when the Getty Building in Universal City was under construction (~1984) and came crashing down onto the Hollywood Freeway late one night...was a real mess...CHP ran around madly blocking traffic...

jmarkross
11-26-2010, 03:20 AM
You know what is kind of weird is how easy you can see inside the building with the windows on. Is going to be like that after they are done? I can't think of any buildings I have seen under construction where you can see in like that. Is it just the sun getting in some how and illuminating it from the inside?

The lighting there now is quite bright for construction purposes, I suspect that when finished the lighting would be far less intense and noticeable...

flashvideoplayer
11-26-2010, 04:21 AM
nice photos.http://flashvidplayer.com/smileynormal.ico

Thunder
11-26-2010, 06:34 AM
I was thinking the glass panes will be electronically controlled. I dunno the name for it. Like when a window can quickly go black to block sunlight and go clear to allow sunlight. Even dim to proper settings. They wouldn't even need curtains/blinds.

Does anyone know?

Kerry
11-26-2010, 07:38 AM
The lighting there now is quite bright for construction purposes, I suspect that when finished the lighting would be far less intense and noticeable...

The photo I was referencing (#3455) was taken during the day. Construction lights aren't even on. Some of the photos taken by Russian Sam also show the interior very well and no lights are on inside.

jmarkross
11-26-2010, 10:22 AM
The photo I was referencing (#3455) was taken during the day. Construction lights aren't even on. Some of the photos taken by Russian Sam also show the interior very well and no lights are on inside.

IC...I have an affinity for the night-time pictures...always surprising to me...seems like buildings used to be more dark until almost finished...

Dulahey
11-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Perhaps some kind of tinting will be applied later on? I've been pondering this same question for a while now.

jmarkross
11-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Perhaps some kind of tinting will be applied later on? I've been pondering this same question for a while now.

Wonder if they might have some high-tech method in the glass or attached to it to control tinting...

Thunder
11-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Wonder if they might have some high-tech method in the glass or attached to it to control tinting...

I said that already.

jmarkross
11-26-2010, 12:36 PM
i said that already.

"ok"

Kerry
11-26-2010, 01:07 PM
The other thought that crossed my mind is that they will leave the interior visible. Some of the building in NYC have this 'feature'. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the Murrah building kind of like that. I seem to remember being able to see in the windows on the north side, espcially when the interior lights were on and it was dark out.

Pete
11-26-2010, 01:31 PM
The glass is not the typical reflective glass you see on buildings from the 70's and 80's, i.e. Leadership Square and Oklahoma Tower.

It's more translucent and meant to keep light/heat out but still allow to see in and let light out. It will be pretty reflective when the sun is shining directly on it but not so much so when it isn't.

I'm sure the idea is to present a building that has more depth and texture rather than just a monolithic mirror.

installer
11-26-2010, 05:02 PM
They have a wire hanging out of every window

Mike63
11-26-2010, 09:51 PM
They have a wire hanging out of every window

Can you give a better description or does someone have a super zoom?

metro
11-27-2010, 09:12 AM
The other thought that crossed my mind is that they will leave the interior visible. Some of the building in NYC have this 'feature'. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the Murrah building kind of like that. I seem to remember being able to see in the windows on the north side, espcially when the interior lights were on and it was dark out.
Correct, the New York Times bldg comes to mind

installer
11-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Can you give a better description or does someone have a super zoom?

There is alot of bright lights inside and the glas have a wire hanging out maybe for some type of polarizing effect or for automatic motorized blinds

holm1231
11-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Right now we can see inside the building at night because there are very bright lights on the inside. But when the building is finished and the exterior LED lights are working, the LED lights will reflect off the windows (kinda of what the sun does during the daytime), therefore preventing us from being able to see the inside.

oncendone
11-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Tower crane #2 going up right now.

K5FAL
11-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Tower crane #2 going up right now.

It must be too windy. Looks like they have everything set and ready to go up but they're not doing anything so far today.

Dustin
11-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Spent a lot of time Downtown tonight. The tower looked incredible as the sun was going down.

UnFrSaKn
11-28-2010, 08:04 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/DevonConstructionCam2.jpg

clz46
11-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Does anyone know what has happened to the OKC Skyline cam? The camera is still working but appears to be turned around backwards?

OKCisOK4me
11-29-2010, 10:22 AM
The crane is being raised now (certain, as I saw pieces going in).

Pete
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I think the workers largely had the Thanksgiving weekend off but are now back at it, 24/7.

hipsterdoofus
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know what has happened to the OKC Skyline cam? The camera is still working but appears to be turned around backwards?

Maybe an "accident" happened.

jn1780
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM

Oklahoma=Wind=Blown Camera

clz46
11-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Good point, jn1780. It is back up in the right direction and seems a bit higher and looking more westerly.

Fly on the Wall
11-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but the latest Google Earth 6 is out and I noticed that they have a 3D Devon Tower visible in OKC now. Doesn't appear to have the rotunda, garden wing or other structures. It appears to be scale, not sure if it is at the original 950 feet or not. But, it is what you would call noticeable against the skyline! It's kind of neat to be able to spin the view around and see what the tower would look like from different vantage points.

metro
11-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Original height was like 927ft.

Fly on the Wall
11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Original height was like 927ft.

Yes, I believe you are correct; they lowered the height by around 75 feet didn't they? Down to 850. Wish the Google Earth model had more fidelity to it, plus having the surrounding structures would have been pretty nice to see.

dmoor82
11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
925'ft tall/282 meters and 54 floors were the original plans!Not 927 or 950!It's as easy as looking at earlier pages in this exact same thread!

dmoor82
11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes, I believe you are correct; they lowered the height by around 75 feet didn't they? Down to 850. Wish the Google Earth model had more fidelity to it, plus having the surrounding structures would have been pretty nice to see.
^^I just noticed there is NO FNC tower on Google Earth!

Fly on the Wall
11-30-2010, 03:54 PM
^^I just noticed there is NO FNC tower on Google Earth!

Yea, I just noticed that too. I'm pretty sure it used to be there on previous versions. Also, the more I looked at the Devon Tower model, the more I think the scale is off way more than I thought. It seems too tall and too skinny. It's diameter doesn't match the construction footprint well.

Kerry
12-01-2010, 06:26 AM
FNC has never been in 3D on Google Earth. BTW, you know you can right click on the 3D building and turn them off. It is kind of neat to see how places would look if just one or two buildings were gone. Try it around the Sandridge Campus to get an idea of how barren that part of downtown is going to become.

shane453
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
FNC has never been in 3D on Google Earth. BTW, you know you can right click on the 3D building and turn them off. It is kind of neat to see how places would look if just one or two buildings were gone. Try it around the Sandridge Campus to get an idea of how barren that part of downtown is going to become.

Actually before Google added all of their own 3D models, I was working on some of OKC's downtown and NW Expressway buildings- a lot of my models were on Google Earth when they scanned OKC for their own 3D buildings, so they didn't make models for whatever I had already modeled. But my FNC model included the whole row along Park Avenue. For some reason they don't like multiple buildings to be included in one model (even though all those buildings are connected) so they replaced the smaller buildings with their own models for some reason but then didn't have a model replacement for FNC, so when my version of the smaller buildings was removed, it also removed the tower.

I just made a new version containing only the tower, hopefully when Google reviews it this week it will be on the layer, but until then if you'd like to see it in Earth you can download the KMZ file here and open it in the program: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=f11acc4d9cace61b2bb23f6faecb3597&result=4

OKCisOK4me
12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I've been so busy at work, I'm just now getting around to uploading this:

During halftime of Monday's victory over New Orleans. Devon City staying busy at halftime...

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/OkStateBBall78/1291251178.jpg

Dustin
12-01-2010, 05:55 PM
^^ Very Nice!

earlywinegareth
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Am I the only one who secretly hopes we get to see another one or two more like this one go up in our lifetime??? I mean, I got to watch OK Tower go up in the '80s and this is so much fun I really don't want this skyscraper building party to end then go on another 30-year hiatus.

OKC@heart
12-01-2010, 09:16 PM
That was one fantastic photo! Thanks for sharing it!

No I don't think anyone on here wants a hiatus, rather we would be thrilled to have another annoucement prior to the top out of this one if it were possible! Let's keep this City rolling! I would love for a major corporation to announce thier arrival to the city with a new skyscraper that was on the drawing board! That is my largest wish list for the city...there are many others but if we are dreaming that is the big ole Santa gift I am hoping for.

Dustin
12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Maybe Sandridge will surprise us... who knows..

mburlison
12-02-2010, 06:57 AM
I think Sandridge has it's plate full of much higher priorities.

earlywinegareth
12-02-2010, 03:32 PM
This morning I drove the Tinker Diagonal towards downtown and lemmetellya, the view just before the Fort Smith junction was spectacular. For some reason the buildings appear taller from the east, and Devon really stretches our skyline. I highly recommend it.

Mike63
12-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I drive that way every day and it is quite a view. I often think of a picture but the way morning traffic cuts back and forth across three lanes to get to their destination 30 seconds earlier makes think think of living another day.

geterdone
12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Getting really close to passing up the Oklahoma Tower.

jmarkross
12-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Anyone have a good calculation on the actual height currently?

Pete
12-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Counting the 22nd level (the ceiling for it is about half up) I have the height at 365 feet.

Oklahoma Tower is about 434; so Devon will catch it in about 4 more levels, which should be about a month from now.

Should pass Chase and become the tallest in OKC around the first of February.

Thunder
12-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Should pass Chase and become the tallest in OKC around the first of February.

Will that title be given immaturely or only when the building is officially completed?

ljbab728
12-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Will that title be given immaturely or only when the building is officially completed?

No one is giving out official titles, Thunder. You can consider it to be taller or tallest any time you want.

OKCisOK4me
12-04-2010, 08:09 AM
No one is giving out official titles, Thunder. You can consider it to be taller or tallest any time you want.

I don't know why but Thunder reminds me of Vern off of Stand By Me...

In regards to our early morning cam view:

What is that in the upper right hand side of the image? A reflection of a cardboard box lid?