View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

Pete
10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
17th was just finished and they are working on 18 now.

OKCisOK4me
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM
18? Kinda hard to count them now but I only came up with 16 or 17 (yes I'm counting the 1st big floor as 2).

The ceiling of the podium, level with the floor of the tower is #6. Count the floors from there. We've had this discussion over and over...

Here's a visual I worked on to help you out:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/OkStateBBall78/FloorCount.jpg

Sorry Pete, but technically, the forms for 18 are in place and the columns for 19 are getting started. Not being rude here. Just trying to squelch the argument of what floor is really what floor.

HOT ROD
10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
wow! Dulahey - your pics are AWESOME. Devon is already starting to make an impact.

the 2nd pic really shows the density of downtown Oklahoma City.!!! Maybe you should post it on the national forums too.

Special thanks to OKCis4me and everyone else who have provided wonderful pictures of various prospectives. Thanks for taking the time and effort!!

Dare I say, OKC's downtown is quite pretty - especially with this gem of a building growing up before our eyes. ......

HOT ROD
10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
I have another question.

From the renderings it looks as if the skyscraper will be surrounded by water. Is anybody worried about mosquito and fly infestations?

I ask this because the water looks like it isn't fluid, stationary water and lights with CO2 emitters brings. ............

Anybody have ideas?

Dulahey
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I have another question.

From the renderings it looks as if the skyscraper will be surrounded by water. Is anybody worried about mosquito and fly infestations?

I ask this because the water looks like it isn't fluid, stationary water and lights with CO2 emitters brings. ............

Anybody have ideas?

I assume it'll be like the Bombing Memorial. I haven't been there in a while but I never noticed any bug problems. I'm sure it does move and gets filtered enough that it isn't a problem.

hipsterdoofus
10-29-2010, 07:44 AM
The ceiling of the podium, level with the floor of the tower is #6. Count the floors from there. We've had this discussion over and over...

I realize we've had the discussion - my issue was I'd never paid attention to floor the podium goes to - that does help - its hard to count the floors below the podium since you cant see them, but if you know it goes to 6, you are right, its pretty easy.

metro
10-29-2010, 09:03 AM
I have another question.

Anybody have ideas?

This is something I'd expect Thunder to say, not you as much as you've traveled globally. You know the best and brightest in the world are working on this project and have experience building many world class skyscrapers across the globe, not to mention, world class landscape architects are involved. How many corporate or public fountains in NYC, Seattle, Chicago have you seen with mosquito infestations?

hipsterdoofus
10-29-2010, 09:06 AM
I have another question.

Anybody have ideas?

The Mosquitoes are part of the building's security - if you don't wear repellent then you get attacked :-P

OKCisOK4me
10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
As mentioned above, I'm sure the surrounding water area will be just like at the Memorial. There, there is a definitive edge where the water cascades off the black marble surface down below into a filtration system. Without taking a close look you don't notice because of the lighting around the edges at night or during the day because the gap is so small.

DelCamino
10-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Photos from today, looking at site from the west:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/luckynedpepper/13-Oct292010-c.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/luckynedpepper/13-Oct292010-d.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/luckynedpepper/13-Oct292010-e.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/luckynedpepper/13-Oct292010-f.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/luckynedpepper/13-Oct292010-g.jpg

holm1231
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Well the 17th floor's ceiling (or the 18th ground) is exactly 1/3 of the size of the building. So we are probably looking at exactly 1/3 or the height of the building, because the height will be taller than just the 50th floor at the top of the building and the difference in the lower floors are larger in size. So maybe give or take 25 ft. Plus, the oklahoma tower is 435 ft. tall, so devon looks to be about 275 -300 ft. tall. So it will be great to see devon the height of the oklahoma tower, cause that will be around the halfway mark!! Go Thunder, beat the pistons!!

UnFrSaKn
10-29-2010, 02:32 PM
The Mosquitoes are part of the building's security - if you don't wear repellent then you get attacked :-P

"Release the mosquitos!"

ndmoore
10-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I took this around 4 this afternoon. First beam for the rotunda is up. Based off the progress of all the other steel going up around the site, I have a feeling the rotunda is going to go up really quick.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/ndmoore84/Devon%20Tower/df10419a.jpg

dmoor82
10-29-2010, 07:24 PM
^^Nice pic ndmoore!We should start a timeline of first's for this project begining with The start date and so on untill topped out and completed!

Pete
10-29-2010, 07:40 PM
the forms for 18 are in place and the columns for 19 are getting started

I'm not counting a level until the roof has been completely poured for it.

On that basis, 17 have been completed and they are working on 18 and 19.

Platemaker
10-29-2010, 08:11 PM
But Pete... the 'roof' IS the next FLOOR!... so there are most definitely 18 completed. There are already forms for the 19th. I visit with the construction team daily... they are working on 19th FLOOR forms now.

PS the first lever is counted as two BTW. The first floor with glass currently is three.

Pete
10-29-2010, 08:57 PM
I understand that the roof of the 17th level is the floor for the 18th...

Are you guys trying to say a floor is complete before there is a roof? Or am I just mis-counting??

jn1780
10-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I understand that the roof of the 17th level is the floor for the 18th...

Are you guys trying to say a floor is complete before there is a roof? Or am I just mis-counting??

I think that's what their saying. I count 17 fully completed "levels" and 18 "floors". I guess the roof is technically the 51st floor, but no one would ever call it that because the roof is special.

I guess you have to look at it at the construction workers' point of view: the ceiling of a level is being built from above. Their focusing on slabs which are floors first, ceilings second.

HOT ROD
10-29-2010, 11:18 PM
This is something I'd expect Thunder to say, not you as much as you've traveled globally. You know the best and brightest in the world are working on this project and have experience building many world class skyscrapers across the globe, not to mention, world class landscape architects are involved. How many corporate or public fountains in NYC, Seattle, Chicago have you seen with mosquito infestations?

haha, that was a good laugh metro. ... I suppose it is my silly moment - even us 37 year olds say silly things every now and then. haha

But, I actually was being serious though, as this is the first skyscraper I know of, that will be surrounded by water. And add to the fact that it is in a humid sub-tropic zone and will have lots of lights and human hosts. ....

but yeah, I suppose you're right that I should have assumed they will have water filtration and pest mitigation going on. ....

I have been in many buildings in Asia, however, that do have infestations. I've even been in some here too.

jn1780
10-30-2010, 12:22 AM
haha, that was a good laugh metro. ... I suppose it is my silly moment - even us 37 year olds say silly things every now and then. haha

But, I actually was being serious though, as this is the first skyscraper I know of, that will be surrounded by water. And add to the fact that it is in a humid sub-tropic zone and will have lots of lights and human hosts. ....

but yeah, I suppose you're right that I should have assumed they will have water filtration and pest mitigation going on. ....

I have been in many buildings in Asia, however, that do have infestations. I've even been in some here too.

The renders from the first page show waterfalls.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon/devon12.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon/devon13.jpg

jmarkross
10-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Those spooks still creep me out...

OKCisOK4me
10-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I think that's what their saying. I count 17 fully completed "levels" and 18 "floors". I guess the roof is technically the 51st floor, but no one would ever call it that because the roof is special.

I guess you have to look at it at the construction workers' point of view: the ceiling of a level is being built from above. Their focusing on slabs which are floors first, ceilings second.

Okay, so from now on, I'll say the 18th roof, the 19th roof, the 20th roof, etc, etc. And currently, it's at the 18th roof (yes, a full 17 floors have been completed) but considering there is no end in sight until next August, I see those columns prodding above the 18th roof and I think for certain that those are for the 19th roof, therefore, the 18th roof is Floor 18 and if it is completely poured, to me it is a floor. Doesn't matter if it doesn't have a roof over its head because it's still a floor that is eventually going to have a roof!

K5FAL
10-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Those spooks still creep me out...

I see dead people!

SkyWestOKC
10-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Looks to be some steelwork going on top of the podium building...

Any idea what this is for?

warreng88
10-30-2010, 12:06 PM

I would guess it would be the support for the glass on top.

Dulahey
10-30-2010, 12:32 PM
I just posted this in the I-40 thread, but also wanted to point it out here as you guys are the main reason I uploaded the videos. :)
It's mostly just I-40 shots, but at the very end of the first video you get a nice shot of downtown.
The very beginning of the 2nd video takes off where the first ends so you continue getting a nice shot of the skyline. I think you get a couple more looks here and there through the video.
And on the last video you get some shots of downtown and the Devon tower from the ground level of the new I-40.

Helicopter Flyover over Existing I-40 Crosstown in Oklahoma City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l2eIbydjho

Helicopter Flyover over Proposed I-40 Crosstown in Oklahoma City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwKUYLdE8s

Construction Video of Proposed I-40 Crosstown in Oklahoma City (from ground, not helicopter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMaZiaqCoGo

All videos courtesy of ODOT.

Watson410
10-30-2010, 09:02 PM

Ceiling and walls for the top floor

architect5311
10-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Ceiling and walls for the top floor

From the rendering and photo below it appears to be a mechanical penthouse, which would house HVAC (heating, ventilation,air conditioning) equipment.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/devon9.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/devonpenthouse.jpg

SkyWestOKC
10-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks architect, the answer I was looking for. And yes, I'm pretty sure I could tell they were walls...I'm not an idiot.

OKCisOK4me
11-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks architect, the answer I was looking for. And yes, I'm pretty sure I could tell they were walls...I'm not an idiot.

I wish this site had a 'Like' option like Facebook cause that's some funny stuff right there!

I keep looking at the tower from the northwest view vantage points and it looks to me that Crane #1 is gonna have to make a jump before the end of the month.

Mike63
11-01-2010, 07:14 PM
That is one impressive light on the tower right now. Wonder how many watts that thing is.

jmarkross
11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
That is one impressive light on the tower right now. Wonder how many watts that thing is.

It is the Star of Bethlehem...

oncendone
11-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Heard the "crawler" crane is one of only five in the world, and the only one operating in the U.S.

okc_bel_air
11-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Anyone have any good pics of the "crawler" crane.

hipsterdoofus
11-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Anyone have any good pics of the "crawler" crane.

Why do we keep putting "quotes" around the "crawler"? Are we using the word as some sort of "euphemism"?

OKCisOK4me
11-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Why do we keep putting "quotes" around the "crawler"? Are we using the word as some sort of "euphemism"?

Oh my "god", really? lol To me it's almost like bolding.

Or making your font really big

Sorry...

dmoor82
11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Ummm.... wth is going on in here?

okc_bel_air
11-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Sorry, I have a habit of using the same writing style and typing of the post I am replying to. I will try next time to not use any unapproved hipsterdoofus typing styles. :)
:)
So...Does anyone have pictures of the crawler crane up close?

OKCisOK4me
11-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Sorry, I have a habit of using the same writing style and typing of the post I am replying to. I will try next time to not use any unapproved hipsterdoofus typing styles. :)

Post 3023, by KingGober, has an image of the tracks of the "crawler", lol, if you'd like to see a human comparison. It's on page 122, I believe...

jmarkross
11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Oh my "god", really? lol To me it's almost like bolding.

Or making your font really big

Sorry...

Bolding ist gut...mein freund...ja...

hipsterdoofus
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
:)

No I'm a huge fan of quotation marks - was just wondering what they meant.

MadMonk
11-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Here's a shot of the OKC skyline I took the other morning while sitting in traffic on I-40. The poor quality camera on my cellphone didn't do the view justice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/DevonTower/IMG00028-20101029-0756.jpg

OKCisOK4me
11-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Great pic MadMonk. I like how you were able to get the future Boulevard connection in there too as part of the morning silhouette right before you drove over Reno and the railroad tracks!

Fly on the Wall
11-03-2010, 01:14 PM
A few pictures from around noon today,

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac92/Fly_on_the_Wall_2010/CIMG0061.jpg
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac92/Fly_on_the_Wall_2010/CIMG0062.jpg
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac92/Fly_on_the_Wall_2010/CIMG0060.jpg
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac92/Fly_on_the_Wall_2010/CIMG0063.jpg

OKCisOK4me
11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Pic #3...that's what I'm talking about! Glad they're filling in the glass above the top of the rotunda!! And the floors above are still large because if you look closely you can see a couple guys next to the glass panels they are installing and they're still pretty damn small, lol!

Thunder
11-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I noticed while north on I-35 toward the I-40 junction, the tower appeared to be crooked. Anyone going that way, remember to look at the tower very slowly. It is crooked. :-/

OKCisOK4me
11-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I noticed while north on I-35 toward the I-40 junction, the tower appeared to be crooked. Anyone going that way, remember to look at the tower very slowly. It is crooked. :-/

You made me take the time to log in using my cell phone just so I could say, REALLY?!?

And then look at what you wrote again so I could push the edit button so I could say "REALLY???" one more time?!
Sometimes I wonder about you Thunder. Maybe they'll give u a pass so you can take a level on to every floor to make sure the bubble is between the lines. After that, you may want to check to make sure your car is level...

Prunepicker
11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Here's a really, really dumb question.
Where's the Devon Tower?

dankrutka
11-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Thunder, you never cease to amaze me. Wow. Your brain works weird.

dankrutka
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Here's a really, really dumb question.
Where's the Devon Tower?

The current one or the one being built? They are a couple blocks from each other in downtown OKC. Is that what you're looking for?

Prunepicker
11-03-2010, 10:41 PM
The current one or the one being built? They are a couple blocks
from each other in downtown OKC. Is that what you're looking
for?
There are two? Good grief!

Just tell me where they are.

jn1780
11-03-2010, 10:59 PM
There are two? Good grief!

Just tell me where they are.

OKC!, just kidding.

The New Devon Tower is on Sheridan Ave across the street from the Myriad Gardens and the old building is on 20 N Broadway over there by the Chase building, Renaissance Hotel, and Sheridan Hotel directly North of the Cox Center(Myriad).

ljbab728
11-03-2010, 11:36 PM

The Leaning Tower of OKC anyone?

jmarkross
11-04-2010, 01:02 AM

I am FED-EX-ing a big LEVEL down to them tomorrow...that should solve the problem....

dcsooner
11-04-2010, 04:49 AM
In the first pic, does anyone know what the "L" shaped structure being built to the right of the Crystal Bridge is going to be?

oncendone
11-04-2010, 07:11 AM
In the first pic, does anyone know what the "L" shaped structure being built to the right of the Crystal Bridge is going to be?

I really wanted to answer your question, but you had quotes in it, so I must ignore your question per hipsterdoofass

hipsterdoofus
11-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I really wanted to answer your question, but you had quotes in it, so I must ignore your question per hipsterdoofass

The Gallery Of "Misused" Quotation Marks (http://www.juvalamu.com/qmarks/) - There you go - you can thank me "later"

DelCamino
11-04-2010, 08:30 AM

That isn't new construction. Immediately west (right) of the CB is a concrete plaze with underground meeting rooms. Also in that location is the outdoor amphitheater. The L, running north and south, is the existing ped bridge that spans the lake (currently drained).

These structures/plazas/bridges are all being reworked as a part of the makeover of the Gardens.

dcsooner
11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
That isn't new construction. Immediately west (right) of the CB is a concrete plaze with underground meeting rooms. Also in that location is the outdoor amphitheater. The L, running north and south, is the existing ped bridge that spans the lake (currently drained).

These structures/plazas/bridges are all being reworked as a part of the makeover of the Gardens.

Thank You

Mike63
11-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Way to quiet on here, I need my fix of pics and laughs!