View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

metro
08-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Do you all think they are starting it or just a "dry run" to make sure they are making it correctly and that it is going to fit. After the parking garage fiasco of putting the wrong glass on, methinks they might want to double check when it comes to the main tower.

CuatrodeMayo
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
This is most likely a mock-up panel.

DelCamino
08-24-2010, 03:42 PM

jn1780
08-24-2010, 03:51 PM

Wouldn't they have already started mass production of glass panels?

OKC@heart
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM

CuatrodeMayo, On highrise buildings they typically test the panels in place on the building so there is really less of a mockup with the curtain wall. They typially install it and then test in place with the pressurized blown water so they can test for soundness of the weatherproofing.

Pete
08-24-2010, 04:20 PM
In Steve's article on late July, Nichols was quoted as saying they would start adding glass to the tower in September.

So, this is likely a small test ahead of the on-going glazing project.

ndmoore
08-24-2010, 04:50 PM
From the Petroleum Club.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/ndmoore84/Devon%20Tower/3c92cc52.jpg

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/ndmoore84/Devon%20Tower/dd51b0d3.jpg

redrunner
08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Great shots ndmoore!

SkyWestOKC
08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Great shots. Hard to imagine that the tower will be taller than the vantage point you took those shots from.

OKC@heart
08-24-2010, 05:10 PM
That vantage point would provide an awesome second Construction cam!!! Wow What a great group of photos!!!! fantastic!!! Thank You!

sethsrott
08-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I am familiar with a union member working on the glass, he said that they are starting the full hanging. That they had to wait to start until the 8th floor was completed. But according to my source they should be going full steam a head. Also he said that there is fiber optics in the glass so the whole tower will light up and they can change the colors if they want.

OKC@heart
08-24-2010, 11:30 PM
I am familiar with a union member working on the glass, he said that they are starting the full hanging. That they had to wait to start until the 8th floor was completed. But according to my source they should be going full steam a head. Also he said that there is fiber optics in the glass so the whole tower will light up and they can change the colors if they want.

:bright_id:bright_id that is awesome news! I can't wait to see what it looks like!!!!! Thanks for posting the info!!!!

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 06:06 AM

In my wildest dreams--I never thought of this...can you imagine how cool this will be? Now THIS is something SPECIAL. I have always thought there will be surprises on this Tower...this is part of many more to come. Count on it. I did always feel the recessed points of the triangle--had some optical purpose added.

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Just think what the Grand Opening--or whatever the event is called--will be like when the light up the whole thing....like the White House Christmas Tree...it will be on every TV news program in the country. These are not guys with small minds orchestrating this project. They KNOW natural gas is the future, they know we have it here, and they are ready to take the reins on this wagon...hope I can run shotgun--at least as a fan...

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 06:42 AM
Should this added paragraph be on the TV coverage, worldwide?...
"This Tower, at XXXX-feet, is the tallest building west of the Mississippi and the visual icon as air-travelers approach Will Rogers World Airport for landing in Oklahoma City. Company spokesmen say the Tower symbolizes the future of natural gas for the nation's energy and Oklahoma City is the strategic center of this power source. Capitals throughout the Middle East are scrambling to re-negotiate--at lower prices--oil commitments the world over."
Or...they could just skipp adding a few feet....

hipsterdoofus
08-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Should this added paragraph be on the TV coverage, worldwide?...
"This Tower, at XXXX-feet, is the tallest building west of the Mississippi and the visual icon as air-travelers approach Will Rogers World Airport for landing in Oklahoma City. Company spokesmen say the Tower symbolizes the future of natural gas for the nation's energy and Oklahoma City is the strategic center of this power source. Capitals throughout the Middle East are scrambling to re-negotiate--at lower prices--oil commitments the world over."
Or...they could just skipp adding a few feet....

Holy crap dude let it go

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Holy crap dude let it go

Why? Once in a while...people who make things read what the public is saying--and--if feasible...grasp on...does it hurt you?

metro
08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
fiber optics embedded in the glass? does anyone have a picture example of this from another building?

Kerry
08-25-2010, 09:04 AM

Does this mean it has the potential to be the worlds largest jumbo-tron capable of producing images, even if they are window sized pixels?

I wonder how many OKCTalker are going to upset when they light-up in the shape of a cross in December.

sethsrott
08-25-2010, 09:15 AM
This is a close example of the tower. http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/torre_agbar_led.jpg

Apparently, according to my contact, somewhere in MN there is a three story complete mock up of the entire project that lary requested to test out the glass.

metro
08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow, that would be so cool. Hope the rumor is true.

CuatrodeMayo
08-25-2010, 10:00 AM
CuatrodeMayo, On highrise buildings they typically test the panels in place on the building so there is really less of a mockup with the curtain wall. They typially install it and then test in place with the pressurized blown water so they can test for soundness of the weatherproofing.

Yes. I think we are talking about the same thing.

OKCisOK4me
This is a close example of the tower. http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/torre_agbar_led.jpg

Apparently, according to my contact, somewhere in MN there is a three story complete mock up of the entire project that lary requested to test out the glass.

That is most interesting. I hope your source is not getting his rocks off by exciting all of us...

Of Sound Mind

OH. MY. GAWD! Please, say it isn't so.

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Does this mean it has the potential to be the worlds largest jumbo-tron capable of producing images, even if they are window sized pixels?

I wonder how many OKCTalker are going to upset when they light-up in the shape of a cross in December.

I think LEDs are different than fiber-optics...left-wingers would drop dead in the streets in the big cross scenario...it will be interesting if this 'urban legend' comes to fruition. Neat idea, I think, and feasible.

BDP
08-25-2010, 10:15 AM
left-wingers would drop dead in the streets in the big cross scenario

And right wingers would change the constitution so that it couldn't be anything but a cross.

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 10:16 AM
A project for science geeks (like me)...take a piece of 3/4 to 1-inch thick plexiglas...shine a bright light on the edge--or a laser pen--and watch the whole thing glow.

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
There are a lot of possible lighting application for such a building as this. The Hunt Oil building in Dallas utilized a combination of LED, Fiber optic, and traditional lighting. Fiber optic lighting can be very expensive and not always as reliable. I have seen building owners use them and then have fits calibrating them and then later abandoning those expensive systems. The memorial fountain (reflecting pool) has fiber optic lighting below the lip of the black granite so as to iluminate the space giving the slab carrying the water the effect of suspension or floating. However the fiber optics never worked as intended and eventually were left in place not working.

Times change and improvements in technology have no doubt been made, so here is to hoping that the lighting scheme is classy and allows for some drama on the skyline while remaining well crafted. Accents of light highlighting various features with illuminated planes and some glowing surfaces can have a dramatic appearance while not entering the realm of being faddish or gaudy.

I have high hopes that the scheme will be well thought out and reasearched with scale in mind! This is one big ole tower!

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
And right wingers would change the constitution so that it couldn't be anything but a cross.

I guess so...they would need a gigantic--O B A M A--by federal edict to be on all flat surfaces...and resurrect the old Stalin PA system horns on lightposts to play..."UMM UMM UMM...BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA"

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Then take a medium or even fine grain sandpaper to one surface and repeat the experiment and see what happens to the amount of light across the surface of the panel and see how the abraided surface becomes an even source of illumination across its surface! Light is so fun to play with!

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
There are a lot of possible lighting application for such a building as this. The Hunt Oil building in Dallas utilized a combination of LED, Fiber optic, and traditional lighting. Fiber optic lighting can be very expensive and not always as reliable. I have seen building owners use them and then have fits calibrating them and then later abandoning those expensive systems. The memorial fountain (reflecting pool) has fiber optic lighting below the lip of the black granite so as to iluminate the space giving the slab carrying the water the effect of suspension or floating. However the fiber optics never worked as intended and eventually were left in place not working.

Times change and improvements in technology have no doubt been made, so here is to hoping that the lighting scheme is classy and allows for some drama on the skyline while remaining well crafted. Accents of light highlighting various features with illuminated planes and some glowing surfaces can have a dramatic appearance while not entering the realm of being faddish or gaudy.

I have high hopes that the scheme will be well thought out and reasearched with scale in mind! This is one big ole tower!

Please don't Dallas-icate my OKC!

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
My thoughts exactly! We are and have always been our own city, so we need not keep pace with others, Since the days of the land run, Oklahoma has done things are own way and through most of the time have been very successful at it! We are a city reinventing ourselves and innovating with the initiatives that we have all pitched in to make realities. So this is another result of that pioneering spirit! What a great time in OKC!!!! And for the state for that matter!

OKCisOK4me
08-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Can anyone tell from close observation what that light square thing is laying on the concrete in front of the half circle in front of where the podium will be built? I'm just wondering if those are glass panels that they're putting in place. If you're still confused on what I'm talking about, it's right above the sloping metal piece of the east garage in the still cam shot. Thanks!

jn1780
08-25-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't think Devon is going to be too extravagant with its lighting.

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't think that they are glass panels, rather I think that they are tying steel for the Core on the slab and then lifting them into place to speed the process and then once they lift them into place they tie them in with the protruding steel from the core level below. It would be great to get some more detailed shots from the West of the sight and looking down at this area to see what the pace of the glazing progress will be as well as a better look at the area you questioned.

hipsterdoofus
08-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Why? Once in a while...people who make things read what the public is saying--and--if feasible...grasp on...does it hurt you?

No...its just that is all you post about is "what if" instead of talking about the construction itself...you've said your piece.

Thunder
08-25-2010, 11:33 AM
There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 9 guests)

1. Thunder
2. Thundercitizen
3. GoThunder

LOL! Looks like I have followers. :-O

I think it is kool about the fiber optics in the glass, but the picture shown in a link provided by another member of a different building - too much...what the word...brightness? Its just too strong. Don't think Devon will be that excessive. I think what they should do is have a nonstop blue neon from top to bottom along the corners, and a couple of very large white/blue spotlights at the top.

The building is now higher than the Colcord.

FritterGirl
08-25-2010, 11:42 AM
GLASS PANEL PICS from AUGUST 25 in link below

Well, apparently I cannot upload any more pics as I've exceeded my user limit and am not able to delete old pics. I took several pics from across the street at Hudson about half an hour ago. You can see them HERE (http://picasaweb.google.com/111378425574817089099/DevonTowerAugust252010#). Those of you with more upload smarts than I are welcome to share them in the thread, just let folks know where you got them.

OKCisOK4me
08-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't think that they are glass panels, rather I think that they are tying steel for the Core on the slab and then lifting them into place to speed the process and then once they lift them into place they tie them in with the protruding steel from the core level below. It would be great to get some more detailed shots from the West of the sight and looking down at this area to see what the pace of the glazing progress will be as well as a better look at the area you questioned.

Thank you for that observation. That actually makes sense considering they're the exact same size, from the looks of it. Anyone know why they start them on one side of each core and then when they move up to the next level they apply them to the opposing side of the cores? The only reason I can think of is balance...

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 12:12 PM
The reason is that they are overlapping the reinforcing so that even though the cores are being poured on a floor by floor basis, the reinforcing steel passes through and has no joint where or close to the pour joint is thus creating a weakness. By allowing the reinforcing steel to be continuous it strengthens the core as a unified and monolithic object giving it much more structural integrity.

There may be a much more concise and informative description out there from a structural engineer, but that is the gist of it anyway.

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=Thunder;356145]

I think it is kool about the fiber optics in the glass, but the picture shown in a link provided by another member of a different building - too much...what the word...brightness? Its just too strong. QUOTE]

The image that was shown actually was using LED lighting rather than fiber optic lighting. I agree that it is far too much and doubt seriously that it is the intention of the owner or architect to make this stunning building a gimick.

OKCisOK4me
08-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Well, I appreciate your gist. I'm glad we have people on this thread willing to share their knowledge making us all more aware of what's going on.

OKCisOK4me
08-25-2010, 12:17 PM
I wonder when they're going to raise Crane 2. The pump is getting awfully close to it. And when they raise it, will it be higher than Crane 1 or roughly the same level as you see on many other highrise construction pics?

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the great pictures Frittergirl! From your vantage point you can see that the building of the Glazing system is ongoing and they have turned the corner or peak of the angled portion of the floor. Nice to see the glass on a less than cloudy day as well!

okcmomentum
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Rotunda area
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/okcmomentum/3677be4f.jpg

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/okcmomentum/60c0da95.jpg

Myriad Gardens work is chugging along too
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/okcmomentum/d1100e8c.jpg

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks Okcmomentum!!!! Man talk about ask and ye shall receive!!!! How cool to see this area with such detail! So much has transpired in this area while we have all been understandably focused on the tower of late!

MadMonk
08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
One of the pics from FritterGirl's site:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fwGb6YFu2jA/THVVmCliVvI/AAAAAAAAAA8/ODBTJURLbZA/Devon825107.jpg

Platemaker
08-25-2010, 01:21 PM
The way the glass looks int that picture is similar to the color of the Hancock building in Boston. It may 'disappear' into the sky on especially clear blue days.

dmoor82
08-25-2010, 02:07 PM
^^Hopefully we dont have the problems with The Devon Tower glass like Boston did with The Hancock Tower panels falling off onto The street below!I doubt we do!

Dustin
08-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Exciting that the glass is finally going up!

metro
08-25-2010, 02:44 PM
They are moving the red stapler into the basement level next

therondo
08-25-2010, 03:00 PM
No...its just that is all you post about is "what if" instead of talking about the construction itself...you've said your piece.

Thank you!!!!!! I think we hear his piece daily......

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 03:11 PM
GLASS PANEL PICS from AUGUST 25 in link below

Well, apparently I cannot upload any more pics as I've exceeded my user limit and am not able to delete old pics. I took several pics from across the street at Hudson about half an hour ago. You can see them HERE (http://picasaweb.google.com/111378425574817089099/DevonTowerAugust252010#). Those of you with more upload smarts than I are welcome to share them in the thread, just let folks know where you got them.

Thanks FritterGirl! Great pictures...thanks for including the wall around the site...interesting!

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 03:18 PM

At least you do describe yourself properly by name...you are hip...

jmarkross
08-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Thank you!!!!!! I think we hear his piece daily......

I must apologize to you, therondo...for stepping too hard on your pretty little boy-face...sweetie-pie

OKCisOK4me
08-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Jmark, I do enjoy your input you've added to the thread but the 'what if's' make me want to create a "Devon Tower--What IF?" thread.

UnFrSaKn
08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I got something good coming up soon...
You would have seen me on the web cam.

BIG GENE
08-25-2010, 06:33 PM
what ever happened to big gene and devonshire?

lol....more like threatened with my job the day after i registered on this site!!!! Yes... Because i said id post a pic of the birds nesting in the tower crane. Evidentally i signed a document upon hiring stating i'd use no recording devices!! I was told that if i posted on this website again it would be highly scrutinized....so i just dropped out....

But no matter now... I was fired monday for incidental line contact with crane two....so i guess i can talk now...lol. With the cranes overlapping the way they do....its going to happen.... Has happened many times. But cruz (the crane superintendent) decides which incidents to document and pursue....depending on who's involved. Mine happened saturday....the last pick of the day ending a 90 hour week. Cruz was at his apt on the backside of the job site...watching out his window....co. Radios in hand. He likes to have a few drinks when he gets home. Its not unusual to get calls from him.... Slurring his words.... Giving the nightshift operators a hard time. We usually just hang up on him....chalking it up to his drunkeness. But this time he went too far in my opinion. I dont mind getting fired.... Its the nature of the business when you make hundreds of picks a week....incidentals happen. No property damage...no injuries. I just dont like that the fact that holder/flintco (the general contractor) picks and chooses who they go after and which incidents require documentation, drug tests, incident reports, etc......and which incidents are ignored....depending on who you are. Cruz was using co. Radios, calling co. Employees, enforcing co. Policy, etc....... While admittedly drunk!!!!!! Yet, even tho holder/flintco co. Policy for drunkeness on duty is termination.... Cruz didnt even get a slap on the wrist... Much less a drug and alchohol test... Like i did. (which i passed). Of course i met with the project manager (vince) to give my objections and to make sure he was aware of the previous incidents with cruz....to no avail. I just felt if i got fired for breaking co. Policy....so should cruz!!!!!!! Its not the first time he's been caught on duty drunk. Other nightsift operators can verify it (the night time calls) and the carpenter superintendent told me he got a call from cruz that sat. Telling him that he fired me and was admittedly drunk and could not physically go on the jobsite because of it. Even tho all his superiors all the way up to project manager are aware of everything i've stated here....they continue to cover for him. Office politics!! Bull****!!! Yeah...i threw a fit on my way out the door. Damn right!!! In 32 two years of operating cranes ... That's only the second time ive been fired. And the first time was politics also....and yeah, i needed that job. But life goes on. I still love okc and hopefully i'll find work here so i can stay. But its a tough economy out there...wish me luck!!!

SkyWestOKC
08-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear Gene. There are tons of construction opportunities in state right now, so hopefully you can find a new job here sometime soon. With 32 years of construction/crane experience you'd probably be near or at the top of the interview list at any construction company you apply for.

MadMonk
08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Whoever reading this site that threatened Big Gene for posting here is a jackass. You know it and now we all know it.