View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

Architect2010
07-27-2010, 06:15 AM
just a side note, all taxis and transit busses (most every city) in China use CNG. ... In fact, China is a LONG way ahead of USA when it comes to renewable energy. .....

But that's only to be expected. That country is almost 5 times as populated as the United States and is the heaviest pollution-producing country in the world. They had better be ahead of us in the Green movement because they need it. ;P

Thunder
07-27-2010, 06:41 AM
I thought the tower will be at least twice the height to the tallest one downtown? That picture just made it look shorter than 850... :-(

hipsterdoofus
07-27-2010, 06:48 AM
NW Core has gone up.

OKCisOK4me
07-27-2010, 08:52 AM
NW Core has gone up.

You mean, NE Core...

hipsterdoofus
07-27-2010, 09:24 AM
You mean, NE Core...

Dangit...I made the same mistake in my head as I was walking in this morning...yes, NE

jmarkross
07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I thought the tower will be at least twice the height to the tallest one downtown? That picture just made it look shorter than 850... :-(

I thought that as well, at first glance. But--with Chase at 500 ft.--and Devon at 850 ft., it is rather less than twice as high. So, the diagram is correct...the initial renderings and models look closer to twice the size--but--they are on the 925 ft. projection. And, since the final height is not known...we'll have to wait and see! :tiphat:

soonerwilliam
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
How do I get the new updated Devon construction cam back. I found this new thread, but don't know where the cam is located? Thanks

ndmoore
07-27-2010, 10:37 AM
How do I get the new updated Devon construction cam back. I found this new thread, but don't know where the cam is located? Thanks

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/webcam/DevonConstructionCam.jpg

BoulderSooner
07-27-2010, 10:59 AM
One great advantage for China--and many other countries more recently developed--is they were not so deeply entrenched in gasoline-based transportation, they were able to jump into the fray with better visions of the future without the burden of a gigantic infrastructure dedicated and designed for 1950's-style technology--a distinct advantage. I am sure they will be marketing CNG vehicles into the USA soon--and should do very well. Detroit is still hopelessly behind on this--Ford being better positioned than GM. GM is a company which simply has *no chance* of survival--for many varied reasons. Chrysler is a boutique, the foreign car-makers located in the South are the future of the USA-auto industry.

GM is the #1 car company in china .. it is far from DEAD and when did CNG become "renewable" energy?

ndmoore
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Taken just now!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/ndobbs84/9a9c0dd7.jpg

jmarkross
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
GM is the #1 car company in china .. it is far from DEAD and when did CNG become "renewable" energy?

I think GM is dead in the USA...it has financial commitments it can never meet with unions. GM is throwing their entire business into China.

dteagle
07-27-2010, 11:58 AM
I thought that as well, at first glance. But--with Chase at 500 ft.--and Devon at 850 ft., it is rather less than twice as high. So, the diagram is correct...the initial renderings and models look closer to twice the size--but--they are on the 925 ft. projection. And, since the final height is not known...we'll have to wait and see! :tiphat:

Devon has stated that the height will be 850 feet based on an assessment of their actual needs. What do we have, other than pure speculation, to suggest that the actual height is unknown? Devon is not an ego-driven company, which is part of why they've produced such great results for their shareholders. It would be surprising to learn that they've assessed their needs at 850 feet, but will go significantly higher for bragging rights. I think that there would have to be some other motivation in play.

For the record, I would be thrilled to learn that the building is going higher.

SkyWestOKC
07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Adding on to dteagle's post, I think the only way they will make the tower taller is if they acquire another company soon. That would give them a reasonable excuse to the shareholders for going taller. Say even a smaller company, similar to the SandRidge merger-acquisition of Arena Resources.

I would also like to see it go taller.

kinggober
07-27-2010, 12:39 PM
thanks for the photo ndmoore

OKCisOK4me
07-27-2010, 01:14 PM
It's safe to say that we'd all like to see it go taller, but I honestly don't think that will happen. As stated before, based on only pure speculation, as no one has released any kind of details, we've all seen the work done but don't know the specifications of weight loads. Are we to assume that the columns they put into the ground are deep enough to support another 75 feet worth of building? Your guess is as good as mine. Only time will tell.

hipsterdoofus
07-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Devon is not an ego-driven company,

I don't think they would be building this if they didn't have some ego...

SkyWestOKC
07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
They are building it because they need everyone in one location. Not spread out over 3 or 4 office buildings in downtown. Efficiency first. I am sure they looked at a campus like Chesapeake, but decided one building would be a better fit.

hipsterdoofus
07-27-2010, 02:51 PM
You're right..no ego at all..to make it nearly twice as tall as the other buildings downtown..riiight...

soonermike
07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think they would be building this if they didn't have some ego...

If that was the case, then they wouldn't have cut floors from the tower when they decided to build the offsite data center. The goal is to stop paying rent and have employees in 5 buildings but instead have everyone in one owned location.
Also, there are no secret plans to make the building taller. One thing about Larry Nichols; he says what he means and means what he says. Unless something changes very soon and there are several new employees added to the company, this building will meet Devon's needs and it will be 50 stories @ 850'.

soonerwilliam
07-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks ndmoore! I've got the cam back.

Mesta Parker
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
China can act quick because it is a dictatorship and does not has to worry about appeasing various factions. That being said, take anything China says or does environmentally with a grain of salt. My experience with the Chinese, which is extensive, is that in most cases they are long on talk and short on action; especially if it adversely impacts economic development. The only reason Beijing's air quality improved was because of the Olympics. Before that, like other Chinese cities, unless there was a stiff wind, on a clear day at noon you didn't even need to squint to look at the sun! Had a Chinese colleague tell me he had heard the sky was more blue in the US, but he didn't believe it till he saw it for himself.

TaurusNYC
07-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Since the height of this building was reduced from 925 feet to 850 feet, I am wondering how this will affect its shape. Will the taper still begin at the height in the original plan, and simply taper less dramatically? Or will the taper begin at a lower floor to achieve the same shape? Has anyone seen any blueprints of the building since it was modified from its original height?

any answers?

jmarkross
07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Adding on to dteagle's post, I think the only way they will make the tower taller is if they acquire another company soon. That would give them a reasonable excuse to the shareholders for going taller. Say even a smaller company, similar to the SandRidge merger-acquisition of Arena Resources.

I would also like to see it go taller.

I think an over 800-ft building--instead of a campus of 4, 20-story types--certainly has something to do with ego. And there is nothing wrong with that, it is what made this country great. What suggests the actual height is unknown is the two different projections with a childishly implausible explanation. The style of the building is not conservative--and I applaud that. Any tower over 400-ft or so is ego-driven. Not maybe in NYC or SF or anywhere where land is at an absolute premium...not at all the case in OKC. When companies have the where-with-all to finance and construct icons like this...there is a plan afoot. And I, for one, wish them all the best and Godspeed at doing everything they can to be the best energy producer they can be and proudly reinforce that with a monumental structure in their hometown. I say add a bit to it and make it over 1000-ft...it seems more than possible, and if need be--add a question to the next statewide election to see if the public would really like it! One must always remember--this is a forum of thoughts--and these are just mine, regarding this building. Nothing more--nothing less.

Does anyone think that going taller with more space would present a problem with renting out any excess space? I think it would well qualify as "desirable"...

jmarkross
07-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Your insights into China would be greatly appreciated by me--and most others on this forum as well, I suspect. Please do so often. What are your opinions of what GM is doing in China?

jmarkross
07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
If that was the case, then they wouldn't have cut floors from the tower when they decided to build the offsite data center. The goal is to stop paying rent and have employees in 5 buildings but instead have everyone in one owned location.
Also, there are no secret plans to make the building taller. One thing about Larry Nichols; he says what he means and means what he says. Unless something changes very soon and there are several new employees added to the company, this building will meet Devon's needs and it will be 50 stories @ 850'.

I think if that were to be completely true...then they have an absolutely brain-dead Public Relations Dept. and Advertising Staff. That does not seem to be the case to me. Mystery is a wonderful--and *free* method of creating press...ask Infiniti Motors...or many cosmetic companies.

jmarkross
07-27-2010, 05:20 PM
It's safe to say that we'd all like to see it go taller, but I honestly don't think that will happen. As stated before, based on only pure speculation, as no one has released any kind of details, we've all seen the work done but don't know the specifications of weight loads. Are we to assume that the columns they put into the ground are deep enough to support another 75 feet worth of building? Your guess is as good as mine. Only time will tell.

Those big old cores look to me--and I am only a lay person in construction--like they could hold up anything they need to...at least a few more floors--if they were designed for 925-ft, it seems unlikely the design plans changed this late in the game. I think 925-ft was an early idea, and look at the hub-bub it got for this project--world-wide. A few more added would be a nice kick in the butt and if I was a Dallas or Houston oil interest...I would be nervous, after all, they created this image obsession--did they not? Tall buildings did not hurt Dallas' expansion in the 60's to today...now they are overwhelmed with problems...OKC can be the new Dallas....and get all the good stuff, like maybe a nice big stadium and an NFL football team! Huge cities are unmanageable...mid-size cities are where the future is.

jmarkross
07-27-2010, 05:23 PM
And also--this kind of speculation is fun--and certainly perked up this forum, which was getting a bit "dry" lately... :)

mburlison
07-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Maybe they'll have a grassy knoll out front, and then a nice pad where the black helicopters can land...

Architect2010
07-28-2010, 04:23 AM
Umm. A responsibly built, planned, and efficient urban skyscraper is definitely less ego-tistic than anything thing else they could have built. Have you been to Chesapeake's campus? That's a big ego. Not to say that it didn't influence the creation of this tower, because it did.

Diesel54
07-28-2010, 07:42 AM
I think if that were to be completely true...then they have an absolutely brain-dead Public Relations Dept. and Advertising Staff. That does not seem to be the case to me. Mystery is a wonderful--and *free* method of creating press...ask Infiniti Motors...or many cosmetic companies.

Devon isn't Infiniti Motors. They don't sell you anything and they don't need to appear mysterious.

Devon's reason for the change in height was totally logical. I don't really understand why you question it.

soonermike
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Devon Executive Chairman Larry Nichols and others will hold a press conference later this morning to provide an update on the company’s new headquarters and highlight the latest milestone of the construction project.
After several months of work since pouring the tower’s massive foundation, construction crews have completed pouring the concrete floor of the building’s sixth level. The sixth level is significant because it is the last floor in which structural accommodations are required by the adjacent podium and rotunda.
With this level in place, Devon soon will move into a more uniform construction cycle in which about one floor will be completed per week. This rapid vertical progress will be quite noticeable, and people will see significant changes to the structure almost on a daily basis.

maestro6
07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Devon Executive Chairman Larry Nichols and others will hold a press conference later this morning to provide an update on the company’s new headquarters and highlight the latest milestone of the construction project.
After several months of work since pouring the tower’s massive foundation, construction crews have completed pouring the concrete floor of the building’s sixth level. The sixth level is significant because it is the last floor in which structural accommodations are required by the adjacent podium and rotunda.
With this level in place, Devon soon will move into a more uniform construction cycle in which about one floor will be completed per week. This rapid vertical progress will be quite noticeable, and people will see significant changes to the structure almost on a daily basis.

That change in pace will be really exciting to watch. Did we ever hear definitively what will happen on tower cam options as construction rises out of view of the current camera? Sorry if it's been clearly stated already--I don't recall hearing anything for certain.

jmarkross
07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Devon isn't Infiniti Motors. They don't sell you anything and they don't need to appear mysterious.

Devon's reason for the change in height was totally logical. I don't really understand why you question it.

I was not aware that Devon Energy was a Public Service...my apologies.

dedndcrusr
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I was not aware that Devon Energy was a Public Service...my apologies.

I think what diesel54 was getting at, it devon isn’t a company that sells directly to the general public, and therefore has no need for gimmicky marketing strategies to gain mass appeal. When was the last time you purchases natural gas for your home and got to choose which company did the drilling?

I have a felling when a (large) company purchases natural gas from devon, the bean counters have their eyes focused, like lasers, on the bottom line, and at no point is the height of the corporate office a factor in the transaction.

Diesel54
07-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I think what diesel54 was getting at, it devon isn’t a company that sells directly to the general public, and therefore has no need for gimmicky marketing strategies to gain mass appeal. When was the last time you purchases natural gas for your home and got to choose which company did the drilling?

I have a felling when a (large) company purchases natural gas from devon, the bean counters have their eyes focused, like lasers, on the bottom line, and at no point is the height of the corporate office a factor in the transaction.

That's exactly what I was going for. Devon does a little advertising to show they're a good corporate citizen but they have no need for expensive PR stunts like jmark is talking about.

SkyWestOKC
07-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I'll have some photos uploaded later today.

Pete
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Clip of Nichols' presser today, where he basically announces with the completion of the sixth floor, the structure will now add a floor every 8 days. Said they expect it to become the tallest in OKC by the spring and topped out by August 2011.

Also said almost all their employees are in the new garage, freeing up 1,500 spaces downtown for others.

http://newsok.com/devon-tower-construction/multimedia/video/292303205001

OKCisOK4me
07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Okay, I've noticed this for several days now, but since I don't go downtown and I just look at the cam, I gotta ask if anyone knows what it is. I've never seen it before but on top of the South core on the east side of it, there appears to be some kind of concrete protrusion or curtain. Does anyone know what it is I'm seeing or is it a reflection on the window?

And then I watched the presser video above and realized what it was--they're already extending the rebar up to the next level for the core expansion.

OKC@heart
07-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Awesome I will look forward to them! Thanks in advance for taking the time to take them!

ronronnie1
07-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Via Kinggober via CulWulla skyscraperpage
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/ronRonnie_2006/4832040211_1ebdab5e0b_o.jpg

I love this sketch up. The height and scale of the future Devon Tower is perfect. F*** the detractors. The future skyline will be awesome compared to before (duh I know lol.) No seriously though, I don't live in Okc area, but driving in to town at nite when it's complete - HOT.

warreng88
07-29-2010, 06:35 AM
JR article

Into the sky: Devon tower to begin rising at rapid pace
By Brianna Bailey
Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
Posted: 02:03 PM Wednesday, July 28, 2010

OKLAHOMA CITY – Workers have finished the skeleton of the sixth floor of Devon Energy’s new corporate headquarters downtown and will soon begin adding height to the structure at a rate of one floor every eight days.

Devon expects the new tower on Sheridan Avenue between Hudson and Robinson avenues to top 500 feet by spring, making it the tallest structure in the city, company Chairman Larry Nichols said at a press conference on Wednesday.

The company expects the 50-story, 1.8-million-square-foot tower to reach its full height of 850 feet in August of 2011.

Workers are expected to begin installing glass into the first three floors of the tower in September.

Nichols said he has been in communication with several companies about taking over some of the roughly 800,000 square feet of office space downtown that Devon will vacate once it moves into its new headquarters in 2012.

At least one company has expressed interest in taking over Devon’s current headquarters at 20 N. Broadway Ave., but Nichols would not reveal if it was another energy company or whether the firm was based in Oklahoma, saying any such announcement would be premature.

The project is on schedule and within its projected $750 million budget, Nichols said.

“It’s a hard time to be doing something like this in a recession, it takes a little intestinal fortitude to look into the future,” Nichols said.

One upside to building in a down market, Nichols said, is that all of the bids on the project have come in at or under budget.
The fact that there is so much new construction taking place in Oklahoma City is something the city should be proud of, said Gavin Kalley, project director for construction of the new Devon headquarters, which is a joint venture between Oklahoma City-based Flintco Constructive Solutions and Atlanta-based Holder Construction.

“Not many major metro areas can say that right now,” Kalley said.

Pete
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Here are some images from NewsOK.com:

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1058959/gallery_large?recordView=0

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1058965/gallery_large?recordView=0

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1058970/gallery_large?recordView=0

Platemaker
07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Pic taken from the east side of the building of it's ground floor. Notice there is a sort of mezzanine level.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/Photo0671.jpg

kinggober
07-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Excellent pic!

Dar405301
07-30-2010, 10:35 AM
when the tower finally "outgrows" the camera, will the cam be tilted upward to follow the tower's progress, or will it be moved to a different vantage point?

Pete
07-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Yes, the camera can be adjusted and zoomed out.

OKCDrummer77
07-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Or MadMonk can get a job with a company higher up in OK Tower.

Platemaker
07-30-2010, 03:26 PM
In case you wondered what the 'pit' next to the colcord looked like...
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/pit.jpg

and looking up... taken today.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/a.jpg

vandy
07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Just noticed on my way home from work today that I could see the building from my work parking lot at California and Shartel. Pretty cool!

Thunder
07-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Just noticed on my way home from work today that I could see the building from my work parking lot at California and Shartel. Pretty cool!

For a second there, I thought you meant the state. LOL!

UnFrSaKn
07-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Here are some of mine from Thursday.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/CRW_3572.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/CRW_3575.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/CRW_3579.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/CRW_3588.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/CRW_3593.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/CRW_3597.jpg

Chase thrown in as a bonus.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/CRW_3600.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/CRW_3601.jpg

SkyWestOKC
07-31-2010, 12:58 AM
Here's some shots. Full res and unedited. From 28JUL2010, 9am-ish. Also met Steve, good to meet you.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8042/img4660f.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6203/img4662el.jpg Picking a winner!
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2250/img4664f.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/548/img4667.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2181/img4669q.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3842/img4674km.jpg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2927/img4676g.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2774/img4677n.jpg
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8045/img4679d.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/994/img4680ct.jpg
http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/2599/img4691g.jpg

Dustin
07-31-2010, 01:39 AM
Platemaker, UnFrSaKn.. Seriously, sell those... AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You!

OUGrad05
07-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Here's some shots. Full res and unedited. From 28JUL2010, 9am-ish. Also met Steve, good to meet you.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8042/img4660f.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6203/img4662el.jpg Picking a winner!
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2250/img4664f.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/548/img4667.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2181/img4669q.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3842/img4674km.jpg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2927/img4676g.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2774/img4677n.jpg
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8045/img4679d.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/994/img4680ct.jpg
http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/2599/img4691g.jpg

terrible, your avatar is terrible

cdbthunder
07-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this but I noticed the ladder going up in the middle of the crane structure. I assume the crane operator has to climb this every day at the beginning and end of each shift so does this mean when this building reaches it's apex the poor operators will be ascending and descending that height each day. Also where do they go to the bathroom at ? I don't mean to ask trivial questions I am just concerned about the plight of the crane operator.

kinggober
07-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks skywest! Excellent photos.

OUSoonerfan3
07-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this but I noticed the ladder going up in the middle of the crane structure. I assume the crane operator has to climb this every day at the beginning and end of each shift so does this mean when this building reaches it's apex the poor operators will be ascending and descending that height each day. Also where do they go to the bathroom at ? I don't mean to ask trivial questions I am just concerned about the plight of the crane operator.

Once the tower gets some more height, construction elevators will be installed to get workers into the building. The crane operators will ride up in the elevator, then climb the rest of the way.

They take everything they need up at the beginning of their shift, and bring everything down with them at the end. Yes, EVERYTHING.

clz46
07-31-2010, 10:06 AM
What ever happened to Big Gene and Devonshire?

SkyWestOKC
07-31-2010, 11:37 AM
What ever happened to Big Gene and Devonshire?

Hopefully working too hard to post here.

jbrown84
07-31-2010, 01:02 PM

Agreed.