View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

OKCDrummer77
07-21-2010, 05:59 PM
If the floors are getting closer together, will the elevator cores continue to rise at the same rate, or will they adjust as well? Based on the little animated graphic someone posted, it looks like the forms are set to rise at the same rate each time, and adjusting the rate would actually require replacing the forms with a smaller size.

Of course, I'm just guessing here. I'm hoping one of the many knowledgeable people in this thread can shed some light on this.

jn1780
07-22-2010, 12:44 AM
If the floors are getting closer together, will the elevator cores continue to rise at the same rate, or will they adjust as well? Based on the little animated graphic someone posted, it looks like the forms are set to rise at the same rate each time, and adjusting the rate would actually require replacing the forms with a smaller size.

Of course, I'm just guessing here. I'm hoping one of the many knowledgeable people in this thread can shed some light on this.

Not sure if it matters that the forms are taller. I would think they would just pour 16 feet of concrete instead of 21 feet. If they do need smaller forms, I think the forms are made where they could just detach a five foot section.

OKCisOK4me
07-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Just a note, but the South Core is going up. I learned my lesson from last time. It's already a few feet taller than the other two.

And a question. What's up with the lip on the Level 6 floor plate? Is that some kinda connector to the roof of the 5 story north side building? Thanks!

ourulz2000
07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=OKCisOK4me;347103] 5 story north side building[QUOTE]

How much taller will the 5 story north side building be compared to the parking garage north of it? It already looks about the same height with 2 more levels to go.

OKCisOK4me
07-22-2010, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=OKCisOK4me;347103] 5 story north side building[QUOTE]

How much taller will the 5 story north side building be compared to the parking garage north of it? It already looks about the same height with 2 more levels to go.

It will be as tall as that lip I asked about, which will be equal in height to the new parking garage, which will be hidden behind the Devon Campus.

davidtime
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
NewsOK has a live feed of the downtown OKC construction (http://newsok.com/okcskyline). But you have to be a subscriber.

jmarkross
07-22-2010, 05:01 PM
NewsOK has a live feed of the downtown OKC construction (http://newsok.com/okcskyline). But you have to be a subscriber.

Why?:fighting3

Troypin
07-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Today i was downtown and i say window washers on the current devon tower and I just imagine them looking at the construction site and there saying to each other " We got to clean that many more windows!?!?!?!" they they just get really mad!! LOL

jn1780
07-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Today i was downtown and i say window washers on the current devon tower and I just imagine them looking at the construction site and there saying to each other " We got to clean that many more windows!?!?!?!" they they just get really mad!! LOL

I'm not sure who cleans windows around here, but I'm sure someone will be be happy to get the Devon tower window cleaning contract.

gen70
07-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Agreed...

ljbab728
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM

I would think it's more likely that they would say "Gee, our job is secure for years to come". LOL

ljbab728
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
It appears from looking at the construction cam that in about 2 months the upper part of the building will be out of view. Does anyone know if their are plans to adjust the camera?

jmarkross
07-23-2010, 12:02 AM
I would think it's more likely that they would say "Gee, our job is secure for years to come". LOL

Troypin always has an interesting perspective on things...:tiphat:

OKCisOK4me
07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I think I was a little premature in saying that the south core was going up yesterday :Smiley195

jmarkross
07-23-2010, 09:21 AM
I think I was a little premature in saying that the south core was going up yesterday :Smiley195

That south core is sort of an optical illusion from the perspective of the construct-o-cam, and the time of day makes it seem different as well...I like the way the building has taken on a 'corkscrew' fashion...before one level is done the next is setting up...does anyone know the current projection for the 'topping out' of the structure?

OKCisOK4me
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
That south core is sort of an optical illusion from the perspective of the construct-o-cam, and the time of day makes it seem different as well...I like the way the building has taken on a 'corkscrew' fashion...before one level is done the next is setting up...does anyone know the current projection for the 'topping out' of the structure?

One of the previous times it was going up, I explained to a couple of other posters that it was an 'optical illusion' and, that, because of the point of view it looked 'as if' it were going up. I was then given a couple of shots (pics uploaded in a post) that showed the deviation between the other two. So I know what ya mean! lol

Based on a floor every week and a half of so, I'd say... 43 to go is 64 1/2 weeks, which is a year and 3 months. October 2011 sounds good to me!! :dizzy:

OKC@heart
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I am fairly sure that the south core has in fact elevated itself to some degree. If you look at the center area between all three cores you can see the concrete of the north side of the south core and look at its top, which is in line with the exposed core wall on the NE core. Now look at the South one and see its top elevation. It is hard to determine due to the perspective effect and looking at this downward adds to it.

Either way, I am guessing this weekend is going to be filled with some serious concrete pours! It looks like they about have the Basement level area ready to go on the SW portion of the excavated area, as well as getting very close on the third level of the North podium building as well as the North third of the Tower. Bring on the Mud!!!

jmarkross
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I am fairly sure that the south core has in fact elevated itself to some degree. If you look at the center area between all three cores you can see the concrete of the north side of the south core and look at its top, which is in line with the exposed core wall on the NE core. Now look at the South one and see its top elevation. It is hard to determine due to the perspective effect and looking at this downward adds to it.

Either way, I am guessing this weekend is going to be filled with some serious concrete pours! It looks like they about have the Basement level area ready to go on the SW portion of the excavated area, as well as getting very close on the third level of the North podium building as well as the North third of the Tower. Bring on the Mud!!!

Long time to go...the colors of the core's components fool me as well...the black sections get deceptive from the angle. I guess the building will not be open until early 2013...damn!...I want to spend a night in a room in the west side of the Colcord (where I once worked) after the grand opening--just to spend the night looking up at it all lit up...it is on my "bucket list"...I would be 64 at that time...just don't want to have an URN set in the window instead...have to make some codicils, I suppose...:ohno:

HOT ROD
07-24-2010, 02:55 PM
jm, I think it would be topped off well before 2013 - maybe by next summer; so perhaps next fall or winter they might have all of the facade cladding installed. Then you could realize your dream at the Colcord. :)

OKCisOK4me
07-24-2010, 03:31 PM
jm, I think it would be topped off well before 2013 - maybe by next summer; so perhaps next fall or winter they might have all of the facade cladding installed. Then you could realize your dream at the Colcord. :)

No, I think he meant, in reference to 2013, that is when the whole project will be complete. Cause I guesstimated 10/11 for it to top out...

Watson410
07-24-2010, 07:22 PM
I thought completion was projected for 2012, That's what was originally stated. (????) It SHOULD be topped out by spring 2011.. They're about to be knocking out a floor a week.

BDK
07-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I heard late 2012 or early 2013, but can you ever really expect construction projects to finish on time...?

jmarkross
07-25-2010, 05:23 AM
I ran into another website that says the final height of the Devon Tower will be 908 feet. Does anyone know what the latest projection is? Seems like it should be a finite fact--but--then there are all sorts of variables, unknown to us.

GoThunder
07-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I ran into another website that says the final height of the Devon Tower will be 908 feet. Does anyone know what the latest projection is? Seems like it should be a finite fact--but--then there are all sorts of variables, unknown to us.

The original height was to be 925 ft but has since been changed to 850. I'm not sure where 908 came from.

West Coast
07-25-2010, 09:19 AM

And which website would that be?

BDK
07-25-2010, 10:26 AM
They knocked it down to 850.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devon_Tower#cite_note-4

It has a source link to the Oklahoman article, but you have to be a member to access the archived article.

jmarkross
07-25-2010, 11:07 AM
And which website would that be?
Here is one... http://okc.about.com/od/attractionsandevents/a/okcdevontower.htm

West Coast
07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I believe that is another website with pre-groundbreaking information. As with most major projects, plans change which is exactly what happened with the Devon Energy Tower plans. I believe this link might have more acurate information with regards to the height/floors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devon_Tower (as of today)

jmarkross
07-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I believe that is another website with pre-groundbreaking information. As with most major projects, plans change which is exactly what happened with the Devon Energy Tower plans. I believe this link might have more acurate information with regards to the height/floors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devon_Tower (as of today)

Wiki is usually pretty good...but...I see that the cost of the building has gone up $1,000,000,000 on their tally sheet...must be some *damn nice* bathroom fixtures in the executive suites planned! :ohno:

Northsider
07-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey i can see this the construction going North on 235 right before the river and the junction. also its in plain view on I-40..... almost as tall as the concord

Spartan
07-25-2010, 03:11 PM
It will be 850 feet.

jmarkross
07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
It will be 850 feet.

I am still suspicious that there are more surprises down the road for this project. For a lot of reasons. I still want to be the one who predicted this and hopefully I will win the door prize at the opening--that it WILL exceed 1,000 feet by at least 10 feet. Not an inkling I would like to defend or try to to explain...just call it a "word of knowledge" from "on high"...as the bouffant-white-haired guys who preach on TV would say! I would only ask this--of you out there who are engineers or architects--is there any REASON why this design and choice of construction would prevent this? Is it not within the realm of possibility, whether by design or mid-project change of plan? :bright_id

Nunu
07-25-2010, 07:17 PM

There were 2 height reduction announcements back-to-back, the first was that the height of the floors would be reduced and the building went from 925 to 908. Then a day or two later there was an announcement in a floor count reduction taking the height from 908 to 850.

jonno
07-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I would only ask this--of you out there who are engineers or architects--is there any REASON why this design and choice of construction would prevent this? Is it not within the realm of possibility, whether by design or mid-project change of plan? :bright_id

It would mean that the extra/secret height decision has already been made or at least accounted for. From a design perspective when you add a floor to a building you add it to the bottom not the top, since the floors at the bottom have to be able to carry the weight/loads that are above. If the columns and core have been designed and built to carry the weight and loads that will be transferred by 1000 ft. of structure above (even if the building tops out at 850 ft.) then then there's no real REASON they couldn't go higher.

jmarkross
07-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the opinion jonno. Just as a guess--and nothing more--it seems the core structure and the construction underway now is capable of my hypothetical...only the desire seems to be the controlling factor. The cost differences are not prohibitive either, I would say. Anyone else have any ideas?

maestro6
07-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Though I would love to have a 1000 foot office tower here, my guess is that it would look so out of proportion with everything around it (at least double the height of every other structure in downtown) that I'm hopeful they don't go higher than 850'. Now, if we could stick a couple of 600' or 700' foot towers in the vicinity, a supertall Devon tower might look just great. I really like the tall towers, but also like to see some sense of proportion in a downtown. I'm hopeful we'll see some additional verticality in our downtown over the next 10 years.

jmarkross
07-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Though I would love to have a 1000 foot office tower here, my guess is that it would look so out of proportion with everything around it (at least double the height of every other structure in downtown) that I'm hopeful they don't go higher than 850'. Now, if we could stick a couple of 600' or 700' foot towers in the vicinity, a supertall Devon tower might look just great. I really like the tall towers, but also like to see some sense of proportion in a downtown. I'm hopeful we'll see some additional verticality in our downtown over the next 10 years.

An unusual--and minimalist idea--but I think many said the same things about the Empire State Building in the early 1930's...if one seeks more than a couple of taller structures...then the competition must begin somewhere. Being "hopeful" of lowered expectations seems self-deprecatory to the overall concept of a dynamic city where energy innovation will most likely set the pace. Glitz brings success, and tall buildings are nothing but glitz. That is my view, anyway.

Troypin
07-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of the main podium? I've been wondering whats going on over there.

jn1780
07-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of the main podium? I've been wondering whats going on over there.

They just dug up the the ramp. So its about to be full steam ahead on the podium.

jn1780
07-26-2010, 09:59 AM
So I guess the south core forms are at the height of the next floors ceiling or is it still in the process of being lifted up?

Also, it looks like were approaching the first crane jumps pretty soon.

metro
07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah when I look at downtowns, I want to make sure they are "proportional", LOL. Who cares, and as others have said construction spurs more construction, look Devon is OKC's best shot at ever getting a supertall within our lifetime and probably our grandkids. We all can see the possibility of us probably getting a few more mid and even high rises. Let Devon build a supertall if they want, who cares about proportion really anyways, there are other cities in the same boat, it's bragging rights if nothing else. More than likely OKC will get infill over time, but we probably won't get another supertall, a large homegrown company is our best chance at a supertall.

Kerry
07-26-2010, 12:19 PM
I am still suspicious that there are more surprises down the road for this project. For a lot of reasons. I still want to be the one who predicted this and hopefully I will win the door prize at the opening--that it WILL exceed 1,000 feet by at least 10 feet. Not an inkling I would like to defend or try to to explain...just call it a "word of knowledge" from "on high"...as the bouffant-white-haired guys who preach on TV would say! I would only ask this--of you out there who are engineers or architects--is there any REASON why this design and choice of construction would prevent this? Is it not within the realm of possibility, whether by design or mid-project change of plan? :bright_id

The Chrysler Building had a 125' spire secretly built inside and was lifted into place just before the building was finished.

jmarkross
07-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah when I look at downtowns, I want to make sure they are "proportional", LOL. Who cares, and as others have said construction spurs more construction, look Devon is OKC's best shot at ever getting a supertall within our lifetime and probably our grandkids. We all can see the possibility of us probably getting a few more mid and even high rises. Let Devon build a supertall if they want, who cares about proportion really anyways, there are other cities in the same boat, it's bragging rights if nothing else. More than likely OKC will get infill over time, but we probably won't get another supertall, a large homegrown company is our best chance at a supertall.

Much like Tulsa was once the "Oil Capital of the World" (now Houston)...I think it is the natural gas industry that will drive the OKC economy in the near future. When serious moves are made into CNG-powered cars (I was in Vancouver in 1986 for Expo '86 and all the taxis were run on CNG and the cabbies swore by it--ultra clean--very low maintenance) and since Oklahoma has vast reserves of gas...I think Devon is headed that way. It IS the power source of choice for the near future and OKC could own that concentration with the companies that are already operating here. It is also time to put an end to those types who think if everyone does not jump through a hoop for a company--it will just move--or not come here. If you don't want to be here...take your pencils and GTFO! No company ever went anywhere out of the 'kindness' of their heart. OKC is a mid-sized city with a lot going for it. Now is the time. The iron is hot. :doh:

jmarkross
07-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Those of you who design things--might start thinking about some nice "pointy" thing to go atop this new building and come up with some designs...if they don't add more floors...something has to stick up real high to attach a beacon to. I still think the Chrysler Bldg. is a beaut...I love being atop the Empire State Building (observation deck--86th floor) and looking over at it while eating one of those Polish dogs they sell up there...it has a unique shape and lighting. The top of the Devon Tower just begs for some sort of top-knot...

soonerwilliam
07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
How do I get to the new updated website?

OKCisOK4me
07-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Those of you who design things--might start thinking about some nice "pointy" thing to go atop this new building and come up with some designs...if they don't add more floors...something has to stick up real high to attach a beacon to. I still think the Chrysler Bldg. is a beaut...I love being atop the Empire State Building (observation deck--86th floor) and looking over at it while eating one of those Polish dogs they sell up there...it has a unique shape and lighting. The top of the Devon Tower just begs for some sort of top-knot...

That won't happen. Unlike Manhattan, there's wide open space here in OKC and we have the antenna farm. NYC has no place so they put their transmitter towers on top of the skyscrapers. Remember the top of WTC 1 or 2? It had an array of antennas plus the mega spire.

JLCinOKC
07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I hope for some secret surprise at the end, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The curtain walls at the top could be extended or some sort of First National-esque feature would add some cohesion to the skyline. I've always thought the design of the tower was a little abrupt (for lack of a better word) at the top.

GoThunder
07-26-2010, 04:59 PM
That won't happen. Unlike Manhattan, there's wide open space here in OKC and we have the antenna farm. NYC has no place so they put their transmitter towers on top of the skyscrapers. Remember the top of WTC 1 or 2? It had an array of antennas plus the mega spire.

Plus, when the Chrysler building was being built it was competing to be the tallest building in the world. The added height of the spire put them over the edge for this title. The Devon tower doesn't need anything like this for antenna or height purposes so it won't happen. Personally I think a polished top will look better than something sticking out of the roof.

jmarkross
07-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I hope for some secret surprise at the end, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The curtain walls at the top could be extended or some sort of First National-esque feature would add some cohesion to the skyline. I've always thought the design of the tower was a little abrupt (for lack of a better word) at the top.

I agree--and--"abrupt" is a good description. This is the tallest building ever built in Oklahoma by a long shot...there will be more surprises--as there should be. The clue was the announcing of 925'--then lower it to 850'...with a really silly reason given, after all. They are playing with us, which is kind of fun and keeps focus on them--good PR of the classic sense--Creel Commission kind of intrigue. All benign, and well intentioned. Like Santa Claus delivering the goods to the kids...I think a design that is triangular offers many prospects. Pointed 'devices' like the tall buildings in Philadelphia would be attractive...something one can see at a great distance in this locale, if lighted well. How about a big windmill! (haha) :gossip:

jn1780
07-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I think adding a spire is a lame way to increase height unless its fully integrated into the building.

TaurusNYC
07-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Since the height of this building was reduced from 925 feet to 850 feet, I am wondering how this will affect its shape. Will the taper still begin at the height in the original plan, and simply taper less dramatically? Or will the taper begin at a lower floor to achieve the same shape? Has anyone seen any blueprints of the building since it was modified from its original height?

kinggober
07-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Is looks like they have have shortened the inner forms on the northeast core. Unless it's an optical illusion. I know the floors are 5 feet shorter from here on out but I assumed they would only change the outer forms.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4832869134_135954a1b2.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/4832869196_8f0407f25a.jpg

kinggober
07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
I asked Culwulla from Skyscraper city to make a progress diagram. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=690618&page=31

ive been asked to draw up a diagram of devon tower
hope this is ok.
please tell me if not.
i worked out 50 floors = 4.6m/15ft each floor?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/4832040211_1ebdab5e0b_o.jpg

dmoor82
07-26-2010, 08:38 PM
^^Very nice Kinggober!Thanx for postin that!

Spartan
07-26-2010, 08:50 PM

Interesting story about the Chrysler Bldg--it was in a height competition as most people know, but not with the Empire State Bldg, but with a bank tower that no longer exists. The architects lied on the heights in an attempt to advertise it at a lower height, and then fix the record after the competitor was built. They both did it, the bank one--but Chrysler hadn't yet added the peak, which was being assembled INSIDE the frame completely hidden. Then they pushed it through the top, and then they finally won. Most people don't know that.

jn1780
07-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Is looks like they have have shortened the inner forms on the northeast core. Unless it's an optical illusion. I know the floors are 5 feet shorter from here on out but I assumed they would only change the outer forms.

They have to make the inner forms shorter so that there is no obstruction when they pour the hallway that goes through the center of the cores.

Dustin
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM

It hasn't shortened.. They've added a floor to the tower and the area next to the tower.. It makes it look like they've shortened it.

Thundercitizen
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Guestimating that the Devon Tower would become the tallest building in OKC around this Valentine's Day...weather permitting, of course.
Should look very nice on national television during the NBA playoffs next year.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4751/devonmonthlyprogress.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/devonmonthlyprogress.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

HOT ROD
07-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Much like Tulsa was once the "Oil Capital of the World" (now Houston)...I think it is the natural gas industry that will drive the OKC economy in the near future. When serious moves are made into CNG-powered cars (I was in Vancouver in 1986 for Expo '86 and all the taxis were run on CNG and the cabbies swore by it--ultra clean--very low maintenance) and since Oklahoma has vast reserves of gas...I think Devon is headed that way. It IS the power source of choice for the near future and OKC could own that concentration with the companies that are already operating here. It is also time to put an end to those types who think if everyone does not jump through a hoop for a company--it will just move--or not come here. If you don't want to be here...take your pencils and GTFO! No company ever went anywhere out of the 'kindness' of their heart. OKC is a mid-sized city with a lot going for it. Now is the time. The iron is hot. :doh:

just a side note, all taxis and transit busses (most every city) in China use CNG. ... In fact, China is a LONG way ahead of USA when it comes to renewable energy. .....

jmarkross
07-27-2010, 02:27 AM
just a side note, all taxis and transit busses (most every city) in China use CNG. ... In fact, China is a LONG way ahead of USA when it comes to renewable energy. .....

One great advantage for China--and many other countries more recently developed--is they were not so deeply entrenched in gasoline-based transportation, they were able to jump into the fray with better visions of the future without the burden of a gigantic infrastructure dedicated and designed for 1950's-style technology--a distinct advantage. I am sure they will be marketing CNG vehicles into the USA soon--and should do very well. Detroit is still hopelessly behind on this--Ford being better positioned than GM. GM is a company which simply has *no chance* of survival--for many varied reasons. Chrysler is a boutique, the foreign car-makers located in the South are the future of the USA-auto industry.