View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Here are 3 more images from the press kit CD:

Interior Lobby
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_07_interiorlobby.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_07_interiorlobbys.jpg

Dining Court
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_08_diningcourt.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_08_diningcourts.jpg

Park at Southwest Corner
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_09_southwestcornerpark.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_09_southwestcornerparks.jpg

That should be enough for now ... hell, I haven't even started a blog article yet ... you guys get the scoop!

hipsterdoofus
08-20-2008, 11:32 AM
So we stop all growth and progress because some library employees lose their parking spaces? I'm not sure you realize how absurd this is. I may have heard it all now.

Holy crap - did you not see how I mentioned all the other people that park there? Just because someone contributes less tax dollars, does that make their tax dollars worthless? And no, I'm not saying we should stop all growth and progress - on the contrary - I think we should encourage it by not screwing over people in the park harvey and such.

Pete
08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Many, many thanks to Doug & Steve!!

We all appreciate getting this information before anyone else... It was like being there -- only better. :)

AFCM
08-20-2008, 11:35 AM
2012 will be an exciting year for Oklahoma City. An NBA team, world-class museum and heritage center, new crosstown (keep your fingers crossed), and the state's tallest skyscraper -- not a bad four year span.

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the renderings Doug! I hope you don't mind me putting them up on skyscraperpage and others.

proud2Bsooner
08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Holy crap - did you not see how I mentioned all the other people that park there? Just because someone contributes less tax dollars, does that make their tax dollars worthless? And no, I'm not saying we should stop all growth and progress - on the contrary - I think we should encourage it by not screwing over people in the park harvey and such.

Then the people that own all the other buildings should have purchased the garage. I'm guessing it is/was all just leased space anyway. Devon is buying it, so Devon gets to chose how it will be used. Plus I'm sure that all of this has been thought out, and all those that currently park in the space will be taken care of. Nichols has been as thoughtful as anyone could be, in my opinion. So why would this one little item (little, compared to everything else affected) be any different.

You're acting as if Devon is just bullying everyone around here. That's clearly not the case. This is silly.

soonerfever
08-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Still buried at #32 for me.

Yeah it will take a little bit. Emporis Senior Editors have to look at it and then another bunch take a look. It's a long process but sometime this afternoon it should be updated on the public site.

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
I love the huge park...

I guess the only connection to the Myriad Gardens will be the tunnel.
While this will be mentioned after I finish with the graphics and then do my blog article (it will all be in a single post), Larry Nichols did say that the landscape architects who are developing this aspect of the project (I think he said they are located in Portland and Seattle) are assisting the Myriad Gardens people, at Devon's expense, in developing the Myriad Gardens into what it has the potential to be.

I've not taken any time, until now, in commenting upon comments I've read here which aren't so flattering to Devon in this matter. My opinion: you guys are way out of line. If any one thing came out of hearing the whole presentation this morning, in addition to the primary focus (giving Devon workers a great place to work) it was Mr. Nichols' commitment to and focus upon Oklahoma City at large as a principal beneficiary of what Devon is trying to do with this. I was completely persuaded about that, hearing everything.

After the presentation, questions were taken from the audience, and one related to the possibility that Devon might, in the future, be sold or bought out and moved to Houston. Larry Nichols' answer was (pretty much word for word ... I was taking notes) ...

Since 197X [some year in the 1970s, perhaps when he became involved with Devon, I don't know], I never saw a company be bought and move somewhere else unless (1) it had problems, or (2) it wanted to be bought.

We have no problems, and we don't want to be bought.
The west part of this project, and the rotunda, are completely "public" people places. I'll stop there but will say more when I get my blog article done.

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the renderings Doug! I hope you don't mind me putting them up on skyscraperpage and others.
Not at all. Anyone is free to use them as they want. I'll add that the images I've shown already were "sized down" for internet purposes ... the images on the CD were much higher resolution than the versions I've stuck in my Photobucket album ... and any others that I'll be adding will all be located in the same place: DougLoudenback/devon_tower - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/)

There's a lot of stuff in the "paper" part of the press pack that is not on the CD which doesn't include everything that was shown at the meeting. I'll probably scan several of those pages, too, in addition to getting around to the photos I took at the meeting.

Pete
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Larry Nichols did say that the landscape architects who are developing this aspect of the project (I think he said they are located in Portland and Seattle) are assisting the Myriad Gardens people, at Devon's expense, in developing the Myriad Gardens into what it has the potential to be.

That is very, very encouraging.

As I've stated many times, the park is vastly underutilized. Can't wait to see what's in store!

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah it will take a little bit. Emporis Senior Editors have to look at it and then another bunch take a look. It's a long process but sometime this afternoon it should be updated on the public site.

Okay. Gotcha.

bombermwc
08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
HOLY COW ITS AWESOME! Now let's all keep our fingers crossed that something doesnt cause them to build smaller in the middle of construction. Everyone remember Leadserhip Square and OneOK's hatchet solution after the oil bust. PLEASE don't let that happen.

CrimsonOberon
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
I am speechless.

This is so much more grand than I was expecting, I can't even fully process it all.

I can't believe that a building like that will be in my city...

AFCM
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
What's exciting is this tower going up will act as a catalyst for others to build. It shows OKC is taking off with full thrust, but also adds fuel to the fire and momentum.

Kerry
08-20-2008, 12:50 PM
I wonder what Aubrey McClendon is think right now with his campus? If AC isn't thinking it I know his employees are. I would love to work in that new building. Anyone know if Devon runs SAP?

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Aubrey better have some spectacular plans for Nichols Hills Plaza if he wants to top this.

Hopefully it includes a Pinkberry (www.pinkberry.com).

AFCM
08-20-2008, 12:55 PM
I'll bet AC and his employees are happy with their campus. There's something to be said about revitalizing a whole area in the city and having the stomping grounds all to yourself.

However, I do think it would be cool to see Chesapeake and Devon compete downtown. I wish Chesapeake would HQ downtown, but they're doing some amazing things in their area, so I give it up to them just like I give it up to Devon. Both figures have done some rockin' things for OKC in the last few years.

OKCMallen
08-20-2008, 12:58 PM
I've not taken any time, until now, in commenting upon comments I've read here which aren't so flattering to Devon in this matter. My opinion: you guys are way out of line. If any one thing came out of hearing the whole presentation this morning, in addition to the primary focus (giving Devon workers a great place to work) it was Mr. Nichols' commitment to and focus upon Oklahoma City at large as a principal beneficiary of what Devon is trying to do with this. I was completely persuaded about that, hearing everything.

I agree. It's ingrates like that which makes us not deserve it. Just like when people bag on CHK to no end despite everything they've done for us.

Steve
08-20-2008, 12:58 PM
"The west side of the garage is already almost full - I don't find that very fair. If Devon needs 10 floors, they need to build 10 floors on top of the existing 5."

From what I understand, this would be incorrect when describing the west garage. But I'll check into it. Every time I've parked there at least the top floor or two floors were empty.
-Steve

OKC74
08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
While this will be mentioned after I finish with the graphics and then do my blog article (it will all be in a single post), Larry Nichols did say that the landscape architects who are developing this aspect of the project (I think he said they are located in Portland and Seattle) are assisting the Myriad Gardens people, at Devon's expense, in developing the Myriad Gardens into what it has the potential to be.

After the presentation, questions were taken from the audience, and one related to the possibility that Devon might, in the future, be sold or bought out and moved to Houston. Larry Nichols' answer was (pretty much word for word ... I was taking notes) ...

The west part of this project, and the rotunda, are completely "public" people places. I'll stop there but will say more when I get my blog article done.

Where will we be able to find your blog article?

amaesquire
08-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Aubrey better have some spectacular plans for Nichols Hills Plaza if he wants to top this.

Maybe Aubrey and Humphreys are planning on making the ferris wheel, a CHK employee attraction... That would be, uh, spectacular, right? :dizzy:

AFCM
08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Maybe Aubrey and Humphreys are planning on making the ferris wheel, a CHK employee attraction... That would be, uh, spectacular, right? :dizzy:

...or bringing in an NBA team.

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I'll add one more comment before dropping off to finish my image work ... someone in the audience asked about how it would be "lit up" (my term) at night. They darkened the room and went to the model at the north side ... this one ... I don't have a photo of the "illuminated view" but the triangles at the top sort of form a crown ... use your imagination ...

Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/devon_8-20_2008_01.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/devon_8-20_2008_01s.jpg

The triangle areas at the top were illuminated ... apparently the issue is not settled (as one would expect that it wouldn't be, given the other work that has a higher priority in getting this thing done ... the architect said that perhaps the "insets" (my word) into the more-or-less triangular shape might be illuminated as well.

The remaining images on the press kit CD are as follows (reduced for internet purposes)

Site Plan -- notice that a lot of water is present in the plan
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_10_siteplanbuildingview.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_10_siteplanbuildingviews.jpg

Cross-section view
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_11_towrcrosssection.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_11_towrcrosssections.jpg

South Elevation
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_12_southelevation.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_12_southelevations.jpg

Luke
08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Simply incredible.

circuitboard
08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Forbes covers it.... Devon plans 925-foot skyscraper in Oklahoma City - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/08/20/ap5342588.html)

Pete
08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
That floorplan view is really interesting.

Love how they centered the rotunda at the end of the road that splits the parking garages to the north and how they attached to the west garage. Also, there is a direct line from the rotunda to the Myriad Gardens.

And it seems the atrium will extend well behind the tower and rotunda.

Very, very cool!

Luke
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I'd like to see more pictures of the tower superimposed onto our skyline from different angles.

That thing is huge.

Pete
08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
From the Forbes article:

the proposed tower would be the 20th tallest building in the United States as of today. The only cities with taller buildings would be Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Houston, Philadelphia, Cleveland and Seattle.

BG918
08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd like to see more pictures of the tower superimposed onto our skyline from different angles.

That thing is huge.

I know we have some Photoshop gurus on here. I'll see what I can do later this evening. WAY taller than what I originally thought when I posted this image, although the building is similar it would be almost DOUBLE the height:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bg918/devontower.jpg

HOT ROD
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Just got everything updated on Emporis.

Sooner, I checked Emporis and it isn't updated.

We need to move Devon to #1 position and approved, at 925', 54 floors, 1.9M sq feet.

:bow:

Congratulations to Oklahoma City.

CONTINUE THE RENAISSANCE!!!!!!!!!

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
That floorplan view is really interesting.

Love how they centered the rotunda at the end of the road that splits the parking garages to the north and how they attached to the west garage. Also, there is a direct line from the rotunda to the Myriad Gardens.

And it seems the atrium will extend well behind the tower and rotunda.

Very, very cool!
I seem unable to leave this thread and actually get to the work of putting my blog article together! But, since I've not gotten to that yet, let me say that the architect who made the main presentation (Jon Pickard) made a big deal of showing what he called the "Harvey" axis and how it ran through downtown as we know it and as it will come to be with "Core to Shore" down to the Crosstown relocation, and how that was a factor in their design. The focal point of the Devon project, he said, was the Rotunda which sits squarely on that axis ... as a point of ingress and egress both north and south along that axis line.

In his presentation, he had several images displayed which showed the interrelationship and flow lines ... unfortunately, none of those images are included in the press kit ... but he was trying to show how everything in the Devon project "tied together" with that "axis" as relates to Core to Shore planning. Of course, if his Harvey "axis" remarks are correct (as they appear to be), the Devon project would be smack in the middle of that axis ... as it doubtless deserves to be.

DelCamino
08-20-2008, 01:54 PM
A quick run-down from Skyscraper page (stress 'quick' so it may not contain all thebuildings) -

Building that are taller than the proposed Devon HQ, west of the Mississippi River:

Los Angeles
US Bank Tower
1,017 ft

Houston
JP Morgan
1,000 ft

Houston
Wells Fargo
991 ft

Seattle
Columbia Center
932 ft

Oklahoma City
Devon Energy
925 ft

NOTE: The page shows a building in San Francisco u/c or announced, that would be the tallest: Transbay Terminal at 1,197 feet.

So, if all goes according to plan, and none of those tejas'uns plant a 6 foot high flag pole on top of the Bank of America in Dallas, this will be the 6th tallest building in the western US.

Very cool.

Pete
08-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks again, Doug.

Just goes to show how Nichols and the people he hired to do the planning are really focusing on downtown as a whole, both in how it is now and where it's headed with Core to Shore.

It's really unbelievable how far-reaching this project will be and the impact it will have on the whole of downtown.

Now, we need Skyline Ink and/or the visualization company based in Norman to do a new video that shows all this superimposed on the existing skyline.

And maybe someone can do a quick drawing on Google sketch-up?

Pete
08-20-2008, 01:56 PM
My one, greedy, thought is that if the "crown" could be made slightly taller, we could have the tallest building west of Chicago!

But frankly, if this gets built as shown I'll be dancing in the streets.

DelCamino
08-20-2008, 02:00 PM
...In his presentation, he had several images displayed which showed the interrelationship and flow lines ... unfortunately, none of those images are included in the press kit ... but he was trying to show how everything in the Devon project "tied together" with that "axis" as relates to Core to Shore planning. Of course, if his Harvey "axis" remarks are correct (as they appear to be), the Devon project would be smack in the middle of that axis ... as it doubtless deserves to be.

That's right, Doug, and I thought Mr. Pickard presented a nice plan for the Harvey axis/alignment.

We were very careful, when developing C2S, to acknowledge that spine, which would run north from the river, thru the new park, across the new boulevard, into the Myriad Gardens, continuing north thru this site, up to the National Memorial and Federal Building, and north to hopefully a new green space at NW 10th Street.

I think this development, with the public space rotunda situated where it is, indicates a great anchor for that idea.

amaesquire
08-20-2008, 02:03 PM

If this gets built close to what has been shown so far, I will still dance in the streets.

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 02:13 PM
We one, greedy, thought is that if the "crown" could be made slightly taller, we cold have the tallest building west of Chicago!

Still in this thread and not getting down to my "blog" business ... but ...

Someone in the audience this morning (obviously with a connected computer) commented and questioned something like the following:

This will apparently make the Devon Tower the 21st tallest building in the US ... shy by 10 feet of the 20th. Any chance of adding a few more feet to make it the 20th?

Audience laughter followed.

The architect (Jon Pickard) thought that would be cool [obviously adding $$$ to his team] and he laughed. Larry Nichols laughed, too, but in a way that said, "Nada." It was a rather engaging exchange. Nichols has made clear that "height" is not the object, and Pickard earlier echoed that sentiment. Pickard said that his charge was "to make the most beautiful building we know how" and he added, "height is fleeting [as in, someone's always going to build a taller building], but beauty is not."

Doug Dawg concurs in that assessment!

BG918
08-20-2008, 02:13 PM
What do we know about its sustainable features? LEED Certification?

And what is the next timeline for progress? We knew 8/20 we were going to see renderings, what is the next "big" date for when we can see more details regarding the design? Who will be the local architect of record? When will they select a contractor? When do they plan on breaking ground? I want some dates!! :kicking:

Luke
08-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Kinda off topic... but speaking of this "Harvey axis"...

Looking at a map directly south of the Myriad Gardens are all sorts of properties...

What happens to those in order to make this whole Core to Shore possible?

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Sooner, I checked Emporis and it isn't updated.

We need to move Devon to #1 position and approved, at 925', 54 floors, 1.9M sq feet.

He's already done it, it just has to be approved by senior editors.

Pete
08-20-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think there will be many (if any) more milestone dates.

Now the concepts have been approved by OCURA, I suspect they'll work on finalizing the financial aspects regarding the garage and land.

Then, they'll do final design and begin plans. Once those are largely completed, they will issue an RFP for a contractor -- maybe using separate entities for the garage vs. the building vs. Myriad Gardens, etc.

They have said construction would start 3Q 2009 and besides some periodic updates to OCURA and their employees, I wouldn't necessarily expect a lot more news until they break ground.

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Kinda off topic... but speaking of this "Harvey axis"...

Looking at a map directly south of the Myriad Gardens are all sorts of properties...

Eminent domain.

UnFrSaKn
Well I finally just got back from work. All I can say is WOW. This is way above any expectations I could imagine. I've had the OKC Central — All about downtown OKC (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral) website loaded on my iPhone all day and I kept refreshing the page every few minutes that I could while at work. Just..amazing. I haven't been this excited about something in a really long time. I couldn't help but show co-workers the pictures on my phone. Most of the responses were like 'hey that's pretty cool'. I'm thinking 'Nooo...it way more than just cool'. Heh. It's still sinking in, slowly. The guys at SkylineInk need to update those videos with Devon Tower. Imagine how much more impressive it will look?
Midtown Oklahoma City Animation - by Skyline Ink on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1519334?pg=embed&sec=1519334)

Pete

The city has already acquired that old postal facility. I suspect they will attempt to buy out others -- such as the car dealership -- and use eminent domain if necessary.

DelCamino
08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Yep, all that property will need to be acquired. Pete's right: the City has already purchased the old postal facility, and they will be acquiring more properties, when available and affordable, in the coming years.

Eminent Domain is probably a tool that is going to have to be employed in this area for some of the properties, but first, the City will need to officially declare/designate the area 'blighted' thereby giving OCURA authority to act.

Pete
08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Here's a video from newsok.com that show Nichols and the huge model:

NewsOK.tv (http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1743153091)

Pete
08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
but first, the area will need to be officially declared a 'blighted area'

That should be a cinch given the current state of most those properties. It's actually pretty shocking considering how close that area is to the CBD.

jstanthrnme
08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
This thing is awesome. The stats have blown me away.

I'd be interested to know the sustainable features too.

and also, with those angles how are they going to make a cross with office lights during christmas time?

FritterGirl
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
and also, with those angles how are they going to make a cross with office lights during christmas time?

I didn't know that was necessarily something Devon thing. I thought that was done by the ownership of the Chase building. Kerr-McGee did it, too.

swilki
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
This thing is awesome. The stats have blown me away.

I'd be interested to know the sustainable features too.

not to be anti-christmas/christian (which I am not btw) I hope they will do something different during the holidays to distinguish themselves from the other buildings.

JWil
08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
not to be anti-christmas/christian (which I am not btw) I hope they will do something different during the holidays to distinguish themselves from the other buildings.

And I don't.

CuatrodeMayo
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
And maybe someone can do a quick drawing on Google sketch-up?

I'm on it.

OKCMallen
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
And I don't.

And I do. It simply perpetuates our white-bread Bible Belt stereotype. But that's a different thread, if someone wants to start it. It's a celebration thread here!! :welcome5:

BG918
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't think there will be many (if any) more milestone dates.

Now the concepts have been approved by OCURA, I suspect they'll work on finalizing the financial aspects regarding the garage and land.

Then, they'll do final design and begin plans. Once those are largely completed, they will issue an RFP for a contractor -- maybe using separate entities for the garage vs. the building vs. Myriad Gardens, etc.

They have said construction would start 3Q 2009 and besides some periodic updates to OCURA and their employees, I wouldn't necessarily expect a lot more news until they break ground.

Ahh the suspense! Now I just hope this project stays on track and we see construction start next year as planned. I have confidence it will happen but I'm still worried about possible design changes and construction delays. This is OKC after all.

And maybe at Christmas they can light up the crown in red and green, that would be cool. Also on NBA game nights they could light up the crown in our new colors!! They could even do it for special occasions like Breast Cancer Awareness Day (pink), Fourth of July (red, white, blue), and when OU wins the national championship (red, white)! ;)

circuitboard
08-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah lets stop with the cross thing on our buildings.. it's getting old. Tulsa does a tree. Which is more classy... I think anyway.

Pete
08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I would normally put this in the "too much to hope for category", especially after seeing these grand plans.

But Nichols is a sharp and motivated guy and has to have a place for all his employees in the very near future.

The only way this doesn't happen is if oil goes into a major sustained free-fall, which is extremely unlikely.

ourulz2000
08-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah lets stop with the cross thing on our buildings.. it's getting old. Tulsa does a tree. Which is more classy... I think anyway.

yea, remembering what happened on the cross gets old....

Pete
08-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Let's please stay on subject here.

Leave the religious discussion to another thread.

UnFrSaKn
08-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Can't wait to start seeing this the next couple of years.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Comcast_center_feb07.jpg

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Let's please stay on subject here.

Leave the religious discussion to another thread.
Thank you.