View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

ourulz2000
08-20-2008, 09:41 AM
10 story parking garage, that's a another little skyscraper! lol

soonerguru
08-20-2008, 09:42 AM
It won't be BOK, after they got caught up in the Semron debacle. They also are exposed to bad mortgage debt. Tulsa's still trying to build a minor league baseball stadium in their downtown. Sad.

ourulz2000
08-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Don't let people say it doesn't fit in with the skyline, because most cities have a building that overwhelms everything else (i.e. nyc)

http://blog.aia.org/mt-static/plugins/Ajaxify/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/imagemanager/images/favorite_architecture_images/19_world_trade_center_aerial_lg.jpg

Luke
08-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Sounds like Devon wants to "anchor" the north end of the Core to Shore.

Quite an anchor. And hopefully other buildings will spread southward for C2S.

FritterGirl
08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Um. OUrulz2000, did you misplace your sensitivity button this morning? Not sure that was the best example to use given the obvious.

Luke - yes. Mr. Nichols has very much expressed that this, and the Gardens, will be the northern "gateway" to C2S.

Insider
08-20-2008, 09:50 AM
The building is to be started in late 2009 with an approximate 2-2.5 year construction phase. It is set to be occupied 100% by Devon by/in 2012.

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Just got everything updated on Emporis.

I don't see anything new. Do you mean on our OKC page or is there a message board?

Larry Nichols: We didn’t just wnat to build a big corporate highrise that was highly secured and wasn’t embracing the city.

Sound like Kerr-McGee to anyone?

Pete
08-20-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm very anxious to see street-level renderings that show all the other elements and how it will tie into the Gardens.

I wonder if that will come after the Devon meeting with employees later today.

jbrown84
It won't be BOK, after they got caught up in the Semron debacle. They also are exposed to bad mortgage debt. Tulsa's still trying to build a minor league baseball stadium in their downtown. Sad.

Yeah. They copy everything off of us, but they are 15 years behind on everything.

BG918
Do we know who the contractor is yet??

Pete
08-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I imagine once principal engineering is done, there will be an RFP process for contractors.

That may not happen for many months, as they have much work to do with design and plans.

westsidesooner
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I was worried the tower wasn't going to "fit-in" with our skyline. I couldn't have been more wrong, this building forms a skyline of its own!!! Can you imagine how this will look from various parts of the city...NW expwy for example. Wow!!Congratulations to Devon for a great design.:congrats:

Luke
08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
So, is this atrium going to be mall-like?

Pete
08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I think the atrium will be more of a public space with a couple of restaurants. I doubt there will be much retail other than a few small shops that will serve the employees.

I wonder if this complex will include a health club?

hipsterdoofus
08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I find this part very rude:

"Larry Nichols wants to double the size of the west City Center garage from five to 10 stories. Make it exclusively for Devon employees"

1) He does realize that its a city garage....

2) He's announcing this at the library...and all the library employees currently part there.

Saberman
08-20-2008, 10:10 AM
I was worried the tower wasn't going to "fit-in" with our skyline. I couldn't have been more wrong, this building forms a skyline of its own!!! Can you imagine how this will look from various parts of the city...NW expwy for example. Wow!!Congratulations to Devon for a great design.:congrats:

Something I was thinking about, how far away from OKC will this be seen. Should be like a beacon for OKC.

Pete
08-20-2008, 10:10 AM
I think it may be Devon is planning to just take over the west part of that garage and the rest will still be available to others.

If there is the demand, perhaps the east structure can be expanded as well.

hipsterdoofus
08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I think it may be Devon is planning to just take over the west part of that garage and the rest will still be available to others.

If there is the demand, perhaps the east structure can be expanded as well.

The west side of the garage is already almost full - I don't find that very fair. If Devon needs 10 floors, they need to build 10 floors on top of the existing 5.

Chefdavies
08-20-2008, 10:14 AM
I just saw the model hehee 48 stories. 4 yrs to build

Luke
08-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Wonder if this beacon will have lights that shoot up in the air like this...

http://photos.everywheremag.com/10182_4788_l.jpg

Insider
08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Devon is only taking over the west garage. The east garage will be left for public parking. Only the west garage can be expanded. It was originally constructed so that it could be expanded to a total of 10 floors. It can only be 10 floors due to original design. The east garage is already at its maximum height. Even if Devon does take over the west garage and use it for employees only, there will be ample space in other garages around the area as Devon employees vacate those spaces. The west side is not really almost full, the top 2 floors are barely used.

As for this being a city garage, it is no longer a city garage as the city approved the Devon proposal. In this proposal, Devon is buying the west garage from the city.

hipsterdoofus
08-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Devon is only taking over the west garage. The east garage will be left for public parking. Only the west garage can be expanded. It was originally constructed so that it could be expanded to a total of 10 floors. It can only be 10 floors due to original design. The east garage is already at its maximum height. Even if Devon does take over the west garage and use it for employees only, there will be ample space in other garages around the area as Devon employees vacate those spaces. The west side is not really almost full, the top 2 floors are barely used.

Uhh that sounds great, but again - you have to realize that the West side is almost full ... with people who helped pay for the garage with their tax dollars. Basically you are saying that its ok for other people in the area to have to walk several blocks to where devon employees USED to be, but devon employees will get to park as close as possible to their building.

Insider
08-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I see what you are saying. Are there any proposals to build other garages in the area?

hipsterdoofus
08-20-2008, 10:24 AM
I see what you are saying. Are there any proposals to build other garages in the area?

None that I know of - to me the thing that would have made more sense (but apparently Larry Nichols can just buy out the city) is for Devon to have built parking into their building as the BOA building in Tulsa...to me the parking paid for by taxpayers shouldn't be for sale unless their is going to be something built to replace it...

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I just returned home from the meeting and am working on my pics and story now ... I got lucky and sat next to Steve (and even got a press package with a CD including renderings!). My lucky day!

After the presentation by Devon, Mr. Nichols asked the Urban Renewal Board if they had any questions. L .... o ...... o ..... n...... g silence. Everyone was absolutely stunned ... the audience began laughing when the board people were speechless! It was a heck of a way to spend the morning!

I'll have some pics for you in a bit.

Pete
08-20-2008, 10:26 AM
A big part of this that is still unknown is the financial deal Devon made with OKC for the land and garage.

I imagine Nichols was more than fair here, given his civic priorities.

progressiveboy
08-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I just saw the model hehee 48 stories. 4 yrs to build

Uhhh? Where are you coming up with 48 stories? It clearly says 54 stories.

Luke
08-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Can't wait to see some higher reslolution renderings!

Especially that 8 story atrium area... I'm really interested what that's going to be. Also how it connects with the Myriad Gardens.

Pete
08-20-2008, 10:29 AM
even got a press package with a CD including renderings

Hurry, Doug, hurry!! :)

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
There will have to be a lot of shifting of parking. People near the current Devon tower will move into the space in Santa Fe that they currently occupy, and then people in First National, perhaps, will move into the newly free space, and so on until it opens up space in the County garage that is just a block north of the Library.

metro
08-20-2008, 10:37 AM

Especially that 8 story atrium area... I'm really interested what that's going to be. Also how it connects with the Myriad Gardens.

6-story atrium. 54 story building, 925 ft. tower. Not sure how people are still getting the facts misconstrued. It's on Steve's blog for more info.

proud2Bsooner
08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey there hipster!

http://www.whineandcheese.net/pics/debbie_downer.jpg

ElmoFromOK
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
watching this thing rise up out of a skyline that is so ingrained in my psyche is going to be amazing...

Luke
08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
6-story atrium. 54 story building, 925 ft. tower. Not sure how people are still getting the facts misconstrued. It's on Steve's blog for more info.

Sorry... :(

BG918
08-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Something I was thinking about, how far away from OKC will this be seen. Should be like a beacon for OKC.

You can see the tops of Oklahoma Tower and Chase Tower from Hwy. 9 as it goes over the hills just SW of Norman, about 25 miles from downtown. Downtown OKC is in the river valley so you can't see the skyline well from Moore/Norman because they are also in a river valley. So from Hwy. 9 this building will be clearly visible as you look to the north. The most dramatic angle will be coming into downtown on Broadway Extension/235.

RabidRed
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Where is a link to the pictures?

CuatrodeMayo
08-20-2008, 11:00 AM

I'm really hoping for something similar to the atrium of the Time-Warner building in NYC.

hipsterdoofus
08-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey there hipster!

http://www.whineandcheese.net/pics/debbie_downer.jpg

Sorry - but just because someone is building a 54 story building doesn't mean its all good news. Apparently Devon can buy off and do what they wish though...to me some of this isn't very.. "civic minded"

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I would hold off on all this alarm, hipster. There isn't even a full article yet. There may be a replacement city garage planned. There may be some very specific plans for the parking situation yet to be announced. It's awfully premature to get upset about a parking situation that has 4 years to get resolved.

Luke
08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm guessing hipster parks there everyday?

Kerry
08-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I use to work on Bruce Road in Norman and I could see Chase Tower from our parking lot on a clear day. However, the best view I think will be from I-40 West out near the Texas state line.:)

Doug Loudenback
08-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Hurry, Doug, hurry!! :)
Ok, I'll start with some of the renderings on the press kit CD as a start:

Rotunda Entrance
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_01_rotundaentrance.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_01_rotundaentrances.jpg

Rotunda Entrance
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_02_rotundaentrance.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_02_rotundaentrances.jpg

Inside Rotunda Looking Up
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_05_insiderotunda.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_05_insiderotundas.jpg

General Layout
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_03_generallayout.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_03_generallayouts.jpg

Skyline Model
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_04_generallayout.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_04_generallayouts.jpg

Downtown Skyline
Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_06_skyline.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/presskit_06_skylines.jpg

hipsterdoofus
08-20-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm guessing hipster parks there everyday?

Yes - but a lot of other people do as well - it may be the closest parking to Devon, but it is also closes to the Oklahoma Tower, Library, Park Harvey, County Courthouse - I realize that this may not be finalized but from Steve's comments, Nichols seems quite selfish in his comments and not considerate of others that are already using these facilities.

Luke
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Holy guacamole.

Dar405301
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
that's so cool!

Luke
08-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Imagine the views from the top... Will there be an observation deck?

SouthsideSooner
08-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Absolutely spectacular.....I'm just blown away.

soonerfever
08-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't see anything new. Do you mean on our OKC page or is there a message board?

Yeah its on OKC page. I got all of the facts put in and now when you click on Tall Buildings and then All Tall Buildings it is the first one. Before today is was burried on page 4 or 5 and was never seen. They don't really have a public message board.

Pete
08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
The rotunda with the viewing ramps is very, very similar to the Reichstadt in Berlin:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2230/2163888961_5f8bdcae9d.jpg?v=0

And the pillars that go down into the reflecting pool are similar to the Chesapeake Boathouse.

AFCM
08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Very impressive. Size matters.

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Yes - but a lot of other people do as well - it may be the closest parking to Devon, but it is also closes to the Oklahoma Tower, Library, Park Harvey, County Courthouse - I realize that this may not be finalized but from Steve's comments, Nichols seems quite selfish in his comments and not considerate of others that are already using these facilities.

Again, I'm sure it hasn't been overlooked that people actually park in that garage. There is a plan. This isn't the first time Nichols has mentioned using the garage. He's planned to buy it all along, so the city surely has already developed a plan.

OKCMallen
08-20-2008, 11:20 AM

Then someone else can build a parking garage. Or, God forbid, we WALK a little.

I can't even believe this...worried about parking in what was once a completely DEAD downtown. Don't worry; there are still plenty of dead, vacant lot areas in our once-forsaken downtown. You can park there.

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah its on OKC page. I got all of the facts put in and now when you click on Tall Buildings and then All Tall Buildings it is the first one. Before today is was burried on page 4 or 5 and was never seen. They don't really have a public message board.

Right. When I looked, it was still buried. I'll check again.

hipsterdoofus
08-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Again, I'm sure it hasn't been overlooked that people actually park in that garage. There is a plan. This isn't the first time Nichols has mentioned using the garage. He's planned to buy it all along, so the city surely has already developed a plan.

The City? Developed a plan? I wouldn't bet on it :LolLolLol - that being said - to all who think I am a downer - I do think the building is beautiful - just think that they need to make sure that in the excitement over the new building, they don't forget current and nearby residents.

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm sure something can be worked out in the next 4 years.

proud2Bsooner
Uhh that sounds great, but again - you have to realize that the West side is almost full ... with people who helped pay for the garage with their tax dollars. Basically you are saying that its ok for other people in the area to have to walk several blocks to where devon employees USED to be, but devon employees will get to park as close as possible to their building.

I would bet that Devon and their employees have paid a lot more of their tax dollars than the limited number of people that currently use the space.

I would also bet that the City does pretty well by selling the land and garage to Devon.

So we stop all growth and progress because some library employees lose their parking spaces? I'm not sure you realize how absurd this is. I may have heard it all now.

traxx
Great googaly moogaly! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Na na na na na, na! Thhppppppppt! Take that Tulsa, Dallas, Denver, and all of you others who soon will develop skyscraper envy! YoooooHoooooo!

Bully for OKC, but since we're still new to the world class city party let's dispense with all the smack talk. Let's act like we belong here or we'll be asked to leave the party before we get through the door. Have some class.

cedbled
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Doug,
Where can I get my hands on the Presskit, either in pdf, or the raw contents of the CD?

Would you mind uploading that bad boy to zshare.net or something?

I just gotta have my own copy!!!

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Right. When I looked, it was still buried. I'll check again.

Still buried at #32 for me.

Pete
08-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I love the huge park...

I guess the only connection to the Myriad Gardens will be the tunnel.