View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

Pete
09-21-2023, 06:28 AM

They keep changing but here’s a screenshot of some of them on.

Thanks I was going to post this as well. It shows how if and when Devon gets things going again, our skyline will be very colorful:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon092123a.jpg

chssooner
09-21-2023, 07:14 AM
Thanks I was going to post this as well. It shows how if and when Devon gets things going again, our skyline will be very colorful:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon092123a.jpg

Once the Bricktown Towers development gets underway, all the LED in the background will light up the tower cranes (from this angle)!

victorparknews
09-21-2023, 08:43 PM
Even just with the testing, the skyline looks beautiful! I mean at this point, keep “testing” until it’s fully functional. Haha
Also, I found a better website with the image not squeezed.

https://www.okcweather.com/station/okc_central/weathercam2.htm

Pete
09-22-2023, 05:59 AM
They were doing full video in the triangles last night.

My understanding is that this is the final test before they sign a contract. Assuming that happens, it will take about 8 months to install.

The demo was only covering about 50% of the triangles but the fully-installed version would fill them completely. Then there would be horizontal LEDs up the entire length of the 3 indentions.

So, less ability to spell things out along the sides, but much better video capabilities at the top.

Also, the new system would be much brighter.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/__u6actSTJ4

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon092223a.jpg

Tyson
09-22-2023, 10:27 AM
Amazing! Thanks for getting a video of that, Pete. What a unique addition to the already mesmerizing night skyline. And happy birthday, Leanne.

Pete
09-22-2023, 10:35 AM
Amazing! Thanks for getting a video of that, Pete. What a unique addition to the already mesmerizing night skyline. And happy birthday, Leanne.

This could turn out to be pretty amazing and better than what was there before.

Not only did the old system never fully function, but it wasn't that bright because the lighting elements were embedded in the mesh metal fins. From certain angles, the lighting was downright dim. And because the fins were mounted vertically, they had to keep them set lower otherwise they would throw a lot of light into the building. The new LEDs would all be pointed outward.

But the real step up would be the full video capabilities in the triangles.

It seems Devon is committed to moving forward with this new system, so hopefully in a year's time we'll have something pretty special.

Tyson
09-22-2023, 10:43 AM
This could turn out to be pretty amazing and better than what was there before.

Not only did the old system never fully function, but it wasn't that bright because the lighting elements were embedded in the mesh metal fins. From certain angles, the lighting was downright dim. And because the fins were mounted vertically, they had to keep them set lower otherwise they would throw a lot of light into the building. The new LEDs would all be pointed outward.

But the real step up would be the full video capabilities in the triangles.

It seems Devon is committed to moving forward with this new system, so hopefully in a year's time we'll have something pretty special.

Yeah, the dim lighting didn't quite match the magnificence of this tower especially with it being the tallest. But bright lighting with video capabilities will really put the icing on the cake and give it the look it deserves. I am very excited!

HFAA Alum
09-22-2023, 11:20 AM
Now THIS is an improvement. It's sleek, ambitious, sexy, and bold. I'm willing to bet that it might even be lit up for special events like Christmas, New Years, 4th of July, or even intermediate events like Presidential Elections and OKC Thunder playoff basketball promotions. This implementation pushes OKC into the outside bracket of the more-known big league cities.

Pete
09-22-2023, 11:22 AM
Gotta get ready for the Olympics!

Tyson
09-22-2023, 12:32 PM
Gotta get ready for the Olympics!

Devon really gets to represent our whole city to the world and what a way to do it. I'm just imagining the Olympic Rings shining up there!

SagerMichael
09-22-2023, 01:01 PM
Far cry from just a few years back we had a dark Sandridge Tower, lifeless Cotter Ranch Tower, and far from finished First National; all pitch black in the night. The lights prove downtown is alive and well. Devon can’t fix theirs soon enough

Swake
09-22-2023, 01:07 PM
The eye of Sauron has been lit!

jccouger
09-22-2023, 02:42 PM
holy crap, I have been downright brutal in my criticism of Devon's lighting & maintenance over the years essentially since the start when they scaled back full building lighting to just inlets (which all things considered was a good choice in hindsight knowing the absolute failure of the old system) and this upgraded lighting system is absolutely amazing. If Devon doesn't sign that contract it's time to riot!!!

PhiAlpha
09-22-2023, 02:48 PM
It's amazing...its almost like sometimes...if we are patient...we end up with something way nicer than we would've if the developers/building owners/companies/etc just went with the easiest or quickest fix because people were complaining...

PhiAlpha
09-22-2023, 02:48 PM
The eye of Sauron has been lit!

If they don't use that animation at some point...we absolutely need to riot.

kevin lee
09-22-2023, 03:35 PM
http://www.kfor.com/downtown-oklahoma-city/

Here's the live downtown cam for anybody who wants to see downtown lit up in video. Same view as the previous pics posted but in live stream video form.

Pete
09-22-2023, 03:38 PM
I think they may be done with the demo.

I guess we'll see tonight.

bigsmooth
09-22-2023, 03:46 PM

Here's the live downtown cam for anybody who wants to see downtown lit up in video. Same view as the previous pics posted but in live stream video form.

Thank you for the link!! I will be watching this more than I probably should.

victorparknews
09-22-2023, 10:28 PM

Not a fan of this cam because the image is squeezed. It looks nasty on air too. It makes the buildings look smaller. I hope they fix it some time.

I think this camera is better for the fact that it’s not squeezed.
https://www.okcweather.com/station/okc_central/liveview2.htm

Teo9969
09-23-2023, 09:45 PM
It's amazing...its almost like sometimes...if we are patient...we end up with something way nicer than we would've if the developers/building owners/companies/etc just went with the easiest or quickest fix because people were complaining...

Oil prices help lolol.

I do agree with the sentiment. Especially considering the building is not all that old.

I will also say that LED technology by the time the building was finished was pretty close to what we have today, but at the time it was being planned/built, was still pretty young. I think of the tower we're built today, the design and implementation would be much better than what they got originally.

EtanEiko
11-29-2023, 08:47 AM
Was curious to know if Devon ended up signing a contract for the new LED system or if they passed on it?

Pete
11-29-2023, 09:35 AM
Was curious to know if Devon ended up signing a contract for the new LED system or if they passed on it?

Don't know for certain that Devon signed the deal, but I believe that was their intention hence the demonstrations.

I'll post again if I hear any more.

Pete
12-04-2023, 06:55 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon120223a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon120223d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon120223b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon120223c.jpg

Bored UCO Student
12-30-2023, 11:59 AM
Drove through from Edmond the other night and it was really nice to see our Tower of Sauron appearing well-filled and well-lit. Gonna be really nice when they get those LEDs going.

sorry for the bump :D

citywokchinesefood
12-30-2023, 02:04 PM
Don't know for certain that Devon signed the deal, but I believe that was their intention hence the demonstrations.

I'll post again if I hear any more.

The currently installed lighting was meant to be a proof of concept. If they didn't like it they would have already started breaking down the lighting that is rigged up inside the windows. We should see additional lighting on the other faces of the building some time in the new year.

SEMIweather
01-04-2024, 09:42 PM
Probably a pipe dream to get things done this quickly, but it would be really nice to have this building lit up again by the time the Thunder host their first playoff game since 2019.

sethsrott
01-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Probably a pipe dream to get things done this quickly, but it would be really nice to have this building lit up again by the time the Thunder host their first playoff game since 2019.

I was just thinking this, having a new lighting system while being featured in the playoffs and the finals would be huge.

BG918
01-05-2024, 08:54 AM

Sad that they've had four years to get this fixed

Dustin
01-06-2024, 06:34 PM
What happened to their giant ornament? I drove through downtown a few weeks ago to see all the lights and noticed it wasn't in the front lawn. It was a great place to take photos.

therhett17
01-08-2024, 07:56 AM
What happened to their giant ornament? I drove through downtown a few weeks ago to see all the lights and noticed it wasn't in the front lawn. It was a great place to take photos.

Christmas is over, I'm sure they are removing the decorations for the season

Tyson
01-08-2024, 09:10 AM
Christmas is over, I'm sure they are removing the decorations for the season

It wasn't there before Christmas either.

Pete
02-13-2024, 07:07 AM
They were doing full video in the triangles last night.

My understanding is that this is the final test before they sign a contract. Assuming that happens, it will take about 8 months to install.

The demo was only covering about 50% of the triangles but the fully-installed version would fill them completely. Then there would be horizontal LEDs up the entire length of the 3 indentions.

So, less ability to spell things out along the sides, but much better video capabilities at the top.

Also, the new system would be much brighter.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/__u6actSTJ4

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon092223a.jpg

Building permit applications were filed yesterday for "Devon Tower Lighting Upgrade" so we should start to see some action soon.

Based on previous tests, I would expect horizontal light strips every floor up and down each of the 3 indentions. Then the 3 triangles on the top should have full video capability and unlike the demonstrations, it will completely fill them.

In addition to the multitude of problems with the original LED system, it was never very bright. That should not be a problem with the new install.

Anonymous.
02-13-2024, 07:33 AM
Excellent news. I am looking forward to it. We have still never seen the skyline with even First National + Devon lit up. So to have those two with Bancfirst, it is going to really feel complete.

_Cramer_
02-13-2024, 09:22 AM
Will really pop on those downtown shots when the Thunder are hosting the NBA playoffs then Conference Final games in April/May! :wink:

Pete
02-16-2024, 11:33 AM
So, the LEDs with video capability won't completely fill the building-top triangles, but they will still be quite large.

And the entire system will be mounted to the inside of the glass which should make maintenance infinitely easier.

The cost listed on the building permit application is $3.5 million but that typically doesn't include such things as labor, programming, etc.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon021624a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon021624b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon021624c.jpg

citywokchinesefood
02-17-2024, 02:15 PM
Pete, have you seen anything about the renovations at Vast? I was at the bar last week and they were saying the place is going to go through a complete remodel.

Pete
02-17-2024, 02:21 PM
Pete, have you seen anything about the renovations at Vast? I was at the bar last week and they were saying the place is going to go through a complete remodel.

No, I haven't seen any building permits.

Hard to believe but it's been open for over 10 years now.

EtanEiko
03-02-2024, 10:40 AM
I'm SO excited for these to be installed and lit up! Our Skyline is becoming quite illuminated! I was fortunate to catch a peak while walking around Scissor Tail Park in the summer, its going to be so awesome! Finally the lighting this gorgeous gem of a building deserves!

Pete
04-01-2024, 08:53 AM
The building permit for the LED lighting was issued last week, so we should see some action on this soon.

LRSooner
04-01-2024, 10:20 AM
The building permit for the LED lighting was issued last week, so we should see some action on this soon.

Pete, any estimates on a completion date?

Pete
04-01-2024, 10:54 AM

One they start, it should take about a year to finish.

Laramie
04-01-2024, 11:10 AM
One they start, it should take about a year to finish.

Let's hope this solves the problems with Devon's LED. DT really looks nice at night with the improvements made to the
skyscrapers lighting.

BoulderSooner
04-01-2024, 03:20 PM

8 months or so of work

Lafferty Daniel
05-08-2024, 07:03 AM
Pretty cool Thunder logo on the top of Devon last night

https://x.com/tiffanylehman92/status/1788059336217878642

Anonymous.
05-08-2024, 07:32 AM
Hey that is cool! Bancfirst also had a new animation last night after the game was over, it said OKC WINS!

EtanEiko
05-08-2024, 08:41 AM
HOLY CRAP! That is AWESOME I am so stoked to see the new light system in all its glory!

Pete
05-08-2024, 08:53 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon050824a.jpg

HOT ROD
05-09-2024, 01:50 PM
will be interesting to see if TNT/ESPN continue to ignore OKC's skyline during the games. I know we're not NY or Dallas with a huge skyline, but it'd be nice if they could broadcast current OKC skyline shots, and more than just once per game. ....

SagerMichael
05-09-2024, 02:30 PM
Every skyline shot I’ve seen during game breaks is atleast 5 years old. Full lighting on Devon, pre BancFirst renovation, dark First National. Poor angles. I could be wrong but I imagine they are re-used videos sent in by the organization. Next year when OKC gets more nationally televised games I hope there are better shots. Best angles that show density are NW 10th in midtown facing south, Western Ave bridge over I-40 facing NE, and Robinson Ave south of Dean McGee (one of the few urban street canyons we have)

CCOKC
05-09-2024, 03:17 PM
I can't believe I missed this Tuesday night. I didn't even think to look up. I will make sure to look up tonight however. Unless we lose to Dallas of course and I am hanging my head.

Urbanized
05-10-2024, 08:11 AM
Having been involved in multiple media shoots during the Thunder’s halcyon days circa ‘11 to ‘16, I can tell you that networks don’t invest in B-roll footage until the conference finals. No color pieces, either. Note that there are no TV trucks onsite for this round either. If we make it to the next round we will see a major upgrade in skyline pics and other B-roll. That’s when you also see other national media, for instance publications. Media descends on a city during the playoffs, sure, but not really until late rounds.

Pete
05-10-2024, 08:12 AM
There were briefly some lightning effects behind the logo but they didn't last long and I didn't catch them. The image is only on the one triangle that faces Paycom.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunder050924b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunder050924e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunder050924c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunder050924a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunder050924d.jpg

Urbanized
05-10-2024, 08:22 AM
^^^^^^^^^
I noticed yesterday or the day before that they are also testing light bars on the side of the building, opposite Paycom and facing away from most downtown activity. I think it was only a story or two, maybe 15-20 stories from the ground.

Laramie
05-10-2024, 09:20 AM
Pete, thanks for the awesome shots of Devon Energy Center and the downtown skyline. Thunder will need to win one in Dallas to insure more games in OKC; wouldn't be surprised to see this series go 6 or 7 games.

Richard at Remax
05-11-2024, 07:50 AM
at the night market last night there was animations of lightning coming out of the logo. it was pretty wild

scottk
05-12-2024, 08:40 AM
at the night market last night there was animations of lightning coming out of the logo. it was pretty wild

At what point does it become a distraction, tacky, eyesore more like Times Square and Las Vegas hotel 30 story video walls or am I overthinking it?

I love the subtle lighting accents on the buildings downtown that show the architecture features at night and appreciate the orange/blue lighting schemes to support the Thunder, but from your description it sounds like they have a 50 foot led wall in the top triangle with the ability to do a lot.

Pete
05-12-2024, 08:44 AM
^

Those triangles are more than 50 floors in the air.

You can see from my photos that if you are at ground level, the images are smaller than even the BancFirst LED bands.

Rover
05-12-2024, 09:10 AM
Pete, thanks for the awesome shots of Devon Energy Center and the downtown skyline. Thunder will need to win one in Dallas to insure more games in OKC; wouldn't be surprised to see this series go 6 or 7 games.

They play here Wednesday regardless.

Laramie
05-12-2024, 09:15 AM
They play here Wednesday regardless.

Winning the first game in OKC insured that a fifth game would be played in Paycom Center.

Dob Hooligan
05-12-2024, 11:26 AM
At what point does it become a distraction, tacky, eyesore more like Times Square and Las Vegas hotel 30 story video walls or am I overthinking it?

I love the subtle lighting accents on the buildings downtown that show the architecture features at night and appreciate the orange/blue lighting schemes to support the Thunder, but from your description it sounds like they have a 50 foot led wall in the top triangle with the ability to do a lot.

I hope it is big and bright. I don't find anything tacky about Times Square or Las Vegas. I think they are great examples of man's imagination and technical abilities.

Besides, we need the bright signage to help us get the FAA approval for the 1907 Tower.