View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

Steve
08-15-2009, 12:31 PM
It's 850 feet high.

lasomeday
08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Are you saying the final height is going to be 850 feet tall now? Not even 900 feet tall?

Are you sure the story is right 12 offices a floor instead of 10? Is that supposed to be 12 per area and the office is set up in the three walled areas? Meaning there will be 36 offices per floor instead of 30? 12 per floor is insanely inefficiently. They have 25 a floor currently in the Chase building.

dismayed
08-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Agree, besides it isn't like the ego's down in Texas would be able to cope. You know within a few years they would HAVE to build a slightly taller building than the Devon Tower... just because.

Steve
08-15-2009, 02:47 PM
lasomeday, that was a hypothetical, not meant to reflect actual office count per floor

bluedogok
08-15-2009, 02:59 PM
It could be for the configuration they want it averages to 12 offices per floor and open office filled with cubicles. Very few corporations do all offices anymore, most is a mix of office/cubicles. The only projects that I have done that were all office (except for admin) were smaller law firms.

jbrown84
08-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Wait. Is it 908 or 850??

ThunderB
08-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Where are you guys getting this 908 feet? I did not see that in any story.

Steve
08-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Back story: For a couple of weeks I've been chasing a tip that the Devon tower was going to have less floors than originally planned. For whatever reason, officials at Devon were unprepared to announce any changes - something I can understand - they probably didn't want a story done until they were sure of the change. Meanwhile, there was a pre-arranged presentation with the old info Thursday which I covered. And it was at that presentation where the 908 feet change appeared, reflecting earlier changes in the floor-to-floor height, but not the changes on interior space use. On Friday Devon officials agreed to share with me the newest changes.
It is 850 feet high. I am not very surprised by this change - such things happen during design. I will be surprised if we see any further major changes.
Final note: don't get hung up on the 12 offices on a floor detail - it's a hypothetical illustration of what happened.

andimthomas
08-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Ugh great.

andimthomas
08-15-2009, 08:42 PM
This might sound ungreatful and all, but I think they should just move their headquarters to Houston if they're just going to keep letting us down. You don't get the entire population excited for something that hasn't happened in awhile, then take it all back. I won't be surprised if they drop the height again before construction starts. Sooner or later- this building will just look the same as the rest of downtown OKC. Short and fat.

Thunder
08-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Now it is 850?! That's it. I don't want it anymore. The final height will be 300.

ThunderB
08-15-2009, 09:15 PM
By the time it is completed, it will be a strip mall :)

ronronnie1
08-15-2009, 09:27 PM
It's not like 4 floors suddenly made Oklahoma City's skyline better than Dallas's anyway, so I have no idea why anyone is hung up on that.

No, but OkC's skyline would have been TALLER. Besides, once they go trimming here and trimming there - before you know it, it'll end up like Leadership Square. Supposed to be an 80 story tower - but turned out 2 squat little towers you can't even see from a mile away.

I don't know. I just hope they STICK TO THIS NEW PLAN at least. I'm just not holding my breath on this.

ronronnie1
08-15-2009, 09:34 PM
WOW - I just read Steve's confirmation that the height has AGAIN been chopped down to 850 feet. Tomorrow it'll be 790 feet, and by Monday it'll be just twenty feet shy of Chase tower.

Ugh - I'm over it. I don't give a sh!t if they build it or not.

jbrown84
08-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Now it is 850?! That's it. I don't want it anymore. The final height will be 300.

This might sound ungreatful and all, but I think they should just move their headquarters to Houston if they're just going to keep letting us down. You don't get the entire population excited for something that hasn't happened in awhile, then take it all back. I won't be surprised if they drop the height again before construction starts. Sooner or later- this building will just look the same as the rest of downtown OKC. Short and fat.

WOW. You both are being completely ridiculous.

Richard at Remax
08-15-2009, 10:08 PM
wtf is the matter with you people? if it was originally going to be 850ft then you guys would be jumping through circles. They don't have to build anything at all and last time I checked I am pretty sure they are paying for it and not you so if they want to chop off a few floors then fine by me. Get over yourselves.

SWOKC 4 me
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
wtf is the matter with you people? if it was originally going to be 850ft then you guys would be jumping through circles. They don't have to build anything at all and last time I checked I am pretty sure they are paying for it and not you so if they want to chop off a few floors then fine by me. Get over yourselves.

I agree....and what this tower will mean for OKC can't even be measured in feet in my opinion.

metro
08-15-2009, 10:16 PM

WOW - I just read Steve's confirmation that the height has AGAIN been chopped down to 850 feet. Tomorrow it'll be 790 feet, and by Monday it'll be just twenty feet shy of Chase tower.

As jbrown said, you guys are ridiculous and don't live in reality. Yeah it's a little bummer but no big deal in the grand scheme of things. You're living in a fantasy land, I'm glad you all aren't involved with city planning. You do realize this will still be ridiculously tall, and we haven't had a major tower built in almost 30 years? Furthermore Devon is a major player that employs thousands of well paid employees locally. This has a trickle down effect in every category of our local economy. Some people just don't get it.

hoya
08-16-2009, 06:28 AM

This might sound like I'm an a-hole, but I think you need a diaper change.

Is it disappointing? Sure, but it's still a major addition to the skyline.

kevinpate
08-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Out of curiosity, if for any reason they decided it made sense for a few additional floors of folks to be located elsewhere, and the tower actually dropped to say even 680, wouldn't that still be the biggest honkin single company development erected in OKC, perhaps Oklahoma, in the last couple of decades?

I don't track building heights, but it seems to me this project would still be huge news for the metro if it were a series of, oh, I dunno, say 3-5 story cookie cutter buildings arranged all neat and tidy together (not to draw any comparisons with another local group or anything.)

Any way you stack it, slice it, dice it or mold it, it's a heap big pile of glass and steel that isn't there today. How can that be bad?

betts
08-16-2009, 08:00 AM
I don't even think this is disappointing. When I'm in a city, I evaluate how a tower looks, not how tall it is. If I like the architecture, I'm impressed with the building. It being all about feet reminds me that some people place too much emphasis on measurements, and not enough on the total package. It's an impressive building regardless, and will look quite a bit better in our skyline than what's currently occupying that space. We're not putting up the money for this building. If it were taxpayer dollars, then we might have more right to complain. Those who want a thousand foot building would be given permission to build one here, I'm quite sure, so perhaps they should put their money where their mouth is.

Rover
08-16-2009, 09:01 AM
It is obvious that the posters who are "disappointed" or think that Devon is "letting them down" have exactly NO experience in design and construction. The process is always fluid, sometimes well into the building construction. Design-build and design-assist always creates change. Designers are always making tweeks. I just finished working a 72 story building that was making design changes on top 10 floors even AFTER much of the equipment for those floors were ordered. To change and perfect a building is just smart.

Fortunately Devon's management understands building to needs, not to satisfy certain public's desire to whip it out and measure who's is bigger. Devon is smart, the designers are first class and truly world leading. This will be one of the top 25 towers in the world this decade and all some people want to measure it by is feet high. That is simplistic, juvenile and ignorant of how business and building design/construction works in the real world.

I am involved in worldwide construction and can tell you, this tower is getting notice and appreciation for OKC. It is better than most on here know.

Doug Loudenback
08-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I am involved in worldwide construction and can tell you, this tower is getting notice and appreciation for OKC. It is better than most on here know.
I'd be interested if you would elaborate and be more specific about that, Rover. Probably, we all would like to hear such anecdotal information.

OUGrad05
08-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Get real, :rolleyes:

OUGrad05
08-16-2009, 10:22 AM
I can't believe so many are ****ting bricks because the building is changing...this is the first major PRIVATE investment in downtown OKC in decades. Even if its 500 or 450 thats still better than stagnant investment downtown.

And frankly anything over 700 feet in a city the size of OKC with the sprawl OKC has will be great. In addition 925 feet while impressive was going to make our skyline look awkward whether or not anyone chooses to admit it or not, its the truth. I hope they dont chop much more off because 800+ is still awesome, but really anything between 500 and 700 would probably fit better with the skyline given its current status.

If it is built and built at 850 feet it will be iconic and stand as the tallest in OKC and probably the state for 15 or 20 years or MORE.

Anyone saying Devon should move should promptly shoot themselves in the face. Devon is a great company with great employees that cares greatly about our state and its people. Also keep in mind the smaller this building is today the sooner they will outgrow it and may be forced to build a second tower of some sort downtown within 15 years if they go too small now. Everything has trade offs...925 ft or 850 feet it doesn't matter, its going to be iconic.

Rover
08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
As HVAC supplier to most of the largest and best contractors in the US (and worldwide), I see plans for most of the signature buildings in the US. This should be the most impressive one begun this year. Many contractors wanted this project and would love to have it on their project list. I attend contractors meetings where this project has been talked about so I know there is great awareness.

Pickard Chilton is known worldwide and considered a leading design firm. They are not yet what Skidmore Owens Merrill is, but they are getting closer to having that kind of reputation. Contractors want to work on those kinds of projects for those kind of design firms.

It is no accident that Pickard Chilton features the Devon project on their website even though it isn't yet constructed. They consider it a signature project. For OKC to have this project this year is like winning the architecture lottery. We shouldn't take it for granted.

Aside from the attention it is getting in the industry for its scope and style, it is one of the major projects now getting started. There aren't many in the WORLD right now, so this is a coup. Whether it is 50 or 54 floors doesn't matter. 1.8 million sq ft. is big by anyone's standards anywhere. I have worked on projects around the world, in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Cairo, London, Berlin, Hong-Kong, Beijing, Paris, NY City, Las Vegas, LA, Seattle, etc., etc. This would be considered a signature piece in any of them and very large, to boot.

So when I say it is getting noticed, trust me, it is. We should be proud and happy and say thanks to Devon for committing to build such a damn fine building in our community.

architect5311
08-16-2009, 11:35 AM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/DEVONTOWER-Redux.jpg

OUGrad05
08-16-2009, 12:12 PM
As HVAC supplier to most of the largest and best contractors in the US (and worldwide), I see plans for most of the signature buildings in the US. This should be the most impressive one begun this year. Many contractors wanted this project and would love to have it on their project list. I attend contractors meetings where this project has been talked about so I know there is great awareness.

Pickard Chilton is known worldwide and considered a leading design firm. They are not yet what Skidmore Owens Merrill is, but they are getting closer to having that kind of reputation. Contractors want to work on those kinds of projects for those kind of design firms.

It is no accident that Pickard Chilton features the Devon project on their website even though it isn't yet constructed. They consider it a signature project. For OKC to have this project this year is like winning the architecture lottery. We shouldn't take it for granted.

Aside from the attention it is getting in the industry for its scope and style, it is one of the major projects now getting started. There aren't many in the WORLD right now, so this is a coup. Whether it is 50 or 54 floors doesn't matter. 1.8 million sq ft. is big by anyone's standards anywhere. I have worked on projects around the world, in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Cairo, London, Berlin, Hong-Kong, Beijing, Paris, NY City, Las Vegas, LA, Seattle, etc., etc. This would be considered a signature piece in any of them and very large, to boot.

So when I say it is getting noticed, trust me, it is. We should be proud and happy and say thanks to Devon for committing to build such a damn fine building in our community.AMEN!

Thank you for posting that :)

Urbanized
08-16-2009, 12:17 PM
THE HORROR!! :wink:

That really -- literally -- puts things into perspective, doesn't it? Or at least it should...

architect5311
08-16-2009, 01:01 PM
It's still going to be awesome...............

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/1-southelevation.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/2--northelevation.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/3-devonview1.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/4-devonview2.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/5-devonview3.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/6-devonview4.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/7-devonview5.jpg

soonerguru
08-16-2009, 01:24 PM
As a lifelong Sooner fan, I can regrettably say that some of you on here remind me of the worst of our fans.

Urbanized
08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
It's still going to be awesome...............

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/6-devonview4.jpg

This viewing angle, roughly what you see coming down Harrison from the Health Sciences Center, has always been my favorite view of downtown. The tower really seems to be tailor-made for this angle. It nestles perfectly into the skyline, and doesn't look to be out of scale in the least.

MadMonk
08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
The only thing I don't care for is that it will be blocking my great view of the Myriad Gardens. :(

Other than that I'm pretty excited about it. I was thinking about setting up a camera to take two or three pictures per day of the contruction site. They would be very cool to look back on with my grandkids. :)

Steve
08-16-2009, 03:07 PM
architect5311, what you've created clears the air quite a bit. I'd like to post it at OKC Central (http://www.okccentral.com). Can I have permission to do so? Also, I'd love to credit you by name since you put the work into it (I don't have to, however).
-Steve

Doug Loudenback
08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Opps. Double post.

Doug Loudenback
08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Yep. Architect5311 did a heck of a job. Way to go! :congrats::congrats::congrats:

jbrown84
08-16-2009, 03:38 PM
If it were taxpayer dollars, then we might have more right to complain.

Exactly. That's how some of you sound. Devon doesn't OWE us anything. We should be very thankful that they are still IN Oklahoma City, much less building a tower that is the envy of the region.

mugofbeer
08-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Previously, I had shared my thoughts that the original height of the tower would make it stick out like being nearly twice the height of the Chase (old LIbery Bank) tower. Personally, I think the reduction in height will make it more aesthetically pleasing with the existing buildings. Way to go Devon! Thank you for the investment!

Rover
08-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Even with taxpayer money this would be incredible. Anyone complaining about this project design would be totally unrealistic and uninformed. That would be like someone giving you a Ferrari and complaining it wasn't a Lamborghini. Having 50 instead of 54 floors is like saying it is less because the Ferrari has a 6 CD change r vs. 8. Who the heck would possibly care. Complaining about that shows the complainer knows nothing about design or performance but is only looking for something to whine about.

jbrown84
08-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Well said Rover.

Steve
08-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Here's what makes the criticism even more loony: argue all you want about why the four floors were trimmed. But good grief people, this company could have easily requested, and been granted, use of all of the tax increment financing spin-off from this project for buying the garage and expanding it and for its own immediate infrastructure and campus needs. Instead, Nichols asked for nothing for his company from the TIF, and instead asked to have the duration of the assessments extended and used for improving the Myriad Gardens and streets and parks throughout downtown. The loss of four floors is enough for some of you to get mad at Devon and suggest they should move to Houston? Really? Are you really saying that? I'd be curious why anyone on this board should take those of you with this stance seriously from here on out...

Pete
08-16-2009, 08:36 PM
A couple knee-jerk comments don't warrant as much attention being given on this thread IMO.

BTW, isn't some of the TIF money going for the park Devon is incorporating into this complex?

Steve
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Pete, you're right. As for the park, I'm going on memory but I don't think so. If it is, it's a fractional amount of the $115 million.

mugofbeer
08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Here's what makes the criticism even more loony: argue all you want about why the four floors were trimmed. But good grief people, this company could have easily requested, and been granted, use of all of the tax increment financing spin-off from this project for buying the garage and expanding it and for its own immediate infrastructure and campus needs. Instead, Nichols asked for nothing for his company from the TIF, and instead asked to have the duration of the assessments extended and used for improving the Myriad Gardens and streets and parks throughout downtown. The loss of four floors is enough for some of you to get mad at Devon and suggest they should move to Houston? Really? Are you really saying that? I'd be curious why anyone on this board should take those of you with this stance seriously from here on out...

Steve, I think the one who was saying Devon should move to Houston was being facetious - subtly ridiculing the other couple who seemed serious. Still, there are those who won't believe the building will be built until it is built - - then they will be talking about how it will sit empty when the next energy bust comes along. They really don't deserve attention.

Steve
08-16-2009, 09:18 PM
This is what I was responding to Pete and Mug:

Originally Posted by andimthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronronnie1

mugofbeer
08-16-2009, 09:25 PM
This is what I was responding to Pete and Mug:

Originally Posted by andimthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronronnie1

Well, OK.....I try to be a glass half-full person and give people the benefit of the doubt but OK. I'll give you that one.....anyway, ignore them. They didn't get their desert today or something.

Steve
08-16-2009, 09:28 PM
You and Pete are right, Mug.
After a tough day with my four-year-old and doing everything I could to smile and remain patient, maybe, just maybe, I took these guys too seriously.
:053:

mugofbeer
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
You and Pete are right, Mug.
After a tough day with my four-year-old and doing everything I could to smile and remain patient, maybe, just maybe, I took these guys too seriously.
:053:

Its why I don't post on the DOK site. I bet your four-year-old and my eight-year-old could hold better arguements than some very adult people do.

Steve
08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
If there's to be a fuse lit, just know my four-year-old has some pretty fierce feelings about Word Girl and Hulk.

blangtang
08-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Expanding the glut of Class A Office space, or not?

bombermwc
08-17-2009, 07:28 AM
I don't care if it's 900 or 700 or whatever. As long as someone builds a new tower downtown, I'm still gonna piss my pants in excitement. This thing is still going to be massive no matter what, so "quit ya bitchin'".

It is interesting to note that a few of the floors were removed because they are adding onto their facility on Meridian and Newcastle Road just off Airport Rd. I'm not entirely sure what they do there, but it looks like warehouse space. So I'm not really sure how that space was supposedly included in the first design. But anyway, do we really neeeed to be "taller than Dallas"? No. Would it have meant anything? No. Would anyone think any more/less of OKC if the height of the building changed by 100 feet? No.

okcpulse
08-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I don't care if it's 900 or 700 or whatever. As long as someone builds a new tower downtown, I'm still gonna piss my pants in excitement. This thing is still going to be massive no matter what, so "quit ya bitchin'".

It is interesting to note that a few of the floors were removed because they are adding onto their facility on Meridian and Newcastle Road just off Airport Rd. I'm not entirely sure what they do there, but it looks like warehouse space. So I'm not really sure how that space was supposedly included in the first design. But anyway, do we really neeeed to be "taller than Dallas"? No. Would it have meant anything? No. Would anyone think any more/less of OKC if the height of the building changed by 100 feet? No.

Their data center will be located at that site for disaster recovery purposes. Moving the DC out of the tower was a damn smart move.

jbrown84
08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Pete, you're right. As for the park, I'm going on memory but I don't think so. If it is, it's a fractional amount of the $115 million.

And it's not as if the park area on the north side of Sheridan won't be completely available to the public. It will most assuredly be a regular lunch spot for all of downtown's workers.

Expanding the glut of Class A Office space, or not?

Not. The "glut" is class B and C. There is hardly any contiguous Class A space available downtown.

Rover
08-17-2009, 09:06 PM
One of OKC's problems has been the lack of contiguous large spaces of class A office space. It is hard to get companies to move into downtown when they would have to split up their offices into 2 or more locations. I think this will actually result in move-ins.

Easy180
08-17-2009, 09:13 PM
MidFirst may be a good bet to move downtown...Big push into the AZ market and I've heard they are busting at the seams in their current buildings

bombermwc
08-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Their data center will be located at that site for disaster recovery purposes. Moving the DC out of the tower was a damn smart move.

OOOOOHHHHHH. Definitely a smart move there. The downtown telecomm infrastructure is far from the best. A lot of the phone lines are still copper!!!! Our office is right up the road, and Devon will have a better power rate at the Meridian office. We're all on the same grid as the airport, so power is very stable.

Not to be dramatic or morbid, but should the tower ever become a target, the data will still be safe. No company can survive if it doesnt have a good system in place to be able to recover it's data in a DR situation.

OKC74
08-23-2009, 09:43 PM
54 or 50 stories...I'm still SO super excited about this building...and all it will do for OKC!! :)

RedDirt717
08-24-2009, 12:06 AM
There are still only going to be 8 states in the entire country with taller buildings.

OKCRT
08-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Lets hope that a few more skyscrapers follow Devon downtown in the not so distant future. I think that a 40-50 story apartment building downtown would be a big hit. This would add many more people living downtown and spur more growth.

OKCisOK4me
08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Lets hope that a few more skyscrapers follow Devon downtown in the not so distant future. I think that a 40-50 story apartment building downtown would be a big hit. This would add many more people living downtown and spur more growth.

As long as each unit doesn't go for a quarter million...