View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

MikeLucky
04-26-2013, 09:19 AM
I seriously doubt each LED is addressable. The columns are too far apart for that to even be useful.

Lol... either you didn't watch the video posted above, or you DID and just decided not to believe the guy that actually runs the lighting system for Devon tower.

And, if you think it's not useful then just go ahead and keep your eye on the tower... because you will most likely be amazed at what they can and hopefully will do with this system.

Just for reference, the HD video screens in stadiums are typically LEDs spaced 16-18mm apart. So, while the horizontal spacing on the tower's lights are significant, don't discount what they can do with it. Understandably, fullscale video wouldn't be optimal. But, they will be able to do some very intricate effects with this system.

Just the facts
04-26-2013, 10:02 AM
I guess I stand corrected - the guy running the system specifically said each LED was addressable and even said it is best viewed from the side which would address the issue of how far apart the columns are.

Pete
04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
I guess I stand corrected - the guy running the system specifically said each LED was addressable and even said it is best viewed from the side which would address the issue of how far apart the columns are.

I know that's what he said in the video but I've very sure he misspoke.

I've heard from the company that manufactured and installed the fixtures that they can only be controlled as a unit, not by individual light.

This was a cost-saving decision by Devon. They had also considered putting LED's in ALL the fins, not just those in the indentions and crown. That was nixed early on due to the cost.

There are still tons of capabilities we have yet to see.

jccouger
04-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Can you imagine the headache that would have ensued had they decided to place LEDs in all the fins? Initially at least 1/10 had to have been broken, and I imagine that rate would've been constant over the entire structure. I also doubt each LED is programmable, it seems each Fin can change colors independently but not each little LED bulb.

MikeLucky
04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
I know that's what he said in the video but I've very sure he misspoke.

I've heard from the company that manufactured and installed the fixtures that they can only be controlled as a unit, not by individual light.

This was a cost-saving decision by Devon. They had also considered putting LED's in ALL the fins, not just those in the indentions and crown. That was nixed early on due to the cost.

There are still tons of capabilities we have yet to see.

boooooooo.... lol

I don't know who to believe now. Pete's never lied to me before, so I guess I'll have to defer to him on this.

for now.... :Smiley122

MikeLucky
04-26-2013, 02:31 PM
I said I wasn't 100% sure. Also, the rest of the story... I was sitting at the Land Run Memorial. So that's far enough to not have a close enough views to be able to tell. It sure looked like it as a true gradient though...

Sid, you've never lied to me either... but, you spoke with WAY TOO MANY caveats for me to get on board... sorry... LOL

bchris02
04-28-2013, 12:29 AM
It's dark again tonight. The Skydance Bridge is also dark. Anybody know whats up with that?

Mississippi Blues
04-28-2013, 12:43 AM
It's dark again tonight. The Skydance Bridge is also dark. Anybody know whats up with that?

No idea but I noticed it as well. It felt really dark driving on 1-40 WB. Made me think of NW Oklahoma up around Woodward.

soonerguru
04-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Well we wouldn't want to show our new sex appeal to the tens of thousands of out of town visitors we have in OKC now would we?

kevinpate
04-28-2013, 02:24 AM
Friday night storms muck something up?

catch22
04-28-2013, 04:18 AM
Seems like it's been out the past several nights. Both of the,m.

bchris02
04-28-2013, 12:58 PM

It's been out more often than not lately. I know the Skydance Bridge is synced with the crown of the Devon Tower so that would probably be why when one is dark the other is as well. I wonder how long its going to be before they are working again.

adaniel
04-28-2013, 05:33 PM

It's been out more often than not lately. I know the Skydance Bridge is synced with the crown of the Devon Tower so that would probably be why when one is dark the other is as well. I wonder how long its going to be before they are working again.

This is not correct.

As I stated above, I can see the tower very clearly from my living room and bedroom. They have been testing lights nearly daily for the past two weeks. True, they rarely if ever leave them on all night, and considering this technology they are using is so new, it may not be the best idea to leave them on to the point of burnout, at least not until everything is complete. But they almost always run partially through the night.

I don't believe they were run on Friday, but they were on shortly for Saturday. I can't speak for the Skydance bridge.

Bullbear
05-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Devon Looked great when walking out of the Arena Last night.

UnFrSaKn
05-09-2013, 12:26 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/922695_10151466859858731_1142770265_n.jpg

Copper Ross

http://www.goivm.com/

Cooper_GOIVM
05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2952/gothunder.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/gothunder.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

UnFrSaKn
05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Awesome job Cooper as always.

Cooper_GOIVM
05-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Awesome job Cooper as always.

Thanks, brother.

Teo9969
05-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks, brother.

OMG...just ridiculous shots. Love the way you did the Copyrights on the streets...very slick!

HangryHippo
05-09-2013, 03:26 PM
These are badass. Well done. And I, too, dig the copyrights on the streets.

bchris02
05-15-2013, 08:34 PM
The LEDs and the crown have been dark every night this week thus far. Being lit is starting to become the exception rather than the rule.

HangryHippo
05-15-2013, 08:53 PM
The LEDs and the crown have been dark every night this week thus far. Being lit is starting to become the exception rather than the rule.

This is absolutely incorrect. I watched them flash go thunder down the sides and the rain in the crown for over 20 minutes last night.

metro
05-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Yep

metro
05-16-2013, 08:06 AM
This is absolutely incorrect. I watched them flash go thunder down the sides and the rain in the crown for over 20 minutes last night.

Just because they had them lit for a playoff game, doesn't mean they aren't off more than they are on. I live DT so I see them nightly.

HangryHippo
05-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Just because they had them lit for a playoff game, doesn't mean they aren't off more than they are on. I live DT so I see them nightly.

What are you talking about? I was responding to bchris02's post saying that they'd been dark every night this week, which wasn't true. The lights were on Tuesday night when there was no playoff game. You might want to have your facts straight next time.

Dustin
05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8383/8628631963_3e6dd11400_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/17607664@N03/8628631963/)
Devon Tower (http://www.flickr.com/photos/17607664@N03/8628631963/) by Tres Senderos Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/17607664@N03/), on Flickr

Dustin
05-17-2013, 06:13 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8628630447_1cb3b04cff_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/17607664@N03/8628630447/)
Portal to Devon Tower (http://www.flickr.com/photos/17607664@N03/8628630447/) by Tres Senderos Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/17607664@N03/), on Flickr

Teo9969
05-17-2013, 10:06 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8628630447_1cb3b04cff_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/17607664@N03/8628630447/)
Portal to Devon Tower (http://www.flickr.com/photos/17607664@N03/8628630447/) by Tres Senderos Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/17607664@N03/), on Flickr

One of the coolest architectural standouts in all of Oklahoma City

Dustin
06-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Cool video of the May 31st storm coming through downtown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1Xea8Kyfo

Pete
06-04-2013, 10:04 AM
This went out today via the Devon intranet.

Interesting that they go out of their way to shoot down rumors about new construction. I had heard from multiple inside sources that a new building was being openly discussed in the management circles.

Also, they just spent $1.5 million to build out a medical clinic on the 2nd floor of Corporate Tower and have more space leased there as well.

Current space deemed adequate
Parking garage, additional building-space rumors laid to rest
Monday, June 3, 2013

Devon Tower is one of Oklahoma City’s most visible landmarks and is a frequent topic of conversation. It can be seen for miles in all directions and is a constant source of questions from visitors and Devon employees.

Because of its prominence, rumors tend to swell. To help dispel those rumors and provide employees with the most current information, a few frequently asked questions are addressed below.

Tower meets current needs

Devon is not building a new tower in Oklahoma City — or anywhere else.

“The rumor mill keeps turning locally about Devon constructing an additional tower downtown, but we have no current need or plans to do so,” said Alan Marcum, executive vice president, Administrative Services.

Though IT and other groups have been reorganized to open seating space, Devon Tower has enough room to meet current needs, said Shannon Fetz, director of Facilities and Real Estate.

“Through our current planning we have enough space to accommodate Devon’s short-term needs when it comes to space,” Fetz said. “We are constantly reviewing our existing space and current standards for office space.”

In addition, Devon has leased space in Corporate Tower that is being used for special projects and could be used for transition space.

Parking garage adequate

The parking garage is another aspect of employee questions. With 3,000 parking spots, availability won’t be an issue for some time.

Since construction on Hudson has been complete, employees can exit the west side of the parking garage heading north or south. The City of Oklahoma City plans to install a street light just south of Park Avenue on Hudson to help alleviate traffic concerns for those crossing two lanes of traffic to turn south onto Hudson.

“We’re working with the city to install the street light on Hudson, providing them as much detail as possible, down to timing the red light to ensure the most safety for our employees who exit the west side of the garage,” Fetz said.

Fetz said the current two-way direction of the garage has been successful. Once the street light is installed, the flow of the parking garage will be re-evaluated. Parking spaces also will be restriped with reflective paint.

The garage was updated last year with white ceilings and new lighting to make the space brighter and to improve safety.

Lighting, window washing work ahead

Employees also have commented about the tower lighting that appears sporadic or unlit in some areas.

“The timing has to be just right for us to complete the LED light strips,” Fetz said. “For our contractors to work on the outside of the building the wind must be below 25 mph, and that rarely happens in Oklahoma.”

The same is true for window washing. According to Fetz, the rig used for window washing is the same used for making repairs to the exterior of the building, and until that list of items is complete, the building windows are not as clean today as they will be in the future.

“When we complete all of the work outside the building that is currently using the rig, we will clean the building twice a year,” said Fetz.

Fetz said that though the building itself is finished, there is much work left to do.

“We’ve built an extraordinary facility for all of Oklahoma City to enjoy, and we should be proud, but there will always be work to do, repairs to be made. It’s a never-ending process.”

Anonymous.
06-04-2013, 10:08 AM
They sure made the LEDs a priority for the cut-short playoffs...

Pete
06-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Here is the plan for the Devon Medical Clinic on the 2nd floor of Corporate Tower.

Note that there are full locker rooms and what looks to be additional workout space to complement The Well health center located on the east side of their parking garage:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devonclinic.jpg

HangryHippo
06-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Well, there goes one mystery tower. I wonder what this means for the Preftakes block? Perhaps he really is just squatting on that block.

Pete
06-04-2013, 10:18 AM
I had heard from several reliable inside sources that Devon management had been openly discussing a new tower. This was about six months ago.

I suspect that has been placed on hold. If you read this carefully, it merely says "we have no current plans".

They are, however, having to lease space outside their complex to accommodate all their needs... And this after only opening their new HQ last fall.

G.Walker
06-04-2013, 11:31 AM
With that being said:

Devon, Boeing earn state incentives for plans to bring up to 1,817 jobs to state | News OK (http://newsok.com/devon-boeing-earn-state-incentives-for-plans-to-bring-up-to-1817-jobs-to-state/article/3841648)

metro
06-04-2013, 11:36 AM
I think this is more a PR move than anything. Notice how they say "current" or "short-term" a lot. They know the other tower from Continental or the Midstream Partnership, and they don't want to steal the thunder from that more than likely, as they are probably not looking for an announcement on a 2nd Devon facility in at least 6 months. That's my bet.

Pete
06-04-2013, 11:40 AM
The state has cleared Devon to collect up to $66.8 million in tax rebates to create up to 989 new jobs over the next 10 years.

Currently, Devon has about 2,500 employees in OKC so this would be a lot of growth for them.

Just the facts
06-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I think this is more a PR move than anything. Notice how they say "current" or "short-term" a lot. They know the other tower from Continental or the Midstream Partnership, and they don't want to steal the thunder from that more than likely, as they are probably not looking for an announcement on a 2nd Devon facility in at least 6 months. That's my bet.

In addition, Devon has leased space in Corporate Tower that is being used for special projects and could be used for transition space.

Transition to what and from what?

metro
06-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Exactly my points. Devon is a LONG-TERM thinking company. Dodging rumors with short term responses doesn't quash long-term needs and rumors of additional space, even if it is just for vendors and/or medical space.

Pete
06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
This is probably aimed at shareholders as well, particularly in light of the recent Chesapeake and SandRidge developments where there have been total revolts due to overspending and a lot of light shined on real estate development.

I'm sure they want to assure everyone (including employees) that they are not that type of company, they are happy with the fantastic facilities they have built and thus will hold off any new construction for a while.

But ironically, they ARE spending money, just on build-outs and rent on buildings they don't own. They probably don't want to face any criticism for more conspicuous development due to the current backlash being shown against energy companies perceived as reckless in their spending.

Just the facts
06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Let add this to the fire....

Devon is not building a new tower in Oklahoma City — or anywhere else

What about an FNC rehab or a subsidiary building a new tower?

Pete
06-04-2013, 12:00 PM
^

It's not Devon's style to play word games.

They wouldn't come out with this if they weren't planning to stand down for a while.

There will be a time where they will need to build again, but I'm sure they want to digest what they've already done before running off towards yet another highly-visible project.

Also, to build again so soon would reflect badly on their planning and general management.

Just the facts
06-04-2013, 12:11 PM
^

It's not Devon's style to play word games.

They wouldn't come out with this if they weren't planning to stand down for a while.

There will be a time where they will need to build again, but I'm sure they want to digest what they've already done before running off towards yet another highly-visible project.

Also, to build again so soon would reflect badly on their planning and general management.

So maybe they were planning something behind closed doors that was leaked and it was put on hold/canceled and this is the only public 'announcement' warranted.

Pete
06-04-2013, 12:20 PM
They were definitely planning something and I have no doubt they are the ones behind all the Preftakes block purchases, so obviously they have much bigger plans.

I really think they are trying to distance themselves from any comparisons to SandRidge and Chesapeake, especially their lavish and over-the-top spending on real estate.

Devon is saying, "We are lucky to have what we have and are completely satisfied."

Yet, they ARE expanding, just in a much more low-profile way.

If they have all the space they need, why lease almost a full floor in Corporate Tower (where they already lease other space) and then invest at least $1.5 million to build out a medical clinic?

hoya
06-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I would expect they won't announce anything for at least 5 years. That doesn't mean they aren't planning something. If they continue to grow and add more employees, and they end up leasing out a lot of office space all over the place like they did before the new tower, then maybe we'll see them build again. But at the moment, sitting tight and riding out the Chesapeake/Sandridge fallout might be the best move. Devon is nothing if not cautious.

HangryHippo
06-04-2013, 12:32 PM
I would expect they won't announce anything for at least 5 years. That doesn't mean they aren't planning something. If they continue to grow and add more employees, and they end up leasing out a lot of office space all over the place like they did before the new tower, then maybe we'll see them build again. But at the moment, sitting tight and riding out the Chesapeake/Sandridge fallout might be the best move. Devon is nothing if not cautious.

How long before the Chesapeake fallout pulls back? This SandRidge situation is much more precarious and who knows when we might see any resolution on that front.

bluedogok
06-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Once they have enough outside, leased space then it would be much easier to justify to shareholders/fund managers the need for a new building. By then the Chesapeake/Sandridge fallout should have blown over.

Teo9969
06-04-2013, 12:57 PM
5 years seems like a long time before they announce anything.

If they are actually worried about PR, they'll find a way to make a new building something that doesn't appear to be lavish spending. They can announce a massive hiring, or make an acquisition.

It seems that they're just trying to assess the long-term picture a bit better before moving forward, but I can't see that taking 5 years. If things stay on track, they'll be mighty uncomfortable in that "small" building in 2020. I bet they're waiting so they can determine if they need another 500k or 1.5M square feet.

adaniel
06-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Given what has happened with Chesapeake and SandRidge and the increased scrutiny of their real estate holdings, it doesn't surprise me that Devon is extra cautious announcing anything regarding their future plans. Heck, there's probably still Reuters reporters here in town ready to dig up dirt.

The people I know who work there say the building is all but full, not necessarily bursting at the seams, but definitely more crowded than what was planned at this time. I'm sure its just a matter of time before some sort of expansion is planned.

metro
06-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Given what has happened with Chesapeake and SandRidge and the increased scrutiny of their real estate holdings, it doesn't surprise me that Devon is extra cautious announcing anything regarding their future plans. Heck, there's probably still Reuters reporters here in town ready to dig up dirt.

The people I know who work there say the building is all but full, not necessarily bursting at the seams, but definitely more crowded than what was planned at this time. I'm sure its just a matter of time before some sort of expansion is planned.

It's not full, I've toured it myself in the last few weeks and have seen plenty of empty offices and cubicles. Will they probably outgrow it if they stay on current growth rate without anything major unforeseen? Probably in the next 2-3 years but they're definitely not cramped in the short-term.

Pete
06-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Remember, they still have employees to move from Houston.

Not sure where they stand on that but I doubt all of them have made the move or been replaced.

hoya
06-04-2013, 02:24 PM
That's got to be part of it too.

In the end, 5 years isn't that long for an announcement. The last time Devon announced, they were ready to move. The building had been designed, they owned the land, every piece was in place. I'd think they will do the same thing with the next one.

But generally, if they're having to lease other space today and are planning on adding a lot of jobs, I don't see that they have any choice but to build another tower. The one they have is just not big enough. I'd anticipate a small medical center on the Preftakes block, where the 1 story buildings are on Main. Then perhaps an underground connection to the main complex, as well as a tower also on the Preftakes block where the Lunch Box and the bus station are.

SharkSandwich
06-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Remember, they still have employees to move from Houston.

Not sure where they stand on that but I doubt all of them have made the move or been replaced.

I don't think this statement is accurate.

HangryHippo
06-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't think this statement is accurate.

What part(s) do you think are inaccurate?

UnFrSaKn
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3680/8964922260_5cde06fbcd_b.jpg

Urbanized
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Personally I think a little coffee/news stand in the lobby of that auditorium, open to the public (maybe just in the mornings), would be a great way to liven that corner and better engage with the street. And yes, I understand there is already a coffee shop in the building proper.

Pete
06-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Personally I think a little coffee/news stand in the lobby of that auditorium, open to the public (maybe just in the mornings), would be a great way to liven that corner and better engage with the street. And yes, I understand there is already a coffee shop in the building proper.

There is plenty of room on that corner for some tables and chairs.

When the Mystery Tower is constructed and the Preftakes block built out, that will be a hot corner.

catcherinthewry
06-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Wow, that looks like a rendering! With the people that don't look real and everything. Cool shot Will. Keep 'em coming!

That's what I thought too!

TechArch
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
I went to a tour of the Devon Tower and Myriad Gardens today that was put on by the AIA Central Oklahoma Chapter. Larry Nichols and Klay Kimker stopped in to say a few words. Someone in attendance asked Klay how full the building is right now. He said that they have room for around 500 more employees.

UnFrSaKn
06-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Devon Energy Center (June 10 2013) - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamhider/sets/72157634065825557/)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3737/9013867416_f33c69cdbe_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3670/9012690297_e25a1c3eca_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7284/9013875588_514ca07267_b.jpg