View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

Pete
01-16-2013, 05:21 PM
They can only repair the panels from the outside and I still have no idea what is taking so darn long.

I know people working on that particular project and they are being vague about the delays. They had hoped to be completely done last summer.

dankrutka
01-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Just keep the top crown lit up. That would look good. Add the panels when they're ready.

Dustin
01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
They can only repair the panels from the outside and I still have no idea what is taking so darn long.

I know people working on that particular project and they are being vague about the delays. They had hoped to be completely done last summer.

Isn't the crane, window washing thing, whatever you want to call it, broken?

OKCisOK4me
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Just keep the top crown lit up. That would look good. Add the panels when they're ready.

I agreed with you in post #11095 ;)

Pete
01-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Isn't the crane, window washing thing, whatever you want to call it, broken?

It was "unavailable" for quite a while but I know it's been in use of late.

But I was told it's not all about access to the BMU (builiding maintenance unit).

Hope to have more info. soon. I know my sources are very frustrated and so is Devon.

OKCisOK4me
01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm just wondering when Alain Robert will be paying the Devon Tower a visit!

Alain Robert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Robert)

He's been fined and/or arrested before and it wouldn't be the shortest building he's ascended, so obviously it qualifies.

SoonerBoy18
01-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Why sometimes is crown yellow when the rest of the tower is changing colors?

OKCisOK4me
01-16-2013, 11:32 PM
I don't know, but it's bold...

Urbanized
01-17-2013, 08:09 AM
There are a significant number of LEDs out in the crown too. If you didn't notice those it only reinforces my suggestion that the average Joe isn't noticing them, or the other ones on the sides, either. We're blowing this out of proportion in this forum. It's hardly "embarrassing" to anybody other than the supplier or contractor responsible. Sometimes we could benefit from a little perspective on here.

BoulderSooner
01-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Why sometimes is crown yellow when the rest of the tower is changing colors?

the inside lights

HangryHippo
01-17-2013, 08:24 AM
There are a significant number of LEDs out in the crown too. If you didn't notice those it only reinforces my suggestion that the average Joe isn't noticing them, or the other ones on the sides, either. We're blowing this out of proportion in this forum. It's hardly "embarrassing" to anybody other than the supplier or contractor responsible. Sometimes we could benefit from a little perspective on here.

Perhaps you're not passing by Devon with very observant people? I drive by it routinely with friends and family that couldn't give a rats ass about urban development or the growth of downtown, but every time, someone in the car comments about the lights not being fully functional and that it looks pretty shoddy on an otherwise nice building. So there's a little different perspective.

Anonymous.
01-17-2013, 08:56 AM

Not sure why you are defending these lights so much, it is and was a hackjob and it is still showing its ugly face a year later. The ol' 'crane isn't working, or needs optimal weather conditions' story is a yawner. In our building downtown, there has been window washers several times this winter - an arm extending out to achieve the same pulley system concept as a traditional (block style) building does not seem much more complex. Perhaps the crane really is broken, but that doesn't change the fact that this has been like this for year(s). During construction of the tower, the LEDs were clearly not working properly, however they finished the tower anyways (probably because they knew they could use that awesome crane up there).

The fact is, someone screwed up and its noticed by a lot of people, they just don't know this forum exists/care to join and discuss such a thing. This forum is a pretty good representation of the people of OKC anyways. Look at the age poll in the Current Events section to see just how diverse this forum's members are.

Trust me, this tower's lightjob (or lack thereof) is an eyesore.

Lafferty Daniel
01-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Not sure why you are defending these lights so much, it is and was a hackjob and it is still showing its ugly face a year later. The ol' 'crane isn't working, or needs optimal weather conditions' story is a yawner. In our building downtown, there has been window washers several times this winter - an arm extending out to achieve the same pulley system concept as a traditional (block style) building does not seem much more complex. Perhaps the crane really is broken, but that doesn't change the fact that this has been like this for year(s). During construction of the tower, the LEDs were clearly not working properly, however they finished the tower anyways (probably because they knew they could use that awesome crane up there).

The fact is, someone screwed up and its noticed by a lot of people, they just don't know this forum exists/care to join and discuss such a thing. This forum is a pretty good representation of the people of OKC anyways. Look at the age poll in the Current Events section to see just how diverse this forum's members are.

Trust me, this tower's lightjob (or lack thereof) is an eyesore.

dankrutka
01-17-2013, 10:33 AM

This doesn't really reinforce your point since I don't live in Oklahoma. I only see the tower about once a month so it's not much to go off of...

I think most people have given the benefit of the doubt because they have done things so well in the past... but this is just baffling.

jccouger
01-17-2013, 10:46 AM
If you guys think it is not noticable to the "Average joe" you are kidding yourself. It is OBVIOUSLY a issue to everybody that looks at the tower. It is a eyesore, no matter how beautiful of a building it is. It is annoying that it hasnt been resolved yet (or even come close to being resolveD). I've lost faith that every strip of LEDs will EVER work in unison at any time in the towers life.

milkmandude
01-17-2013, 10:46 AM
I agree. I was excited to finally have some sort of navigational icon from anywhere around the city when they used to light the crown. I guess I am too far away, but even when lit in color you can't see anything but the sides now. All in all it IS better than nothing, but I am still hopelessly waiting for the "breathe taking" lighted crown/lantern display I've been hearing about for a long time now. As for those that are out, I hadn't noticed any but again it may be because I'm looking from far away in the 'burbs.

Urbanized
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm not defending the lights; they bug me every time I look at them. I just recognize that -- like many of the posters here I'm sure -- I personally have been more obsessive regarding this building over the past couple of years than probably 99% of the OKC populace. I agree they need to be fixed, and believe they will. Devon has done pretty much EVERYTHING else right -- and to an exceptional standard -- throughout construction. I doubt that this particular issue has eluded their notice. In fact, as I've previously stated I'll bet a contractor or supplier has had some major heat over it.

I just take issue with the notion that the lights need to be turned off until fixed, or that they are somehow an embarrassing disgrace to the community.

The non-functioning LEDs are a minor (and temporary) blip in an otherwise incredible project, and we will have all forgotten about this issue a year from now, assuming they are fixed. They will recede in our collective consciousness much like the misplaced and relocated pier in the foundation, or the high water table in the basement, or yellow steel beams in the crown, or the crane-busted window that took months to fix. Each and every one of these issues were all but the end of the world for some posters on this board. This too shall pass.

Steve
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Good Lord people, do I need to invite Popsy into this thread to slap you all around?

Steve
01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Good Lord people, do I need to invite Popsy into this thread to slap you all around? (not aimed at you Urbanized)

OKCisOK4me
01-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Good Lord people, do I need to invite Popsy into this thread to slap you all around?

No but you could give us all a hint of when your next tower announcement story is going to come out :tongue:

MDot
01-17-2013, 07:11 PM
No but you could give us all a hint of when your next tower announcement story is going to come out :tongue:

I second this Steve. :)

Just the facts
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
When we were downtown last month I instantly noticed that sections of lights were out and to me it looked pretty bad. If my wife and kids noticed it they didn't say anything to me about it. However, when my kids do notice lights burned out on other buildings they tend to comment on it; usually along the lines of asking why they can't afford to fix it, is it a bad neighborhood, or generally making fun of it (especially if it is a sign with letters burned out). Most of us on OKCTalk will universally agree the downtown OKC is not a bad neighborhood but people who are not downtown regulars already have a low opinion of downtown so having non-operating lights on a brand new building that can be seen from 20 miles away doesn't help. When you put your best foot forward it helps if your shoelaces are tied.

Having said that I am sure Devon is fixing it as fast as they can. Who knows, maybe there is a design flaw that prevents repairs from being made easily. Now, if in 5 years they haven't fixed it then we have a problem

Urbanized
01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
There definitely is something specific to the design that makes it difficult. I mentioned it in a previous post, but the LEDs are actually BEHIND glass "fins" that are fitted into frames. Hard to describe, but I saw them up close and it all made sense to me. The light is actually projected fiber-optic style through the glass pane. So each "fin" section in front of the LED strip must be removed from the frame, as far as I can tell. I'm guessing that is fairly labor intensive, and will continue to take some time to do. Sounds like the competing uses of and weather limitations on the BMU will make it take even longer, so we'll all just need to be patient.

I still maintain that it looks far better as-is than if the LEDs were turned off, as some have suggested. It's just not that big of a deal, and this comes from someone who obsesses over lighting.

Anonymous.
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
In the new google maps imagery, if you zoom in - you can actually see this crane.

OKCisOK4me
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
The gravity boots from Star Trek 4 - The Voyage Home would really help out in this situation!

Rover
01-18-2013, 02:01 PM
When we were downtown last month I instantly noticed that sections of lights were out and to me it looked pretty bad. If my wife and kids noticed it they didn't say anything to me about it. However, when my kids do notice lights burned out on other buildings they tend to comment on it; usually along the lines of asking why they can't afford to fix it, is it a bad neighborhood, or generally making fun of it (especially if it is a sign with letters burned out). Most of us on OKCTalk will universally agree the downtown OKC is not a bad neighborhood but people who are not downtown regulars already have a low opinion of downtown so having non-operating lights on a brand new building that can be seen from 20 miles away doesn't help. When you put your best foot forward it helps if your shoelaces are tied.

This is amazing. I have taken lots of intelligent, observant and pretty sophisticated out of town visitors through downtown during the day and night and not one has had any comment about inoperative lights at Devon or how it makes the area look run down, unsafe, poorer, etc. Instead, they are all amazed at how much it has changed since they were here last, how downtown looks much cleaner, newer and better....and how much Devon center has improved the impression of downtown. Guess they will have to take it all back since a few LEDs aren't working right. Darn.

Bellaboo
01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
I personally think the 'light' situation is being blown way out of proportion. Yes, they have a few issues, but does it take away from everything superior about this skyscraper......nah.

In due time they'll get it corrected no matter what the hold up is. Think about it, it's only noticeable a few hours of the day.

Just the facts
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Rover, I think you need to read my post again. I believe you skipped over a few words.

Dubya61
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM

I always wondered if that was his vocation -- sort of abusive father / sergeant at arms of OKC Talk.

UnFrSaKn
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
In the new google maps imagery, if you zoom in - you can actually see this crane.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/DevonTowerCrane12-12.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/DevonTowerCrane12-12-2.jpg

OKCTalker
01-18-2013, 03:13 PM
UnFrSaKn - Those are seriously cool pics!

Regarding the lights, I think that it's easier to complain about something so visible and prominent - inoperable lights on the state's tallest skyscraper on long, clear winter nights, visible for miles. Sewage backups and broken elevators would hardly be noticed!

MDot
01-18-2013, 03:47 PM
This is amazing. I have taken lots of intelligent, observant and pretty sophisticated out of town visitors through downtown during the day and night and not one has had any comment about inoperative lights at Devon or how it makes the area look run down, unsafe, poorer, etc. Instead, they are all amazed at how much it has changed since they were here last, how downtown looks much cleaner, newer and better....and how much Devon center has improved the impression of downtown. Guess they will have to take it all back since a few LEDs aren't working right. Darn.

You totally misread Kerry's post. :) lol

MDot
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
The contrast in the second picture UnFrSaKn posted is gorgeous!

Rover
01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Rover, I think you need to read my post again. I believe you skipped over a few words.

My apologies.

Just the facts
01-18-2013, 08:38 PM
My apologies.

No worries. :)

LocoAko
01-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Got Downtown to take a few more photos yesterday. Nothing amazing or new, really, but just thought I'd share.

lindsey
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
I, personally, am SO glad that the light situation is being discussed. I look at it every night from my window in DD and think "seriously? - how in the world could it be taking this long?" If Devon provided some answers, people would understand. However, it IS an eye sore and it definitely looks worse "lit" up the way it is (although better not than a few months ago) than if it were turned off. The argument that it looks better than no lights doesn't make sense to me. It's like the landscaping in my neighborhood - there is literally NO excuse for how bad it looks (working on that though - sprinkling system was cut due to development of LEVEL). Expensive good is much better than cheap/not working bad. Devon needs to figure it out.

Mike63
01-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Yesterday I noticed a window out in the SW crown triangle. Does anybody know what happened? I cannot help but wonder if someone took a shot at it or maybe light related.

catch22
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Also noticed it the other day.

Praedura
01-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Nice story from 'Oklahoma Today' about Larry Nichols and the Devon Tower

http://oklahomatoday.com/oklahomatoday/documents/jf13_OOTY.pdf

Interesting background info on the formation and growth of Devon Energy. And a bit of personal look into Larry's life as well. Heck, you even get that 9th grade photo of Larry that you always wanted.

Article tidbit: Nebu is named for "Northeast Blanco Unit" - a natural gas field in New Mexico that significantly contributed to the company's early success.

UnFrSaKn
01-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Ever read the Devon Tower book?

Praedura
01-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Ever read the Devon Tower book?

No. But I probably should, huh?

catch22
01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Here's the missing window. SW side. Taken this afternoon.

OKCisOK4me
01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Did you catch that splotch of bird poo on the North Crown too?? :Smiley122

Bellaboo
01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Here's the missing window. SW side. Taken this afternoon.

Maybe this is what's necessary to fix some of the lighting..??

jccouger
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
That window has been like that for as long as I can remember

Praedura
01-29-2013, 10:14 AM
The beacon from afar:

http://fitzvideo.com/sky_surfing/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Fire-east-of-town-004.jpg

Taken from a small plane flying over Noble (http://fitzvideo.com/sky_surfing/2012/08/10/oklahoma-wildfires-august-2012-don-dewitt) last August.

That tower is like the central Oklahoma lighthouse.

Plutonic Panda
01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Whats up with the neighborhood on the lower right corner? There's all that land and that build the houses right next to each other? lol :p

catch22
01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Whats up with the neighborhood on the lower right corner? There's all that land and that build the houses right next to each other? lol :p

That's called a subdivision. Someone owns a large parcel of land, and then subdivides it for people to build houses on. Or allows a developer to build all of the houses, and then subdivides the land.

Plutonic Panda
01-29-2013, 12:05 PM
That's called a subdivision. Someone owns a large parcel of land, and then subdivides it for people to build houses on. Or allows a developer to build all of the houses, and then subdivides the land.I know what it is. It just seems weird that would build like that waaaaaaaaaay out there and build the houses that close together when there is plenty of land available. It seems to me, if I wanted to live in a subdivision like that one, as I do now, I would live in the city or some place like Edmond, Moore, Norman ect. If I wanted to live that far out, I would build on a big piece of land and have my privacy. Everyone has their own preferences though. :)

UnFrSaKn
01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Relevant (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=noble&hl=en&ll=35.122041,-97.386192&spn=0.005318,0.011995&sll=35.436058,-97.390366&sspn=0.169514,0.383835&t=h&hnear=Noble,+Cleveland,+Oklahoma&z=17)

catch22
01-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Relevant (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=noble&hl=en&ll=35.122041,-97.386192&spn=0.005318,0.011995&sll=35.436058,-97.390366&sspn=0.169514,0.383835&t=h&hnear=Noble,+Cleveland,+Oklahoma&z=17)

What's funny is, I know a person who lives in that subdivision.

Praedura
01-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Google Maps is so awesome

Plutonic Panda
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, sorry. I can get off subject a lot. :/

kevinpate
01-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Named their little eatery after a place where a large amount of natural gas exists ... gotta love it.

hoya
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Named their little eatery after a place where a large amount of natural gas exists ... gotta love it.

Really should be the name of a mexican food place.

Praedura
01-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Devon Tower has won in the first round of the SkyscraperCity 2012 cup (woohoo!)
SkyscraperCity XL - 2012 cup (http://xl.skyscrapercity.com/?page=tournament&var=34&do=image)

Members vote for their favorite skyscrapers completed in 2012 from a field of 32 buildings. Devon Tower won (barely) against the Leatop Plaza in Guangzhou, China.
SkyscraperCity XL - round 1 (http://xl.skyscrapercity.com/?page=oneonone&otherday=20130116)

Next up, DT faces the Flame Towers of Baku, Azerbaijan.
SkyscraperCity XL - brackets (http://xl.skyscrapercity.com/?page=tournament&var=34)

Ok, I never heard of this thing until I came across the link. But as long as Devon Tower is winning, then it must be important in some way!
:cool:

metro
01-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info, let us know about these contests so we can support DT. I'm not so sure DT can be those Flame Towers, those are pretty flippin sweet.

OKCisOK4me
01-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Yeah...our first round flame is gonna get smoked...

jccouger
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
LOL seriously no point in even voting or payin attention. Devon tower is gonna get blown out by those buildings.