View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

Anonymous.
12-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I think he is saying it will be convenient and proper - as having to walk to one end of the block or the other to cross into the gardens is what doesn't make sense.

And for what it's worth, that area where a signal is supposed to be going up has looked like that for a long time. Those same construction barriers defending the base of the future signal has been there since I can remember the street being reopened. So I wouldn't hold my breath for this to happen anytime soon - unless something has changed since I was through there last week.

catch22
12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I think he is saying it will be convenient and proper - as having to walk to one end of the block or the other to cross into the gardens is what doesn't make sense.

And for what it's worth, that area where a signal is supposed to be going up has looked like that for a long time. Those same construction barriers defending the base of the future signal has been there since I can remember the street being reopened. So I wouldn't hold my breath for this to happen anytime soon - unless something has changed since I was through there last week.
He has many posts opposing mid block crosswalks. He was being sarcastic.

Just the facts
12-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Sorry for the confusion Catch22. Anonymous got it right. I love mid-block crosswalks. In a car going to the corner isn't a big deal but on foot it makes a big difference. And like you said, this is a super block and a crosswalk would normally be there.

UnFrSaKn
12-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Today

http://i.imgur.com/VBCDl.jpg

skanaly
12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Looks like they are almost about to start the antenna!
About Devon now, does anyone know of any plans about christmas color LED lights? The crown has been lit up with regular light for the past couple nights, thought they might be programing something with new colors.

catch22
12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Antenna?

Didn't know there was supposed to be one on top?

catch22
12-06-2012, 12:58 PM
^^^^ Nevermind, I guess he was referring to the Trade Center.

skanaly
12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah didn't you notice the cranes back up on the Devon tower? ;)

Milan
12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
how come every time i click discussion it wont let me go to the next page?

Pete
12-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Click on discussion then the page numbers on the bottom or top of page.

The article (first post) will always be at the top of the page.

Teo9969
12-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Don't click on Discussion unless you want to be on the first page. Scroll past the wiki part

...It takes some getting used to.

UnFrSaKn
12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/478118_398412353569342_1595699650_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8248350445_3fae42560d_h.jpg

Just the facts
12-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Downtown OKC looks really dense from that angle :)

Bellaboo
12-12-2012, 08:49 AM
See where Larry Nichols hung up his boots.

Co-founder Larry Nichols to retire from Devon Energy in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/co-founder-larry-nichols-to-retire-from-devon-energy-in-oklahoma-city/article/3736777)

Bellaboo
12-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Downtown OKC looks really dense from that angle :)

Yep, and the Oklahoma River is out of it's banks too.

SSEiYah
12-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Pretty cool time lapse:

Full Moon Rising - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WHFas7QYxk&hd=1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WHFas7QYxk&hd=1

HOT ROD
12-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Looks like Freedom tower is topped out.

MDot
12-14-2012, 11:32 PM
One World Trade Center is easily my favorite new building. Second is Devon Tower, but the WTC is just amazing.

skanaly
12-18-2012, 09:57 AM
One World Trade Center is easily my favorite new building. Second is Devon Tower, but the WTC is just amazing.
What makes you like the WTC so much? Honestly I think from an architectual stand point, it's waaaaay to simple. The design is to basic. But I'm with ya on the Devon tower!

OKCisOK4me
12-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Geometrically, 1WTC is awesome. The way that the bases and the tops go from large to small as they go the length of the building kinda makes it look like it's a twisted building. Too bad the Spire never got off the ground in Chicago. That would have been an impressive architectural achievement.

bombermwc
12-18-2012, 03:11 PM
The point of 1WTC was not to make it geometric. It's an inversion of itself. So if you took it and turned it upside down, it would be the same building. The "rotation" actually serves two purposes. 1 is to cut the wind some so it's not as big of a broad side given it's size. 2 is to give the appearance of the two towers in one. That's all from an interview with the architect.

Plutonic Panda
12-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Geometrically, 1WTC is awesome. The way that the bases and the tops go from large to small as they go the length of the building kinda makes it look like it's a twisted building. Too bad the Spire never got off the ground in Chicago. That would have been an impressive architectural achievement.I was soooooooo freakin pumped to see that, what I thought at the time was a for sure deal, start to take off. I was just in the sh*ts to see it was canceled. I think it truly would've been an iconic tower for the U.S. :(

Plutonic Panda
12-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Devon Energy's Larry Nichols named Oklahoman of the Year | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/devon-energys-larry-nichols-named-oklahoman-of-the-year/article/3739061)

kevinpate
12-23-2012, 09:25 AM
nice!

Teo9969
12-23-2012, 09:52 AM
That's a really cool angle, Sid! Love that you can't see any other skyscrapers

OKCisOK4me
12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, at least you got the Rock Island Plow building in the shot :-)

MDot
12-24-2012, 02:41 PM
My family is talking about taking a tour of the Devon Tower, but we aren't too sure on who we should contact or where we should look. Can someone please point us in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pete
12-24-2012, 03:23 PM
My family is talking about taking a tour of the Devon Tower, but we aren't too sure on who we should contact or where we should look. Can someone please point us in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think they offer a tour.

However, the rotunda and garden wing are open during the daytime as are the restaurant (Nebu) and coffee / gellato shop. You can't go up in the office tower unless you are going up to Vast on the 49th floor; you don't need reservations to go up there and have a drink and/or appetizer.

You can also walk through Devon to get to the Colcord Hotel next door. And the Devon patios and park are open to the public.

ljbab728
12-24-2012, 09:32 PM
You can't go up in the office tower unless you are going up to Vast on the 49th floor; you don't need reservations to go up there and have a drink and/or appetizer.

Has that changed, Pete? I had asked here before about needing reservations for the bar and was told that reservations were required.

MDot
12-24-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't think they offer a tour.

However, the rotunda and garden wing are open during the daytime as are the restaurant (Nebu) and coffee / gellato shop. You can't go up in the office tower unless you are going up to Vast on the 49th floor; you don't need reservations to go up there and have a drink and/or appetizer.

You can also walk through Devon to get to the Colcord Hotel next door. And the Devon patios and park are open to the public.

Thank you for the reply.

RodH
12-24-2012, 11:15 PM
They offer tours by appointment on Thursdays and Saturdays. I went on November 30. You have to register on the web site Devon Energy Center (http://devonenergycenter.net). They are running about three to four weeks ahead. The tour takes about an hour and a half. You will want to take your camera. The tours are limited to no more than twenty people. All the info can be found on the web site.

Pete
12-25-2012, 08:44 AM
They offer tours by appointment on Thursdays and Saturdays. I went on November 30. You have to register on the web site Devon Energy Center (http://devonenergycenter.net). They are running about three to four weeks ahead. The tour takes about an hour and a half. You will want to take your camera. The tours are limited to no more than twenty people. All the info can be found on the web site.

Thanks so much for the info.!

Had no idea they were doing this.

UnFrSaKn
12-25-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm surprised Pete didn't know. I've known since the official opening. It was on a promotional .pdf on NewsOK. I had planned a tour back in November but cancelled.

metro
12-25-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm surprised Pete didn't know. I've known since the official opening. It was on a promotional .pdf on NewsOK. I had planned a tour back in November but cancelled.

Juked

UnFrSaKn
12-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Juked

Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower) - OKCTalk (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Devon+Energy+Center+Devon+Tower&page=541#post587934)

Read the fine print. (http://issuu.com/opubco/docs/devon/3)
(middle of page)

Urbanized
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
I took the tour a few weeks ago (Devon invited hospitality industry folks including my employees), and it's definitely worth taking. I had been in the building a number of times previously, but still took away quite a bit from it.

Bailey80
12-26-2012, 12:20 PM
I was up in the tower this morning with a city elevator inspector for a story I am writing and the restaurant space on the 50th floor was like a wind tunnel. The pressure from the wind blowing around was enough to slam a heavy steel door shut and it was LOUD up there too. I've been up to Vast before and this wasn't a problem. A guy who works there said it had something to do with the warm air in the tower colliding with the very cool air outside. Do any architects or physicists out there know if this is a common problem?

OKCisOK4me
12-26-2012, 01:21 PM
I bet you'll have a better shot of getting an architect to answer your question as opposed to a physicist.

My guess is there are not issues in Chicago or other major cities when it comes to wind and since Chilton has several other completed projects in other major cities, my guess is they've faced the meteorological issues before.

catch22
12-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Airflow inside of buildings is always strange. They are pressurized so if a door was open somewhere it could cause a strong wind inside until the pressure stabilized.

OKCTalker
12-26-2012, 01:40 PM
On December 24 KGOU Radio broadcast a presentation by Larry Nichols and Klay Kimker in which they discussed the construction of the Devon Tower (it’s available at kgou.org). At 13:20 in the recording they discussed worker safety, and Klay mentioned that their actuaries estimated that there would be 5.4 worker deaths on a project of this size. He and Larry went on to talk about specific worker requirements that contributed to a safer workplace. I mentioned this to a family member over Christmas who is a construction supervisor (although not affiliated with any of the Devon projects). He was familiar with some of Devon’s requirements, the consequences for violating them, and he knew workers who were fired on the spot, and companies whose contracts were cancelled for repeated violations. He described the system for worker access into certain workspaces at prescribed times, and it sounded about as difficult as scoring a reservation at Vast.

Two sides to the same coin – “the safest job in north America in the last 10 years,” versus inconvenience to workers and contractors.

Urbanized
12-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Death or serious injury sound decidedly inconvenient to me.

Rover
12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
I was up in the tower this morning with a city elevator inspector for a story I am writing and the restaurant space on the 50th floor was like a wind tunnel. The pressure from the wind blowing around was enough to slam a heavy steel door shut and it was LOUD up there too. I've been up to Vast before and this wasn't a problem. A guy who works there said it had something to do with the warm air in the tower colliding with the very cool air outside. Do any architects or physicists out there know if this is a common problem?

The thermal barriers between floors and the ventilation systems would be enough to avoid the kind of chimney effect you describe. The skin is an effective thermal barrier as well. If the top and bottom were both open and there was an open path there could be a chimney, but there are too many barriers built in. The closest possibility would be the elevator chases, but even in those remote possibilities the only way it would cause strong air flow through the restaurant would be for the elevator doors to be open, the cars not blocking the opening, and there to be open windows in the restaurant...in other words, a MASSIVE failure.

Bailey80
12-27-2012, 10:04 AM
The thermal barriers between floors and the ventilation systems would be enough to avoid the kind of chimney effect you describe. The skin is an effective thermal barrier as well. If the top and bottom were both open and there was an open path there could be a chimney, but there are too many barriers built in. The closest possibility would be the elevator chases, but even in those remote possibilities the only way it would cause strong air flow through the restaurant would be for the elevator doors to be open, the cars not blocking the opening, and there to be open windows in the restaurant...in other words, a MASSIVE failure.

I'm pretty sure there weren't any windows open at Vast, lol. All I know is what I saw and heard. The wind was howling up there. It sounded like a blizzard. Doors were swinging shut, etc. It was a very cold morning, which could have accounted for some of the problem.

I think I found out what the elevator guy was talking about yesterday. It's called the stack effect. Would the problems with the air flow in Vast be considered a flaw in the design of the tower?

Stack effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_effect)

Chimney Sweep News: The Stack Effect (http://affordablesweep.blogspot.com/2012/04/stack-effect.html)

"If the stack effect is a big deal in two-story houses, imagine what kind of pressure it causes in high-rise buildings. This pressure is so significant in fact that "when skyscrapers were first developed at the turn of the century, people also had to invent revolving doors because you couldn’t open the front door due to the stack effect pressure," says Straube. "The cold air was rushing in with so much pressure that it was difficult to push the exit doors open."

OKCisOK4me
12-27-2012, 02:48 PM
I sincerely doubt that is the cause of what you saw and heard.

Rover
12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Unmitigated there would be a large stack effect. But there are many things done in a building of this type to reduce or eliminate the effect. There has to be a place for air to enter, a passageway to the higher floors, and then a place to exit. In a new building with tightly sealed skin panels, and a sophisticated ventilation system, and without operable windows on top, the air doesn't pass through easily. All this is factored in during design, particularly in consideration of fire and smoke suppression systems. There were world class engineers involved in this design. I would be shocked if this was overlooked or mis-engineered.

OKCisOK4me
12-27-2012, 05:49 PM
On the north triangle of the building in the top right hand side there is a vent and if you remember there are a lot of vents on the north side of the building just above the east wing of the rotunda. I'm sure those help in keeping the pressures of the building on an even keel with the outside so the building doesn't implode.

Urbanized
12-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Just a thought, but seems possible there was a service door or hatch open to the roof, at the top of an elevator shaft or wherever. Lots of work still ongoing in that building. I haven't heard any other stories like this one, and noticed no weirdness when I visited the top of the tower on a coolish, breezy day. Might just have been an isolated event.

SoonerBoy18
12-27-2012, 09:52 PM
just a thought but wouldnt Devon be one worlds top 5 tallest builgings considering its height above sea level

Rover
12-27-2012, 10:09 PM
just a thought but wouldnt Devon be one worlds top 5 tallest builgings considering its height above sea level

Not even close. There are whole cities above its tallest point.

ljbab728
12-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Not even close. There are whole cities above its tallest point.

Denver being a good case in point. Every building in that city is higher than the Devon Tower.

Bailey80
12-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I sincerely doubt that is the cause of what you saw and heard.

OK, I know everybody thinks I'm nuts now, but I don't think I've done a good job of describing what I heard and saw. It was more an air pressure problem on the 50th floor than wind blowing around up there. Doors were slamming shut after they were opened because of the air pressure up there. You could definitely hear the wind howling in the hallway by the elevator shafts. I did some more research on the stack effect in tall buildings and it seems like this really is a common problem. I think the elevator engineer from Schindler that works on the Devon elevators who I was there with actually mentioned that this was from the stack effect but I misunderstood at the time.

A Study on the Development and Application of the EV Shaft Cooling System to Reduce Stack Effect in High-rise Buildings (http://www.scribd.com/doc/95410651/A-Study-on-the-Development-and-Application-of-the-EV-Shaft-Cooling-System-to-Reduce-Stack-Effect-in-High-rise-Buildings)

"ABSTRACT: High-rise residential buildings in Seoul experience stack effect problems during the winter season, such as difficulties in opening residential entrance doors and whistling noises from elevator doors generated by airflow."

From: http://www.aia.org/aiaucmp/groups/ek_public/documents/pdf/aiap017506.pdf

OKCisOK4me
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I'll be going to Vast for my birthday in March so I will look and listen for the things you describe ;-)

SoonerBoy18
12-28-2012, 04:45 PM
What happend to the 500+ pages?

Pete
12-28-2012, 04:53 PM

I changed the pagination from 20 per page to 40.

mblues
12-28-2012, 05:00 PM
OK, I know everybody thinks I'm nuts now, but I don't think I've done a good job of describing what I heard and saw. It was more an air pressure problem on the 50th floor than wind blowing around up there. Doors were slamming shut after they were opened because of the air pressure up there. You could definitely hear the wind howling in the hallway by the elevator shafts. I did some more research on the stack effect in tall buildings and it seems like this really is a common problem. I think the elevator engineer from Schindler that works on the Devon elevators who I was there with actually mentioned that this was from the stack effect but I misunderstood at the time.

A Study on the Development and Application of the EV Shaft Cooling System to Reduce Stack Effect in High-rise Buildings (http://www.scribd.com/doc/95410651/A-Study-on-the-Development-and-Application-of-the-EV-Shaft-Cooling-System-to-Reduce-Stack-Effect-in-High-rise-Buildings)

"ABSTRACT: High-rise residential buildings in Seoul experience stack effect problems during the winter season, such as difficulties in opening residential entrance doors and whistling noises from elevator doors generated by airflow."

From: http://www.aia.org/aiaucmp/groups/ek_public/documents/pdf/aiap017506.pdf

You are not nuts; throughout the building there are two sets of doors, one on each end of the bank of elevators. The doors have security devices that keep them closed until a security card is scanned. On windy days there is enough air pressure coming through the elevator shafts (actual strong air movement) that some doors will not close until an opposite door is opened releasing internal pressure from the elevator bank area.

Praedura
12-28-2012, 11:14 PM
It was a dark and frosty Christmas night in OKC.

With the Dallas Mavericks freshly beaten, a curious soul meanders from the Chesapeake Arena with camera in hand and captures the colorful flecks of lights and mist surrounding Devon Tower and the Myriad gardens....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8082/8316297251_158cb160ea_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8491/8317351604_e1a8caa661_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8503/8316295611_4a74670903_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8503/8317350684_da591fc07a_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8354/8317350302_7350282ed9_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8316295473_2afc958bca_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8317347714_e45e898340_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8212/8317347854_461380e8bb_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8356/8316295329_36c62206be_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8352/8316298829_236e11c1b5_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8079/8317352632_5ea36309e0_b_d.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8073/8317352956_3eccd5c4c8_b_d.jpg

Photos by Ludowe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gghouse/)

Read about it in his blog post: Loud City, Quiet City (http://ludowe.wordpress.com/2012/12/28/loud-city-quiet-city/)

(and to all, a good night)

Edit: Ok, make that a dark and frosty December 27th, not Christmas night (oops... oh well, close enough!)

Bailey80
12-29-2012, 09:07 AM
You are not nuts; throughout the building there are two sets of doors, one on each end of the bank of elevators. The doors have security devices that keep them closed until a security card is scanned. On windy days there is enough air pressure coming through the elevator shafts (actual strong air movement) that some doors will not close until an opposite door is opened releasing internal pressure from the elevator bank area.

Thank you!

mcca7596
12-29-2012, 10:13 AM

I've only got 111 pages; I like my settings being at 100 posts per page :-)

mcca7596
12-29-2012, 10:31 AM
So, I haven't been keeping up with all the technical issues, sorry. How much longer do we think until all the LED issues are worked out?

OKCisOK4me
12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
So, I haven't been keeping up with all the technical issues, sorry. How much longer do we think until all the LED issues are worked out?

The new end of the world date....2036.