View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

metro
02-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Oh geez, here we go again...............

bluedogok
02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
True. And the construction companies will be bidding like crazy to get those jobs.

Thx to Devon, thats more jobs in OKC. More taxes locally, further helping the economy floating.
We had a project that was bid last May, then stalled and rebid in November. The original average was about 12 million and the rebid average was around 10 million. It is making a difference.

BG918
02-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I work for one of the companies bidding the construction management for the Devon Tower. From what I've heard they have changed their estimates based on the current construction costs and that is why the selection process is taking so long. We should know the CM by early March and then bidding for the work would most likely begin by summer if they have DD drawings complete. I know the parking garage is the first phase, and then they will move onto the atrium and tower.

OKC74
02-17-2009, 09:15 AM
BG - I assume you mean that they are changing their estimates because construction costs are LOWER, right? Which is a positive sign that Devon will continue on with their plans. Has anyone checked out their stock today? It's below $50 for the first time in a very long time. Wonder what effects this will have?

metro
02-17-2009, 01:13 PM
how many ways are we going to spin the same story? let it die folks until new info comes out.

danielf1935
02-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I have a novel idea, if they start construction, we'll know their building it, if they don't start construction, we'll know their not building it.

Thunder
02-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I think it should be closed, cuz it is 37 pages and counting. Way too long and long overdued for closure.

lasomeday
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
They should start working on the parking garage in the next month or so! I am getting excited!

jbrown84
02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Perhaps it should be closed and when there is new news, a new thread could begin.

Pete
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I think what makes the most sense is that when construction actually starts -- or when it is close to starting with definitive plans and time tables -- we can start a new thread then for updates.

Steve
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
That time shouldn't be too far off - I'm hearing the garage work will begin in the next quarter.

LakeEffect
02-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Technically, construction has started... the work on the loading dock entrance at Harvey/Galleria and the Norrick Library is prep. work for the tower.

DaveSkater
02-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Yup, construction has started :)

Stan Silliman
02-21-2009, 09:42 AM
I work for one of the companies bidding the construction management for the Devon Tower. From what I've heard they have changed their estimates based on the current construction costs and that is why the selection process is taking so long. We should know the CM by early March and then bidding for the work would most likely begin by summer if they have DD drawings complete. I know the parking garage is the first phase, and then they will move onto the atrium and tower.

I hope they don't change design based on today's lower construction estimates. They are lower today but by the time drawings are completed and bidding is done, they could just as easily be back up.

By the way, when construction prices are cheapest is when Devon's stock prices will be lowest. There is a correlation between depressed oil prices and construction demand, at least in this market. If oil starts climbing back over $ 60 a barrell, it affects all material, labor market and transportation costs which, in turn, raises all the construction costs.

If you don't have to borrow and you have plenty of cash the time to build is during a depressed construction market.

OKCMallen
02-21-2009, 09:53 AM
I hope they don't change design based on today's lower construction estimates. They are lower today but by the time drawings are completed and bidding is done, they could just as easily be back up.

By the way, when construction prices are cheapest is when Devon's stock prices will be lowest. There is a correlation between depressed oil prices and construction demand, at least in this market. If oil starts climbing back over $ 60 a barrell, it affects all material, labor market and transportation costs which, in turn, raises all the construction costs.

If you don't have to borrow and you have plenty of cash the time to build is during a depressed construction market.

Your post was thought out, informative, and well-reasoned. Are you sure you're on the right board?? :bright_id

adrian30
03-31-2009, 03:37 PM
when do they start building the devon tower? i cant waite to see it finished

warreng88
03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/13866-devon-tower.html

There is a thread dedicated to that already. I believe it is supposed to start construction in about six months.

adrian30
03-31-2009, 06:43 PM
cant wait to see it rises up in the skyline.:yourock::yourock: man its going to be one big building

Thunder
03-31-2009, 10:12 PM
One hella skyscaper. Or is is skyscraper? Spell check, anyone? :LolLolLol

metro
04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Technically some preliminary work has already begun. Harvey is already closed off right by the library, dirt has been moving and a construction trailer and equipment has been out there for several weeks now. I believe this is preliminary work for the parking garage, utilities and the adjacent conference center building.

jbrown84
04-01-2009, 09:27 PM
it scRapes the sky, Thunder.

Easy180
04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Just thinking especially after today the folks building it are really going to get to enjoy some lovely Okie wind

kevinpate
04-03-2009, 07:09 AM
> are really going to get to enjoy some lovely Okie wind

I suspect they'll strap up and enjoy it just fine, for it'll smell like money.
Wouldn't mind an opportunity to (very briefly) visit during construction, but I couldn't do what high rise builders do day in and day out

metro
04-03-2009, 07:14 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3358577

Scrapped skyscrapers benefit Devon
Construction Costs for tower may drop
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: April 3, 2009

Planned skyscraper projects are being scrapped around the world, leaving Devon Energy looking at significant potential cost savings as it proceeds with construction of its 54-story world headquarters.

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/556271/medium
An artist’s rendering of what Devon Energy Corp.’s new office tower will look like when it’s completed. Provided by Devon Energy Corp.

Klay Kimker, Devon’s corporate services manager, is aware that some local residents worry the economic downturn will claim its tower, as well. But both Kimker and Chief Executive Officer Larry Nichols say the project is still on track.

"We were very hopeful when we started the project that costs might go down,” Kimker said. "There were some indications that some of the pricing was high historically. And obviously any reduction in cost is of benefit to Devon and to the project.”

Devon estimated the tower’s cost at $750 million when project designs were unveiled in August. Kimker said any cost savings won’t be known until after a contractor is hired. Interviews with the top two finalists are ongoing and a choice is expected within weeks.

John Wood, project manager with Hines, the tower developer, thinks speculative skyscraper construction will be a lot less common in the future.

Two years ago, as Devon was preparing to make public its plans for a tower, skyscrapers were being announced across the country in what was a "go-go economy,” Wood said. Lenders, he said, were fueling the construction with aggressive interest rates and terms.

"There has been a fundamental shift in how real estate projects are capitalized,” Wood said. "And there are definitely a lot of people out there who think it’s a permanent shift.”

Wood, however, thinks towers — like the one to be built for Devon Energy — will continue to be built as companies look to modernize their workspaces.

Competition heats up
Just a year ago, Oklahoma contractors were worried about labor shortages and some public works jobs had to be readvertised because of a lack of bids.
That may be changing. Douglas Tapp, executive director of the Oklahoma Association of General Contractors, is already seeing out-of-state companies bidding for local jobs.

"Obviously, there’s not as much work as there was eight months to a year ago,” Tapp said. "We’re still doing OK. Most are feeling fairly comfortable through this year. The problem they (Oklahoma contractors) are running into is there isn’t enough work coming out on the bid board now that will carry them into next year.”

Tapp said the industry is waiting to see how much of the Devon tower project employs local labor. The project, he said, might be timed perfectly with the expected drop in jobs.

"We’re pretty comfortable there will be some of our state players involved,” Tapp said. "I’m not privy to how they’re going to split it up. You would hope that once the big tower gets going and started, it might trigger some other entities to start their work.”

Devon tower schedule:
Site preparation work is already under way for Devon tower, and the company has struck an agreement with the city to buy the west City Center garage for $18 million. Significant demolition and construction are expected to start later this year.

Richard at Remax
04-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Its good to hear someone who isn't blaming the economy and actually using it as a springboard.

edcrunk
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
there were some very high up devon big wigs dining in soleil with some out of town folks and they were all wondering if the tower was still in motion and the most senior guy at the table said "yes" and mentioned the low construction prices.

also, i noticed some businessman in soleil yesterday reading this thread on his laptop. he was looking at architect 5311's renderings of the skyline. i wanted to say something... but decided against it.

metro
04-03-2009, 11:54 AM
you should of said something bro, the big wigs need to know what's going on in average joe america. I've personally talked to CEO Larry Nichols a couple times and he's very down to earth and willing to talk.

edcrunk
04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
i meant to the lone guy on the laptop yesterday.... the big wigs were deep in discussions everytime i was near.

i've not seen larry, but i've heard he's been in the restaurant before... and everyone speaks highly of him.

BG918
04-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I can assure you it's still happening with site prep already started. The construction manager has been selected which will allow bidding to begin when design drawings are complete.

Steve
04-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I spoke to Larry Nichols today. The tower is just as on track as it was when it was announced.

Pete
04-04-2009, 10:13 AM
BTW, the political discussion that was sparked here is more than welcome, but not on this thread.

We have a Politics and Current Events board for this purpose and the last thing we need is politics infiltrating every thread on this site.

Please send me a PM if anyone has any questions. Thanks.

Steve
04-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Good call Pete.

bombermwc
04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm still peeing my pants waiting for this to rise from the ground. Gitty with anticipation.

I still find it ironic that the lot that exemplifies failed downtown developments (the non-existenent galleria mall), will become the icon of the new age.

Clock4869
04-08-2009, 04:41 AM
If you have a subscription to the Post there is a good article about construction firms being so eager for work that they are bidding much lower than expected. (Goes along with some of the other articles we've seen)

washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040703828.html?hpid=topnews)

http:// www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040703828.html?hpid= topnews

Thunder
04-08-2009, 07:02 AM
How low does the bids have to be (estimate) in order to add more floors to the tower?

In my opinion, if Devon is prepared to spend X amount of money and the entire projects end up being much lower than this X amount of money, then they should add much more to the tower (surprises).

If a tower is halfway on the rise, is it still possible to add new floors? New modifications?

I want to see a strong blue laser light beams at the top of the tower in random motion. A top to bottom line of blue neon lights on each corner of the tower. Water flow nonstop from top to bottom on all sides. That'd be neat to see a gentle flow of water washing down outside the windows.

BG918
04-08-2009, 07:28 AM
FYI I have heard the construction management will be a partnership of Holder Construction out of Atlanta and Flintco. Devon will be represented by Hines, the tower's developer. From this point the project team will have to be established and when contracts are negotiated the contractor will mobilize the site, most likely at the end of summer.

metro
04-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Thunder: How low does the bids have to be (estimate) in order to add more floors to the tower?

In my opinion, if Devon is prepared to spend X amount of money and the entire projects end up being much lower than this X amount of money, then they should add much more to the tower (surprises).

If a tower is halfway on the rise, is it still possible to add new floors? New modifications?

Yes, it is possible see the Al Burj or the Burj Dubai in Dubai. They are still not disclosing the final height as it is almost complete and they have changed it several times. They want it to be and remain the highest building in the world, even though it will beat most mega-skyscrapers by 2-3x. I don't however find it likely that Devon will do such a thing.

CuatrodeMayo
04-08-2009, 08:59 AM
How low does the bids have to be (estimate) in order to add more floors to the tower?

I want to see a strong blue laser light beams at the top of the tower in random motion. A top to bottom line of blue neon lights on each corner of the tower. Water flow nonstop from top to bottom on all sides. That'd be neat to see a gentle flow of water washing down outside the windows.

I'm glad you are not designing the building...

Thunder
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm glad you are not designing the building...

I'm glad you're not either. :LolLolLol

metro
04-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Cuatro is in the architectural field FYI.

Caboose
04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Cuatro is in the architectural field FYI.

That doesn't mean he has good taste.
Just sayin.

CuatrodeMayo
04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
lol...thanks.

OKCisOK4me
04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
That doesn't mean he has good taste.
Just sayin.

Well, I don't think water flowing up and then over the sides of the building and a strobe light flashing random beams at every conceivable angle out into space is good taste either. Just sayin....

PS...it would put window washers out of an awesome job too...

MikeLucky
04-08-2009, 10:33 PM

Yeah! And at the ground level we could have about 12 wacky waiving inflatable arm flailing tube men!!!!! That would really top it off!!!

onZHpGYFPls

hoya
04-09-2009, 08:09 AM
If I was designing it, it would have shag carpeting and woodgrain paneling throughout the entire thing. :D

soonerfever
04-10-2009, 09:24 AM
I would love to see the building have some kind of lighting that made it stand out at night. The BOA building in Dallas is lit from top to bottom with green argon. Even with the building lit all night it still received energy star efficiancy. First and foremost the building needs to be build exacltly how it was presented (of course it could always be bigger!) Once its built then we can all talk about how we want it to look at night. I bet Nichols has something in mind for its lighting though.

BDP
04-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I think the entire exterior should be lit up in flames at night, fueled by natural gas. That way they can burn off some of these reserves and drive back up the price a little bit.

OUGrad05
04-10-2009, 10:09 PM

I want to see a strong blue laser light beams at the top of the tower in random motion. A top to bottom line of blue neon lights on each corner of the tower. Water flow nonstop from top to bottom on all sides. That'd be neat to see a gentle flow of water washing down outside the windows.You make that tower any taller and its going to really make OKC skyline wierd.

SouthsideSooner
04-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I think the entire exterior should be lit up in flames at night, fueled by natural gas. That way they can burn off some of these reserves and drive back up the price a little bit.

The flames should just be on the lower floors shooting down so the building appears to be a rocket being launched. This will heighten the perception of OKC being a "cutting edge, progressive city". It will also encourage peripheral entrepreneurial opportunities for vendors selling marshmallows and wieners. THING BIG! Think Guinness Book of World Records for the biggest hot dog and marshmallow roast around a building that resembles a launching rocket! It's a record that could live indefinitely only to be broken again year after year...

I don't mean to ramble but the creative juices are flowing...

okcpulse
04-10-2009, 11:40 PM
You make that tower any taller and its going to really make OKC skyline wierd.

It would be like the ivory tower in Fantasia. I'd be happy going back to hunting in the land of the purple buffalo.

metro
04-13-2009, 08:48 AM
The flames should just be on the lower floors shooting down so the building appears to be a rocket being launched. This will heighten the perception of OKC being a "cutting edge, progressive city". It will also encourage peripheral entrepreneurial opportunities for vendors selling marshmallows and wieners. THING BIG! Think Guinness Book of World Records for the biggest hot dog and marshmallow roast around a building that resembles a launching rocket! It's a record that could live indefinitely only to be broken again year after year...

I don't mean to ramble but the creative juices are flowing...

Even better, let's paint actual flames on the windows of Devon Tower and a big #8 for all the NASCAR and Bass Pro fans.:beaten_fi

jbrown84
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
It would be like the ivory tower in Fantasia. I'd be happy going back to hunting in the land of the purple buffalo.

http://www.neverendingstory.com/images/Image050.jpg

okcpulse
04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Awesome, jbrown84. Totally awesome.

metro
04-16-2009, 09:04 AM
The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=97779)

Devon Tower architect says project on track, going well despite economy
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record April 16, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Jon Pickard has spent his career designing buildings around the world.

http://www.journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labskc-aia%20talk%2004-16-09.jpg
Jon Pickard, principal of Pickard Chilton, gives an update on the plans for the Devon Energy world headquarters Wednesday to members of the American Institute of Architects Oklahoma chapter. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

When he was hired by Devon Energy Corp. last year to design a world headquarters in downtown Oklahoma City, he knew it needed to be iconic.While the start of construction on the 54-story tower is still at least six months away, Pickard said the planning process has been surprisingly smooth.

“Normally on a project of this size and complexity you reach a moment where you say ‘Oh, my gosh, we’re off track,’ and you have to recalibrate,” he said. “This project has been as graceful and disciplined as any project I have ever touched in my entire career.”

And despite frozen capital markets and a drop in natural gas prices, the company still plans to keep the project on schedule with a completion date of 2012.

Klaholt Kimker, president of Devon Realty Advisors Inc., said work on the tower could begin as soon as October. He said the project can benefit from a slowdown in global construction that has lowered the cost of some building supplies and has freed up a pool of subcontractors from around the country.

The price tag for the project is expected to cost between $750 million and $800 million.
The only activity at the site now is a city project to realign an underground truck dock and move the entrance from Sheridan Avenue to Hudson Avenue.

A detached auditorium that was not part of the original plan when it was introduced in August is on the drawing board at the corner of Sheridan and Hudson avenues.

Pickard said if the company decides to build the auditorium, it will help define the urban face of the project on that corner. Kimker said Devon officials are still trying to determine if the auditorium is a good addition to the site on that corner.

Devon senior officials and the design team meet every two weeks in Houston to discuss the project. When construction on the site begins later this year, the meetings will be moved to Oklahoma City.

Pickard said he has been impressed with the thoroughness of Devon officials and the ability of Devon CEO Larry Nichols to spot even the slightest discrepancy in the drawings and plans.

“You go in prepared and you have the answers,” Pickard said.

With ongoing projects around the globe, Pickard said the Devon project has been an enjoyable process because of the support and encouragement of Devon and the local community.

“It will probably be a decade before I touch a project that is this much fun,” he said.

Pete
04-16-2009, 09:12 AM
A detached auditorium that was not part of the original plan when it was introduced in August is on the drawing board at the corner of Sheridan and Hudson avenues.

Hard to visualize this... If it does get built, I hope it doesn't subtract too much from the public park.

soonerguru
04-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Pete, my thoughts exactly. Sounds like a strange addition.

sgray
04-17-2009, 02:10 AM

This would seem more appropriate to me.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp9/sgrayddsgav/Mordor-3.jpg

Caboose
04-17-2009, 07:45 AM
This would seem more appropriate to me.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp9/sgrayddsgav/Mordor-3.jpg

This is the view looking south... Devon Tower in the foreground with an expanded and flaming Mount Trashmore on I-240 looming in the distance. Surely this is an idea the whole city could get behind.

kevinpate
04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Caboose, a tip of the hat.
THAT
WAS
GREAT!

warreng88
05-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Devon plans to hire Flintco for headquarters project
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record May 21, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Devon Energy’s new headquarters building is a step closer to fruition.

John Wood, vice president and project officer with Hines, the firm handling development of the Devon site, said the company will execute a joint contract with Flintco Inc. and Atlanta-based Holder Construction Co.

With the selection of a general contractor, Wood said the project is on track for completion in late 2012.

In March 2008 Devon CEO Larry Nichols unveiled plans for a 54-story skyscraper and adjoining structures to be the company’s headquarters at a cost of $750 million to $800 million.

The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority controls the land proposed for the Devon site. On Wednesday OCURA commissioners approved design development documents submitted by Devon World Headquarters LLC.

JoeVan Bullard, executive director of OCURA, said this is the time when more definite plans will be presented by Devon and its architecture and development team.

If Devon is able to close on the site Oct. 1, Wood said work would begin immediately on the west side of the City Center parking garage. Plans call for Devon to acquire the five-story garage, add an additional five stories and extend it west to Hudson Avenue.

Construction on the garage is scheduled to start Dec. 1 to remove the existing bridges that connect it to the east wing of the garage, which Devon does not plan to acquire, and begin adding floors. Wood estimated that work will take two months, followed by two more two-month phases that would have the garage completed by June.

The garage will be designed so that it does not give the impression of the back of a building facing west. Instead, Wood said the Devon fitness center will be housed in the garage and look out over Hudson Avenue. On the street level, shallow bays will have storefront glass to display artwork and promote community events.

“We tried to camouflage the garage and create a pedestrian-friendly environment,” Wood said.

As the project moves forward, Wood said the design and development teams are continuing to review every aspect of the plan and holding meetings every two weeks.
“We’ve been at this now for over a year and this design has really evolved a great deal and it continues to evolve,” he said.

http://journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=98847