View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

mburlison
02-23-2012, 06:24 AM
There will be an 'open' period for each of the kind of openings that Pete mentioned, to some extent, but you can bet, after that, access will be very limited to the public. (Unless you have appointments w/ Devon of course). Security will be very high for areas that are non-public. Probably have to buy some sort of ticket to go to the restaurant or observation area.

BoulderSooner
02-23-2012, 07:48 AM
They had said the first employees will move in around March 15th and I can't see how they can possibly do it sooner.

The lobby, rotunda, south entrance and most ground level elements are still a total mess.

a small number of IT staff and some security moved in this week

knightrider
02-23-2012, 07:51 AM
I was driving north on I-35 this morning around 7:15 and was almost blinded by the reflection off the building. Hopefully this will not cause too many accidents this summer! When you get a reflection like I saw this morning it is impossible not to take your eyes off the road and look at the tower.

lasomeday
02-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Yellow crane is pulling apart the last of the red kangaroo crane. Really fun to watch!

G.Walker
02-23-2012, 08:01 AM
with the cranes gone now, the skyline looks older, or is it just me? Seems like Devon Tower has been there all along...

Teo9969
02-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Devon looks a lot bigger without the cranes, particularly in its girth.

redrunner
02-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Does this mean we can finally get a new banner pic for the top of the page?

dankrutka
02-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Devon should charge $20 to go to the roof and donate the money back to finishing Project 180.

Pete
02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
The first four photos are from yesterday, the rest are from today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon22212a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon22212b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon22212c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon22212d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon22312a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon22312b.jpg

UnFrSaKn
02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
I got photos and video at ground level yesterday afternoon. It's at the end of a very long queue now. I'm going back to do a photo shoot at the Civic Center for a friend. I need to "fix" an issue I wound up with with that footage. I'll snap some more photos but no need for video. It's just too much for me. I'll take care of the new banner.

dmoor82
02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
I was at the petroleum club at the 34th floor of the Chase tower on Tuesday and I left my phone down in my truck,I wish I had not cuz there are some awesome views up there!

SoonerBoy18
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
awww look how the old i-40 is completely empty in the background :-( lol

SoonerBoy18
02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Devon should charge $20 to go to the roof and donate the money back to finishing Project 180.

Are they really going to discontinue project 180? I hope not

SoonerBoy18
02-23-2012, 11:54 AM
ESPN is using old footage for the Boston game cause there's traffic both ways on the old I-40 alignment :-(

I think ESPN, TNT, and Fox Sports OK uses live coverage when its playoff season. I hope they really really focus on the Devon tower when they do instead of the state capitol.

G.Walker
02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
I think ESPN, TNT, and Fox Sports OK uses live coverage when its playoff season. I hope they really really focus on the Devon tower when they do instead of the state capitol.

Yes, they all use old stock footage, its prettying irritating to see the same stock footage every ESPN game. However, ESPN is the most up to date. TNT still uses some stock footage showing the skyline when it had four cranes, and Devon Tower was barely rising, I'm like really. And Fox Sports Ok has some footage they use with no Devon Tower or cranes at all.

I think they should update skyline video footage at the beginning of the season, and jut before the playoffs, with daytime and nighttime shots...

Teo9969
02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Ideally they wait until Devon has their LED lights fully functioning to re-shoot footage.

SoonerBoy18
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Yes, they all use old stock footage, its prettying irritating to see the same stock footage every ESPN game. However, ESPN is the most up to date. TNT still uses some stock footage showing the skyline when it had four cranes, and Devon Tower was barely rising, I'm like really. And Fox Sports Ok has some footage they use with no Devon Tower or cranes at all.

I think they should update skyline video footage at the beginning of the season, and jut before the playoffs, with daytime and nighttime shots...

I feel the same way you do. They should really update them especially TNT and ESPN. I love when they play their NBA theme song as they are showing our city. It looks like they use live coverage every single time when a game is played in Miami or Los Angelas

BDP
02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I noticed last week they used a shot of the fountain in lower bricktown from years ago. There was no sign of the Devon tower in it at all. Funny how dated it already looked.

Debzkidz
02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I noticed last night that they were showing a few of what appeared to be live shots of people walking outside, about to go into the arena. They had on short sleeved shirts, maybe light jackets as would have been appropriate yesterday. Then a few minutes later they showed people actually coming through the doors on the inside, and they were all dressed in coats and scarves.

OKCisOK4me
02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Around 12:45 today...crane hoist just had the white cab on the top of it.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/OkStateBBall78/1330037210.jpg

MDot
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Devon looks a lot bigger without the cranes, particularly in its girth.

I cannot explain how accurate you are, IMO!

soonerwilliam
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Could someone get a picture of the skyline since the cranes are down. Would appreciate it! Thanks

metro
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Could someone get a picture of the skyline since the cranes are down. Would appreciate it! Thanks
I took about 40 new pics today, including some from above and inside. Will try to post today or tomorrow.

OKCisOK4me
02-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I took about 40 new pics today, including some from above and inside. Will try to post today or tomorrow.

Apparently no one likes my artistic pictures so that would be AWESOME!

I'm going back downtown after work tonight to watch the game at Joey's Pizzaria with some friends. I'll attempt to get some night shots with my phone. We'll see how they turn out.

MDot
02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Apparently no one likes my artistic pictures so that would be AWESOME!

I like your artistic pictures, OKC. =)

Mike63
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
I cannot explain how accurate you are, IMO!

I also noticed it looks larger now without the cranes. I come into the city from the east and the sunrises look awesome on the building. It is a beautiful building all around!!!

MikeOKC
02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
When the renderings all came out I remember how we were all talking about how it will dwarf the existing skyline. But, wow, with it actually built it looks even bigger and the others look so much smaller. But, does it look beautiful or what?

MDot
02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
When the renderings all came out I remember how we were all talking about how it will dwarf the existing skyline. But, wow, with it actually built it looks even bigger and the others look so much smaller. But, does it look beautiful or what?

Agreed, but in a good way.

BrettM2
02-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Want to go into a time machine? Go to Google Maps and zoom in to the Devon site. The closest image popped up the old garage that was there before any type of work done on the site.

metro
02-23-2012, 08:26 PM
No thanks, I prefer my Delorean.

okcpulse
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Great Scott there was a short in the time circuits. Damn damn.

yukong
02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Ok. TNT needs some new city shots. They just cut to commercial and showed a night scene of downtown with traffic speeding by, and the Devon Tower was not yet built. You could see the tower cranes had just been installed, but no Devon tower. That was what, 2 years ago? That's pretty bad. Spend a few minutes and shoot some new stock footage.

Watson410
02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
This question may have already be asked but, how long does the whole programming the LED's usually take? Also, Do you think it will be green most every night or maybe a Thunder blue? I kind of hope we don't go with green only because there's already a green skyscraper 3 hours south. I think a Hyper White/Blueish White would look pretty sweet and very clean. Thoughts?

ljbab728
02-23-2012, 10:21 PM
awww look how the old i-40 is completely empty in the background :-( lol

Did you notice that in the fourth pic that Pete posted there are a couple of people either walking or biking on the off ramp from the old I40?

UnFrSaKn
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
I've been taking a lot of photos with my new camera but I literally pass out from exhaustion after I get home. It gets worse as the week goes on. Like today I wanted to finish and post the video from a week ago but fell asleep. Now it's after midnight...

They could always use my footage... That'll never happen.

Teo9969
02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I've been taking a lot of photos with my new camera but I literally pass out from exhaustion after I get home. It gets worse as the week goes on. Like today I wanted to finish and post the video from a week ago but fell asleep. Now it's after midnight...

They could always use my footage... That'll never happen.

I wonder if you could start a business leasing stock footage to TV stations for various events...

Snowman
02-23-2012, 11:25 PM
This question may have already be asked but, how long does the whole programming the LED's usually take? Also, Do you think it will be green most every night or maybe a Thunder blue? I kind of hope we don't go with green only because there's already a green skyscraper 3 hours south. I think a Hyper White/Blueish White would look pretty sweet and very clean. Thoughts?

Red is the primary accent color in their logo and shows up more frequently than other accent colors in documents, though probably will at least vary for special occasions/seasons. Rotating the colors periodically would make the LEDs last longer, plus why would you pay extra for them to have the full spectrum vs just throwing filters over a white light if they did not intend to vary it up a little.

G.Walker
02-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Ok. TNT needs some new city shots. They just cut to commercial and showed a night scene of downtown with traffic speeding by, and the Devon Tower was not yet built. You could see the tower cranes had just been installed, but no Devon tower. That was what, 2 years ago? That's pretty bad. Spend a few minutes and shoot some new stock footage.

I think its Fox Sports Ok who provides video footage to the national stations like ESPN and TNT. Because I have seen some of the same video footage on Fox Sports Ok, that was used in ESPN and TNT broadcasts. I also noticed that TNT only showed one aerial shot of downtown, that was it. Fox Sports OK needs to take some time now that the cranes are gone, and take some good daytime, evening, and night aerial shots, so we can have some updates footage for the playoffs. It is depressing now to see the Oklahoma City skyline on national TV without Devon Tower!

SharkSandwich
02-24-2012, 08:40 AM
I think its Fox Sports Ok who provides video footage to the national stations like ESPN and TNT. Because I have seen some of the same video footage on Fox Sports Ok, that was used in ESPN and TNT broadcasts. I also noticed that TNT only showed one aerial shot of downtown, that was it. Fox Sports OK needs to take some time now that the cranes are gone, and take some good daytime, evening, and night aerial shots, so we can have some updates footage for the playoffs. It is depressing now to see the Oklahoma City skyline on national TV without Devon Tower!

TNT's shot of the grassy, undeveloped portion of the canal is depressing too. There is a "For Lease" sign in the foreground of the shot. It is terrible looking.

Bellaboo
02-24-2012, 08:43 AM

I thought I read on one of these threads where the chamber actually supplies the footage to the networks for the national broadcasts ?

UnFrSaKn
02-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Part of what I do is to help change people's perception of the city who don't live here. I wouldn't know how to go about getting it out there besides posting it here and the other forums. It feels like half the objective is unfulfilled.

metro
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
No offense to Will but I work around this industry so I can provide a little insight. Most B roll is done by networks, Chamber of Commerce, or bought on stock photo/video sites. The best any of us can probably do is upload quality pics/video to stock sites, and offer them license for CHEAP,otherwise, it won't get purchased much, if any.

Getting it used for major networks probably isn't realistic. Will would need tens of thousands of dollars in equipment and software to do this kind of work. Getting it used in smaller production would be possible and is the best route for changing perceptions.

G.Walker
02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
What about Cooper Ross and is company goivm.com they do some good work, and he is always taking aerials of the OKC skyline. The first step would to get in touch with Fox Sports Ok...., then go from there...

LordGerald
02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
okcBIZ News Story from this morn:

Dining at Devon

Devon Energy Corp. plans to open a full-service restaurant and banquet space in the top two floors of its 50-story office tower, in addition to a food court in its adjoining garden wing.
Company officials said Vast, a high-end restaurant concept on the 49th floor, will offer American fare including steaks, seafood, a full bar and breathtaking views.

Link: http://okc.biz/oklahoma/article-6126-dining-at-devon.html

Just the facts
02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
very cool.

Pete
02-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for that find LordGerald! I'm pasting the whole article here because there is tons of information and links often end up broken.

Dining at Devon

The oil and gas company is serving up a pot full of options
Devon Energy Corp. plans to open a full-service restaurant and banquet space in the top two floors of its 50-story office tower, in addition to a food court in its adjoining garden wing.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/vast.jpg

Company officials said Vast, a high-end restaurant concept on the 49th floor, will offer American fare including steaks, seafood, a full bar and breathtaking views. It is scheduled to open early this fall. Nebu, in the adjoining garden wing on ground level, will offer a variety of food stations, and is set to open March 19, followed by a coffee café in April. All of the dining concepts will be open to the public.

Vast will include seating for 135 and additional private dining rooms; the bar will seat 41.

“There are no unimpeded views in this space,” said John Williams, president of Williams & Associates Hospitality, who oversees food and beverage operations in the tower and the ground-level rotunda.

When looking at options for the top of the tower, Devon Executive Vice President of Administration R. Alan Marcum said company officials went through months of planning. He said options included more office space, an observation deck or a private club. In the end, he said they decided to welcome the public and create the restaurant and rentable banquet space high above the city.

Company officials were not interested in getting into the hospitality business, so they hired Williams and chef Andrew Black, both from the Skirvin Hilton Hotel. Nebu will be operated by corporate dining company Guckenheimer Enterprises, based in Redwood Shores, Calif.

“We’re an oil and gas company,” Marcum said. “We’ve hired two highly reputable companies to come in to help manage our food, beverage and hospitality business. They’re the experts, not us.”

Williams estimates he will have a staff of about 225.

below A rendering of Nebu, the food court and dining area in the garden wing of Devon World Headquarters. It is set to open March 19, with an illy coffee shop set to open there in April.

http://okc.biz/oklahoma/imgs/media.images/1452/neburestaurantdevontower.jpg

Looking to make Vast inclusive, pricing was a top priority. Williams said the restaurant and banquet space is there to make a profit, but that is not the sole driver. Instead, he said Devon wanted a place where a person did not have to be a sophisticated millionaire or obtain a bank loan to get seated. He wants Ma and Pa Kettle to feel just as welcome as Richie Rich.

“We are not going to overprice the market just because we’re at the top of the building,” he said. “We want to be priced to the market.”

Pricing is still in the works, but Williams said it will be comparable to other high-end restaurants around town. He said a couple easily can dine for less than $100, and items will be available for the budget-conscious, as well as big spenders.

“Will we have a $7 glass of wine? Absolutely,” he said. “Will we have a $17 glass of wine? Probably.”

below Rendering of one seating area for Nebu in the Devon World Headquarters.

http://okc.biz/oklahoma/imgs/media.images/1453/neburestaurantdevontower2.jpg

For those looking to spend more, Vast will be equipped to comply.

“If you want to go in there and spend a lot of money and drive the experience, we have the capacity to deliver that for you,” he said. “But the intent is to manage the price.”

While reservations will not be required, Williams said it will be highly recommended. Vast has not yet begun taking reservations.

On the 50th floor, the largest banquet space will hold about 260. Air wall dividers will come down from the ceiling to cordon off rooms for small-, medium- and large-sized gatherings. Williams said they will be available for everything from a meeting for two to a wedding, banquet or reception. If someone so desires, they can rent the entire floor. Williams & Associates will handle bookings through its website, and Williams said people already have begun making reservations.

To get guests in and out quickly, two express elevators will zip passengers from the lobby to the 49th and 50th floors. To handle larger crowds, eight elevators can quickly be converted to express elevators to serve those two floors, Marcum said.

Nebu will offer seating for 455. Chefs at food stations will prepare items ranging from soups and sandwiches to pizza and sushi. A large salad bar will be anchored in the middle of the space. Guckenheimer also will bring an illy-branded café, a line of gourmet Italian coffees and accessories. It will open to the south onto a lawn and additional patio and park seating.

Vast will offer dinner Monday through Saturday evenings. Nebu will be open for breakfast and lunch five days a week, and the illy café will be open throughout the morning, afternoon and early evening on weekdays. Pricing and exact hours are still being determined for all of the food and beverage options, Williams said.

Plans for dining and foodservice concepts for the Colcord Hotel, owned by Devon, are in the works. Williams said he will discuss details soon about the Colcord.

kevinpate
02-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Each time I hear something about the upcoming dining options, I am more impressed by the direction they are taking.

Pete
02-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Fatastic news all around. Devon continues to not only do things first class, but make things as inclusive as possible.

And it's awesome they are opening their food court March 19th. Something to go see in less than a month.

MDot
02-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I LOVE what I'm seeing.

Pete
02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
From this image, it looks like there will be internal LED lighting that will shine out into the lobby and be visible through the front glass:

http://okc.biz/oklahoma/imgs/media.images/1453/neburestaurantdevontower2.jpg

metro
02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=Pete Brzycki;512452]From this image, it looks like there will be internal LED lighting that will shine out into the lobby and be visible through the front glass:

Got some interior shots of this space yesterday, they are almost done. Appears the lighting is LED. With the finishing, still no furniture yet. I'm glad Devon is doing it right and opening to the public at reasonable price points. They could have easily made Vast an uber exclusive restaurant, although the market probably isn't ready to sustain one yet.

The Food court doesn't surprise me, seems very similar in concept to what CHK has done,except they have more options. CHK offers a first class experience for reasonable price, and I'm sure they absorb some of the cost. Can't wait to get to check it out. go Devon! I still have about 40+ pics of Devon to post from yesterday, most from never before seen angles or progress.

Pete
02-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Metro, you can email me the photos and I'll post them if that makes it easier.

Are any of CHK's restaurants/cafes open to the public?

SoonerBoy18
02-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Did you notice that in the fourth pic that Pete posted there are a couple of people either walking or biking on the off ramp from the old I40?

Yeah, i heard that it was going to open on the weekind where people can walk on it and take pictures

metro
02-24-2012, 03:04 PM
On certain days, you can go with an employee, so I've gone with friends who are. Should have taken pics, next time I will. Pete, I can upload to mt Dropbox real quick and you can post. PM me your email, not sure if I still have it.

SoonerBoy18
02-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Besides TNT's coverage I think Fox Sports OK has the WORST views of the city.

Pete
02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
On certain days, you can go with an employee, so I've gone with friends who are.

Yet another big difference between Chesapeake and DVN. Devon goes out of their way to embrace the community and make their facilities open and priced for all, and CHK creates a compound exclusively for their own use.

Teo9969
02-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Being in the service industry, I'm intensely interested in the development of Vast.

They make it sound like they are already well on there way in the planning stages. Will this be open before the year is out?

EDIT: Nevermind, found my answer

metro
02-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Yet another big difference between Chesapeake and DVN. Devon goes out of their way to embrace the community and make their facilities open and priced for all, and CHK creates a compound exclusively for their own use.
Very true, although in fairness, I think location has some to do with that. I doubt Google allows public to interact with its suburban campus, but since DVN is in a very public area, it's almost expected on some level, being in a DT environment.

UnFrSaKn
02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
More photos today after work. Clouds were perfect. Got a lot of skyline shots. It's at the end of a very long queue now.

Pete
02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Good points but it also has to be said that Chesapeake chose a location that would isolate them while Devon chose a location that would allow them to bring the public into their facilities.