View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

CuatrodeMayo
01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
With the drop in construction prices do anyone think there might be a chance this building tops 1000'.

No.

Kerry
01-18-2009, 10:55 PM
If I am not mistaken wasn't there still some uncertainty about what the top of the building looks like. We are only talking another 50 feet or so to top 1000'. Even if it didn't result in more floors, a short spire could put it over 1000'.

OKC74
01-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Kerry - I agree! Why not do this and make it just a TAD taller!? But in all honesty...I'm so happy that Devon is making this investment in downtown and in Oklahoma City in general. It will be great for the city...in multiple ways!!

Kerry
01-18-2009, 11:39 PM
...I'm so happy that Devon is making this investment in downtown and in Oklahoma City in general. It will be great for the city...in multiple ways!!

I am with you on that. Just 5 years ago I was excited about 2 five story parking garages. That puts things in perspective.

OKC74
01-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Ha - so true! I remember asking a few people that work in OKC media a few years ago if they thought we'd EVER see a new highrise downtown...and their answer? A resounding...NO!! LOL.

jbrown84
01-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Don't change it. It looks good the way it is.

bombermwc
01-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah I'd hate to see them cheese it up by slapping something on at the end. It's already going to be twice as tall as anything else. Do we really need to stand out any more? It's already going to be iconic, so why not leave it alone? We don't really get any super prize for being 1000' or anything.

edcrunk
01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah I'd hate to see them cheese it up by slapping something on at the end. It's already going to be twice as tall as anything else. Do we really need to stand out any more? It's already going to be iconic, so why not leave it alone? We don't really get any super prize for being 1000' or anything.
agreed... we should be more than happy with what we are getting.

dmoor82
01-23-2009, 08:38 AM
I hope there will not be decades between the next built highrise after the devon tower!We need a couple of 650ft+ and 1 really tall residential(500ft)!

Thunder
01-23-2009, 06:50 PM
This would be fun on top of the tower. :LolLolLol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSOKHvc9Obw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSOKHvc9Obw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dmoor82
01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
WOW! that looks fun,but i'd be happy with an obervation deck!

OKCDrummer77
01-23-2009, 11:02 PM
This would be fun on top of the tower. :LolLolLol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSOKHvc9Obw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSOKHvc9Obw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm actually going to Vegas next month. I am definitely riding that!

Richard at Remax
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I rode all three of those rides at the top of the stratosphere. Insanity (the one that looks like a big claw that spins around) is ridiculous. i was holding on so tight my palms were sweating. nothing like spinning 1000 feet in the air.

SouthsideSooner
01-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I love those rides that high up. It certainly adds to the thrill. The Big Shot was my favorite...

The Thrill Ride that Touches the Sky!

Strap in to the Big Shot and prepare to be shot 160 feet in the air at 45 miles per hour as you overlook the majestic Las Vegas Valley. In a matter of seconds, the Big Shot thrill ride catapults 16 riders from the 921-foot high platform up the Tower's mast to a height of 1,081 feet and down again. Before you catch your breath, you'll be shot back up again! Experience a gut-wrenching four 'G's of force on the way up, and feel negative 'G's on the way down as your legs dangle in the Las Vegas skyline.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WO3CI3OojNo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WO3CI3OojNo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thunder
01-24-2009, 05:28 PM
SouthsideSooner,

Devon can easily add that ride to touch 1,000'.

CuatrodeMayo
01-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Allright...time to close this thread.

Thunder
01-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Allright...time to close this thread.

Why? Devon Tower is not completed yet.

andimthomas
01-24-2009, 11:22 PM
I'd like to see how long this thread gets when the tower is actually completed.

OKC74
01-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Cuatro - I agree...if what you mean is...let's get back on track!! LOL...although it is easy to get sidetracked...

Richard at Remax
01-25-2009, 12:49 PM
i think the thread should be renamed devon tower discussion and when construction starts then you start an official constuction thread like they do on skyscraperpage.com

sethsrott
01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Devon Continues with Future Projects
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 04:13 PM

By Alex Cameron, NEWS 9

Devon's Chairman and CEO said the company will reduce its drilling activity this year, but unless energy prices hit rock-bottom, they will continue moving forward, as scheduled, with longer-term projects.

"2009 is going to be a tough year for everybody. We're not immune from that. We'll certainly have to reduce our budget some," Nichols said.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- 2009 is expected to be a challenging year for businesses, even in "recession-proof" Oklahoma City. The economy has many concerned the city will lose its forward momentum.

Devon Energy is one of the city's most critical businesses, with close to 2,000 employees. Devon's Chairman and CEO Larry Nichols said, despite the economy, plans for a new building and expansions haven't changed.

"2009 is going to be a tough year for everybody. We're not immune from that. We'll certainly have to reduce our budget some," Nichols said.

Devon's Chairman and CEO said the company will reduce its drilling activity this year, but unless energy prices hit rock-bottom, they will continue moving forward, as scheduled, with longer-term projects like the construction of Devon's new headquarters.

"It's a long-term project. We said it would take a year to plan it and three years to build it, so we're still on that schedule," Nichols said.

Since the building's conceptual design was unveiled last August, architects have been refining it, getting it ready for actual construction. Nichols said expansion of the west galleria parking lot will begin this summer, while work on the massive tower should commence soon after.

"This fall, 2009, we will start demolition for part of the site where the tower's going to go, so we can build the piers to support the building," Devon's Chairman and CEO said.

A $750 million project that will be 54 stories high. Nichols said they haven't cut the height of the building, but they are looking at ways to save money on the project, and are carefully watching spending.

Still, Nichols said they won't cut any figurative corners on the project, just as they haven't with the business.

"We're certainly having bad times in this country, but Devon will be able to continue with all our essential programs, and be in even better shape when this economy rebounds, which it will," Nichols said.

In the meantime, Nichols said, construction costs are coming down, which is a great help in getting the building built on schedule. The plan is for Devon employees to move into the new headquarters building in the winter of 2012-20

dmoor82
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Devon Continues with Future Projects
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 04:13 PM

By Alex Cameron, NEWS 9

Devon's Chairman and CEO said the company will reduce its drilling activity this year, but unless energy prices hit rock-bottom, they will continue moving forward, as scheduled, with longer-term projects.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- 2009 is expected to be a challenging year for businesses, even in "recession-proof" Oklahoma City. The economy has many concerned the city will lose its forward momentum.

Devon Energy is one of the city's most critical businesses, with close to 2,000 employees. Devon's Chairman and CEO Larry Nichols said, despite the economy, plans for a new building and expansions haven't changed.

Devon's Chairman and CEO said the company will reduce its drilling activity this year, but unless energy prices hit rock-bottom, they will continue moving forward, as scheduled, with longer-term projects like the construction of Devon's new headquarters.

"It's a long-term project. We said it would take a year to plan it and three years to build it, so we're still on that schedule," Nichols said.

Since the building's conceptual design was unveiled last August, architects have been refining it, getting it ready for actual construction. Nichols said expansion of the west galleria parking lot will begin this summer, while work on the massive tower should commence soon after.

"This fall, 2009, we will start demolition for part of the site where the tower's going to go, so we can build the piers to support the building," Devon's Chairman and CEO said.

A $750 million project that will be 54 stories high. Nichols said they haven't cut the height of the building, but they are looking at ways to save money on the project, and are carefully watching spending.

Still, Nichols said they won't cut any figurative corners on the project, just as they haven't with the business.

"We're certainly having bad times in this country, but Devon will be able to continue with all our essential programs, and be in even better shape when this economy rebounds, which it will," Nichols said.

In the meantime, Nichols said, construction costs are coming down, which is a great help in getting the building built on schedule. The plan is for Devon employees to move into the new headquarters building in the winter of 2012-20

I hope they will not cut corners with building the devon tower:doh:

BDP
01-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Sound like they might actually be able to afford to do more...

Worst case is that they expand the parking garage and don't build a tower. It'd be urban renewal all over again: more parking, less places to go after you park...

colest7678
01-26-2009, 02:26 PM
I hope they will not cut corners with building the devon tower:doh:

"Still, Nichols said they won't cut any figurative corners on the project, just as they haven't with the business."

Did you even read that?

dmoor82
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
i think the thread should be renamed devon tower discussion and when construction starts then you start an official constuction thread like they do on skyscraperpage.com

I would like to see this also!

i'd also like to see more of an OKC presence on skyscrapercity!:kicking:

Platemaker
01-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Proof that this is moving forward:

The construction going on behind the downtown library is related to the building.

Other updates:

The Colcord will be connected to the Devon tower on the Basement lever, ground floor, and second floor.

sethsrott
01-28-2009, 01:07 PM

The construction going on behind the downtown library is related to the building.

Other updates:

The Colcord will be connected to the Devon tower on the Basement lever, ground floor, and second floor.

This is great news, how do you know this?

metro
01-28-2009, 01:11 PM

Other updates:

How is it proof without proof of the proof? :LolLolLol

Platemaker
01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
LOL... I have to pull a metro on this... "I can't tell you how I know" ...very sorry.

jbrown.... help me out.... !!!

Platemaker
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Ok...

I work at _____________ and work with people from ________ and _________ on a daily basis. They have been surveying ________ and _________ recently, and have been having conversations and showing plans for ____________ for which I was lucky enough to be around at the time.

warreng88
01-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Ok...

I work at _____________ and work with people from ________ and _________ on a daily basis. They have been surveying ________ and _________ recently, and have been having conversations and showing plans for ____________ for which I was lucky enough to be around at the time.

Great, I love Madlibs!!!!

Here is mine:

I work at toilet and work with people from Sun and Moon on a daily basis. They have been surveying Itchy and Scratchy recently, and have been having conversations and showing plans for ME for which I was lucky enough to be around at the time.

How close was I?

Platemaker
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Love it!

metro
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM
fair enough

danielf1935
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Having the Colcord connected to the new Devon Tower is a no-brainer, being that Devon owns the Colcord

jbrown84
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
jbrown.... help me out.... !!!

I have no idea what you are talking about.

j/k. He's completely right.

OKC74
02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I guess there's no new news since this thread is inching closer to the bottom of the 2nd page...LOL... But no news is good news!!

Architect2010
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
i'd also like to see more of an OKC presence on skyscrapercity!:kicking:

Ditto. We need to band together and promote OKC on national sites as well. You can carry the same topics here on there while letting people across the nation in on our city and its related discussions.

Theres probably 5 active people on there and Skyscraperpage. Its pathetic.

I'd support okctalk over that anyday, but still.

Richard at Remax
02-04-2009, 08:00 AM
whats wrong with the southwest forum on skyscraperpage is that if you say something positive about your city, it turns into "well San Antonio has this and is better or Austin has this and is better".

if you have been on there then you know what Im talking about.

warreng88
02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
The most important part of this article as it relates to the building is toward the end:

Devon Energy reports record loss
BY RANDY ELLIS

Published: February 4, 2009

Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy Corp. today reported a record $6.8 billion loss for the fourth quarter of 2008 — a sudden turn of events since the company reported a record $2.6 billion profit the previous quarter.

The $6.8 billion quarterly loss amounted to $15.42 per common share. For the year, Devon lost $2.1billion, or $4.85 a share. That was also a record.

Devon stock was trading down more than 5 percent in mid-morning trading as financial results did not meet analysts expectations.

The dramatic reversal at Devon is not the result of any major change in the way the company does business, said Vince White, Devon's senior vice president of investor relations. Instead, he said it is a reflection of oil prices that plunged from about $140 a barrel in mid-2008 to about $40 a barrel at the end of the year.

Securities and Exchange Commission rules required the company to value its oil and natural gas properties based on oil and gas prices on Dec. 31, resulting in a $7.1 billion non-cash charge, White said.

Accounting rules will change next year so that oil and gas properties will be valued at average prices throughout the year. Had those rules been in effect this year, Devon would not have had a loss, he said.

Despite the fourth quarter loss, Devon remains in good financial shape, White said.

Devon, Oklahoma's largest publicly traded company, has more than $3 billion in cash and unused credit lines and the non-cash charge does not impact the company's cash flow, cash position or access to credit lines, he said.

“It does not change the value of what we own at all,” White said. “It is purely an artifact of accounting.”

J. Larry Nichols, Devon's chairman and chief executive officer, was similarly optimistic about the company's underlying performance last year and its prospects for the future.

“Despite the effects of the sharp fourth-quarter declines in oil and natural gas prices, 2008 was a very successful year for the company,” Nichols said. “Cash flow reached an all-time record of nearly $10 billion. We increased oil and gas production by six percent and drilled 2,441 wells with a 98 percent success rate. In addition, we added 584 million barrels of proved reserves before price revisions at a very attractive cost per barrel.”

White said the loss does not alter Devon's plans to build a new office skyscraper in downtown Oklahoma City.

“We will need this building to accommodate our future growth,” he said.

http://newsok.com/article/3343215

metro
02-04-2009, 09:50 AM
warreng, what is the source of that article, you didn't cite your source

Richard at Remax
02-04-2009, 09:56 AM
it's from newsok.com

warreng88
02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
warreng, what is the source of that article, you didn't cite your source

Fixed it, thanks for the heads up.

SouthsideSooner
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
This has everything to do with the decline in the price of oil and very little to do with Devons performance as a company...

The dramatic reversal at Devon is not the result of any major change in the way the company does business, said Vince White, Devon's senior vice president of investor relations. Instead, he said it is a reflection of oil prices that plunged from about $140 a barrel in mid-2008 to about $40 a barrel at the end of the year.

Securities and Exchange Commission rules required the company to value its oil and natural gas properties based on oil and gas prices on Dec. 31, resulting in a $7.1 billion non-cash charge, White said.

Accounting rules will change next year so that oil and gas properties will be valued at average prices throughout the year. Had those rules been in effect this year, Devon would not have had a loss, he said.

OKC74
02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Even with them saying that they have no plans to alter their plans on the building...is anyone else worried? What if prices keep DROPPING??

sethsrott
02-05-2009, 10:24 PM
No I don't really fear it. Prices have, for the most part stabilized. Devon is a massive company, spread over three (is it four) different buildings downtown, efficiency is key in maintaining competitiveness, I have observed loads of Devon employees walking the concourse, to get from one building to another, that is time, that if added up over loads of employees that are being paid to walk from one building to another. (Very nicely I might add)

I think that Larry and the board understand that THEY stand to benefit from the completion of their tower. They have put off the construction of it so that it would benefit Downtown AND Devon. These plans have been made long ago, and I don't see them scraping them because of a slight change in trends.

mcgrawsdad
02-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Oil won't keep dropping. Opec is about to make more cuts...it will keep prices stable at best, but imo, we will have $60 bbl by the 4th of July.

ndmoore
02-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Devon is a massive company, spread over three (is it four) different buildings downtown,

It is 6 buildings now.

DaveSkater
02-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Yes, as far as all my construction indicators point, they will be building it. My company is in talks for the electrical portion of the job. They already hired a construction manager, and the drawings are well underway, if not nearly complete. They're on track to do this thing!

okcpulse
02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Even with them saying that they have no plans to alter their plans on the building...is anyone else worried? What if prices keep DROPPING??

If they do keep dropping then those involved in the market need to back to school. Oil is a finite resource, and to under-value a finite resource regardless of demand is a move that will bite in the ass severely in the near future.

jmlight
02-06-2009, 09:43 AM
They've closed down Harvey south of Park (where it feeds the City Center Parking Garage). Not sure if it has anything to do with building construction.

hoya
02-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Oil is a finite resource. So is the sun. Both will eventually run out.

Oil priced at $50 a barrel is historically quite high. It's just not as high as we saw last year. It's like someone is kicking you in the nuts. They stop, and then start punching you in the face. It still hurts, but not nearly as much as it did.

Devon can still make lots of money with oil at its current price. If oil drops below $20/barrel, that's when we should start to worry.

TStheThird
02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Historically, China and India (37% of the world's population) did not consume oil like they do now.

In 1980, China consumed 1.694 mb/d (2.7%); in 2006 it consumed 7.445 mb/d or 8.9%. In 1980, India consumed 0.643 mb/d or 1.0% of the world's total; in 2006 it consumed 2.575 mb/d or 3.1% of the world's total.

If their economies continue to grow, we will see oil well into the hundreds again. This worldwide recession will keep oil somewhat low, but as soon as the world economy recovers, oil consumption will rise as fast as China and India rise. Price will follow.

OUGrad05
02-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Oil is a finite resource. So is the sun. Both will eventually run out.

Oil priced at $50 a barrel is historically quite high. It's just not as high as we saw last year. It's like someone is kicking you in the nuts. They stop, and then start punching you in the face. It still hurts, but not nearly as much as it did.

Devon can still make lots of money with oil at its current price. If oil drops below $20/barrel, that's when we should start to worry.

Inflation adjusted 50 dollars a barrel is not quite high.

Its high compared with the 90s which was a period of artificially depressed prices due to a variety of factors.

A LOT of projects are not profitable at 50 dollar or less oil. Once the world economy rebounds prices will bounce back to a more reasonable level, probably somewhere in the 70 to 90 range and hopefully the SEC will overhaul their rules so that speculators must put 20% money in the pot instead of the 10% it is currently at. That would help decrease some of the volatility.

OUGrad05
02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Historically, China and India (37% of the world's population) did not consume oil like they do now.

In 1980, China consumed 1.694 mb/d (2.7%); in 2006 it consumed 7.445 mb/d or 8.9%. In 1980, India consumed 0.643 mb/d or 1.0% of the world's total; in 2006 it consumed 2.575 mb/d or 3.1% of the world's total.

If their economies continue to grow, we will see oil well into the hundreds again. This worldwide recession will keep oil somewhat low, but as soon as the world economy recovers, oil consumption will rise as fast as China and India rise. Price will follow.

bingo

dmoor82
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
any1 worried about this tower not being built?Or alterations to it or height reductions?I personally think it will be built by 2013(early) and the TIF already passed and the colcord was already bought so not too much to worry about-right?

jbrown84
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Why do people keep asking the same question? We've been over this...

Thunder
02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, they do have plenty of cash reserved for the tower, so it should go as planned. I dunno why they would reduce anything, cuz the prices is pretty good for Devon, so they should be increasing more features (hopefully).

fromdust
02-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, they do have plenty of cash reserved for the tower, so it should go as planned. I dunno why they would reduce anything, cuz the prices is pretty good for Devon, so they should be increasing more features (hopefully).

thats what i think. if they have all that cash on hand, this is the perfect time to build since all construction materials are down and will continue to creep down over the course of the year. they will end up spending less than the estimated $750 million.

Free Steel Price Charts (http://metalprices.com/pubcharts/Public/SteelBenchmarker_Steel_Price_Charts.asp?WeightSele ct=&SizeSelect=&ccs=&cid=)
Recession KO&rsquo;s Inflation in 2009 | ENR: Engineering News Record | McGraw-Hill Construction (http://enr.construction.com/business_management/finance/2008/1217-RecessionKOsInflation.asp)

Thunder
02-12-2009, 02:09 AM
True. And the construction companies will be bidding like crazy to get those jobs.

Thx to Devon, thats more jobs in OKC. More taxes locally, further helping the economy floating.

sethsrott
02-12-2009, 06:56 AM
I propose we lock this thread...I am so tired of every six posts it seems like, someone is asking "Is anyone worried?"

PLEASE READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!