View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

metro
11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Kerry have you even visited OKC in person since it has been built? Photos only do so much from other angles it looks fine and even impressive.

SkyWestOKC
11-18-2011, 01:58 PM
The only time it looks out of place is 4-5+ miles out. When you get closer and start looking up, it looks fine. From the air it looks amazing.

Just the facts
11-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Kerry have you even visited OKC in person since it has been built? Photos only do so much from other angles it looks fine and even impressive.

No, the last time I saw it the building was probably 2 stories. However, SkyWest is right - it probaby does look better when you can't see it in its totality and setting (i.e up close).

MDot
11-18-2011, 02:06 PM
I used Philadelphia as an example since that's where Kerry has been and am aware that there was a height restriction of 548-ft since that is how tall city hall is and it wasn't until 1987 that they broke that agreement and built a building taller than 548-ft but they still built a lot of 400-ft highrises during the time that they had the height restriction. In other words, you are correct metro, which I know you knew you were. LOL but a better example would have been Los Angeles' skyline. Their 2nd tallest is 858-ft tall but their tallest is 1,018-ft tall. However, they also have 19 buildings between 500-ft and 844-ft, which is the difference between Chase/Liberty/Cotter and Devon obviously. So basing off of Los Angeles' buildings we definately need quite a bit of infill. But we most certainly are not on Los Angeles' level or can even breathe on them as they are the 2nd largest city in America and have a trailer load of more/bigger companies HQ there than Oklahoma City does.

Like I said before though, I don't think we'll get a 1,000-ft here, I just like to compare and imagine which is all this is. =)

Bellaboo
11-18-2011, 02:30 PM
No, the last time I saw it the building was probably 2 stories. However, SkyWest is right - it probaby does look better when you can't see it in its totality and setting (i.e up close).

From the Northeast, it does not stand out bad at all, kind of fits right in. It's very impressive coming from the East. The only view it looks out of place is from the due West, just because of it's massive bulk of the building. From that one view point, it looks out of place to me, but the others are just fine. Just my simple opinion......

Pete
11-18-2011, 02:54 PM
From today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon1118.jpg

Pete
11-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Also, notice you can see the connection to the Colcord in this cropped version:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/colcord1118.jpg

MDot
11-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Pete! It's been awhile since I last seen it from this angle and man it sure is a beautiful building!!

dankrutka
11-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Devon looks great. OKC could definitely use some complimenting towers, but I don't think the World Trade Centers ruined NYC. They towered over everything. BTW, Devon looks best up close. Go stand in Myriad Gardens. Looks great.

Dustin
11-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I wonder how tall the highest crane is?

MDot
11-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I wonder how tall the highest crane is?

1,080-ft I think. I'm not sure but I remember someone said the last crane jump will be 1,080-ft.

dmoor82
11-18-2011, 07:51 PM
^^Correct!my neighbor is a crane operator and he told me 1080'ft long before it was jumped!

shawnw
11-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I saw some odd lighting on the north side crown this morning when coming to work. It will be interesting to see that at night. It seemed like regular incandescent lighting spaced evenly in an almost grid pattern. Not the bright construction lights we are used to.

From about 30 minutes ago (sorry about the quality, this is taken with a 7 year old digital camera):

Downtown...
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5Eyjcrq5tFk/TscXfJZzCAI/AAAAAAAAOx8/8cvSnezIUu8/s640/106_5112.jpg

10x optical zoom of crown...
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NkwoKfrMX_I/TscXeVauc4I/AAAAAAAAOyI/MSQdaG9P8Ro/s512/106_5113.jpg

Digital zoom of crown...
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--QL-LyS6MJA/TscXeX4UB4I/AAAAAAAAOxw/B8yIfvKB7GU/s640/106_5114.jpg

SoonerAce311
11-18-2011, 08:23 PM
just the facts what are you talking about? its not about standing out, its about raising the bar and actually having a bigtime skyline. The Devon Tower doesn't stick out to me at all, it just puts us on the map for once. So many people it appears are scared of 1000 plus buildings around here, and thats why we have never had them. Our thinking has just been to small. You gotta think big! and the devon tower is a good start for us. its not some type of architectual mistake or something like just the facts was talking about. I wish a lot of folks out there would stop worrying about it "sticking out" or its "out of balance." just be freakin' happy that we got it. look at pictures of the world trade center with that whole tip of buildings on lower manhattan, and you will see that the wtc is around 400-500 taller than any building in that area. do you think they stick out? it doesn't matter. what matters is they dominate (or dominated) and thats what you want in a skyline, a certain tower or towers to dominate. don't be scared of a building dominating

SoonerAce311
11-18-2011, 08:26 PM
hell yeah trout, exactly! great example

SoonerAce311
11-18-2011, 08:30 PM
yeah, thank you much pete, what an excellent shot! one of my favorite shots

SoonerAce311
11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Well i think we will get a 1000plus skyscraper in the future. we just gotta think big and keep growing and growing and it will happen. I wish mdot would understand that small thinking and vision gets you small buildings and critical thinking of balance. All of that will take care of itself in the future, you just have to get over that and look up, not down.

soonerwilliam
11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I agree SoonerAce311!!! I really am proud of the Devon Tower and the size of it. I wish it had ended up being 925 ft. but I'll take the 850 ft. Looks fantastic !!!

MDot
11-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Well i think we will get a 1000plus skyscraper in the future. we just gotta think big and keep growing and growing and it will happen. I wish mdot would understand that small thinking and vision gets you small buildings and critical thinking of balance. All of that will take care of itself in the future, you just have to get over that and look up, not down.

Okay, I'm going to start off my post by saying this SoonerAce311; I agree with your posts and most of what you said because I enjoy seeing someone so positive towards the subject.

But if you read all of my posts then you will see I'm the only one who has given their opinion and is optimistic about us getting a 1,000-ft+. You're probably only reading my comment about our chances being under 5% but you're just looking to much into one comment rather than seeing the overall point I was trying to make. I understand misunderstandings happen but don't try and point your finger at me because I share the same opinion you do; that's like tackling a player on your team.

And for the sake of saying it, just because I think big and act like we will get a 1,000-ft building doesn't mean we will because I'm not an Architect and I don't own a huge business that will need to build up soon. It doesn't matter what MDot or SoonerAce311 say or believe. It doesn't mean they will or will not build just because a few average Joe's state their opinion. I don't know if that will make sense to you but to sum it up, just think with your brain and not your heart.

But I share your optimism about building tall buildings, so for the most part we're on the same page.

Bellaboo
11-19-2011, 12:02 PM
MDot,

You've been a very good poster and don't have to explain anything to anybody.

MDot
11-19-2011, 12:14 PM
MDot,

You've been a very good poster and don't have to explain anything to anybody.

Thank you, Bellaboo. I appreciate the support.

OUSoonerfan3
11-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I saw some odd lighting on the north side crown this morning when coming to work. It will be interesting to see that at night. It seemed like regular incandescent lighting spaced evenly in an almost grid pattern. Not the bright construction lights we are used to.

Those are strings of construction lights hung in the scaffolding. There is a mix of incandescent and CFL lamps.

SoonerBoy18
11-21-2011, 11:43 AM
How are those cranes strong enough to withstand Oklahoma's wind?

Pete
11-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Here's a recent photo that shows the permanent lighting now installed in the rotunda:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon1121.jpg

SkyWestOKC
11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Looking better every day that goes by.

Pete
11-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Cool one from the storm:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon1122.jpg

MDot
11-22-2011, 01:45 PM
It looks like one indivudual cloud decided to circle around the building.

Just the facts
11-22-2011, 01:50 PM
What is the colored section on about the 10th floor; reflection from Chesapeake Arena video board?

Bellaboo
11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
What is the colored section on about the 10th floor; reflection from Chesapeake Arena video board?

That or the Colcord sign......which is red.

dmoor82
11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
^^looks like red and blue,so I'm gonna say it is the reflection of the red Colcord sign and the Chesapeake arena blue lights!

Just the facts
11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
It can't be coming from the Colcord, the angle is wrong. Could it be another LED test (but it isn't inside the indention). All other refelctions in the building have been crystal clear. Why would this one be choppy? Plus the Colcord light on the roof is not even on this picture.

Here is a clear picture from the same angle

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon1118.jpg

Bellaboo
11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
It can't be coming from the Colcord, the angle is wrong. Could it be another LED test (but it isn't inside the indention). All other refelctions in the building have been crystal clear. Why would this one be choppy? Plus the Colcord light on the roof is not even on this picture.

Here is a clear picture from the same angle

Well, then the best guess is that it's a HUGE Dominoes pizza box for the construction crew........jk

Actually the angle is right....look at the reflection of the IRS building that is in the picture you posted. The angle of the reflection is about 3 stories higher against the Devon building than what it really is. That puts the Colcord sign, which is about 3 stories taller than the IRS building, at about the right perspective to where the colors on the Devon building are.....

Just the facts
11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Except the Colcord sign is not on.

Pete
11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
It is absolutely positively not LED lighting from Devon Tower.... It's a reflection, most likely from the arena video board.

SoonerAce311
11-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Hey mdot i'm not pointing the finger at you or anyone. And i am enthused that you share my optimism about our city's future. I apologize if you thought i was saying you weren't being enthusiastic about us getting bigger buildings, and no i've seen many of your posts. You have great points and are being realistic. I agree with everything you have said. And its not about explaining anything or misunderstanding anything, its just about communicating with one another. Its also great to think with your brain and to feel with your heart. Hey, by the way, have you seen on the west side of the Devon Tower at the top, it looks like the windows on the left side of the triangle go all the way to the 50th floor now! or should i say 51st floor, since there is no 48th floor? Have you mdot or anyone seen today what i'm talking about?

Bellaboo
11-22-2011, 08:01 PM
It is absolutely positively not LED lighting from Devon Tower.... It's a reflection, most likely from the arena video board.

I'm not sure where the reflection is coming from, but i've driven by the video board many times from I-40, and the entire South side of the Cox reflects whatever color is on the board...just can't see it being the video board, it's quite the monster and would be much larger if on the tower....

Just the facts
11-22-2011, 08:19 PM

There is a very easy way to find out. Who ever took those pictures needs to go back and take them again while the video board is running and the Colcord sign is on. If the image shows up again then it is reflection - if not, the LED system might be more than we thought.

jstanthrnme
11-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure where the reflection is coming from, but i've driven by the video board many times from I-40, and the entire South side of the Cox reflects whatever color is on the board...just can't see it being the video board, it's quite the monster and would be much larger if on the tower....

100% Arena screen. The reason it's not larger, is because of shadows cast by the indention and the Colcord building.

It's very easy to see (to me at least) that that is the upper corner of one of the graphics from the video board. It doesn't take much to imagine the rest of the images reflection if it weren't for the indention and Colcord.

MDot
11-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey mdot i'm not pointing the finger at you or anyone. And i am enthused that you share my optimism about our city's future. I apologize if you thought i was saying you weren't being enthusiastic about us getting bigger buildings, and no i've seen many of your posts. You have great points and are being realistic. I agree with everything you have said. And its not about explaining anything or misunderstanding anything, its just about communicating with one another. Its also great to think with your brain and to feel with your heart. Hey, by the way, have you seen on the west side of the Devon Tower at the top, it looks like the windows on the left side of the triangle go all the way to the 50th floor now! or should i say 51st floor, since there is no 48th floor? Have you mdot or anyone seen today what i'm talking about?

No problem SoonerAce311, I just took your post the wrong way I suppose. My apologies friend. =)

Teo9969
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
100% Arena screen. The reason it's not larger, is because of shadows cast by the indention and the Colcord building.

It's very easy to see (to me at least) that that is the upper corner of one of the graphics from the video board. It doesn't take much to imagine the rest of the images reflection if it weren't for the indention and Colcord.

I think it has to do with the angle. If you look at the reflections of the buildings that are right next to the tower, the buildings look multiple stories higher than what they actually are, so it's reasonable to assume that you would be able to see the Arena screen on the Devon Tower at that height because of the distance from point A to B, along with probably the shape of the glass on that particular panel.

Just the facts
11-24-2011, 08:49 AM
With how dark and gray as that photo is I just do see any way light could come from the video board, reflect off the glass, and get back to the camer, and still be that bright. It is brighter than the street lights right next to it.

Of course, it could also be reflection on the glass right in front of the camera (i.e. something on the desk right behind the camera) that just happens to appear on Devon Tower.

Bellaboo
11-24-2011, 09:01 AM
With how dark and gray as that photo is I just do see any way light could come from the video board, reflect off the glass, and get back to the camer, and still be that bright. It is brighter than the street lights right next to it.

Of course, it could also be reflection on the glass right in front of the camera (i.e. something on the desk right behind the camera) that just happens to appear on Devon Tower.

The arena screen is extremely bright, it lights up Reno for a couple of blocks when it's on......

metro
11-24-2011, 09:12 AM
I still say its the Colcord sign. No way the arena board would focus on one panel of glass. Especially on that side of the tower, it would need to be more south and not east.

Architect2010
11-24-2011, 09:44 AM
The Colcord sign isn't even lit up. It is obviously the arena board.

MDot
11-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Someone else suggested it but the more I see it the more I buy into it's a giant Domino's Pizza box.

UnFrSaKn
11-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Finally got around to putting this up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw99dUotb4Y

jn1780
11-26-2011, 09:13 PM
The crown sure is taking a lot longer than I thought it would.

SoonerAce311
11-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Yesir Mdot, no sweat my friend. =)

SoonerAce311
11-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Someone else suggested it but the more I see it the more I buy into it's a giant Domino's Pizza box. I'm with you MDot. If you notice the red are the dominos, and you can see the white dots in the red too. And then of course the blue below the red just like on the sign. I am 100 percent convinced its the giant Domino's Pizza box sign.

dmoor82
11-27-2011, 02:25 PM
We're still on that mysterious Red reflection?

MDot
11-27-2011, 03:49 PM
We're still on that mysterious Red reflection?

Well, name us something else interesting about the Devon Tower that has happened as of recently... LOL

BTW, my Grandma talked to one of the crane operators for Devon a couple days ago.

MDot
11-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Yeah, it really has. Oh well I guess.

Pete
11-27-2011, 04:02 PM
There is a tremendous amount of mechanical equipment in the crown and I'm sure that's why it taking so long to get the windows in.

They have had some recent progress so maybe the pace will pick up a bit now.

Dustin
11-27-2011, 04:14 PM

There is a lot to do up there. It will be worth the wait!

dmoor82
11-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Well, name us something else interesting about the Devon Tower that has happened as of recently... LOL

BTW, my Grandma talked to one of the crane operators for Devon a couple days ago.
Did you're Granny get any info?

MDot
11-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Did you're Granny get any info?

No, makes me wish I would've been there. He explained how the cranes and tower can withstand the Oklahoma winds and stuff like that but if I would've been there I would've asked some questions.

dankrutka
11-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Maybe this was posted somewhere else, but Kevin Durant's new Nike commercial is great pub for OKC. Great shots of the Devon Tower at the beginning and end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqaVK0qGqao&feature=player_embedded

The entire commercial was shot in OKC.

soonerwilliam
11-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Sweet!!!!

bluedogok
11-27-2011, 09:22 PM
That commercial was shown during the Chiefs-Steelers game tonight.

MDot
11-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks KT but yes this has been posted a couple different times already. It is a pretty awesome commercial though.