View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

UnFrSaKn
06-10-2011, 08:10 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/webcam/DevonConstructionCam.jpg

Rover
06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I think it will come in third place behind Bank of America Plaza in Dallas and the Mid-Continentent tower. JMO.

MC Tower is charming, but totally different and hard to compare. I am sure Tulsans favor it as it is in Tulsa. The BOA is a similar type building, but the rotunda, the auditorium and the other buildings make the Devon Energy Center pretty hard to beat. It is a very pleasing and striking modern structure as a tower, but as a complete center it is outstanding. I predict it will win any number of architecture awards. It sets the bar pretty high in OKC and the region. I think "best" is in the eye of the beholder, but everyone can agree this is outstanding.

phl1331
06-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Has there been a list of what retail and eateries will be in the new Devon Tower?

Thunder
06-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Not yet, but we can start guessing.

I'd like a Subway at the top floor. Maybe a split, McD and Subway.

kevinpate
06-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Not yet, but we can start guessing.

I'd like a Subway at the top floor. Maybe a split, McD and Subway.

Lad, you make me smile. Bu then I remember I can't always be certain when you're serious and when you're pulling our collective legs. I'm hopeful the above is the latter and not the former.

UnFrSaKn
06-10-2011, 04:12 PM
I hope Google Maps does another pass shortly after the tower is finished.

UnFrSaKn
06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Golden Corral gets my vote. $5.00 buffet every Tuesday night.

Soonerman
06-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Taco Bueno

rcjunkie
06-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Food cart with $1.00 hotdogs

ljbab728
06-10-2011, 10:54 PM
I vote for KFC and Taco Bueno combo.

OSUMom
06-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Well seriously, I would love a downtown Chick-fil-a again but I doubt it will be in the Devon building.

Thunder
06-11-2011, 12:59 AM
A lot of great options. Hopefully they will stick to something affordable for everyone to be able to enjoy the view within the budget.

Dustin
06-11-2011, 02:55 AM
They need to have a roller coaster at the very top like the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas!!

Thunder
06-11-2011, 06:34 AM
They need to have a roller coaster at the very top like the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas!!

Don't forget the Space Needle. We need another one built like it, but bigger and taller.

OKCisOK4me
06-11-2011, 08:44 AM
They totally need to update Streetview. It's from 2007. I know this because an old car of mine is sitting in a parking spot where I live AND I haven't had that car for a long time...

And, of course, the standard complaint is why they don't do the satellite pics when it's green (because the shrubbery would cover certain items) cause it otherwise makes it look dead. I imagine when they do new shots, because it will be a noon shot, the shadow of the Devon Tower will not cast very long.

phl1331
06-11-2011, 11:00 AM
who is handling the leasing?

metro
06-11-2011, 11:20 AM
So basically no serious post yet?

OKCRT
06-11-2011, 11:51 AM
I vote a White Castle

kevinpate
06-11-2011, 11:55 AM
So basically no serious post yet?

Nah, looks like everyone was piggin' out on junk food until you arrived, but now that you're here and truffle butter has a spokesperson, it can officially be considered a party. As for me, if Devon wants a food court down low somewhere, that's fine and dandy. As for their Cloud Cafe, I'm hopeful it will be extremely tasteful, exquisitely delicious, and not require a small loan to be able to enjoy an evening there. If it cuts into the base of other fine dining, so be it. It will be unlike anything else that's come before it physically, and the experience ought to match that.

hipsterdoofus
06-11-2011, 01:21 PM
They totally need to update Streetview. It's from 2007. I know this because an old car of mine is sitting in a parking spot where I live AND I haven't had that car for a long time...

I can't imagine street view being updated very frequently. 2007 isn't near as bad as the fact that the Satellite pics were about 6 years old or so before they updated them.

Pete
06-11-2011, 02:46 PM
With the hiring of the former Skirvin general manager, it seems that Devon will be managing at least some of the restaurants in-house. They've already done that with the former La Baguette in the Colcord.

I would expect the restaurant and banquet operations on the top two floors to be managed in a similar way and while they might have a membership option, I hope the penthouse restaurant will also be open to the general public. I bet there will be at least one in-house restaurant in the Garden Wing and one employee cafeteria/cafe.

They may also try to attract some other restaurant operators, as they will have lots of space and a really nice setting with the Garden Wing facing their own park and across to the new Myriad Gardens.

As for retail, who knows? Might be a little tough to get that off the ground but hopefully they can find a few retail businesses for the Garden Wing as well.

Snowman
06-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Plus their are many other cities that have older satellite and street view photos than OKC's and several do not even have the 3D photo option.

ljbab728
06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I have been to several similar restaurants and my favorite was this one:

http://web.mac.com/frenchylefreak/nye-sf/781_feet_above....html

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/cIgFjwX47osqHweLUZtcpg?select=IXVPOaJ2bg-BFkTm3ti51Q

Unfortunately it closed a couple of years ago.

I went to the Cellar in the Sky part of the Windows on the World restaurant during my honeymoon in New York City many years ago. Needless to say that restaurant at the top of the World Trade Center in New York is no longer there either.

edcrunk
06-12-2011, 12:36 AM
I think it will come in third place behind Bank of America Plaza in Dallas and the Mid-Continentent tower. JMO.

seriously? BOA was cool for the 80's and 90's and mid continent has some character, but i prefer the Devon energy center.

ljbab728
06-12-2011, 12:57 AM
I want to share some pics that my brother took on his recent visit here from LA. There are some good Devon pics included.

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc388/ljbab728/?albumview=slideshow

Dustin
06-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Very cool. So what was his impression?

Doug Loudenback
06-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Did I miss something? Is Devon going to have a public restaurant and/or observation deck on top of its building?

ljbab728
06-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Very cool. So what was his impression?

He had a great time. He and I are twins so we have very similar tastes and interests. We also went to see a production of "Hair" at the Reduxion Theater on Broadway. We had a great time. I visit LA often and it's nice to have something interesting for him to do when he comes here.

ljbab728
06-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Did I miss something? Is Devon going to have a public restaurant and/or observation deck on top of its building?

Yes, Doug. According to reports there will be a restaurant available to the the public at the top of the tower.

Doug Loudenback
06-12-2011, 02:27 AM
Outstanding!

sgfx
06-12-2011, 10:42 PM
http://goo.gl/IvoHj

ZYX2
06-12-2011, 11:29 PM
MC Tower is charming, but totally different and hard to compare. I am sure Tulsans favor it as it is in Tulsa. The BOA is a similar type building, but the rotunda, the auditorium and the other buildings make the Devon Energy Center pretty hard to beat. It is a very pleasing and striking modern structure as a tower, but as a complete center it is outstanding. I predict it will win any number of architecture awards. It sets the bar pretty high in OKC and the region. I think "best" is in the eye of the beholder, but everyone can agree this is outstanding.

Yes, DEC definitely does set the bar extremely high. It will be a hard complex to beat. Hopefully it will help inspire some more buildings similar to it, maybe some could sneak up into Tulsa...?

ZYX2
06-12-2011, 11:32 PM
seriously? BOA was cool for the 80's and 90's and mid continent has some character, but i prefer the Devon energy center.

I have always loved the boxy but interesting shape of the BOA, and the sheer detail on the Mid-Continent is enough to earn my vote. But, this tower isn't completed yet, so I don't think I can develop a complete opinion just yet.

bombermwc
06-13-2011, 06:31 AM
BOK is just the boring blank slate example of the international style. I don't understand why a shoebox is so interesting. Other than the fact it has height, it has no design to it. Ever seen a 1st grader draw a picture of a tall building...looks pretty much like a box just like it. Same goes for Chase in OKC, so i'm being fair. You've got to at least do something with the footprint to give it character. Like it or lump it, at least in comparison, the Oklahoma Tower has a shape.

ZYX2
06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
BOK is just the boring blank slate example of the international style. I don't understand why a shoebox is so interesting. Other than the fact it has height, it has no design to it. Ever seen a 1st grader draw a picture of a tall building...looks pretty much like a box just like it. Same goes for Chase in OKC, so i'm being fair. You've got to at least do something with the footprint to give it character. Like it or lump it, at least in comparison, the Oklahoma Tower has a shape.

BOA = Bank of America Plaza Tower in Dallas. Not BOK Tower in Tulsa...

Jesseda
06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
So offically how tall is the tower going to be? I heard different heights, does anybody know what is fur sure or rumored?

BG918
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Frost Bank Tower in Austin remains my favorite building in this region. Too bad it wasn't built taller and is now overshadowed by taller less stylish buildings.

Thunder
06-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Drove by it yesterday on I-235 with knowledge that it only have a couple of floors to go. It does not look much taller than Chase. From the start, it appeared to double the Chase length, but the numbers kept going down and upon yesterday's realization, it is much shorter than expected. :-( Still a beautiful beast, though.

Lafferty Daniel
06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Drove by it yesterday on I-235 with knowledge that it only have a couple of floors to go. It does not look much taller than Chase. From the start, it appeared to double the Chase length, but the numbers kept going down and upon yesterday's realization, it is much shorter than expected. :-( Still a beautiful beast, though.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wAxDMfEGhoY/TLOVnpZzzoI/AAAAAAAAAVE/JSuh_GX59Ks/s1600/Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

UnFrSaKn
06-13-2011, 02:22 PM
upon yesterday's realization

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tUUsStEVqVg/TPho-CaT49I/AAAAAAAACjU/Fkk3uooRrME/s1600/063_blank_look_fry.jpg

OKCisOK4me
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Darn it William. I thought you'd have a surprise video, lol.

jbrown84
06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Frost Bank Tower in Austin remains my favorite building in this region.

Oh yeah. I have to agree.

UnFrSaKn
06-13-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm working on a little something something. Problem is when I get off work and get downtown at 3pm, nobody's doing anything when it's 90+ degrees. I got two mornings off a week, and then it has to be a nice day.

Comm'l Real Estate Guy
06-13-2011, 03:48 PM
The high-end restaurant will be on the 49th & 50th floors. Even if it is expensive, I can't wait!

kevinpate
06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Dear William's employer,

Please adjust his work schedule at your earliest possible convenience. If you do not understand the critical value of this request, please see any of his outstanding videos of downtown Oklahoma City. If you still don't understand, please adjust his schedule anyway. It's the right thing to do for the entire metro.

Respectfully,

The General Public

dmoor82
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Frost Bank Tower in Austin remains my favorite building in this region. Too bad it wasn't built taller and is now overshadowed by taller less stylish buildings.

Frost bank tower-515'ft and 137 millionhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/FrostTower-Feb2009.JPG/250px-FrostTower-Feb2009.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FrostTower-Feb2009.JPG)ohttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/devon_8-20_2008_01s.jpg Devon Energy Center-850'ft and 750 Million.Frost is Beautiful,I love the setbacks into the crown!

Dulahey
06-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Most forums I frequent, people like Thunder get banned for being trolls. Not sure why he gets special privileges.

Lauri101
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Most forums I frequent, people like Thunder get banned for being trolls. Not sure why he gets special privileges.

He may be a troll, but dammit, he's our troll!:k-bunny:
Ya' just have to know the history to understand - he is special - he's Thunder!

OKCisOK4me
06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
The thing I like about Frost, is that it looks like the inner leaves of an artichoke at the top...

jmarkross
06-13-2011, 04:39 PM

90% of the people here--would be "trolls" (whatever that means to whomever it means it to) by generic standards.

kevinpate
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
We have no trolls at OKCTalk. Ok, some of our folks may march to the beat of a different drummer, and their drummer may have ill tuned tom-toms and a highhat that tries to use five cymbals, but they tend to keep their beat and folks try to stay in step all the same.

Dustin
06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
He may be a troll, but dammit, he's our troll!:k-bunny:
Ya' just have to know the history to understand - he is special - he's Thunder!

I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine. He shall be my squishy

Dustin
06-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Frost bank tower-515'ft and 137 millionhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/FrostTower-Feb2009.JPG/250px-FrostTower-Feb2009.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FrostTower-Feb2009.JPG)ohttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/devon_8-20_2008_01s.jpg Devon Energy Center-850'ft and 750 Million.Frost is Beautiful,I love the setbacks into the crown!

I choose the model Devon tower over the actual Frost Bank Tower... The finished real Devon Tower will blow the real Frost Bank Tower out of the water!

dmoor82
06-13-2011, 05:40 PM
^^LOL,well I chose to post the model over a rendering!

dankrutka
06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
In posted the same thing about Thunder a while ago, but once you're on the board for a while you get used to his way of looking at things. I'd laugh instead of get mad about it.

jn1780
06-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Your not a troll if you actually believe what you post which I'm pretty sure Thunder does. LOL

bluedogok
06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
At the time that it was built it was the tallest in Austin, if it had been built a few years later than it would more than likely be taller.

The thing I like about Frost, is that it looks like the inner leaves of an artichoke at the top...
Around here the joke is that it looks like a nose hair trimmer.

PhiAlpha
06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
^^LOL,well I chose to post the model over a rendering!

What is this??? A building for ants??? It needs to be at least 3 times that size!

dmoor82
06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
What is this??? A building for ants??? It needs to be at least 3 times that size!

ha,you can deri-lick my ba***!! just kiddin,I had to think about your post for a second before I got it!lol

PhiAlpha
06-13-2011, 09:35 PM
ha,you can deri-lick my ba***!! just kiddin,I had to think about your post for a second before I got it!lol

Haha glad someone got it