View Full Version : Mode Homes, new modern housing in Midtown?

metro
10-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Has anyone heard of Mode Homes? It appears they are a design/build company that will be building some modern, "affordable" (not sure how that is defined) housing in MidTown.

Follow @modehomes on Twitter for more info.

circuitboard
10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Has anyone heard of Mode Homes? It appears they are a design/build company that will be building some modern, "affordable" (not sure how that is defined) housing in MidTown.

Follow @modehomes on Twitter for more info.

Thanks for sharing! I am following. I love Modern homes!

metro
10-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Here's a link on Mode's Twitter from yesterday, might show good insight to the type of homes they'll be building in MidTown. Hopefully they'll build in SoSA and continue the modern theme:

:Spotlight On Design:: PB Elemental Architecture #2 (http://spotlightondesign.blogspot.com/2009/10/pb-elemental-architecture-2.html)

betts
10-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Although some of these homes are less contemporary, I've seen some articles on very cool infill homes in Portland. The website link is below:

Welcome to Living Smart House Designs Website!!! (http://www.livingsmartpdx.com/home/)

metro
10-15-2009, 07:27 AM
cool betts, there are a few houses like that off Western and about 11th or 12th. I think there is also one in Mesta Park.

betts
10-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm a big fan of "skinny houses". They're a great alternative for people who want an actual freestanding home, yet also want a denser type of urban living.

metro
10-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Post from Twitter this morning:

modehomes meeting with the city of Oklahoma City next week to go over plans for a nine unit, fee simple loft/townhome project. Very excited!

wsucougz
10-16-2009, 10:08 AM

modehomes meeting with the city of Oklahoma City next week to go over plans for a nine unit, fee simple loft/townhome project. Very excited!

I've been following the twitter account as well - sounds very promising. Is PB elemental involved with this project?

betts
10-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Very cool. I can hardly wait to see the plans for these. Maybe these will be the lower price point that people are hoping for.

betts
10-18-2009, 09:07 AM
I went and drove SOSA this morning. There is a lot of open land that would offer excellent infill options. And what a great location! I hope this becomes a reality.

Midtowner
10-18-2009, 11:58 AM
This stuff'd be nice for SOSA. I'm hoping Midtown gets more apartment buildings.

metro
10-19-2009, 07:40 AM
I saw early renderings for this this weekend, I'll see if I can get my hands on it and post it. Personally, I don't care for it, and I LOVEEE modern housing.

metro
10-19-2009, 07:49 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/mode_homes.jpg
this early design rendering shows the front entrances for five of this nine unit development to be hitting midtown okc next summer. the facade features brick, white aluminum composite panels and cedar siding.

kevinpate
10-19-2009, 08:38 AM
don't know why the machine I use will not show the images you post metro, but it happened again with this one. my loss.

wsucougz
10-19-2009, 08:41 AM
don't know why the machine I use will not show the images you post metro, but it happened again with this one. my loss.

Try this link: this early design rendering shows the front entrances for fiv... on Twitpic (http://twitpic.com/lr1s2)

kevinpate
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
That link worked. I'm not near mod enough I suppose. to me the units resemble Tetris screens, sans the fun colors.

betts
10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't dislike them, but I think drawings of modern housing, without seeing the adjacent street and landscaping, frequently look cold and uninteresting. You can't appreciate the differences in materials and textures, which can add a lot of interest. Also, the interiors may be really cool, which is the most important thing. Wonder what kind of price per square foot they will be anticipating.

onthestrip
10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Im usually a fan of modern buildings but Im not sure Im feeling this one. Granted its tough to get an idea of how the materials will exactly look once built, but this seems 1970s modern, not 2010 modern. However, Im all for new dwellings in the midtown area.

metro
10-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Even if the doorsteps were directly facing the street, I think it'd be a drastic improvement instead of them facing sideways.

betts
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
There's going to have to be a railing on those steps, so maybe that can add additional interest.

circuitboard
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I like it. Maybe they could throw in a bright color, like orange, or red to make it look more modern.

MIKELS129
10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't care for the look. They remind me of early 80's era Dallas Oaklawn.

jbrown84
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
I like it okay. I think it will look much better than the rendering.

LakeEffect
10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Keep in mind these are very preliminary and most likely going to change.

betts
10-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Where precisely are these going to go, does anyone know? I can really see them in SoSA, but is it going to be north of that?

LakeEffect
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Well, depends on what you consider SoSA :) From what I've heard, it's in the area south of St. Anthony, but it's not in the area that is in the City code as the "Cottage District."

metro
10-20-2009, 08:25 AM
not completely true, SoSA and Cottage district are pretty much the same thing, depending on who you talk to. I'm a property owner as well in SoSA/Cottage District and by city's definition, it's in the "cottage district" but most of us are calling it SoSA, Dennis Wells and I are the ones trying to get it branded SoSA "unofficially" or "officially".

modehomes
10-23-2009, 08:50 AM
everyone thanks for the feedback and comments. keep in mind that i posted the early rendering on twitter to get feedback from industry professionals that i have worked with in the past in seattle on conceptual design elements. i agree with a few of the earlier posts...it is difficult to imagine what the development will ultimately look like by just looking at a very rough sketch up model but I can assure all of you it will be very interesting and won't look like "80's Dallas modern" (whatever that looks like?). please keep sending comments and concerns and i will be happy to keep following and commenting. for updates on the development follow us on twitter @modehomes.

Sara Belle
10-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Any idea of price range?

ookkcc
10-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Are you willing to say where in Midtown / SoSA you are planning to build?

soonerguru
10-26-2009, 11:13 AM
I thought it was the Dewey Decimal District?

Urban Pioneer
10-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Ha ha! Lol. They need to get off their computers, have a neighborhood meeting, and figure it out or it will be named for them!

modehomes
10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
We will have more details to share with you all as they become available...once we have more details we would like to have an open discussion about the projects to get feedback from interested citizens such as yourselves. It is important to us that we develop projects that we are proud of and would want to live in ourselves but also that the improve the neighborhood and have a wider range of affordability.

rocket-j-squirrel
10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Interesting design. A few questions/points. For multi family units, will there be garage parking, on-site parking, or guest parking? For attached units, the fenestration looks inadequate for not only emergency egress but for minimum natural light and ventilation to interior spaces. The use of a wood siding may pose some maintenance problems in the future. The entry treatment is not conducive to a welcoming feel...suggest some form of covered structure. Finally, I suggest some diversity in design and massing among the units using the common material elements to create a more interesting facade.

metro
10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Interesting design. A few questions/points. For multi family units, will there be garage parking, on-site parking, or guest parking? For attached units, the fenestration looks inadequate for not only emergency egress but for minimum natural light and ventilation to interior spaces. The use of a wood siding may pose some maintenance problems in the future. The entry treatment is not conducive to a welcoming feel...suggest some form of covered structure. Finally, I suggest some diversity in design and massing among the units using the common material elements to create a more interesting facade.

Agreed, please don't use wood siding. It has been a nightmare for the Classen Glen complex in the SoSA area. Sure it can look nice, but it is a maintenance nightmare long-term.

Pete
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
There are plenty of compositon materials (made from recycled products) that look like wood, last a very long time and require no maintenance.

Platemaker
10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Dennis Wells and I are the ones trying to get it branded SoSA "unofficially" or "officially".

Can you please stop... it's embarrassing, grasping, and laughable.... it's MidTown... For instance... I personally live in MidTown... not the Plaza Court District.

I mean that in the nicest way... honestly!

metro
10-29-2009, 08:58 AM
They why did the City have it branded Cottage District well before people called MidTown - MidTown, So is MidTown laughable and embarrasing and we should refer to it as Cottage District. I believe the area you live in is actually called MidTown Cottage EoSA district.

Platemaker
10-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Ahhhh.... I didn't know that bit! If if already existed as 'Cottage District' I guess you have something. *sigh* LOL

I don't know why, metro, but there is just something about SoSA that makes me itch! I just think it's silly. Oh well... I guess I won't DIE!

Urban Pioneer
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Well, it does sound as if it is "two" people initiatives. Metro, are you guys starting to have regular meetings or something for the area?

I seem to remember Fitzsimmons doing a master plan for the park?

metro
10-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, it does sound as if it is "two" people initiatives. Metro, are you guys starting to have regular meetings or something for the area?

I seem to remember Fitzsimmons doing a master plan for the park?

I'm trying to get a "formal" meeting together. Debating if I want to do it before the holidays, or wait until everyone is done with the hustle and bustle of this time of year. Seems like these types of meetings have a better turnout after the holidays as you know. Thoughts? Love to have you come U.P. as you're a neighbor and possible fall within the boundaries or at least close to them.

modehomes
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
If we choose to use a wood product, such as natural cedar planks, it will be merely as an accent to the other materials. Again nothing is set in stone as of yet but we are fond of many different recycled materials from concrete to metal in composition. Thanks for the comments everyone! In terms of naming the district I thought it was just "midtown"? Although I have heard people throw around SoSa...whatever the name we need to be careful that 1) the areas aren't too small and 2) are able to uniquely marketed...not just a squiggly line around a bunch of older homes.

betts
11-10-2009, 02:58 PM
If we choose to use a wood product, such as natural cedar planks, it will be merely as an accent to the other materials. Again nothing is set in stone as of yet but we are fond of many different recycled materials from concrete to metal in composition.

As you may have noticed, there's not a lot of wood used in construction around here. However, cedar siding is as durable here as it is anywhere else. I think the idea of using recycled materials is an excellent one.

jclick
11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
However, cedar siding is as durable here as it is anywhere else...

Not necessarily. One good hail storm and it's done, at least cosmetically. I'm remodeling an entire exterior primarily for that reason. We tend to get more than our fair share of that vs. elsewhere, so I'd advise against using it beyond mere accents.

metro
11-10-2009, 06:34 PM
As you may have noticed, there's not a lot of wood used in construction around here. However, cedar siding is as durable here as it is anywhere else. I think the idea of using recycled materials is an excellent one.

Yep, cedar isn't that great. At Classen Glen downtown in SoSA, there is ton's of cedar siding and many leaks had to be fixed as a result of it.

modehomes
11-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Whatever the material ends up being it will merely act as a contrast to the main exterior elements...Jeff, good point!