View Full Version : Here Comes Santa Claus...Are you ready???

Pages : [1] 2

Generals64
09-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Just around the corner Ho-ho-ho. That's right, Santa Claus is getting all geared up how about you?????Can you reveal any of your childhood memories of the time before Christmas?????

papaOU
09-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Just around the corner Ho-ho-ho. That's right, Santa Claus is getting all geared up how about you?????Can you reveal any of your childhood memories of the time before Christmas?????

It sounds corny but I miss the school programs............

Was in vocal and glee clubs................

We performed at an evening concert at school..........:tiphat:

We also performed at Shepard Mall........:tiphat:

These were all in Jr. High....

My Mother says that I did good in school until the 10th grade and then it seems (her words) "I went to pot."

She has no idea how right she is....................

funny! But not funny!

kevinpate
10-01-2009, 04:37 AM
I remember when the commerce side of Christmas wasn't on the radar, or in the stores, until after Halloween.

Miss that.

Jesseda
10-01-2009, 07:33 AM
miss gettingthose rudolp gift boxes at montgomery wards, i miss the christmas music being played everywhere and where storefronts went above and beyond with christmas displays, same with shoping centers, candy canes snow man hanging from poles.. i really miss it, now its just christmas adds and getting into the store and hope you can survive getting out of the store. no music no really nothing anymore.. heck even visiting santa isnt magical anymore, croosroads in the early 80s had a village set up and trail of decorations and fake snow everywhere

Generals64
10-01-2009, 07:47 AM
miss gettingthose rudolp gift boxes at montgomery wards, i miss the christmas music being played everywhere and where storefronts went above and beyond with christmas displays, same with shoping centers, candy canes snow man hanging from poles.. i really miss it, now its just christmas adds and getting into the store and hope you can survive getting out of the store. no music no really nothing anymore.. heck even visiting santa isnt magical anymore, croosroads in the early 80s had a village set up and trail of decorations and fake snow everywhere
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The excitement that loomed in the air was fantastic. The people of days gone by would smile during these times and speak to each other even though they were strangers. I wonder how many cups of Coffee or Cokes were bought for strangers years ago. Simply because they wanted to. Christ was the center of the whole situation.....Not the Holy Dollar.....you know, we had a higher Gross Profit percentage in the 60's at TG&Y than in the 70's & 80's.. We might have done volume in Sales but our Profit margin was higher....We can ( this Nostalgic group) at least remember the way it was and only pray that it will come again....Santa Claus is still alive maybe in the hearts of the Old Folks (like me and others) but, he still looms out there...Ho-Ho-Ho......(Not the clown).

Prunepicker
10-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Just around the corner Ho-ho-ho. That's right, Santa Claus is getting all
geared up how about you? Can you reveal any of your childhood memories of
the time before Christmas?

I'll do that after Thanksgiving!

papaOU
10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Went into the Family Dollar (I think. Can never keep the 2 cheapo s straight: Dollar Store/Family dollar) to get my puppy (2 year old blue pit. A big baby) some treats. They had out all of their Christmas theme items. Plates, table cloths, candle holders......

Just junk of that nature and it literally made me sick...

No Walmart, Target, or department store for me.

If I need something I'll send someone.....

Jesseda
10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
papaou which family dollar store, is it in moore?

papaOU
10-08-2009, 11:17 AM
papaou which family dollar store, is it in moore?

S.W. 25th and Walker, okc.................

Jesseda
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
oh, my wife works at the one in moore of 12th and eastern, she thought it was funny putting out the christmas stuff right by the halloween at the same time..

papaOU
10-08-2009, 11:41 AM
oh, my wife works at the one in moore of 12th and eastern, she thought it was funny putting out the christmas stuff right by the halloween at the same time..

It's ridiculous. Not long ago you did not see Christmas items until after Thanksgiving.

jawgie
10-08-2009, 01:41 PM
My Mom took me on the bus to the John A. Brown downtown and we would shop and then window shop. It was magical for a 5 year old.

westsidesooner
10-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I remember when my parents took us to Penn Square when it was still an open air shopping center. Brrrrrrrr.

Honestly though I havn't even taken the halloween decorations out of the attic. Its to early to even think about Christmas.....of course I'll be saying that again when I only have one week left and I havn't started my shopping yet. sigh

rondvu
10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
The best places to get Christmas decorations was Hagee's at NE 23rd and Spencer Rd, Spartans and at Gibson's. No one could beat their selection. One childhood memory was the cheesy corrugated cardboard wanna be fireplaces that TG&Y used to sell. It was like every kid in town would run there finger down the corrugated cardboard and mess it up. I also miss the candles, trees, snowmen, stars and angels that all the shopping centers would hang from their parking lot lights. I even liked the aluminum Christmas trees along with the color wheels. We also used to play Christmas music outside our home. My dad would go to Firestone and Goodyear stores to get the best albums. I can still hear Doris Day singing Toyland. All the neighbors would comment how they enjoyed our efforts to make the holiday more enjoyable. The the embargo of the 70's came and they did not want you to do any holiday lighting so we could conserve. That lasted a few years, but never felt the same, perhaps I had grown up during those few years. I also liked watching the Timothy OTASCO commercials. It was like the BC Clark jingle is today. I KNEW CHRISTMAS WAS COMING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsvEWGQosB0

Jesseda
10-08-2009, 02:05 PM
ohh this might be a good time to talk about north pole city, has it opened yet lol

Generals64
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
ohh this might be a good time to talk about north pole city, has it opened yet lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesw it is opened in the same spot....The For Sale sign is still there though.

papaOU
10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesw it is opened in the same spot....The For Sale sign is still there though.

Not long ago North Pole City had a guy come in looking for work. Directed him to the office and told him someone would be with him shortly.

Too bad someone left the safe open.

Grabbed the cash and made a dash.

Don't know if he was ever caught.......:elmer3:

ktybug
10-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Thinking about how wonderful Christmas (yes Christmas, NOT THE HOLIDAYS!) used to be makes me blue. We lived only a block from Redding Shopping Center. Anthony's and Streets always had elegant clothes and windows to dream in.

But for me, the Capitol Hill area was Christmas at it's finest. Kress, Otasco, John A. Brown's, Rexal, Mr. Bucks, Cecil's, the bakery and the jewelry store. All decorated to perfection. Christmas lights strung across the entire shopping blocks. Santa to visit that did not cost anything to visit and they did not care how old you were! Everyone received that candy cane.

What about the Christmas cards in the 50's, 60's and even the early 70's? Everyone you knew sent them. Ton's of them! We could not wait to get the mail every day!

Gee. now I really am depressed! Guess I will just eat some HalloThanksXmas chocolate!

gen70
10-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Thinking about how wonderful Christmas (yes Christmas, NOT THE HOLIDAYS!) used to be makes me blue. We lived only a block from Redding Shopping Center. Anthony's and Streets always had elegant clothes and windows to dream in.

But for me, the Capitol Hill area was Christmas at it's finest. Kress, Otasco, John A. Brown's, Rexal, Mr. Bucks, Cecil's, the bakery and the jewelry store. All decorated to perfection. Christmas lights strung across the entire shopping blocks. Santa to visit that did not cost anything to visit and they did not care how old you were! Everyone received that candy cane.

What about the Christmas cards in the 50's, 60's and even the early 70's? Everyone you knew sent them. Ton's of them! We could not wait to get the mail every day!

Gee. now I really am depressed! Guess I will just eat some HalloThanksXmas chocolate!

"Well Said".....

gen70
10-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I remember the street just east of Sears that went "All Out"....

papaOU
10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Unless you have been to Capitol Hill in some time there were some changes made. They installed street lights that are replicas of maybe the 1920's or so. One evening between Thanksgiving and Christmas it was a gray night. Not foggy but there was a haze in the air adding a "glow" to each and every lamp. Each was decorated with Christmas items. Not religious, but rather snowmen, candy-canes and such. From Walker to Broadway there was not a parking space to be found. If in your mind you could see the vehicles as being from the 1940's to 1960's it was a Christmas scene from the past. The scene sent chills through my body and made my eyes misty. Of all the times I wish I had a camera that moment was one. Maybe I'll get another chance........:Smiley193

oneforone
10-09-2009, 01:24 AM
I love Christmas. It has always been my favorite time of year. I had to pull up the Christmas tracks in ITunes to soothe my urge to put the tree up just a couple of days ago.

I promised the wife I would wait until November 21st (Saturday before Thanksgiving) to let my inner Clark Griswold come out to play.

The new led lights are killer. I love the true depth of the colors.

PennyQuilts
10-09-2009, 04:09 AM
I loved the community atmosphere and the magic of Christmas. It was just so much more intense than it is now - shorter time and while the stores may have done it to stimulate sales, that isn't what people were thinking. We were just experiencing the magic.

I also loved the Shepherd Mall choirs - I always was afraid I'd accidently step off and break my neck (yes, EO, I was a pessimist from way back). My best girl friend and I always got dropped off for a day of Christmas Shopping and we'd shop from opening to closing for everyone on our list. At some point, we'd always get an ice cream at that little spot in the mall. If we were flush, we'd split something from El Charitos.

My grandmother always saved Christmas cards and decorated every package. I guess that is a forerunner to scrapbooking, now that I think about it.

That same best girl friend and I would also cut down a small cedar and drag it into the barn. We'd decorate it with popcorn and red and green Christmas chains (remember those - loved those!). We always made some present for our horses and dogs. One year, one of the horses got in and ate all the popcorn off the tree. Left the thread, thankfully.

Generals64
10-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I remember in Jr. High and Sr. High School we (Marching Band) would always march in both the Capitol Hill and the Downtown OKC Christmas Parade. Those two days were the days that the Christmas lights were turned on and Christmas windows were shown and the Mayor would declare the Holidays were officially here. I bought My wife to be a Blue Sweater for our first Christmas....then I thought hey I'll get her two gifts...I bought here a pair of Blue Slacks.....why don't they just have one shade of Blue????she never wore them together oh well..My heart was there....My wife has a younger cousin (female) that I have "Picked" on since she was a little girl and she has done the same to me through the years. We used to always get each other a gift so one year I got her some Blue Waltz perfume...ha-ha-ha....Without realizing she had been planning this all year she got me a Cow Pile....Yep that's what I said. she had a pretty ribbon that said "Merry Christmas". The box was wrapped beautifully and the package was heavy......No I couldn't top that one....Any way, Christmas is supposed to be a good time of the year....Right????? I went into Lowe's yesterday.....all of their Christmas merchandise is put out and up for sale....wait a minute this is the first of October isn't it????

Generals64
10-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I think (in my infinite wisdom) that we should "draw" names at the next meeting for a Nostalgic Christmas gift for one of this crew......

Prunepicker
10-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Thinking about how wonderful Christmas (yes Christmas, NOT THE
HOLIDAYS!)
Yes! It's not the holidays, it CHRISTmas.

CHRISTmas is coming.

gen70
10-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I think (in my infinite wisdom) that we should "draw" names at the next meeting for a Nostalgic Christmas gift for one of this crew...... "64" You old softy...I love you in a kinda southside way. You know....kinda John Wayne style.

Prunepicker
10-11-2009, 10:26 PM
"64" You old softy...I love you in a kinda southside way. You know... kinda
John Wayne style.
Will the both of you PLEASE punch each other in the arm and move on. It's
getting a little too mushy here. What if Soonergirl26 was to see this.

gen70
10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
((((BLUSHINGGGG)))hehe!!

gen70
10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Will the both of you PLEASE punch each other in the arm and move on. It's
getting a little too mushy here. What if Soonergirl26 was to see this.
Prune...Ain't it getting past your bed time? Oh I forgot your a musician.

Prunepicker
10-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Prune... Ain't it getting past your bed time? Oh I forgot your a musician.

Musicians never sleep... they just look that way...

by the way, it's you're a musician. Who was your English teacher?
I'm telling.

gen70
10-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Musicians never sleep... they just look that way...

by the way, it's you're a musician. Who was your English teacher?
I'm telling. All I remember about English 1970 was some "Hash" and a verbal that I sounded like "Tim Leary".

Generals64
10-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Remember?:..........Dear Grant High, Our own Grant High.....the Alma Mater of the beloved Grant High School.....'70 did you have Mrs. Manning for English? Or maybe Mrs. Baugh?....There was one teacher when I was in the 8th Grade her name was Mrs. Vaughan.....I think she was considered a Preprositional Phrase(sp) but, she was absolutely the toughest teacher I had a Grant.....Well, Gotta go, headed to Arkansas.....

faith1109
10-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I used to do the Christmas fashion show for Streets and it was a dream to get to put on the fancy clothes. I was a "child model", (got to do a few commercials for Anthony's too and helped me buy some of my books for college with the money I saved!) I loved those stores and am sad they are gone.

Christmas back then was so much more meaningful because it seemed people were more plugged in to life instead of computers, phones, etc. They were occupied by each other and got meaning by the activities they shared with their family ,neighbors and community. Now people do seem more disconnected. But threads like this help to remind us of when we took time to celebrate, play music in the front yard, comment on our neighbor's display, etc.

Prunepicker
10-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Remember? Dear Grant High, Our own Grant High... the Alma Mater of the
beloved Grant High School... '70 did you have Mrs. Manning for English? Or
maybe Mrs. Baugh? There was one teacher when I was in the 8th Grade her
name was Mrs. Vaughan... I think she was considered a Preprositional
Phrase(sp) but, she was absolutely the toughest teacher I had a Grant...
Well, Gotta go, headed to Arkansas...
I was sentenced to C.D. Chase.

perrygreen
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I remember my mom taking us to Flower City to see the moving elves and characters surrounding all the decorated trees. I also remember driving through Ski Island? to see the lights every year.

Generals64
10-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I used to do the Christmas fashion show for Streets and it was a dream to get to put on the fancy clothes. I was a "child model", (got to do a few commercials for Anthony's too and helped me buy some of my books for college with the money I saved!) I loved those stores and am sad they are gone.

Christmas back then was so much more meaningful because it seemed people were more plugged in to life instead of computers, phones, etc. They were occupied by each other and got meaning by the activities they shared with their family ,neighbors and community. Now people do seem more disconnected. But threads like this help to remind us of when we took time to celebrate, play music in the front yard, comment on our neighbor's display, etc.

================================================== =============
Don't know your age....but, don't you remember the store front windows and all the moving animation. The sad thing is those stores went by the way side and the displays got THROWN away. I know when the Dillard's at Crossroads went out of business I bought all of their Christmas ornamentation for very little. My wife was there when we were loading them and she started taking off the Large Ornaments I asked her what are you going to do with those?????....Her response :...."You load and I'll do what I want to do...O.K.!!!!" I can't wait to see what she is going to do with all that stuff.......I go to Dallas at least once just to look at the Downtown store fronts every year.....Even there is getting Sparse.....

Generals64
11-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, it's getting closer. Prunepicker have you decided what you are getting everyone in the group this year?????remember, you won the drawing so you get to buy the presents.....

Generals64
11-17-2009, 05:43 PM
It's about time to start getting ready isn't it....just a few days away from putting up the tree...Sheesh...I don't like to put up the Christmas Tree...My wife puts it up and does a wonderful job....I Promise she does a great job....be sure to tell her if you see her......

Prunepicker
11-17-2009, 05:50 PM
November 27 is the official day of 2009 to be ready for Santa.

Naturally I'm not ready.

FRISKY
11-17-2009, 08:08 PM
My dogs would take a Christmas tree down faster than I could put it up.

Generals64
11-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I saw an ad last night from Atwoods Farm and Ranch and they wished everyone a "Merry CHRISTMAS and a holiday season......Actually said "Merry Christmas".
But, it's not even Thanksgiving yet.... Come on...I applaud them for Merry Christmas though.....

papaOU
12-01-2009, 09:14 AM
It's here!!!

Heard the B.C. Clark jingle on the radio this morning.

For many the Christmas season has begun...................

Generals64
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
It's here!!!

================================================== =============
you know, "Jewelry is the gift to give".....you know, " cause it's the gift that lives and lives"..

westsidesooner
12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
It's here!!!

We heard it for the first time on Thanksgiving morning during the parade, some of my family were in town and they really got a kick out of it.....as they hadn't heard it since they moved to KC several years ago. Our BC Clark count is now up to 7 (yes we keep track of how many times we hear it)

The house is all decorated and we put the tree up last night. I love Christmas season. Only hard part is having to let go of loved ones when its time for them to go back home. Bittersweet but well worth it.

Prunepicker
12-01-2009, 02:56 PM
As much as I shop at Clark's, I'm happy to say I haven't heard the jingle. But
that's because I won't listen to or watch commercials.

Don't forget to get your plate!

Generals64
12-01-2009, 03:10 PM
As much as I shop at Clark's, I'm happy to say I haven't heard the jingle. But
that's because I won't listen to or watch commercials.

Don't forget to get your plate!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Plate?????

Prunepicker
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Plate?
Yes! Your free B.C. Clark Christmas plate. We picked ours up a couple of
weeks ago. We have a bunch of 'em and use 'em, too!

papaOU
12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
We heard it for the first time on Thanksgiving morning during the parade, some of my family were in town and they really got a kick out of it.....as they hadn't heard it since they moved to KC several years ago. Our BC Clark count is now up to 7 (yes we keep track of how many times we hear it)

The house is all decorated and we put the tree up last night. I love Christmas season. Only hard part is having to let go of loved ones when its time for them to go back home. Bittersweet but well worth it.

The only thing worse than letting them go is to find they are moving in with you...

Generals64
12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
If you're reading this remember to get Tape, Ribbon and Wrapping Paper for the "Last Minute" shopping. If you have that stuff you can make the rest of it work....

CarltonsKeeper
12-09-2009, 05:39 PM
If you're reading this remember to get Tape, Ribbon and Wrapping Paper for the "Last Minute" shopping. If you have that stuff you can make the rest of it work....
REMEMBER GEN, we put a $500.00 limit on your gifts to me this year!!

Generals64
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
REMEMBER GEN, we put a $500.00 limit on your gifts to me this year!!

================================================== ========
Shoot. ..... I have already bought it...... oh well, you can still use it....

Generals64
12-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, I've got Prunepickers, Carltonskeeper, and PapaOU's Christmas presents for the year.....Gott keep on Shopping.....GOTTA GET A REAL JOB....

papaOU
12-24-2009, 01:41 AM
If you have young ones around for Christmas Eve, they would probably enjoy the following webpage.

Official NORAD Santa Tracker (http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/noradsanta/index.html#utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=hpp&utm_source=en-hpp-na-us-gns-norad)

May have to cut and paste.

Merry Christmas all!

Generals64
12-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey you guys and gals......merry christmas.......generals64

gen70
12-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey you guys and gals......merry christmas.......generals64 Same to you 64 and anyone else who shows up here. "Merry Christmas"

CarltonsKeeper
12-24-2009, 07:56 PM
And to all, " a goodnight"

Prunepicker
12-24-2009, 07:57 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Prunette has been baking all day. Bread, candy, snacks, etc... A couple of
hours ago we braved the snow and delivered Christmas goodies to our
neighbors. Tomorrow we're going to connect with our daughter and her
family via the Internet and watch the grand daughter open her gifts and
anything else that happens.

Tall Girl
01-05-2010, 09:44 PM
It's a little past Christmas but just now having time to cruise around and read threads. This one brought back a lot of memories. I would like to be able to find ribbon candy like we had in the 50's & 60's. Also, I put 4 stringers of bubble lights on my tree every year. I loved the blizzard this year because I didn't have to be in 2 different towns on 2 different days. I always keep a package of frozen black-eyed peas from my sisters garden back for New Years day. Usually it is purple hull peas, but this year it was black-eyed. Time to start thinking about spring!

Generals64
01-06-2010, 08:47 AM
It's a little past Christmas but just now having time to cruise around and read threads. This one brought back a lot of memories. I would like to be able to find ribbon candy like we had in the 50's & 60's. Also, I put 4 stringers of bubble lights on my tree every year. I loved the blizzard this year because I didn't have to be in 2 different towns on 2 different days. I always keep a package of frozen black-eyed peas from my sisters garden back for New Years day. Usually it is purple hull peas, but this year it was black-eyed. Time to start thinking about spring!
================================================== ===========
you know, you can't find that old ribbon candy anymore:...This WAS a Christmas to remember....."Something the Old Folks used to say"..I remember The Blizzard of '09...........................