View Full Version : Fry's Electronics

ourulz2000
09-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Any chance of Oklahoma City ever getting a Frys? There are two in DFW area, and the one in Irving is in a word: amazing.

JohnDenver
09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
4 in DFW.

Arlington, Dallas, Plano and Irving.

megax11
09-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I would like to see a lot of stores not in OKC, in Oklahoma.

Fry's could be one. I would also like to see Dairy Queen back, and Peter Piper Pizza.

Hey speaking of Pizza joints... Anyone remember Crystal's off of 74th and Penn? Anyone know where I can find some vintage photos of OKC during the 80's? Namely that area?

oneforone
09-30-2009, 11:14 AM
With Best Buy and Ultimate being the only two major players in the electronics realm as the economy turns around I expect Fry's or HHGregg to come to Oklahoma.

lgolson
10-01-2009, 05:42 AM
There is actually a Crystals Pizza in Irving. We went there when we were in big D for the OU game. It was a little run down and the pizza wasn't quite what I remember, but I got to watch Tom & Jerry while I ate:omg:

megax11
10-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Man I wish there were some vintage pics of OKC during the 80's around somewhere.

I'd like to see that plaza how it looked when Crystal's was there.

I'd also like to see the inside of it, as I only remember going in there once.

I'd also like to find some pics of the old Chuck-E-Cheese in Moore back in the 80's.

Caboose
10-02-2009, 09:38 AM

Fry's could be one. I would also like to see Dairy Queen back, and Peter Piper Pizza.

Hey speaking of Pizza joints... Anyone remember Crystal's off of 74th and Penn? Anyone know where I can find some vintage photos of OKC during the 80's? Namely that area?

I stopped at a DQ last year in Texas after having not been to one since I was a kid. In a word - disgusting. Totally not the quality of food I remembered from growing up. Texas can keep all the DQ's.

jbtulsa77
10-02-2009, 09:43 AM
ourulz200,

there is a place in THE MARKET at Quail Springs Mall area they have old pic of every part of Okla. they also said if you can't find it they can. Give it a try

jbtulsa77
10-02-2009, 09:44 AM
sorry, that was meant for MEGAX11----old pics of Okc area

mikesimpsons82
10-02-2009, 07:49 PM

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/Thread-Hijack/1/Hijack-Car.jpg

yukong
02-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Was in the DFW area this week for a funeral, and went by Fry's. Was talking to an Assistant Manager, and said that I wished they would could to OKC. He said that they were. Said they already had a building picked out. He didn't know the timing though. Said it was not unheard of that Fry's might sit on a site for a year or two before opening. Hopefully they will be opening soon.

Larry OKC
02-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Was in the DFW area this week for a funeral, and went by Fry's. Was talking to an Assistant Manager, and said that I wished they would could to OKC. He said that they were. Said they already had a building picked out. He didn't know the timing though. Said it was not unheard of that Fry's might sit on a site for a year or two before opening. Hopefully they will be opening soon.

LOL. Wonder if it was the same guy I spoke with a few years ago (was told the same thing). But then again, the Canal operators are STILL telling people we are going to be getting a Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe along the Canal any time now.

HOT ROD
02-08-2010, 05:17 AM
let's hope not

BB37
02-08-2010, 06:18 AM
let's hope not

Disagree. I'd love to see Fry's come into this market. Not holding my breath, however.

Bunty
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
What a Fry's like compared to a Best Buy? No kitchen appliances?

Kerry
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
The problem I have with Fry's is where they get their inventory from. They do sell newly manufactured items but they also sell factory refurbished and returns from other retailers as new. If you can get a good price for it then no problem but you have to be aware of you are buying.

Anyone familiar with Brandsmart? There are three in Atlanta and the inside of the store is sensory overload. If you are prone to censures stay out. The stores look like a circus clown exploded inside a Best Buy.

smooth
02-08-2010, 05:32 PM

According to their website, Fry's does not carry MAJOR appliances, but does carry SMALL appliances.

MadMonk
02-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Oh please let it be on the NW side. There's lots of land for a huge parking lot out by Rockwell and Memorial!

bluedogok
02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
It's an electronics store about the size of a Wal-Mart supercenter or double the size (or more) of most Best Buys, I shop there frequently. I have bought the parts there to build my last 5 computers, on sale they are cheaper than what I can usually find online. I bought a NAS drive there Saturday. They carry more electronics parts (circuits, capacitors, transistors, etc.) than Radio Shack ever has.

According to their website, Fry's does not carry MAJOR appliances, but does carry SMALL appliances.
They carry major appliances, refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, etc. I don't think they have them on their website...they only have a fraction of the in-store inventory on the website.

The problem I have with Fry's is where they get their inventory from. They do sell newly manufactured items but they also sell factory refurbished and returns from other retailers as new. If you can get a good price for it then no problem but you have to be aware of you are buying
Most of the refurb stuff is clearly marked and usually right next to a brand new item so you can see the price difference, I really haven't seen much refurb stuff in the Austin store...just some printers and monitors.

skyrick
02-08-2010, 07:53 PM
If you go to Fry's, be sure you know exactly what you want and where it is located. The staff are absolutely no help at all, at least at the Arlington store. Reminds me of a line in Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb Blues":

... because the cops there don't need you
and, man, they expect the same.

Rick

Larry OKC
02-08-2010, 08:45 PM

If it can be plugged into a wall or run on batteries they have it...running from lamps to fridges etc...computer equipment...the Arlington one seems huge...seems you could put at least 2 Walmart Supercenters inside (may not be near that big but it sure seemed like it). The prices I saw were excellent on just about everything.

bluedogok
02-08-2010, 09:31 PM
If you go to Fry's, be sure you know exactly what you want and where it is located. The staff are absolutely no help at all, at least at the Arlington store. Reminds me of a line in Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb Blues":

... because the cops there don't need you
and, man, they expect the same.

Rick
I pretty much find that true about any retail establishment....I typically know more about any product that I am looking for than any "help" that I have ever had.

jstaylor62
02-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Any chance of Oklahoma City ever getting a Frys? There are two in DFW area, and the one in Irving is in a word: amazing.

Western Frys in Palo Alto is like a Mecca to nerds...

raneman
02-08-2010, 11:05 PM
If it can be plugged into a wall or run on batteries they have it...running from lamps to fridges etc...computer equipment...the Arlington one seems huge...seems you could put at least 2 Walmart Supercenters inside (may not be near that big but it sure seemed like it). The prices I saw were excellent on just about everything.

I went to the Arlington store back in '96 when it was an Incredible Universe store. It is a massive building. I remember that was the first time I ever saw a wide screen television.

demoman2k10
03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Just moved into OKC I already miss FRY's... So until they get a place open what's the BEST solution for computer gear in OKC...

ourulz2000
03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Just moved into OKC I already miss FRY's... So until they get a place open what's the BEST solution for computer gear in OKC...

For your situation, probably the internet. When I lived in Oklahoma, I always wondered that too. The thing is, Frys is an electronics store. Best Buy is an entertainment store... You can't beat Frys.

Jethrol
03-22-2010, 11:15 PM
You know what sad, of all the things to do in Big D, I absolutely LOVE to go to Fry's. I have a friend that lives in Plano and I make it a requirement for any trip down there that we stop at Fry's at least one time. Usually we show up there on Sat Morning and stay till late in the afternoon.

I love....absolutely love Fry's.

There's just so much to love at those stores....everything a geek like me could want. It fair to say, I would be ecstatic if one of these came to OKC....not Tulsa, OKC.

Midtowner
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I doubt we get one anytime soon. They've expanded some in the SE but haven't even started in the NE. Unless there's some reason why they haven't done that, I'd expect the NE to be ahead of the Great Plains in terms of priority.

cedbled
11-25-2014, 05:10 PM

whatever came of this? obviously, not a store, but did anyone ever get any more info on why\why not?

Plutonic Panda
11-25-2014, 05:30 PM
whatever came of this? obviously, not a store, but did anyone ever get any more info on why\why not?I will send them an email a little later. I would really like to have a Fry's here.

bchris02
11-29-2014, 06:37 PM
whatever came of this? obviously, not a store, but did anyone ever get any more info on why\why not?

Considering that was posted in 2009 as retailers were pulling back expansion due to the recession, it is likely the planned OKC store got nixed just like so much else that had planned to enter the metro around that time.