View Full Version : Farmers Insurance breaks ground - will vacate Sheperd Mall

metro
09-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Ceremony to kick off Farmers Insurance Group building in Oklahoma City
BY RICHARD MIZE
Published: September 29, 2009

Farmers Insurance Group plans to start construction of its new office building and data center with a ceremony Wednesday that will include executives and state Insurance Commissioner Kim Holland.

Gregor Scott, Farmers’ executive director in Oklahoma, Nicolle Welsh, facilities manager for claims service Farmers HelpPoint, Holland and others will speak at noon at 7340 W Memorial Road, where a 163,000-square-foot office building and 13,500-square-foot data center will be constructed.

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/ceremony-to-kick-off-farmers-building/article/3404835?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0SVAbf6J b)

What a boring building........
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/710423/gallery_photo

flippity
09-29-2009, 07:34 AM
what all is left there? the social security office & farmers?

metro
09-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Don't know, haven't been inside in years, but I know Astec Charter School is there too.

bombermwc
09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Yet another group runs up to Memorial Rd....yay...sarcasm.

stlokc
09-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I've said this before about similiar moves. I don't understand this from a business perspective. They are a Customer Service Center, correct? I would assume they have customers all over the metro area. They are a significant employer. I would assume they would want to draw talented employees from the largest possible base.

If I were a resident of South OKC looking for a job, how happy would I be to drive all the way to Memorial and Council every day? If I were a customer in Midwest City, would I really want to go all the way to the NW fringe to do business?

OKC is lucky among metro areas (they are not all laid out this way) that our historic, traditional business district is actually in the geographic center of the metropolitan area. If Farmers feels they need lots of surface parking for their visitors, there are plenty of underused buildings for lease/sale in the swath between I-44 and I-240.

Why the answer always has to be brand-new construction on the outer fringe is just beyond me.

venture
09-29-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't think customers ever step foot in the existing facility, so that's a non-issue. The biggest issue would probably be their employees that live on the south and east sides of town. Depending on the position and how much they get paid, it can get rough to justify driving 45-60 mins to work every day.

metro
09-29-2009, 09:05 AM
stlokc, while I can certainly agree with you about location for employees, and using large unused swathes of land in the existing city, without sprawling it out more, I think you have a misconception of what a call center (or politically correct term, customer "service" center) is. As venture stated, you don't visit them, it's where 1-800 calls get routed to.

mugofbeer
09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
While it is unfortunate that a large employer has left Shepherd Mall, its a net win for OKC because Farmers has committed to being here for a significant amount of time. Any good employee is a good corporate citizen.

Trying to stay "glass-half-full," it may start to provide an opportunity for the owners of Shepherd Mall and the city to start looking for an opportunity to redevelop the mall property into a "Town Center" type of multi-use project. Please refer to the Southlake, TX Town Center development, the Flower Mound, TX Parker Square development, the Southglenn Redevelopment project in Littleton, CO, Bel Mar in Lakewood, CO. These are all multi-use retail, office, apartment/condo projects that use a Town Center type of architecture and feel and all are very successful. The demographics around Shepherd Mall are very similar to these projects.

stlokc
09-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Metro-My fault. I was not aware that this facility was simply a call center. While I stand by my assertion about the location for employees' sake, I concede that it probably has little visitor traffic.

MugofBeer-I like the direction of your thinking. Refer also to "The Boulevard" in St. Louis, which is a little bit more urban variation of the same idea.

warreng88
09-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I drove up Villa passing the mall and noticed all the equipment taking out the parking lot on the west side of the mall. Are they going to parcel that off and sell it to people for restaurants and standalone buildings? Or are they just repaving the parking lot?

onthestrip
09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
1. I seriously doubt that area has the same demographics as southlake
2. Now is not a good time for new retail to be built
3. I'm going to guess repaving, that area of the parking lot was pretty beat up before. Plus I doubt that's a very attractive spot to a restaurant

Kerry
09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Yet another group runs up to Memorial Rd....yay...sarcasm.

Why isn't Downtown OKC Inc. doing more to bring these jobs, and new buildings, downtown? If I was only going to make $10 per hour at least give me the job in the middle of some place exciting (not that downtown OKC is exciting but it is better than Memorial Road).

wsucougz
09-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Metro-My fault. I was not aware that this facility was simply a call center. While I stand by my assertion about the location for employees' sake, I concede that it probably has little visitor traffic.

Metro has plenty of misconceptions of his own. Less than half of the 1200 employees are involved with the call-center operation. But a customer wouldn't visit this particular office any more than they would return a rental car to the Hertz corporate office.

mugofbeer
09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
1. I seriously doubt that area has the same demographics as southlake
2. Now is not a good time for new retail to be built
3. I'm going to guess repaving, that area of the parking lot was pretty beat up before. Plus I doubt that's a very attractive spot to a restaurant

While I agree, Southlake is a wee bit more affluent, Southlake's Town Center is by far the biggest - plus, it lacks a lot of the residential that I think Shepherd Mall could include. The Shepherd Mall area is not that much different from the other projects I listed, however - especially Southglenn in Littleton, CO and Bel Mar in Lakewood, CO. In fact, the Bel Mar area is probably lower income than some of what is in the Shepherd Mall area.

The project wouldn't be built tomorrow anyway so by the time planning was done, financing was sought out, etc, hopefully the economy would have
improved significantly by then.

The last thing this city needs is another row after row of pad sites for fast food!

venture
09-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Metro has plenty of misconceptions of his own. Less than half of the 1200 employees are involved with the call-center operation. But a customer wouldn't visit this particular office any more than they would return a rental car to the Hertz corporate office.

It seems to be the case with more people than Metro. But it is also the case with a lot of offices that have been opened in. Dell while it has a call center component as far as routing inbound calls to random agents...it also has a large corporate sales and support operation where the majority of that activity is outbound to managed accounts. Not cold calling. Not random calls.

Such is the life though when these people don't step foot in these facilities are only talk to people that have only been in one department, when a setup like Dell could have up to 20-30 departments under one roof.

circuitboard
09-30-2009, 05:52 PM
I think turning this into a small scale west village area like in Dallas, would be cool. Put in nice apartments on top, and restraunts, shopping and bars/clubs on bottom and pleanty of sidewalks.

Ender
09-30-2009, 07:00 PM
People in the OKC area do occasionally go to this office finish settling a total loss or pick up checks for settlements. It's not common, but it does happen.

This facility also houses a large data center, their document center to scan all the incoming documents for claims, and several other non-call center departments (as previously mentioned)

kswright29
09-30-2009, 08:34 PM
While Farmers takes a lot of space in Shepherd Mall, a good chunck is occupied by state agencies.

metro
10-01-2009, 07:55 AM
It seems to be the case with more people than Metro. But it is also the case with a lot of offices that have been opened in. Dell while it has a call center component as far as routing inbound calls to random agents...it also has a large corporate sales and support operation where the majority of that activity is outbound to managed accounts. Not cold calling. Not random calls.

Such is the life though when these people don't step foot in these facilities are only talk to people that have only been in one department, when a setup like Dell could have up to 20-30 departments under one roof.

Sorry, but I've worked at similar facilities for other major corporations. (I've either worked for or been offered jobs at AOL, Farmer's, Williams Sonoma, Sprint, AT&T/Cingular, Dobson, Dell). Call it what it is, a glorified call center. yes these places have many well paying jobs ($50K+), but at the end of the day it's still a call center. No one ever said anything about cold calling (cold calling doesn't equal a call center). A place where you make outbound calls or take inbound calls (regardless of if it's an existing customer) IS a CALL CENTER. Heck, do you not think people calling AT&T or Sprint are either existing customers or wanting to set up service?), not exactly cold calling..... Despite that, the point I and others were making is that customers don't really visit these facilities.

hipsterdoofus
10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Why isn't Downtown OKC Inc. doing more to bring these jobs, and new buildings, downtown? If I was only going to make $10 per hour at least give me the job in the middle of some place exciting (not that downtown OKC is exciting but it is better than Memorial Road).

I wouldn't want to move my company to downtown - it would be a pain in the neck what with parking issues and being more expensive.

Also, just got word that while this may sound like Farmer's is making a long term commitment, apparently they just outsourced all their IT staff and are letting 1000 or so go (I assume that is nation-wide, not just in OKC).

mugofbeer
10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't want to move my company to downtown - it would be a pain in the neck what with parking issues and being more expensive.

Also, just got word that while this may sound like Farmer's is making a long term commitment, apparently they just outsourced all their IT staff and are letting 1000 or so go (I assume that is nation-wide, not just in OKC).

Don't get too wrapped up in outsourcing. While it IS possible to outsource virtually all jobs at most companies (re: Hertz and the debacle they did on their OKC employees), it often comes back to bite them in the butt. Smart companies will outsource only to a limited amount. If the company you do business with starts to outsource its customer contact people, you should very vocally start doing business with another company.

BDP
10-01-2009, 11:25 AM
7340 W Memorial Road

7340!?

So, that's right around, what... Amarillo?

metro
10-01-2009, 11:58 AM
It will be closer for people in Piedmont to commute to this office than from MWC, Moore, Norman, etc.

Kerry
10-01-2009, 12:20 PM

I thought rents in downtown OKC were some of the lowest in the city, and much lower than Memorial Road. Alas, if you build your own building you don't pay rent. As for parking, most new towers include their own parking. The building I work at in Atlanta (twin 16 stories towers) has the first 7 levels (so 23 stories total) dedicated to parking and it is all free.

kevinpate
10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
7340!?

So, that's right around, what... Amarillo?

Nah, just past Rockwell. Still close enough to pack a lunch to Martin Park or run grab something at Quail Springs Mall.

okc_bel_air
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Is this going in on the north or side side of Memorial and is it west of Rockwell?

kevinpate
10-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Is this going in on the north or side side of Memorial and is it west of Rockwell?

South side of Memorial and a wee bit west of Rockwell

mireaux
10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
why are they moving way up to memorial road when theres so many other locations that they could have set up shop at? Norman would have been better so they can pool the resources of college students wanting extra income. Alas, only with a Memorial road address can you prove locally what a pretentious corporation you are.

kevinpate
10-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Maybe the city council is missing out on a revenue source. Maybe they could start renaming nearby streets. ans slowly drive business back to the south. I can see it now -

Memorial Way
Memorial Lights
Memorial Lites
Memorial Acres

sgray
10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I thought rents in downtown OKC were some of the lowest in the city, and much lower than Memorial Road. Alas, if you build your own building you don't pay rent. As for parking, most new towers include their own parking. The building I work at in Atlanta (twin 16 stories towers) has the first 7 levels (so 23 stories total) dedicated to parking and it is all free.

Well, hehe, if you build all the way out in the middle of BFE, things get pretty cheap. While I agree it is a ways out there, at least they are being more wise with spending, unlike Chesapeake, who rolled in, paid a premium for a city block and then paid premiums for everything they could acquire within a 5mi radius, only to offer lots of it for sale later. (Notice all the CHK 'for sale' signs around?)

One positive thing I will say is that the turnpike rolls right through that area, doesn't it? Or pretty close? There are some medical buildings sprouting up out there.

fuzzytoad
10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
why are they moving way up to memorial road when theres so many other locations that they could have set up shop at?

Because the further north in OKC you go, the less it sucks.

Kerry
10-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Maybe the city council is missing out on a revenue source. Maybe they could start renaming nearby streets. ans slowly drive business back to the south. I can see it now -

Memorial Way
Memorial Lights
Memorial Lites
Memorial Acres

Kind of like 'Peachtree' here in Atlanta.

circuitboard
10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
why are they moving way up to memorial road when theres so many other locations that they could have set up shop at? Norman would have been better so they can pool the resources of college students wanting extra income. Alas, only with a Memorial road address can you prove locally what a pretentious corporation you are.

College students wanting extra income? It is not convergys. Most of the positions at farmers they actually prefer you have a degree and they actually pay pretty well. They are not a summer job.....

Ender
10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
College students wanting extra income? It is not convergys. Most of the positions at farmers they actually prefer you have a degree and they actually pay pretty well. They are not a summer job.....

I agree. While they have positions that can fill this spot, most of the positions in that location do require experience in the position and/or a degree.

BDP
10-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Because the further north in OKC you go, the less it sucks.

Well, there's definitely a lot to that statement that isn't true.

hipsterdoofus
10-02-2009, 07:26 AM
As for parking, most new towers include their own parking. The building I work at in Atlanta (twin 16 stories towers) has the first 7 levels (so 23 stories total) dedicated to parking and it is all free.

That WOULD be the smart thing to do, wouldn't it? I believe its the BOA tower in Tulsa has several levels of parking at the bottom - alas, in OKC they have not done that and I don't think that right now there is a lot of extra parking for a large employer to move down here, so they would probably have to provide their own, thus additional cost.

metro
10-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Alas, only with a Memorial road address can you prove locally what a pretentious corporation you are.

I disagree with that statement. It's just white flight and cheap land, nothing more. I don't know of anyone in this city, especially the real players, that think Memorial Rd. is a pretentioius address, unless by Memorial Rd. you're talking about Gaillardia. Other than that, Nichols Hills, Edmond, or Downtown OKC are considered much more pretentious.

fromdust
10-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Well, hehe, if you build all the way out in the middle of BFE, things get pretty cheap. While I agree it is a ways out there, at least they are being more wise with spending, unlike Chesapeake, who rolled in, paid a premium for a city block and then paid premiums for everything they could acquire within a 5mi radius, only to offer lots of it for sale later. (Notice all the CHK 'for sale' signs around?)

One positive thing I will say is that the turnpike rolls right through that area, doesn't it? Or pretty close? There are some medical buildings sprouting up out there.

memorial isnt really bfe anymore. less so every year. beats the bfe southside any day.

sgray
10-03-2009, 12:39 PM
memorial isnt really bfe anymore. less so every year. beats the bfe southside any day.

Well, Memorial and what. You've got to consider where on memorial. Of course, memorial is BFE just a mile or so past I-35 to the east, and was bfe out west until the turnpike rolled in. Notice all the farmland still out there?

Financially speaking, compared to memorial and penn (for example), that area is probably still bfe in terms of land price compared to memorial and penn, or may, etc...

We have so much land closer into the city that remains unsused, I just hate to see so much push to drive further and further out when we haven't exhausted the resources in the city yet.

Popsy
10-03-2009, 01:54 PM
The Memorial corridor, with job creation expanding rapidly, should dictate that trolleys and rapid transit from downtown be implemented within maps 3 to allow people living down town to get to their jobs faster. ;)

Patrick
10-07-2009, 04:02 AM

Cheap land! And, it's a growing area. Plus, why hire college students when you can hire young professionals with degrees, which the Memorial corridor has plenty of?

Memorial Rd pretentious? Not really. Like others have said, Nichols Hills, Edmond, etc. are much more pretentious. I don't really consider all of the retail in Memorial between May and Penn to be really upscale and pretentious. Quail Springs Mall is just a traditional mall, not necessarily upscale. The only thing off Memorial that's really pretentious is Gaillardia.

HOT ROD
10-07-2009, 05:35 AM
ok, back to Shepard Mall.

What I would like to see is the mall going back to retail, but this time - do it in true urban fashion with a focus on OKC's ethnic/inner city communities. You know, the Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, filipino, black, latin (all the various countries, not just mexico), and 'alternative lifestyle'.

Shepard Mall is smack dab in the middle of the inner city zone that encompasses most if not all of these demographics; very near our university - OKC university, and very near the Asia District, the Paseo, the Plaza, 39th Street, and other local 'hoods.

I would like to see businesses (possibly from overseas) open up shoppes here for our local inner city population; at least there could be a great number of true ethnic restaurants and small shops - that would not only make Shepard Mall unique for the whole South Central and Great Plains region but would also be a TRUE destination for many residents, tourists, and students alike.

We need our inner city to become more urban, and also cator to urban people. Right now, OKC really doesn't have any thing to offer that is a true urban/big city experience (save AAlley and 'maybe' 39th street, but both are quite small at the moment).

That's my 2 cents (if nothing else, such a conversion certainly would lend OKC a LOT of 'street credibility' next time the NYT comes to visit).

metro
10-07-2009, 02:28 PM
How in the heck is NW 39th street even remotely close to a "big city/urban experience"?

HOT ROD
10-08-2009, 12:33 AM
have you ever been to big cities metro?

Most of them have a thriving gay neighbourhood and 39th Street is that for OKC. (do a drive-by and take a look at the number and quality of clubs down there).

Also, most big cities have a thriving gay community, and so does OKC.

Nothing to be ashamed or homophobic about. I think OKC should embrace all communities, certainly from a business prospective.

soonerguru
10-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Regarding 39th Street. It is fairly thriving, but it doesn't look so good these days. Now that being GLBT is not something to be completely hidden anymore, it would be cool to see that area perked up a bit aesthetically. It's very "hidden" when you drive by. Not much to see.

OTOH, it could be a fairly nice area with a mix of retail, restaurants, even housing, if folks with money and vision put their minds to it.

Wow. I'm just now realizing how absurdly off-topic this thread has become. What was it about again? Oh yeah, an insurance company building a call center in the burbs.

HOT ROD
10-08-2009, 12:46 AM
I agree guru.

Having a GLBT district in your city is actually a good 'cosmopolitan' thing and most districts reflect the quality and appearance of their customers; most GLBT individuals take good care of themselves and/or their appearance.

I agree that 39th street is a bit seedy and it would be great for that community to come together and make the strip more appealing. I think the days of them having to hide tucked away are over - again, it is just one more urban hood that makes OKC a wonderful place to live.

metro
10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
have you ever been to big cities metro?

Most of them have a thriving gay neighbourhood and 39th Street is that for OKC. (do a drive-by and take a look at the number and quality of clubs down there).

Also, most big cities have a thriving gay community, and so does OKC.

Nothing to be ashamed or homophobic about. I think OKC should embrace all communities, certainly from a business prospective.

Yes, been to most major cities in this country as well as a few overseas. You're a world traveler, come on man, do you seriously consider OKC's gay district on par with "urban experiences" in Seattle, Chicago, Toyko, Shanghai, Paris, San Fran? It's ok that we're not on the same level as these cities. I even LIVE in OKC so I'm probably more familiar with it. When you say 39th Street, most people immediately think of it starting around N. Portland and heading westward. The actual "route 66" strip that people still cruise (now full of car dealerships and fast food restaurants). Very few people I know, actually think of the "gay district" when you say 39th street. Our "gay district" is anything but thriving. As soonerguru pointed out, it (meaning the actual buildings/neighborhood) is definitely not anything to brag about. Sorry HOTROD, it's not a Chelsea in NYC or Castro in San Fran. or your own Capitol Hill district in Seattle.

Yes "gay districts" tend to be nicer than many of their surrounding neighborhoods, but not ours. Sorry but the Habana Inn, A Braums, rundown gas stations, car repair shops and a run down Homeland do not qualify as "nice". NW 39th Street Enclave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NW_39th_Street_Enclave)

It is run down and in need of major revitalizations. I'm not sure where you got the "homophobic" from as I didn't even mention anything about it, nor this district. Sorry, but when us locals think of "urban experience" we think inner city like Asian District, NW 23rd, Paseo, Plaza District, MidTown or Downtown.

soonerguru
10-08-2009, 08:10 PM
metro,

To clarify, I agreed that the area is "fairly thriving," but I pointed out it could be much more impressive aesthetically. I didn't mean to dump on it; just pointing out it could be improved.

It is fairly widely visited by people from around the state and is much more thriving than similar areas in many cities.

It could just look a lot better and be turned into a bigger retail/entertainment magnet than it is today.

jbrown84
10-10-2009, 05:00 PM
It will be closer for people in Piedmont to commute to this office than from MWC, Moore, Norman, etc.

It's practically in Piedmont. It's a shorter commute from KINGFISHER than Norman.

We have so much land closer into the city that remains unsused, I just hate to see so much push to drive further and further out when we haven't exhausted the resources in the city yet.

Exactly. Even Broadway extension would be way better. At least that's infill.

kevinpate
10-10-2009, 05:21 PM
they're just thinking ahead to the day when the new spot won't be needing infill as they will have already been there long before the sprawl gets on past them.