View Full Version : Korean Taco Truck Circling Downtown at Lunch

Urban Pioneer
09-28-2009, 02:22 PM
It was there, I tried it, I love it.

Seriously! We are turning into a big city! The husband and wife moved here from LA. She was a reporter, he a camera man. They got married and decided to move to Oklahoma City after a grueling schedule and high cost of living.

He takes the orders and she cooks in the truck. I had their burrito and it was awesome!

metro
09-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Awesome! Thanks for posting this Jeff. Next time text me if you see it, I'd love to try it.

kevinpate
09-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Ok, having a bad noggin day.

Is this Korean folk who operate a typical taco offerings truck, or Korean style tacos?

If the latter, how are they different from Tex-Mex fare?

okyeah
09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok, having a bad noggin day.

Is this Korean folk who operate a typical taco offerings truck, or Korean style tacos?

If the latter, how are they different from Tex-Mex fare?

it's what people call "Korean and Mexican fusion"....basically Korean meat + flavors in a taco, burrito, etc.

kevinpate
09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Sounds interesting

LakeEffect
09-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Do they drive around and stop for each customer, or just park for a while?

bluedogok
09-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Good luck to them, I hope they do well.

If any of you make it to Austin, you need to check out the assortment of trailers scattered around South Austin. There is a large collection of them on South Congress, you can find almost anything there. It would be nice to see a similar area develop in OKC.

CrimsonOberon
09-28-2009, 07:55 PM
I would appreciate it if anyone who knows a consistent spot where this van stops can post the info. I would love to try it.

onthestrip
09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
If any of you make it to Austin, you need to check out the assortment of trailers scattered around South Austin. There is a large collection of them on South Congress, you can find almost anything there. It would be nice to see a similar area develop in OKC.

Going for ACL this weekend. One of my friends already has some taco joints picked out for us to go to.

bluedogok
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, there are much more than taco trailers on South Congress, there is a little bit of everything there.

Enjoy the weekend down here, the weather should be pretty good. Much better than the searing heat that has affected it the past few years.

OKCMallen
09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
I would appreciate it if anyone who knows a consistent spot where this van stops can post the info. I would love to try it.

Ditto.

ksearls
09-29-2009, 08:09 AM
They were in front of OK Tower at lunch on Friday. The guy said they are twittering their location. If someone can find their twitter acct., let us know!!!

metro
09-29-2009, 08:19 AM
From Urban Pioneers pics, it appears the name is Kogi Shop. I couldn't find a twitter account with anything close to that, except KogiOKC. It has no info on it though so who knows.

Kogi Oklahoma City (KogiOKC) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/KogiOKC)

ksearls
09-29-2009, 10:22 AM
It's in front of OK Tower right now! Race ya!

ksearls
09-29-2009, 10:44 AM
OK, about to take a bite, it's the spicy pork taco and it is yummy and very spicy!

Ok, now the short rib taco. Very good too!

He said you can follow on kogishop on twitter but I can't find it!! I promised him 25 followers today! Make it happen!

kim

OKCMallen
09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Kim you jsut beat me! I'm at my desk with my tacos right now! He's super nice.

yun lee (kogishop) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/kogishop) is the twitter

they're thinking about hitting Bricktown at night. I mentioned N. Western might not be a bad idea as well.

Literally generational recipes. He's thinking about opening a downtown restaurant if it goes well. Made fresh every morning...definitely a restaurant style food idea, not just some crappy trucktaco.

$2.50/taco or $5/burrito with alunch special burger today. I think the short rib is good and the spicy pork very good. It's not a ton of food, but it's enough. I think it was $1/drink. I will definitely be back and hope to run into him more. Downtowners, I recommend if you're into this kind of food. Ask for extra sauce..it's spicy but not that hot.

metro
09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Mallen and I joined, and 5 others, only 18 more to go today!

And yes Mallen, you're correct on the prices, you can view the menu from Urban Pioneers pics above. Click on them to enlarge.

OKCMallen
09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
kogishop hello kogishop fans! we r at the corner of harvey n park!
40 minutes ago from mobile web

jarrington00
09-30-2009, 11:45 AM
From the pic above, it looks like they also have fried pies.

I look forward to trying them out. Anyone wanna post a pic of the food?

metro
09-30-2009, 11:48 AM
jarrington, I haven't had one but maybe Mallen, UP or ksearls can comment. I imagine the tacos are served in the "fried pies" sleeves.

JohnDenver
09-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I went down there and got all four tacos. In fact, eating them as I type.

The owners: they are a nice couple. They seem like they would be good to have as friends.
The food: If I worked down town, I would be eating there all the time. Not greasy. Not sloppy. Solid tacos for a good price.. and a nice fusion taco alternative.
They are the standard street taco size corn double tortillas. All the dark meats come in a red spicy sauce. The chicken taco didn't have it. They all have a cabbage "pico" type dressing on them. Then they are topped with two sesame seeds. My mouth is a little en feugo, but not bad.

The tacos are made to order and wrapped in foil, served on a paper plate. The fried pies looked fluffy and good, but they weren't my target this time. My stomach needed to be filled with mystery meat.

I enjoyed it a lot. I could eat four more right now ;)

positano
09-30-2009, 12:32 PM
jarrington, I haven't had one but maybe Mallen, UP or ksearls can comment. I imagine the tacos are served in the "fried pies" sleeves.

The tacos are in corn tortillas. The pies are in a traditional fried pie flour crust. If I recall correctly, the fried pies come from a relative of the folks who have the taco truck. Very good - usually several fruit varieties, as well as a pecan and a chocolate filled. They usually have a handful of the fried pie menus available if you are interested in checking out the stand-alone pie shop.

Roadhawg
09-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Sounds delicious... I may have to make a trip downtown for lunch :)

ksearls
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately, the pies are delicious. The rest of the DOKC staff and I rue the day that we discovered the irresistible, tasty, fruity-fried treats. Please, do yourself a favor and don't try the scrumptious coconut or the luscious lemon. Trust me.

decepticobra
09-30-2009, 02:00 PM
and they wonder why there are so many restaurants in oklahoma city. people here go bonkers over great food.

metro
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Finally had me some Kogi taco's for the first time today. Reviews are spot on. Friendly owners and fast service. Taco's are delicious. I had the short rib and also the spicy chicken. They were good on their own, but not spicy enough for my liking, next time I will ask for extra sauce. I also tried a chocolate fried pie, it was excellent! This lunch was definitely a unique and different experience for my palette and I can't wait to go back soon. I'm stoked the truck food/street food trend is finally hitting OKC. Big Truck Taco's, Kogi, the hotdog carts in Bricktown, and very soon, the Pops 66 truck!

OKCMallen
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
The chicken was very good. Probably my favorite. :)

metro
04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Whatever happened to Kogi, haven't heard from them in a long while.

JohnDenver
04-19-2010, 10:29 AM
The Kogi Truck Goes Bricks and Morter (http://blogs.wherethelocalseat.com/post/2010/04/The-Kogi-Truck-Goes-Bricks-and-Morter.aspx)

Not the same truck? The article doesn't say where it is... No idea.

Ahh, it is LA. Damn it.

JohnDenver
04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
kogishop (kogishop) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/kogishop)

They were still out and about in March.

metro
04-19-2010, 11:57 AM
yeah but their last tweet was March 5th, they used to tweet their location nearly everyday.

kevinpate
04-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Maybe they done got runned over by a Big Truck?

LakeEffect
04-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Maybe they done got runned over by a Big Truck?

Not quite... my guess is they got run over by the Man.

Ezrablum
04-26-2010, 05:19 PM
News of this unfortunate demise is not helping me in my search. My buddy is from L.A. and he had heard about this truck. Now it looks as though they folded before we even got to hear about them.

metro
04-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I wonder if they started hocking goods before getting all their inspections, permits, etc.