View Full Version : New I-40 at Amarillo Interchange

metro
09-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Work is rapidly progressing on the new I-40 and directly east of this interchange, things are rapidly changing. Does anyone have a link to any renderings or drawings of how this interchange will look and how I-40 will re-route into the new I-40? As many of you have probably seen there are now 4 lanes going east, 4 going west, and 4 in the middle that are blocked off. Will there be any new flyovers, etc?

Pete
09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
The only thing I could find is the following graphic from:

40 Forward: Oklahoma's I-40 Crosstown Expressway (http://www.40forward.com/)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/crosstown.jpg

metro
09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks Pete, but that's the wrong interchange.

Patrick
09-28-2009, 10:04 AM
There aren't supposed to be any major changes at the Amarillo junction.

Richard at Remax
09-28-2009, 10:23 AM
yes there are. click the link above, then click the building the crosstown tab, then view interactive map. then click west interchange and you will see. it looks like the areas that are being used now for i40 will be the on/off ramps

Patrick
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
The west interchange is between Agnew and Penn. That's far east of the Amarillo interchange. The Amarillo interchange isn't part of this and won't be touched or changed. There's nothing wrong with it. It's the interchange there by Mathis Brothers. The west interchange will be where the new I-40 will curve off of the existing I-40 and the new segment will start going east.

Platemaker
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
metro... I've been wondering about this too... but they have actually started demolishing the middle four lanes you mentioned closer to the I-44 interchange.

westsidesooner
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't think it's in the plans but I'd sure like to see I-40 have at least 3 lanes crossing I-44 both east and westbound, 4 would be better.

metro
09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
metro... I've been wondering about this too... but they have actually started demolishing the middle four lanes you mentioned closer to the I-44 interchange.

I noticed, but it seems as if the demo area, they have been grading the dirt and staking it, as if they were going to repave or re-reroute? Didn't know how exactly the old is tying into the new. I'd like to see some renderings and maps.

bombermwc
09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
I get the feeling they are rerouting to do pieces of the new connector at a time. It's not the amarillo junction at all. Unfortunately, we're stuck with that as-is.

They did the same junk at the Ft smith junction. Remember some ramps even went the wrong way for several years.