View Full Version : The History of Paseo

rondvu
09-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Someone recently told me that G A Nichols that built some of the homes in Heritage Hills. Built and developed The Paseo and the city of Nichols Hills; that he and J C Nichols of Kansas City were related. That both built and developed The Country Club Plaza in Kansas City and The Paseo in Oklahoma were related and that the two built their own versions of the automobile planned shopping areas in the 20's. The Paseo as we all know did not fair as well. Also a not it that Nicoma Park was his chicken farms and the town was to accommodate his workers.

flintysooner
09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I had never heard they were related although I know they were contemporaries. I knew Dr. G A Nichols developed Paseo as well as a good many other additions but I've never read anything about him being involved with The Plaza.

There were a lot of chicken farms around Nicoma Park but I've not heard about Nichols involvement there either.

Interesting to see if some documentation can be located.

Steve
09-27-2009, 08:30 PM
G.A. Nichols was a former dentist and was often called "Doc" Nichols. He was friends with, but not related to J.C. Nichols, who developed Country Club in Kansas City. History has it that G.A. Nichols was inspired by J.C. Nichols work when he developed Nichols Hills. Paseo preceeded Nichols Hills. I know of nothing that ties either man to the other's work.

okyeah
09-27-2009, 08:35 PM
yeah nichols had a part in Nicoma Park..."Nicoma" is actually a combination of Nichols and Oklahoma. there's more stuff here (http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/N/NI006.html)